Top Bantam A teams 2011-12

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Shoot Higher

Top Bantam A teams 2011-12

Post by Shoot Higher »

What teams will be strongest this season?

Bantam A FINAL (2011) LPH Last season

1 EDEN PRAIRIE
2 Woodbury
3 Elk River
4 St. Louis Park
5 Wayzata
6 Edina
7 Blaine
8 Burnsville
9 Osseo/Maple Grove
10 Rochester Red
11 East Grand Forks VFW
12 Brainerd
13 Roseau
14 Jefferson
15 Centennial
16 Duluth East
17 Mounds View
18 Stillwater
19 Andover
20 Rosemount
OneMoreYear

Post by OneMoreYear »

I'll bite. . .

I'll confine my opinion to metro teams, since I do not know about the outstate teams and who is staying at Bantams or moving on to H.S.

Even locally, there are a lot of unknowns about which 9th graders are staying in association - maybe someone with more intel than I (faint praise) can fill in gaps. . .

1.Edina (losing anyone to Benilde??)
2.EP (same??)
3.B'ville
4.Elk River
5.Sibley (assuming rumors of Fire, soon-to-be STA, kids following Coach to program)
6. OMG
7. Farmington (strong PWA group moving up)
8. Rosemount (same)
9. Wayzata Team 1 or Team 2 :):)
10. WBL
buttend

Re: Top Bantam A teams 2011-12

Post by buttend »

Shoot Higher wrote:What teams will be strongest this season?

1 EDEN PRAIRIE
2 Woodbury
3 Elk River
4 St. Louis Park
5 Wayzata
6 Edina
7 Blaine
8 Burnsville
9 Osseo/Maple Grove
10 Rochester Red
11 East Grand Forks VFW
12 Brainerd
13 Roseau
14 Jefferson
15 Centennial
16 Duluth East
17 Mounds View
18 Stillwater
19 Andover
20 Rosemount

Remove

Woodbury
St Louis Park
Blaine
Brainard
Roseau
Jefferson
Centennial
Duluth East

Add
Lakeville North
Sibley 8-9 fire kids , St Thomas BTM A team
Prior Lake
Bemidji
WBL
Farmington
Orono
Eastview
observer

Post by observer »

That would be called the Sibley Bantam A team. Schools don't have youth hockey teams.
buttend

Post by buttend »

observer wrote:
That would be called the Sibley Bantam A team. Schools don't have youth hockey teams.
Call it what you want Observer but the reality is there are 8-10 8th and 9th graders that will be attending St Thomas this year that are looking into the possibility of playing BTM A together at Sibley.

The majority of the players were slated to play on the Fire this winter. All but 1 do not live in the Sibley boundry and none of the kids moved into the Associations boundry. The 97 Fire coach is on the ticket to coach the team along with Vannelli's son. I'll call it St Thomas Academy BTM A team.
observer

Post by observer »

They can play for the association located where they attend school which is Sibley if they do end up attending St. Thomas. Sounds like the Sibley Generals could be strong.

St. Louis Park/Mpls-Park ended up getting a nice lift from some players that attended Benilde last season. Maybe Hopkins will figure it out with Breck too. Blake High School is in Minneapolis so maybe they'll get a few. Students lining up to attend Holy Family could end up on a Chanhassen team, Holy Angels at Richfield.
observer

Post by observer »

I do have a question though, why would these Sibley players be lining up to play single A?
Marty

Post by Marty »

observer wrote:I do have a question though, why would these Sibley players be lining up to play single A?
Assume you mean the STA kids. To many the ring is more important than what is written on the ring. A state title is a state title.
Bruins

Post by Bruins »

observer wrote:I do have a question though, why would these Sibley players be lining up to play single A?
Because the the other option was taken away from them.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

observer wrote:
I find it funny that the "powers that be" do everything possible to stomp out Tier 1 Hockey... Then the same "power" allows THIS and these private schools to add Tier 1 teams to their schedule like Shattuck St. Mary and Delbarton NJ.

Maybe the "power" should look into shutting down all private school programs since there's absolutely no difference. :idea:

Where's the common sense out there???
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

MrBoDangles wrote:
observer wrote:
I find it funny that the "powers that be" do everything possible to stomp out Tier 1 Hockey... Then the same "power" allows THIS and these private schools to add Tier 1 teams to their schedule like Shattuck St. Mary and Delbarton NJ.

Maybe the "power" should look into shutting down all private school programs since there's absolutely no difference. :idea:

Where's the common sense out there???
Public Charter Schools. Tuition free play where you go to school

How long can it be ??
observer

Post by observer »

This is just part of the "play for the youth association based where you go to school" discussion. The Sibley Generals will get to add kids that attend STA to their bantam teams. It will be a nice boost for the Sibley Bantam A and B1 teams and will make them more competitive than they've been in recent years.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

observer wrote:This is just part of the "play for the youth association based where you go to school" discussion. The Sibley Generals will get to add kids that attend STA to their bantam teams. It will be a nice boost for the Sibley Bantam A and B1 teams and will make them more competitive than they've been in recent years.
No common sense with this one. :roll:
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

observer wrote:
What planet are you from? :shock:
observer

Post by observer »

In regards to this discussion, tell me what you know?
Last edited by observer on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Buttend was being sarcastic with the STA A Bantam team thing....... I see you couldn't figure out my post either.
longrebound

Post by longrebound »

observer wrote:This is just part of the "play for the youth association based where you go to school" discussion. The Sibley Generals will get to add kids that attend STA to their bantam teams. It will be a nice boost for the Sibley Bantam A and B1 teams and will make them more competitive than they've been in recent years.
I thought when you played for an association other than the one in which you reside, you had to play B for the first year. After the first year you could play A. Do I have that wrong?
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

longrebound wrote:
I thought when you played for an association other than the one in which you reside, you had to play B for the first year. After the first year you could play A. Do I have that wrong?
4. Players waived for non-school attendance reasons shall be subject to the receiving association's policies in accordance with MH governing documents (e.g. may not be eligible for "A" team, may be assigned to lowest available team, etc.). They shall remain members of their Home Association, not the association they were waived into, with full rights and privileges accorded to all members of their Home Association, including voting rights.
longrebound

Post by longrebound »

Quasar wrote:
longrebound wrote:
4. Players waived for non-school attendance reasons shall be subject to the receiving association's policies in accordance with MH governing documents (e.g. may not be eligible for "A" team, may be assigned to lowest available team, etc.). They shall remain members of their Home Association, not the association they were waived into, with full rights and privileges accorded to all members of their Home Association, including voting rights.
5. Changing Schools
a. Players whose Home Association has been based on residence:
Players who newly enroll in a school outside of the boundaries of their Association of Residence without a corresponding change of residence, shall elect one of the following:
1. Retain full eligibility to compete at any classification in their Association of Residence; or
2. Be eligible at the "B" classification or lower in their new Association of School Attendance for
one (1) year beginning with the first day of attendance in the new school (a waiver is required).
b. Players whose Home Association has been based on school attendance:
Players who newly enroll in a school outside of the boundaries of their Association of School
Attendance without a corresponding change of residence, shall elect one of the following:
1. Have full eligibility to compete at any classification in their Association of Residence; or
2. Have full eligibility to compete at any classification in their new Association of School Attendance
if they completed the grades of school offered at their former Association of School Attendance; or
3. Be eligible at the "B" classification or lower in their new Association of School Attendance for
one (1) year beginning with the first day of attendance in the new school if they did not complete
the grades of school offered at their former Association of School Attendance.
c. Submit unusual circumstances to the District Director for determination. The Director's decision is final.
Quasar

Post by Quasar »

longrebound wrote:
Quasar wrote:
longrebound wrote: I thought when you played for an association other than the one in which you reside, you had to play B for the first year. After the first year you could play A. Do I have that wrong?
5. Changing Schools
Players who newly enroll in a school outside of the boundaries of their Association of Residence without a corresponding change of residence, shall elect one of the following:
1. Retain full eligibility to compete at any classification in their Association of Residence; or
2. Be eligible at the "B" classification or lower in their new Association of School Attendance for
one (1) year beginning with the first day of attendance in the new school (a waiver is required).
Players who newly enroll in a school outside of the boundaries of their Association of School
Attendance without a corresponding change of residence, shall elect one of the following:
1. Have full eligibility to compete at any classification in their Association of Residence; or
2. Have full eligibility to compete at any classification in their new Association of School Attendance
if they completed the grades of school offered at their former Association of School Attendance; or
3. Be eligible at the "B" classification or lower in their new Association of School Attendance for
one (1) year beginning with the first day of attendance in the new school if they did not complete
c. Submit unusual circumstances to the District Director for determination. The Director's decision is final.
It's complicated.. These are Bantams. Probably 9th graders. They can make a choice of any high School in the State of Minnesota. Which ever High school they choose they must attend, or loose their eligibility for a year. If they make the commitment to any private High School, and the high school decides to have them play Bantam they play at the association where the high school is located.

In this case Sibley..

I think this is a case of a whole team moving intact to an association that none of them comes from by using the one time private High School rule.

I am only reading between the lines here. If someone knows the actual details, let us know.
longrebound

Post by longrebound »

Quasar wrote:
longrebound wrote:
Quasar wrote: 4. Players waived for non-school attendance reasons shall be subject to the receiving association's policies in accordance with MH governing documents (e.g. may not be eligible for "A" team, may be assigned to lowest available team, etc.). They shall remain members of their Home Association, not the association they were waived into, with full rights and privileges accorded to all members of their Home Association, including voting rights.
5. Changing Schools
It's complicated.. These are Bantams. Probably 9th graders. They can make a choice of any high School in the State of Minnesota. Which ever High school they choose they must attend, or loose their eligibility for a year. If they make the commitment to any private High School, and the high school decides to have them play Bantam they play at the association where the high school is located.

In this case Sibley..

I think this is a case of a whole team moving intact to an association that none of them comes from by using the one time private High School rule.

I am only reading between the lines here. If someone knows the actual details, let us know.
I would agree with the portion in bold. :D
thespellchecker

Post by thespellchecker »

what if not a 9th grader?
Chuck Norris Fan

Re: Top Bantam A teams 2011-12

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

buttend wrote:
Shoot Higher wrote:What teams will be strongest this season?

1 EDEN PRAIRIE
2 Woodbury
3 Elk River
4 St. Louis Park
5 Wayzata
6 Edina
7 Blaine
8 Burnsville
9 Osseo/Maple Grove
10 Rochester Red
11 East Grand Forks VFW
12 Brainerd
13 Roseau
14 Jefferson
15 Centennial
16 Duluth East
17 Mounds View
18 Stillwater
19 Andover
20 Rosemount

Remove

Woodbury
St Louis Park
Blaine
Brainard
Roseau
Jefferson
Centennial
Duluth East

Add
Lakeville North
Prior Lake
Bemidji
WBL
Farmington
Orono
Eastview
I would not be so quick to count out teams like Centennial Roseau and Duluth East. They continually have strong programs, quality coaching and what happens at PW does not follow them to Bantams. They may not be the the power house teams of the mid and late 2000s however they will be teams to deal with when the season rolls around.
"I'm the cream of the crop, I rise to the top"
mnhockey2019

Post by mnhockey2019 »

observer wrote:They can play for the association located where they attend school which is Sibley if they do end up attending St. Thomas. Sounds like the Sibley Generals could be strong.

St. Louis Park/Mpls-Park ended up getting a nice lift from some players that attended Benilde last season. Maybe Hopkins will figure it out with Breck too. Blake High School is in Minneapolis so maybe they'll get a few. Students lining up to attend Holy Family could end up on a Chanhassen team, Holy Angels at Richfield.
Although the high school building for Blake is in Minneapolis, the school's mailing address (main campus) is it's campus in Hopkins, meaning any Blake students that choose to play for the association where their school is located would play for the Hopkins association.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

Hmm, really???? I suspect if they are in high school at the Minneapolis location, they might be allowed to play for Mpls? And Parade is like literally across the street? I don't know at all, I'm just guessing -- but the point may be moot since most Blakees now seem to come in from the more affluent suburbs anyway.

It would be nice to see a more thorough tracking of student/players in Minneapolis through bantams to high school. The Storm feeds 11 high school teams, many of them top tier programs from Holy Angels to Benilde to Blake and Breck. And the Novas had a surprisingly good year last year, losing to eventual champ Eden Prairie early in regions.

What will be interesting is to see what oach Sean Podein does with the St. LOuis Park program with last years state-worthy bantams, and whether the Storm kids open enroll at SLP to stay with their buddies.