Nice story on WCCO

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HockeyDad41

Nice story on WCCO

Post by HockeyDad41 »

Nice story on WCCO about Minnesota Made Hockey.

http://www.wcco.com/video/?id=73591@wcco.dayport.com
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Nice story.
spin-o-rama

Post by spin-o-rama »

The video says instruction can be up to $26/hour. It can actually be almost double. Breakfast Club is $379 for 10 45 minute sessions - $50/hour.

More WCCO hockey stories can be found here: http://wcco.com/sports They have a section on the state of hockey.
O-townClown

$

Post by O-townClown »

How much if I just want to jump around on those wooden things?
Be kind. Rewind.
ThePuckStopsHere

Re: Nice story on WCCO

Post by ThePuckStopsHere »

HockeyDad41 wrote:Nice story on WCCO about Minnesota Made Hockey.

Nice video!

Is it irony or arrogance that Bernie makes his players dress up like used car salesman for a meaningless hockey game, but he puts on his best Simon Cowell shirt for a TV interview? :lol:

At least he went to the beauty shop and got his chest waxed. :lol: :lol:
High Off The Glass

Post by High Off The Glass »

ThePuckStopsHere wrote:

Nice video!

Is it irony or arrogance that Bernie makes his players dress up like used car salesman for a meaningless hockey game, but he puts on his best Simon Cowell shirt for a TV interview? :lol:

Maybe he should take some more of his players parent's money and invest in a manzeer or bro.
AimHigh

Post by AimHigh »

High Off The Glass wrote:
ThePuckStopsHere wrote:

Nice video!

Maybe he should take some more of his players parent's money and invest in a manzeer or bro.
LOL!

Clown: Jumping on those boxes is FREE at MM!!! You just have to pay $50/hr for the verbal and emotional abuse that accompanies the jumping. :lol: :lol:
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

He must be doing something right. Just about every other AAA program around here calls the last 7 or 8 kids who tried out and begs them to be on the team whether or not they can skate, moves up kids from lower years to fill out rosters, or just plain skate with 9 kids on the team.
Doglover

Post by Doglover »

AimHigh wrote:
High Off The Glass wrote:
ThePuckStopsHere wrote: Nice video!

LOL!

Clown: Jumping on those boxes is FREE at MM!!! You just have to pay $50/hr for the verbal and emotional abuse that accompanies the jumping. :lol: :lol:
First thing that has made me laugh out loud since the Vikings defeat!! Thanks guys and thanks HD41 for posting the link - good humor. I agree he should've at least thanked the Blades - geez :roll:
WhosPuckIsItAnyways?

Post by WhosPuckIsItAnyways? »

Yes, Bernie does it right. Kudos to the guys who did the WCCO piece ... about time McBain got some credit for the great things he is doing for Minnesota hockey
trippedovertheblueline

Post by trippedovertheblueline »

no kids doing deep knee bends as punishment during a game?

no reference to i owe it all to "yellow cab"

Easy there checkbooks, this business is about profit not development, now he has taken it to the media. Don't rip on the press, pro athlete, or politician if you can't laugh at or with the Bernie Mcmoney
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

WhosPuckIsItAnyways? wrote:Yes, Bernie does it right. Kudos to the guys who did the WCCO piece ... about time McBain got some credit for the great things he is doing for Minnesota hockey
He really is providing a venue for better development.

That is not to say that there aren't some associations out there that do it right too. If you happen to be in one that isn't so great, at least you have an option.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

trippedovertheblueline wrote:no kids doing deep knee bends as punishment during a game?

Easy there checkbooks, this business is about profit not development, now he has taken it to the media. Don't rip on the press, pro athlete, or politician if you can't laugh at or with the Bernie Mcmoney
Knee bends? Never seen that in a game there. I have seen it in practices, but 10 knee bends is not going to psychologically scar anyone. It does get their attention though. I prefer that to the association where 3 or 4 kids who have no discipline can ruin a practice. If the kid is too delicate for a couple of knee bends or an earful when they are screwing around then maybe sports isn't their thing. By the way I am not endorsing true verbal abuse which I am sure has happened, but if you don't think it hasn't happened at the associations, then you are not being honest with yourself.

I get a kick out of the references to the fact that MM has to charge a fee for their services. Must be nice to be in an association that provides top level development free of charge. You'll have to let us know where that is! It costs me 18% more to have my son skate at MM. Next year it will be around 10%. Every year our association costs go up without any significant increase in the quality of product. Do you think that if people's kids were getting the type of development at their associations that they are getting at MM, Bernie would even have a business?

Finally, unless you have a monopoly, how business works is that if you provide a poor or overpriced product, no one buys it and you quickly close the doors. Ever seen the parking lot at MM? It's always full. Also, I have never seen a sheet of ice there sitting empty. This business is about development. The reward for a job well done is profit.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

We get it. You're in love.

Nobody understands what you're feeling, because they couldn't possibly have met someone as dreamy as you were lucky enough to find. Some say you're too young, it's only puppy love, there are others out there, but you couldn't imagine another.

Some of your girlfriends pick on you; they say he's a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks, but you know that he's just misunderstood. You are convinced that if you shout your joy from the mountain tops everyone will realize what a special thing you have.

We get it.
sorno82

Post by sorno82 »

The best way to increase page hits and increase website revenue is to mention MM, BM, or Edina. Same old tired arguments on both sides, but it does keep the website lurkers entertained and helps pay the website bills.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

InigoMontoya wrote:We get it. You're in love.

Nobody understands what you're feeling, because they couldn't possibly have met someone as dreamy as you were lucky enough to find. Some say you're too young, it's only puppy love, there are others out there, but you couldn't imagine another.

Some of your girlfriends pick on you; they say he's a bad boy from the wrong side of the tracks, but you know that he's just misunderstood. You are convinced that if you shout your joy from the mountain tops everyone will realize what a special thing you have.

We get it.
Good one. Well... Not really.
Last edited by HockeyDad41 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jackstraw

IM

Post by jackstraw »

Without agreeing 100% with all of Mr. IM's opinions, I do enjoy his clever responses, this one being one of his best!
HockeyDad41

Re: IM

Post by HockeyDad41 »

jackstraw wrote:Without agreeing 100% with all of Mr. IM's opinions, I do enjoy his clever responses, this one being one of his best!
I disagree. He's had much better. In fact I don't think he put much thought into this one at all. I'm a bit disappointed.
HeShootsHeScores

Post by HeShootsHeScores »

HockeyDad41-You're an irritant, go away.
This topic had run it's course with pros and cons and then you have to stir the pot AGAIN.
I repeat GO AWAY.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

HeShootsHeScores wrote:HockeyDad41-You're an irritant, go away.
This topic had run it's course with pros and cons and then you have to stir the pot AGAIN.
I repeat GO AWAY.
I'm gonna put you down as a "maybe" for supporting hockey democracy. Thanks for your input.
dogeatdog1

Post by dogeatdog1 »

[quote="HockeyDad41"][quote="trippedovertheblueline"]no kids doing deep knee bends as punishment during a game?

Knee bends? Never seen that in a game there. I have seen it in practices,

You must have never seen BM take out his frustrations on a 10 year old kid who gave up a goal after being up by 15 goals?... Here is how it works. He puts the kid outside the players box while his other little machines play 4 on 5 and has them do his famous knee bends for a shift or two.. Classy to say the least.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

dogeatdog1 wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:
trippedovertheblueline wrote:no kids doing deep knee bends as punishment during a game?

You must have never seen BM take out his frustrations on a 10 year old kid who gave up a goal after being up by 15 goals?... Here is how it works. He puts the kid outside the players box while his other little machines play 4 on 5 and has them do his famous knee bends for a shift or two.. Classy to say the least.
No I have never seen that. That's a pretty serious claim. No offense intended, but how do I know it's true?
High Off The Glass

Post by High Off The Glass »

dogeatdog1 wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:

I've seen it personally on several occasions. It's not a pretty sight!
GreatOne99

Post by GreatOne99 »

HockeyDad41 wrote:
dogeatdog1 wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote: No I have never seen that. That's a pretty serious claim. No offense intended, but how do I know it's true?
Confirmed. Seen it more that once. Agreed, not very classy.
HockeyDad41

Post by HockeyDad41 »

GreatOne99 wrote:
HockeyDad41 wrote:
dogeatdog1 wrote: Confirmed. Seen it more that once. Agreed, not very classy.
Anyone catch it on video?