Northern Wings tourney top 98 teams

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Wisconsin Coach

Post by Wisconsin Coach »

I think everyone hopes for that "AAA Utopia", skill development, challenging competition, good refs, nice rinks etc.
Do your research on any potential team. Some teams (and some coaches) will give you a sales pitch, it is up to you to ask questions and verify what you are being told.

Don't assume anything.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Wisconsin Coach wrote:I think everyone hopes for that "AAA Utopia", skill development, challenging competition, good refs, nice rinks etc.
Do your research on any potential team. Some teams (and some coaches) will give you a sales pitch, it is up to you to ask questions and verify what you are being told.

Don't assume anything.
If I am understanding you correctly the league is concentrating more on kids having fun than being competitive and develop skills. That is quite a lot of money to pay for a child to have fun playing hockey, get smoked by other teams (frustrating and embarrassing to the players that want to play ``elite`` hockey) and not develop any skills because they are slowed down by the players that are there for ``fun`` and not the competition
hockeycentral

noonespcial

Post by hockeycentral »

Why don't you give the midwest AAA elite league time? Was every other program built over night. Believe it or not, it will take time.
hockeymama323

Re: noonespcial

Post by hockeymama323 »

hockeycentral wrote:Why don't you give the midwest AAA elite league time? Was every other program built over night. Believe it or not, it will take time.
I just don`t understand Wisconsin Coach`s intentions for the league. It seems to me that he is not thinking competitively. Hopefully the league will improve as it grows and somethings will be done differently
Wisconsin Coach

I think you need to understand that I am saying "Caveat Emptor"!
Once again, ask a lot of questions, if you want skill development, ask the coach "how does this team promote skill development" and then verify. If you want to play in tournaments ask "what tournaments" and if they are "Open" or "Invite" and then verify the tourney does indeed have teams of the caliber you are looking to play against.

Example:
some AAA teams will talk about all the skill dev your player will get but will not give you any specifics, you may find out later they give you a stick handling ball for your player to use at home 1 hour a day. another AAA team will hand you a schedule detailing what skills and who will be instructing with the instructors resume.

This board is full of people that have been thru AAA, feel free to ask. But not all answer will be right for you, the more you verify the better off you will be when you do commit your dollars.
Wisconsin Coach

hockeymama323 quote I just don`t understand Wisconsin Coach`s intentions for the league. It seems to me that he is not thinking competitively.

I have nothing to do with the Min/Wis League, so I have no intentions.
Some Min/Wis teams are competitive and many are not.

Example 97 Bulldogs, not competitive, 98 Jr Bulldogs are. But that is only
looking at last weekend, that all may change next weekend depending on what the rosters look like.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Wisconsin Coach wrote:hockeymama323 quote I just don`t understand Wisconsin Coach`s intentions for the league. It seems to me that he is not thinking competitively.

I have nothing to do with the Min/Wis League, so I have no intentions.
Some Min/Wis teams are competitive and many are not.

Example 97 Bulldogs, not competitive, 98 Jr Bulldogs are. But that is only
looking at last weekend, that all may change next weekend depending on what the rosters look like.
You say 98s are competitive and 97s aren`t. That is not fair to the 3-5 players on the 97 team that wanted to play competitive hockey. That`s where I become concerned with the cost for the league.
Wisconsin Coach

Maybe the 97 Bulldogs will be competitive at the next tourney.
Let the coach and the Min/Wis League know that you are concerned.
But beware, will you be happy when they bring in a few ringers and those 3 to 5 "competitive" players end up with less ice time?

Make the best out of this, keep it positive to the best of your ability and start looking at a possible team that may fit you better next season.

Good luck. TYL
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

Wisconsin Coach wrote:Maybe the 97 Bulldogs will be competitive at the next tourney.
But beware, will you be happy when they bring in a few ringers and those 3 to 5 "competitive" players end up with less ice time?

Make the best out of this, keep it positive to the best of your ability and start looking at a possible team that may fit you better next season.

Good luck. TYL
Those 3-5 players would have someone to play with at their level or at least someone to challenge them to skate and play at or above their level. If they are not playing at the appropriate level then they need to be benched. If this is where the child wants to be then working hard is the objective.

I am trying to stay positive but it is a little frustrating. Take a look at the stats for the team. They have scored a total of 7 goals and one player has scored 3 and assisted 2. I feel that this player is not getting the challenge or competitiveness that he deserves in order to show his true ability and skills as a hockey player
hockeydad30

Post by hockeydad30 »

hockeymama323 wrote:
Wisconsin Coach wrote:Maybe the 97 Bulldogs will be competitive at the next tourney.

Good luck. TYL
Those 3-5 players would have someone to play with at their level or at least someone to challenge them to skate and play at or above their level. If they are not playing at the appropriate level then they need to be benched. If this is where the child wants to be then working hard is the objective.

I am trying to stay positive but it is a little frustrating. Take a look at the stats for the team. They have scored a total of 7 goals and one player has scored 3 and assisted 2. I feel that this player is not getting the challenge or competitiveness that he deserves in order to show his true ability and skills as a hockey player
You have to remember that this is a brand new team and it will build into a competitive team. 3years ago the Wings team never one a game. Then last year they won a bunch .Now this year they are hard to beat. Time. If your chils is good enoudg take him to an astablished team and try out. If not next year will be better I think.The 98 Bulldogs are a bit different because the coaches had time to recruite as well as some of the players can't afford to pay the whole shot at once and this team will let you play and pay as you go. You will notice that this roster will not change much.
hockeymama323

Post by hockeymama323 »

hockeydad30 wrote:
hockeymama323 wrote:

Good luck. TYL

You have to remember that this is a brand new team and it will build into a competitive team. 3years ago the Wings team never one a game. Then last year they won a bunch .Now this year they are hard to beat. Time. If your chils is good enoudg take him to an astablished team and try out. If not next year will be better I think.The 98 Bulldogs are a bit different because the coaches had time to recruite as well as some of the players can't afford to pay the whole shot at once and this team will let you play and pay as you go. You will notice that this roster will not change much.
You are exactly right. The 98s were formed by the coaches and they found the higher skilled players. The 97s seemed to be just thrown together and I wonder if some of those players were even looked at by a member of the league or if they just wanted to fill a roster.
stupidiswhatstupiddoes

Post by stupidiswhatstupiddoes »

hockeymama323 wrote:

Good luck. TYL

good lord - give it a rest.
play4fun

Post by play4fun »

stupidiswhatstupiddoes wrote:
hockeymama323 wrote:

Good luck. TYL

good lord - give it a rest.
When you get that specific -- it's pretty easy to guess who you might be?

Just a note of caution, as you seem to be quickly heading down a path most recently traveled by another parent who vented on this site not long ago. Remember, you reflect both on your child, and your team.

Really - let it rest and try to make the best of the rest of the summer. If your kid is as good as you believe, his opportunities won't be marred by one season of summer hockey.