Very true but sad situation

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WildFan

Very true but sad situation

Post by WildFan »

I'll keep the name of our assn. anonymous but this is a situation that took place in a end of the year tournament recently.
Last edited by WildFan on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

I would hope that the association is informed of the situation.
WildFan

Post by WildFan »

Oh they definitely have been informed by many even before this instance and word is he'll never be allowed to coach again in the assn. This is just once instance and you wouldn't believe the stunts this clown pulled.
iseepalms

Post by iseepalms »

Sounds like either Highland or Mpls Park.
cutanddrive

Post by cutanddrive »

iseepalms wrote:Sounds like either Highland or Mpls Park.
Unfortunately, it sounds like a lot of youth hockey teams. Too many.
puuck

Post by puuck »

If you are getting sat on a C team good luck at the next level. You will get cut from Varsity anyway so go try basketball.
WayOutWest

Re: Very true but sad situation

Post by WayOutWest »

WildFan wrote:I'll keep the name of our assn. anonymous but this is a situation that took place in a end of the year tournament recently. My neighbor's kid plays on a Squirt C team and they made it to the championship game in their last tourney and team event of the year. The SOB coach was so obsessed with winning he sat some kids for the last 2 periods and some otherkids for the 3rd period and played his top 2 lines basically for the final 2 periods. The parents were furious and the kids who were benched felt even worse. It's sad what this coach did to these kids. They still have their end of the year party and I guess it's going to get nasty. I just hope the parents don't make a scene in front of the kids. Very sad situation and disturbing.
If you sit kids at the Squirt C level, you are the cheesiest man alive!
That is beyond ludicrous, though I am not surprised that it happens. This guy should not be supervising kids in any way.
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

puuck wrote:If you are getting sat on a C team good luck at the next level. You will get cut from Varsity anyway so go try basketball.
Shut your mouth.. just because thats what you did doesn't mean its the right thing to do for two reasons.

1) Players develop at different ages. If your on the squirt "A" team but can't take a hit you will be nothing at pee-wee's

2) Love of the game. If you love the game of hockey why leave it? It's an awesome sport and many people enjoy it more then you.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
puuck

Post by puuck »

Im a parent, my children would never be on a C team.
Duluth 4

Post by Duluth 4 »

puuck wrote:Im a parent, my children would never be on a C team.
Why not... see here we go into the parent deciding the kids future.. how about this... LET THEM DECIDE... at the age of squirts the social aspect is almost as important if not more important then the actual hockey. The friends him or her makes at this age will be his friends through high school.
Release the Hounds. Trek to the X.
puuck

Post by puuck »

The coach decides what team they are on.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

puuck wrote:The coach decides what team they are on.
At the Squirt level any coach that does this should be ashamed. Hope the kids don't lose interest in the sport as a result of this.
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

Puuck, for being a parent you should be ashamed, your even worse then this coach. I just got done with my senior year of hockey and you want to know how many kids are on the varsity team from our a squirt team? 4 kids. Most squirts dont even understand what they are doing out there, all they know is they are playing a fun game with there friends so let them play, and quit being so arrogant.
If you look good, you play good.
puuck

Post by puuck »

The coach did what he needed to do to win the game, if that means sit the bad kids then do it. Coaches sit bad kids in hopes of them quitting. You cant cut them so weed them out by sitting them and get the parents mad. Hats off to the coach.
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

Are you kidding me? they are squirts! If the coach cares that much about winning a squirt game, he should find a new hobby. I don't know how they do it in your association buy in my home town, we let everyone have a spot to play no matter how bad or well the person can skate. Hockey is supposed to be fun, and at a level of squirts, winning doesn't matter.
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

puuck wrote:The coach did what he needed to do to win the game, if that means sit the bad kids then do it. Coaches sit bad kids in hopes of them quitting. You cant cut them so weed them out by sitting them and get the parents mad. Hats off to the coach.
Don't even attempt to talk to someone like this. He's obviously emotionally scarred from not having friends in high school, or ever for that matter. As a result, he subscribes to many internet forums in hope of making people angry like him in between sessions of his World of Warcraft Tournaments. :lol:
puuck

Post by puuck »

:lol: :lol:
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

ice00breaker wrote:
puuck wrote:The coach did what he needed to do to win the game, if that means sit the bad kids then do it. Coaches sit bad kids in hopes of them quitting. You cant cut them so weed them out by sitting them and get the parents mad. Hats off to the coach.
Don't even attempt to talk to someone like this. He's obviously emotionally scarred from not having friends in high school, or ever for that matter. As a result, he subscribes to many internet forums in hope of making people angry like him in between sessions of his World of Warcraft Tournaments. :lol:

A good friend of mine played C squirts with me. I even played a year of C pee wee before making the A team. We both captained our HS team, I went on to D3 college hockey and he is a captain of a D1 team right now, so don't tell me kids who arent great squirt players can't become good players.

This coach would be a joke if it were an "A" squirt team, let alone a C team.
ice00breaker

Post by ice00breaker »

Just to clarify things up for everyone, my post was directed towards puuck.
Soulforged

Post by Soulforged »

puuck wrote:Im a parent, my children would never be on a C team.
That's not what I have heard. 8)
JoeBoy

Post by JoeBoy »

WildFan wrote:Oh they definitely have been informed by many even before this instance and word is he'll never be allowed to coach again in the assn. This is just once instance and you wouldn't believe the stunts this clown pulled.
What else did this coach do ? sounds disturbing.
lamplighter

Post by lamplighter »

Hey Puke (or is that Ralph)... Herbie would be oh so proud of you! After all, his message was all about going for wins and losses @ the youth level, especially at the C squirt level. Development was never part of the equation because those C's and B's will never ever pass up those playing @ the A level in the pre-pubescent/peewee level.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

ok here is the positive and happy situation about this occurrence - the kids he sat will never grow up to be a coach like this. Simple as that.

Cheers!
fighting all who rob or plunder
mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

Puuck. you will never have kids period. There was a squirt game before my brothers the other day, and half the kids couldn't even rise the puck. this is not a place to be judging ability, or caring if they win or lose. Its just a game.
hockeyknight

Really Sad

Post by hockeyknight »

Not only is the basis of this thread sad, but what's more disturbing overall is the pressure parents and coaches are putting on kids in youth hockey to achieve the highest level every year.
It's one thing to take a kid to the rink for practices and games from October to March and BTW at the A level its' 5 times per week average. But what's the saddest is the fact that these kids are skating through the entire summer and in some cases doing nothing else. .... and guess what, this isn't Johnny wanting to do it. It's the parents burning desire to get their kid to the highest level. .... so they can brag about it, hope they play beyond hs OR FLAT OUT JUST DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TO DO.
Along with kids going to the rink 5-6 times per week is the unfortunate fact that often its for 2-3 hrs per night. HELLO...homework?
These parents need to look at themselves and realize that these are kids.......and they need to be kids.......PERIOD