Edina Squirt A team, Who developed the players?

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

The original post was asking...who developed all these kids? That's easy!

As a rap song said...it's all about the Benjamin's.

Most, notice how I used the word most, come from a family or community known for their money. What is Edina known for? Being a wealthy community. Therefore money developed these players, and probably having a better opportunities.

Nothing against it, but in hockey I think money plays such a larger role in things then other sports.
This is nuts!

Post by This is nuts! »

Money developed them.. The more you are willing to spend, the better the player..
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

This is nuts! wrote:Money developed them.. The more you are willing to spend, the better the player..
Money doesn't develop athletes. It may certainly provide the opportunity, but the money doesn't create the athlete. Now with that said, it surely could be that the good genetics play a part in earning and in athletics, which would put a good share of the talented athletes in Edina.
dlow

Post by dlow »

This is nuts! wrote:Money developed them.. The more you are willing to spend, the better the player..
Correct.
observer

Post by observer »

put a good share of the talented athletes in Edina
No. Frankly, not as athletic.
Ugottobekiddingme

Post by Ugottobekiddingme »

Here we go, another distraction accusing the 1% of taking over the world. News flash, the 1% doesn't live in Minnesota, try the coastal areas including Orlando Florida...you might find merit to your quest. Edina has a great program for all to engage in...if your athlete doesn't fit the program, there is soccer, lacrosse, baseball, football, tennis, chess, and "do you want to be a millionaire available on DVD". Development begins with the coach and ends with Associations.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

When will Edina start to put out some top end players? What is missing there? Does being cake fed affect them?

LITTLE Moorhead had six or seven in the pro ranks a year or two ago.... Not sure that Edina could have claimed to develop one?

When will we see a Backes type from Ediner?

Seems like there's almost a curse going on when you think of how huge their association is............ :idea:

Now let the crying begin :cry:
SECoach

Post by SECoach »

MrBoDangles wrote:When will Edina start to put out some top end players? What is missing there? Does being cake fed affect them?

LITTLE Moorhead had six or seven in the pro ranks a year or two ago.... Not sure that Edina could have claimed to develop one?

Seems like there's almost a curse going on when you think of how huge their association is............ :idea:

I'm not sure what all that means........

It begins with genetics, natural born talent, or whatever one chooses to call it. From there it is a matter of developing one to their potential, which is not that same from person to person. That development happens with opportunity and effort. Money can provide more opportunity, but money cannot create a great athlete from where there was little potential. Opportunity can also come in the form of a local rink close by, the right parents, coaches, and teachers to nurture that potential, and the right environment, such as a community that supports that particular interest. Any person discovering and then developing their specialty is one of life's great challenges. Some find something they can be very good at, and some don't.

I've always wanted to be a musician and have spent thousands of dollars on lessons from great teachers and thousands of hours practicing. I discovered long ago that my piano playing abilities are limited regardless of how much money I spend and even how many reps I get. I just enjoy playing now. On the other hand, there have been world class piano players that never had a lesson. All the money in the world won't make me a world class musician, or hockey player for that matter.
woodstick

Post by woodstick »

MrBoDangles wrote:When will Edina start to put out some top end players? What is missing there? Does being cake fed affect them?

=D>
redtundra

Edina hockey

Post by redtundra »

This is a great topic! As with most great topics, you're all right to a degree. I grew up in Cakeville and live elsewhere now. The fact is Edina is good at hockey for the same reason EP is at football and Apple Valley at wrestling: The expectation is different. You go into Braemar and you won't see any State 3rd Place banners. Win it all or you get nothing. Because of this mentality that was developed under Ikola, you get people who WANT their kid to be good at hockey and moving there for that reason. You get NHLers and major college players moving there. Then lo and behold, Bernie builds a groundbreaking training facility in Edina's yard. The first Choice leagues completely change the landscape - and are littered with Edina kids. Thier youth teams start to take over. The Machine and Blades (clearly the top 2 AAA programs overall) have many Edina players and parents involved. Money is crucial to keeping this going with all the travel, ice, etc. I heard from a buddy who had a kid on their PWAA team this past winter they easily spent $5,000 each. Money matters. So, you have a tradition built on winning, hockey people purposefully moving to the community (which is huge more for having that many more quality coaches in the association than anything else), MN Made next door, and money and the willingness to spend it. That's the recipe. BUT, the post regarding why Edina doesn't produce more high-end (D1 and pro) players is also very valid. I don't know the answer other than the fact that hockey is a mentally and physically tough game at the higher levels. Most people who make a living at it either have passion to burn (which may be difficult to attain when you have it relatively easy like many Edina kids), and/or are faced with the situation in life where either you make it, or you go back to the farm or to pump gas. Drive is underrated in sports. My 2 cents.
MrBoDangles

Re: Edina Squirt A team, Who developed the players?

Post by MrBoDangles »

goaliewithfoggedglasses wrote:
Bluewhitefan wrote:I came upon this post when searching for something related. While somewhat silly at the time, six years later some may find it interesting. I can fill in much of the fast forward.

Walker - 2 years PWA, 1 year BA, 1 year Edina Varsity, WHL in 10th grade
Jungels - 2 years PWA, 1 year BA, 2 years BSM varstiy
Kaske - 2 years PWA, 1 year BB1, 1 year BA, 1 year BSM mostly varsity I think
Bowlby - 1 yr PWB1, 1 yr PWA, 1 year BB1, 1 year BA, 1 year Edina JV
Zuhlsdorf - SQA, PWA (2), 2 years BA (BAA) - two national camps
Peronnovich - Not sure Edina JV now I think
Lawton - PWB1, BB1, BSM JV, some varsity????
Bloom - PWB1, BB2, BB1, not sure
Williamson - All A girls teams I think, Edina Varsity in 9th grade.
Meyer - PWB1, PWA, BB1, BA, Edina JV
Malmquist - Well documented
Fewer - PWB1, BB1, Sibley BA, STA JV
Dornbach - Same as Zuhlsdorf except 1 national camp
Foley - PWB1, BB1, BA, Edina Varsity

Like the OP, no idea who the 15th skater was - maybe there wasn't one.

0904 wrote:Here is the AAA team each player plays on

Jack Walker = 96 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Chase Jungels = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Mark Kaske = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Henery Bowlby = 97 machine {Minnesota Made}
Ryan Zuhldorf = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Luke Peronnovich = 97 Machine {Minnesota Made}
Jack Lawton = 96 Machine Pracrice Player {Minnesota Made}
Chris Bloom = 97 Machine Pracrice Player {Minnesota Made}
Taylor Williamson = 97 Machine Pracrice Player {Minnesota Made}
Paul Meyer = 96 Deuce {Minnesota Made}
Dylan Malmquist = 96 Deuce {Minnesota Made}
Joe Fewer = 97 Deuce {Minnesota Made}

Casey Dornbach = 97 Blades {His Dad is a Blades coach}
Ben Foley =?

Thats 14 of the 15 skaters, I do not know who the last skater is/or what if any AAA team they are on.

Two things: They all skate alot on AAA teams and most all of them for the Machine or Deuce.

Is it any wonder that people want to do MMs Choice league?
Funny, apparently Malmquist wasn't good enough to skate on the Machine.

I'm not sure what point the OP was trying to make though. None of these players skated in Choice when they were Mites because it didn't exist. They were all great players so they skated on a high end summer team, that's all. They were also an amazing winter team. If anything it should have encouraged people to move to Edina, not sign up for Choice.

Cue Bo.
:D

Enjoy while it lasts......?
DumpandChase1

Post by DumpandChase1 »

It seems to me Edina develops teams more than individual players. Just doing a little checking and found that since 2000 they have won 6 Pee Wee A/AA, 3 Bantam A/AA and 2 High School championships. My guess is they have had about 20 D1 players since then also. I don't think there will be too much crying going on in Cakeville.

BTW, Your pro players from Moorehead could only muster up 1 Bantam title in the same time frame.
spin-o-rama

Re: Edina hockey

Post by spin-o-rama »

redtundra wrote:the post regarding why Edina doesn't produce more high-end (D1 and pro) players is also very valid. I don't know the answer other than the fact that hockey is a mentally and physically tough game at the higher levels. Most people who make a living at it either have passion to burn (which may be difficult to attain when you have it relatively easy like many Edina kids), and/or are faced with the situation in life where either you make it, or you go back to the farm or to pump gas. Drive is underrated in sports. My 2 cents.
Good hypothesis. Drive and desire are very important.

Some things that will help with Bo's Moorhead/Edina comparison.

1) There were no facts documented. Bo saying "not sure" has never stopped him from throwing out wild figures.

2) Bo's claim of "LITTLE" Moorhead is a fallacy. The school district enrollment is about 5500. Edina is around 8300. Edina is huge, but Moorhead is still large. Roseau is LITTLE, not Moorhead.

3) Moorhead may have been an outlier a couple years ago. That's great. To say Edina should have to beat any outperforming community chosen in hindsight is ridiculous. It's no different than claiming the rest of Canada is no good at developing hockey players because LITTLE Brantford produced Greztky and the rest of the country with their superior numbers hasn't matched or surpassed.

In reality, Bo is not interested in helping the small communities, he is obviously a closet Edina fan and it agonizes him that they aren't more dominant.
Shinbone_News

Post by Shinbone_News »

MrBoDangles wrote:
When will we see another Backes type from Spring Lake Park?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

DumpandChase1 wrote:

It seems to me Edina develops teams more than individual players. Just doing a little checking and found that since 2000 they have won 6 Pee Wee A/AA, 3 Bantam A/AA and 2 High School championships. My guess is they have had about 20 D1 players since then also. I don't think there will be too much crying going on in Cakeville.

BTW, Your pro players from Moorehead could only muster up 1 Bantam title in the same time frame.

Hug your youth trophies closely
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Shinbone_News wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
When will we see another Backes type from Spring Lake Park?
We should have seen quite a few from ediner along the way

Right
MrBoDangles

Re: Edina hockey

Post by MrBoDangles »

spin-o-rama wrote:
redtundra wrote:the post regarding why Edina doesn't produce more high-end (D1 and pro) players is also very valid. I don't know the answer other than the fact that hockey is a mentally and physically tough game at the higher levels. Most people who make a living at it either have passion to burn (which may be difficult to attain when you have it relatively easy like many Edina kids), and/or are faced with the situation in life where either you make it, or you go back to the farm or to pump gas. Drive is underrated in sports. My 2 cents.
Good hypothesis. Drive and desire are very important.

Some things that will help with Bo's Moorhead/Edina comparison.

1) There were no facts documented. Bo saying "not sure" has never stopped him from throwing out wild figures.

2) Bo's claim of "LITTLE" Moorhead is a fallacy. The school district enrollment is about 5500. Edina is around 8300. Edina is huge, but Moorhead is still large. Roseau is LITTLE, not Moorhead.

3) Moorhead may have been an outlier a couple years ago. That's great. To say Edina should have to beat any outperforming community chosen in hindsight is ridiculous. It's no different than claiming the rest of Canada is no good at developing hockey players because LITTLE Brantford produced Greztky and the rest of the country with their superior numbers hasn't matched or surpassed.

In reality, Bo is not interested in helping the small communities, he is obviously a closet Edina fan and it agonizes him that they aren't more dominant.

:cry: :cry:

Talking association size

Edina is lacking hard in developing NHL talent
imlisteningtothefnsong

Edina Squirt A

Post by imlisteningtothefnsong »

Says Bo, "Hug your youth trophies closely"

This may be the top quote I have ever read on this forum!!!

Surely includes summer trophies as well. Forget development, confidence and game sense, just get the trophy!!!!
DumpandChase1

Post by DumpandChase1 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
DumpandChase1 wrote:

Along with the 11 High school trophies, 2 in the last 4 years. So should Edina feel bad for winning, or should they just dumb down the program so your team can compete?

But your right, the number of NHL players an association puts out should be the beanchmark.

Your song and dance is getting old!
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

DumpandChase1 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:
DumpandChase1 wrote: It seems to me Edina develops teams more than individual players. Just doing a little checking and found that since 2000 they have won 6 Pee Wee A/AA, 3 Bantam A/AA and 2 High School championships. My guess is they have had about 20 D1 players since then also. I don't think there will be too much crying going on in Cakeville.

Along with the 11 High school trophies, 2 in the last 4 years. So should Edina feel bad for winning, or should they just dumb down the program so your team can compete?

But your right, the number of NHL players an association puts out should be the beanchmark.

Yep, all that jazz and so few have done anything at the highest level.

"Beanchmark"- Edina has shown that depth kills.....

I'm on stage at 6, 9 and 12. \:D/
DumpandChase1

Post by DumpandChase1 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
DumpandChase1 wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:

Yep, all that jazz and so few have done anything at the highest level.

"Beanchmark"- Edina has shown that depth kills.....

I'm on stage at 6, 9 and 12. \:D/
Like I said, the one act play is dead. Your poor me and my little association can't compete with the big boys shtick is growing old. Too bad, deal with it and try to make your program better instead of trying to tear down all the other ones.

Depth kills? It's called a team, in a team game. So what if very few individuals make the NHL, there are plenty in D1.

Edina, or any other association, should never have to appolagise for being successfull. Make yours better.

Wayzata has depth. They have 1 PWA, 2 BA and zero HS titles.
OMG has depth. Don't think they have any titles.
WBL has depth. 1 PWA, 1 BA, zero HS titles since 2000.

Depth doesn't always equal success.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

It seems for the sake of this discussion what would matter most is the number of hockey players in an association. I know two seasons ago Edina had about 330 boys in their Mite program. That same season Moorhead had about 60 and Roseau had about 30. For the sake of this discussion that would make Moorhead look a lot more like Roseau than Edina.

You can dwell on a lone Bantam title all you want, but Moorhead appearing in 7 HS title games in an 18 year stretch with a relatively small to medium number of kids says a lot more about their long term developmental methods than the number of youth hockey titles they have, which is probably far more impacted by short term factors such as numbers and demographics than long term development.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Moorhead seems to be doing fine.

Not sure what the expectation is when it comes to NHL players. Also, I'm not sure who counts. Anders Lee played in a few games this year. Going back a generation, Dave Maley played a while and Paul Ranheim played a long, long time.

Are you looking for the community to turn out a solid NHL lifer every year? Every decade? What?

For perspective, a friend from Quebec is a HUGE Montreal Canadiens fan. I asked if anyone he knew, grew up with, or played against EVER played for the Canadiens.

"Oh no....!"

Edina seems to be doing fine in the player development area. Sure, take shots they don't feed the Olympic team or send more guys to the NHL. By that standard, what community does well in the Twin Cities?
Be kind. Rewind.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Add Bill Nyrop from Edina who played college at Notre Dame and played for the Montreal Canadians in the mid 70's as a defenseman. He played a regular shift and was with 3 Stanley Cup winning teams.

Americans were starting to get a foothold in the NHL but an Minnesota/American on the Canadians was very rare then.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/bi ... =&state=MN

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/us-state ... stats.html

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/us-state ... stats.html

It should be amazing for anyone that Edina has had so little talent in the NHL when programs bordering them have had plenty. You'd think it would be the other way around.

Take away the kid that never really played at Edina and the Anders Lee types that moved there after playing half their youth somewhere else and you have next to nothing.

No need to be defensive.

Reason for this???