The Real 2007 /2008 Bantam A Rankings

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will EP Repeat?

Fo Sho
35%
No way
65%

Total votes: 140

MNHockeyFan1

Post by MNHockeyFan1 »

thorhockey wrote:myhockeyman wrote
Unlikely to effect top 20, but I didn't hear what happened at the Super Rink. Anyone?
A young Tartan A Bantam team won the ship
Cloquet 3 -1
Moundsview 6 - 4
Lakeville 4 - 2

IMO unlikely to get into top 5 as last years team but should make a good showing as the year wears on. Tartan continues to develop solid, consistant goalies - including A PW
Cloquet put up a good fight against them. Cloquet just doesn't have any offense, from what it looked like that game. Cloquet put up 11 shots. Cloquet's goalie had a very solid game.
myhockeyman

hmmm...

Post by myhockeyman »

Elliot70 - I've seen you or others post the 11/15 date, but I thought that was when you started playing games. So the weekend of 11/9-11/11 the Jamboree in Bemidji was with a roster that wasn't set against at least some teams that had been playing as a team for a month?

Is that a district rule or habit or why would you start up to a month after teams from the cities?

Do you think MNHockey should remove all scores from that weekend? Kinda curious what others think.
elliott70

Re: hmmm...

Post by elliott70 »

myhockeyman wrote:Elliot70 - I've seen you or others post the 11/15 date, but I thought that was when you started playing games. So the weekend of 11/9-11/11 the Jamboree in Bemidji was with a roster that wasn't set against at least some teams that had been playing as a team for a month?

Yes, the D16 teams rosters were not set. The D16 teams basically went 1,2,3,4. Not sure what happened in Thief River but that should have been similar.

Is that a district rule or habit or why would you start up to a month after teams from the cities?
We start when we can. Tryouts start in a range from 10/25 to 11/5. Depends on ice being ready, deer season, harvest season etc...

Do you think MNHockey should remove all scores from that weekend?
If you are referring to the web-site rankings, I do not see a need to change. The northern teams are about right (in repsect to each other). Any move from here on will have to be earned (or lost).

Kinda curious what others think.
RushnCircles

Re: ranks

Post by RushnCircles »

my2cents wrote:rankings will turn upside again now that HS/JV tryouts took their toll on some teams. Yes CNF, Bantams are down this year.

Osseo - not a top 30 team.
WBL - embarrassed in EP. Did they loose players to HS?
Anoka - decent but not top twenty. Lost one to JV.
DE - good skating but flakey in team play.
GR/Moorhead - outstate boys know how to play the game.
Champlin - lost at least one top player to HS.
Blaine - beats everyone they should but gets clobbered by the top teams every time.
Coon Rapids - off the radar but showing some goal scoring punch.
Stillwater/Roseville - the best two from D2 and both top twenty calibur.
Minnetonka - still good after they lost a good player.
Wayzata - nice win over EP.
St Cloud - no losses to HS/JV but still a bad week for them.
Faribault - off the radar but playing well.
stillwater and roseville are not top 2 for d2 stillwater loss two players ( one being a goalie) to hill murray and roseville tied nsp, lost to maht 5-2 , and i think has no chance against white bear
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

In repsponse to Mr Danglz... I appreciate your concern for my rankings. However I have two responses for you.

1st. Jefferson and Kennedy each do have a bantam A team, however the kids in the association can pick which team to tryout for. So in essence all the kids could try out for jefferson. That makes them one team in my book.

2nd. I take into consideration all sorts of things not just numbers. Like did they play their crappy back up goalie? and that is why they lost. or did they have several injuries that caused them to loose. No computer does that.

Like I have said before, take my opinon or leave it. I looked at the MNHockey website and I think it is great. Just some things to think about. If you win in a shootout, game should be listed as a tie, not a victory. Did they outplay their opponent and run into a hot goalie some bad luck or bad refs. Computers don't make those adjustments... right or wrong I do.
shoot to thrill

Post by shoot to thrill »

myhockeyman,

I wouldn't say that you should totally eliminate scores from prior to a certain time but you need to factor in where teams were at in their formation when the game happened. As far as team websites for information, again, consider the source. I have seen websites that do not post properly (tie game becomes a victory, scrimmage loss not shown, etc.). Some of that is because they know that people use information for rankings. All it means is that it is important to try and verify information as much as possible in order to be as accurate as possible.

The reality is that rankings are always subjective and don't mean much...any team can beat another team on any given night no matter how they are ranked. But I still think it is fun to try and put together ideas of where teams are ranked whether it is your page, Chuck's or LPH. The end result is that even though it is all quite meaningless it's still fun to follow and kids love to see their team on the top 20 lists.
highschoolhockeyfann

Post by highschoolhockeyfann »

Chuck Norris Fan wrote:In repsponse to Mr Danglz... I appreciate your concern for my rankings. However I have two responses for you.

1st. Jefferson and Kennedy each do have a bantam A team, however the kids in the association can pick which team to tryout for. So in essence all the kids could try out for jefferson. That makes them one team in my book.

2nd. I take into consideration all sorts of things not just numbers. Like did they play their crappy back up goalie? and that is why they lost. or did they have several injuries that caused them to loose. No computer does that.

Like I have said before, take my opinon or leave it. I looked at the MNHockey website and I think it is great. Just some things to think about. If you win in a shootout, game should be listed as a tie, not a victory. Did they outplay their opponent and run into a hot goalie some bad luck or bad refs. Computers don't make those adjustments... right or wrong I do.

I have a question about your number one. I find that interesting that they can pick what team they want to play for, my question is and this is what i heard, Jefferson only had 40 kids tryout or something do you know how many Kennedy had? but if Kennedy had alot more (which is kind of doubtful) why did'nt some kids who were good enough to make A on Kennedy come over to Jefferson to play. Would'nt they want to play for a better team and also play more games? but i guess you have to consider how the coach would feel if you were his best player and you went to your towns other school.
DaSTeK

Post by DaSTeK »

Why would chuck norris know anything about that?

Each kid makes their decisions. Personally if i lived in Bloomington i like Jefferson's colors and they are an overall better team with a better rep. So i'd pick JEfferson. Jaguars > Eagles.

But if i couldnt make the Jaguars A team or Varsity team why teh hell would i try!

I'm pretty sure jefferson is better just because thats what its known for, and that the Dominant team in Bloomington could switch just like that if the kids planned it.
highschoolhockeyfann

Post by highschoolhockeyfann »

sry i was just wondering
DaSTeK

Post by DaSTeK »

Sorry for making it seem like i was attacking you, i just wanted to shove on someone for a bit to make a point.

No hard feelings i hope.
SMNHockey22

Post by SMNHockey22 »

Just to clear this up for you richeyhockey...the Rochester team that took 3rd at albert lea was the Rochester 2 team. Meaning that it is their second best bantam A team. They are not bad at all but nothing near what the A1 team is.
DaSTeK

Post by DaSTeK »

They don't have equal bantam A teams?

So is the A1 team a "lookout" for?

any competitiveness? Or is Rochester still rebuilding.
theoneandonly1

Post by theoneandonly1 »

Kennedy players can't just come over and play for Jefferson whenever they want, they have to be enrolled in the high school by getting a waiver and then they can tryout for jefferson. Oh and to answer highschoolhockey fan's question kennedy has very little kids tryout, maybe 15 kids.
jackstraw

Roch

Post by jackstraw »

Kind of interesting; Faribault beats the Roch. #1 team then turns around and ties the # 2 team. Maybe things aren't always as they seem?
SMNHockey22

Post by SMNHockey22 »

Just shows that you have to show up to play every game. The A1 team from Rochester is very good, and Rochester teams also seem to improve GREATLY as the season progresses. In my opinion the group of A2 players isn't as far behind the group of A1s as they used to be.
hockey34721

Post by hockey34721 »

the duluth lakers are a good team and they played like crap in hopkins and should win the cloquet tournament this weekend
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

A couple of tourneys this weekend. Nothing to exciting, things just get muddy looking at all the scores.

1. Wayzata - #1 again
2. EP - bounced back after first real lost / then lost again
3. East - not impressive as of late
4. St. Cloud - only 3-2 over anoka?
5. Edina - played alright in shattuck
6. Bemidji -
7. Duluth Lakers -
8. Burnsville – beats tonka in league
9. Minnetonka - loss to burnsville
10. Centennial - still can't score a goal, pounded on teams but lost games
11. Champlin / Brooklyn Park – lost to centennial, then wins Moorhead tourney
12. Moorhead - can't win their soft tourney
13. Roseau - beat down on grand rapids
14. Grand Rapids - drops one to the head
15. Jefferson / Kennedy – lost to edina in league
16. Eagan -
17. Woodbury – goaltender is all they have
18. Osseo -
19. White bear - played better in shattuck still placed 8th
20. Stillwater - leading D2 right now.... how long will that last
boblee

post 8726

Post by boblee »

Chuck,

You are making that Rapids-Roseau game sound way worse than it was. It was 4-2 Roseau in the third. Rapids was without their top defensemen and a top two line forward. They had to run 2 centers, 3 sets of wings and 4 d. it was closer than 9-3. And the Moorhead-Rapids game should be looked at as a tie. It took overtime and 9 rounds of shootout to decide who got the trophy.
my puck 12

Post by my puck 12 »

[/quote] couple of tourneys this weekend. Nothing to exciting, things just get muddy looking at all the scores.

1. Wayzata - #1 again
2. EP - bounced back after first real lost / then lost again
3. East - not impressive as of late
4. St. Cloud - only 3-2 over anoka?
5. Edina - played alright in shattuck
6. Bemidji -
7. Duluth Lakers -
8. Burnsville – beats tonka in league
9. Minnetonka - loss to burnsville
10. Centennial - still can't score a goal, pounded on teams but lost games
11. Champlin / Brooklyn Park – lost to centennial, then wins Moorhead tourney
12. Moorhead - can't win their soft tourney
13. Roseau - beat down on grand rapids
14. Grand Rapids - drops one to the head
15. Jefferson / Kennedy – lost to edina in league
16. Eagan -
17. Woodbury – goaltender is all they have
18. Osseo -
19. White bear - played better in shattuck still placed 8th
20. Stillwater - leading D2

I dotn think that bemidji or the duluth lakers shold be up there. What have they done this year??
my puck 12

Post by my puck 12 »

Chuck,

You are making that Rapids-Roseau game sound way worse than it was. It was 4-2 Roseau in the third. Rapids was without their top defensemen and a top two line forward. They had to run 2 centers, 3 sets of wings and 4 d. it was closer than 9-3. And the Moorhead-Rapids game should be looked at as a tie. It took overtime and 9 rounds of shootout to decide who got the trophy.

ya it was 4-2 going into the third but u really think that the defensman could have scored 6 more goals. and who are the two forwards missing i really think that they had all of there forwards. Roseau also had one guy missing he is about 6"2, 200 pounds so i really dont think u should be complaining
ToePull43

Post by ToePull43 »

puck you beat me 2 it....ya roseau was missing big d ...ya plus hit at least 2 posts and missed wide open net 2 times rapids would have needed whole new team to change outcome :oops: sorry bob :-({|= smurfs need som size
jackstraw

?

Post by jackstraw »

Chuck, does Faribault get a peek?
T_dub_Dad

Post by T_dub_Dad »

Chuck...

St. Cloud 4th? FIRE beat them 9-2

Come on dude!
jackstraw

tier 1

Post by jackstraw »

I don't mean to speak for Chuck, but I don't think these ratings are for tier 1. These are Mn association teams, Shattuck and the Fire are tier 1 teams. Yes, both teams would be very deserving of a top spot, but I think that is more of a credit to Mn hockey then the other way around.
T_dub_Dad

Post by T_dub_Dad »

Jack, I am with ya on that one.

My point was only to hear Chuck's reasoning for St. Cloud #4...

Maybe I should have asked it that way.

Hey Chuck, St. Cloud #4, how could that be?