The Real 2007 /2008 Bantam A Rankings

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will EP Repeat?

Fo Sho
35%
No way
65%

Total votes: 140

richeyhockey_7

Post by richeyhockey_7 »

rochester finished third at the albert lea invitational... i'm not sure that they're worthy of a top 20 spot
hansenhockey88

Post by hansenhockey88 »

I think our best win this season would have to be Andover beating them 19-0.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

bardown wrote
So, hansenhockey, what is your best quality win so far this year?
hansonhockey wrote
I think our best win this season would have to be Andover beating them 19-0.
First of all it's a facetious question
Second , I wouldn't call that a quality win - try again
Fiveh0le10

Post by Fiveh0le10 »

Minnetonka had a huge weekend winning the Burnsville Holiday Tournament with a huge 5-0 win over Champlin Park
boblee

post 8631

Post by boblee »

Chuck's #2 team goes down.

Grand Rapids 2
Duluth East 1
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

Wow, Some great play this weekend by lots of teams. Is it me or is Bantam A hockey down this year. Still Fun to watch.

1. Wayzata - Beats EP to repeat as Tourney Champs (#1 for now)
2. EP - goes down to Wayzata 4-1, still can't win their own tourney
3. East - falls to Grand Rapids
4. St. Cloud - we have all heard the 19-0 by now... what else can they do?
5. Moorhead -
6. Edina - Lost some depth to HS this will hurt
7. Bemidji -
8. Duluth Lakers -
9. Minnetonka - Winners of 2nd tier tourney
10. Grand Rapids - Wow storms onto the Board with big win over East
11. Centennial - can't score a goal, but plays Big Boys tight
12. Champlin / Brooklyn Park – got 2 champ game in B tourney & got thumped
13. Burnsville – Showed well this weekend
14. Roseau - lost a tight one to East
15. Jefferson / Kennedy – just an average team
16. Eagan - not a great showing in EP
17. Osseo - Good Showing this Weekend in Burnsville tourney
18. Woodbury – goaltender is all they have
19. Anoka - Played well this weekend/ lost tight one to St. Cloud
20. White bear - was terriable again in EP, only here on potential
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

Chuck-- Champlin Park is not combined with Brooklyn Park. Brooklyn Park merged with Tri City. The players that were playing with BP last year lived in the city of Brooklyn Park but with in School District 11 and chose to play with Champlin Park as all that lived in this area had a one time choice as to which assn. to play for.
myhockeyman

questions

Post by myhockeyman »

Which Duluth team played in the Hopkins tourney over the weekend? They struggled, losing 2 of 3, only beating Mpls Park in OT. Lakers?

Stillwater ties St Cloud tonight, despite the saga, they deserve some mention in the list.

I wish we had more reports from outstate, but Bemidji seems too high, GR too low.

Unlikely to effect top 20, but I didn't hear what happened at the Super Rink. Anyone?

Always looking for missing scores at http://mnhockeyrankings.com/
Chuck Norris Fan

Post by Chuck Norris Fan »

greybeard58 wrote:Chuck-- Champlin Park is not combined with Brooklyn Park. Brooklyn Park merged with Tri City. The players that were playing with BP last year lived in the city of Brooklyn Park but with in School District 11 and chose to play with Champlin Park as all that lived in this area had a one time choice as to which assn. to play for.
So What you are telling me is that the kids chose what association to play for, and these are not the kids who were on this team traditionally in the past?
my2cents

ranks

Post by my2cents »

rankings will turn upside again now that HS/JV tryouts took their toll on some teams. Yes CNF, Bantams are down this year.

Osseo - not a top 30 team.
WBL - embarrassed in EP. Did they loose players to HS?
Anoka - decent but not top twenty. Lost one to JV.
DE - good skating but flakey in team play.
GR/Moorhead - outstate boys know how to play the game.
Champlin - lost at least one top player to HS.
Blaine - beats everyone they should but gets clobbered by the top teams every time.
Coon Rapids - off the radar but showing some goal scoring punch.
Stillwater/Roseville - the best two from D2 and both top twenty calibur.
Minnetonka - still good after they lost a good player.
Wayzata - nice win over EP.
St Cloud - no losses to HS/JV but still a bad week for them.
Faribault - off the radar but playing well.
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

What I am stating, that since Champlin Park was formed there was a area with in the Champlin Park school district that also was in the city of Brooklyn Park. Over the years the agreement on who should have a choice became very cloudy. The one time choice back in the 90's never had an ending date. When Brooklyn Park re-signed their affiliate agreement with Mn Hockey it's boundaries were defined as school district 279 instead of the city of Brooklyn Park and Champlin Park boundaries are the attendance area of Champlin Park high school district 11. This change ended a grey area and now there are clearly defined boundaries and so an agreement was reached and most players that lived within this former grey area were given a choice because of some confusion in the past.

Champlin Park has not merged with any one and Brooklyn Park is now North Metro(?).Most of the players for Champlin Park have always played for Champlin, there are some new players for Champlin that previously played for BP that live within the former grey area.
Duluth East Hockey Fan

Re: post 8631

Post by Duluth East Hockey Fan »

boblee wrote:Chuck's #2 team goes down.

Grand Rapids 2
Duluth East 1
Chuck,

I think if you were to get north and see some games you would see that Roseau and Grand Rapids are both top 5 teams. Grand Rapids is as good if not better than EP, Wayazata and Duluth East.

Bemedji and Moorehead aren't far behind. This group of northern teams is the strongest we've seen in several years.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

It does seem the overall level of play is down this year but I can't recall a year with more kids opting for Varsity, JV, or tier 1. Losing even a couple of players at the top of a roster has a huge impact. Its not only whats lost but someone must fill that spot, great opportunity for more kids but also effects the level of play. Look at the Wild..no Dimetra or Koivu and they are clearly a different squad.
CB00

Bantam Rankings

Post by CB00 »

There is a website hhtp://mnhockeyrankings.com/ that is new for Minnesota. It has MN Bantam A and PWA rankings based on a mathematical formula. It does a great job without any bias. MYHockey.com has been doing this for years for the winter AAA programs thoughout North America. Take a look, fun to watch. It also updates all the scores of every team. Looking to see how "someteam" did, click results tab and it will show you every game the team played. Good stuff.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Have to agree with the north posts.

Moorhead
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Roseau
Bemidji

Could be interchangeable, but that is how I see the top 5 in the north without a lot of difference in them.
michaelfloorwax

Re: Bantam Rankings

Post by michaelfloorwax »

CB00 wrote:There is a website hhtp://mnhockeyrankings.com/ that is new for Minnesota. It has MN Bantam A and PWA rankings based on a mathematical formula. It does a great job without any bias. MYHockey.com has been doing this for years for the winter AAA programs thoughout North America. Take a look, fun to watch. It also updates all the scores of every team. Looking to see how "someteam" did, click results tab and it will show you every game the team played. Good stuff.
http://mnhockeyrankings.com is the site..not (hhtp)
my2cents

ranks

Post by my2cents »

CNF has met his match......

......a computer.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Nice sight...
one problem is scores reported... only looked at Bemidji, but D16 scores (perhaps not all but most games) prior to Nov 16 were for the purpose of selecting teams and not win/lose...
but their rankings still seem to be pretty appropriate.
Mr. Danglz 69

Post by Mr. Danglz 69 »

i think your rankings are whack. Why would tonka and cennteniel be before jefferson in your so called"official rankings" Last week jefferson beat tonka 5-1 and they just beat cenntenial 3-2 in the 3rd place game at the E.P. tourny. seems like you dont know your stuff
Mr. Danglz 69

Post by Mr. Danglz 69 »

oh and also kennedy and jefferson are two seprate teams!
shoot to thrill

Post by shoot to thrill »

I agree with Elliot...nice site but they shouldn't use the scores from each teams website as their primary source. Many teams will show scrimmage games on their site that may not have been 'officially' done especially if they think that they "won". When you have one team playing with their final team and another still finishing tryouts OR no official refs OR penalties only meaning that a player is replaced on the ice, it is not an official game and should not be used in rankings (although it will probably be recorded on their website if they won). I also know that some teams are slow (or never) put up scrimmage losses etc. on their own websites.

It's to easy for team managers to make things look good on their own site so you should only use league websites or tourney results as their primary source for scores if they are looking for accuracy.
thorhockey

Post by thorhockey »

myhockeyman wrote
Unlikely to effect top 20, but I didn't hear what happened at the Super Rink. Anyone?
A young Tartan A Bantam team won the ship
Cloquet 3 -1
Moundsview 6 - 4
Lakeville 4 - 2

IMO unlikely to get into top 5 as last years team but should make a good showing as the year wears on. Tartan continues to develop solid, consistant goalies - including A PW
myhockeyman

Post by myhockeyman »

shoot to thrill wrote:I agree with Elliot...nice site but they shouldn't use the scores from each teams website as their primary source. Many teams will show scrimmage games on their site that may not have been 'officially' done especially if they think that they "won". When you have one team playing with their final team and another still finishing tryouts OR no official refs OR penalties only meaning that a player is replaced on the ice, it is not an official game and should not be used in rankings (although it will probably be recorded on their website if they won). I also know that some teams are slow (or never) put up scrimmage losses etc. on their own websites.

It's to easy for team managers to make things look good on their own site so you should only use league websites or tourney results as their primary source for scores if they are looking for accuracy.
I appreciate the feedback. I can see this being an issue, it is outside the state as it relates to August games. I personally think all competitively played games are fair game to be recorded and count, but you are spot on when indicating that you have to compare apples to apples. Should MNHockey kill all game scores before 10/15 or 11/1? I'm seriously interested on your feedback. Do it here or send me email - address on site.

Only about half the leagues post results, making leagues, as of now, an unreliable source of scores. I pretty much use any source possible (team website, league website, tournament website, email, volunteers, etc). Top teams will end up with almost all game scores posted where less competitive teams end up with a mixed bag. Not yet there as I'm sure I'm missing some EP, Wayzata, Centenial, Stillwater and Lakeville N/S scores. Heck, I don't even have all the scores from the EP tourney last weekend. Moorhead and DE tournaments the next two weekends should take care of that...
labattblue17

Post by labattblue17 »

Edina behind St CLoud? What is the reasoning behing this?

In all honesty I doubt Grand Rapids is better than E.p or Wayzata (They very well could be better than DE, was not impressed by them) but who am I to talk I have never seen them. Anyone know if E.P or Wayzata plays GR this year?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

myhockeyman wrote:
shoot to thrill wrote:I agree with Elliot...nice site but they shouldn't use the scores from each teams website as their primary source. Many teams will show scrimmage games on their site that may not have been 'officially' done especially if they think that they "won". When you have one team playing with their final team and another still finishing tryouts OR no official refs OR penalties only meaning that a player is replaced on the ice, it is not an official game and should not be used in rankings (although it will probably be recorded on their website if they won). I also know that some teams are slow (or never) put up scrimmage losses etc. on their own websites.

District 16 posts league results (standings & scores) at Bemidji Youth Hockey web page.

District 16 does not start play unitl mid November. November 16 this year, everything prior is to be used as palyer evaluation for final rosters

I appreciate the feedback. I can see this being an issue, it is outside the state as it relates to August games. I personally think all competitively played games are fair game to be recorded and count, but you are spot on when indicating that you have to compare apples to apples. Should MNHockey kill all game scores before 10/15 or 11/1? I'm seriously interested on your feedback. Do it here or send me email - address on site.

Only about half the leagues post results, making leagues, as of now, an unreliable source of scores. I pretty much use any source possible (team website, league website, tournament website, email, volunteers, etc). Top teams will end up with almost all game scores posted where less competitive teams end up with a mixed bag. Not yet there as I'm sure I'm missing some EP, Wayzata, Centenial, Stillwater and Lakeville N/S scores. Heck, I don't even have all the scores from the EP tourney last weekend. Moorhead and DE tournaments the next two weekends should take care of that...
Last edited by elliott70 on Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.