STILLWATER COACH RELEASED

Discussion of Minnesota Youth Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ponyparty

STILLWATER COACH RELEASED

Post by ponyparty »

Stillwater Area Hockey Association Traveling Board Fires Long Time Bantam A Coach

Last week the Stillwater Area Hockey Association traveling board voted to replace 12 year Bantam A head coach Mark Tollefsbol. Aspects of the decision not to bring back the 12 year volunteer requires scrutiny. It should be noted that Stillwater Area Hockey Association players “generally” come from the Stillwater school district and are selected based on skills regardless of where they live in the district or the schools they attend. Bantam players are mostly kids in 8th and 9th grades and are 13 and 14 years old. The Stillwater Area Hockey Association and the school district are not affiliated legally or financially but the traveling association can be construed to be the foundation for future high school varsity and junior varsity players.

This season after the Bantam A hockey team was chosen, the kids making the Bantam A team elected a player attending Hill Murray as their captain. The Stillwater high school varsity coach Phil Housley is alleged to have pressured Mr. Tollesfbol into reversing the teams decision and to select another player who “was” attending a Stillwater district school. Mark Tollefsbol rejected whatever arguments were made for reversing the teams decision and the player the team selected remained captain. Housley pulled his son from the Bantam A team and his son subsequently made the High School Junior varsity team.

On Tuesday last week, some varsity players from this years team and parents of students attending Stillwater High School attended an association board meeting to express their support of Mr. Tollefsbol. Apparently the board was meeting to decide what to do with Mr. Tollefsbol, and at least one of Tollesfbol’s past players and several members of this years varsity team called around to get past and present players and parents up to the meeting in support of the Bantam coach. More than a handful of players were present. On Thursday morning during a meeting of the traveling board, Mark Tollefsbol was fired. No notice of this meeting was provided to association members.

No specific “hockey” reason has been given why the traveling board decided a change was necessary, but a couple of other bits of information on the surface seem troubling. First, the Thursday traveling board meeting was held and Mr. Tollefsbol was not asked to be present, yet the varsity coach was. In addition, the traveling board consists of two members that have junior year sons that did play some varsity this past season, and a third board member had a son on the Bantam A team. This member’s son was allegedly disciplined by coach Tollefsbol during the season for being disrespectful. A fourth traveling board member has been the Bantam B-1 coach for the past several years and has expressed some interest in the past in the Bantam A job.

So, if you are having trouble reading between the lines, it might be there were issues with the varsity coaches son not being named captain, or issues with not being able to control the traveling association coaches, or issues with the varsity coach not being able to accept the independent actions of the traveling board.
shoot to thrill

Post by shoot to thrill »

The only information I have to go by is what you have written but if what you say is true, then the Stillwater H.S. coach should be the one who is being scrutinized and possibly fired. Pulling his kid from a team and putting him on the JV team (I'm sure he 'earned' his spot) is BS and shows a lack of a team approach to hockey. I know he used to be a great player but that doesn't mean he is a good coach and it certainly doesn't mean that he should pull his kid from a team.

If the team voted a private school kid to be captain, then he should be the captain. I support the BA coach on that one. You shouldn't overrule a team vote and for someone to pull their kid for that reason is stupid.

Anyway, it's so easy for youth hockey program Boards to buckle and cater to their H.S. programs especially at the Bantam A level where the parents are beginning to look at how to get their kid on the H.S. team. If this BA coach was a good coach and they got rid of him because of this, it will end up hurting their program in the long run.

Good coaches that don't have kids on the team are hard to find especially in youth hockey (and apparently in Stillwater, H.S. hockey). It is good to hear that the parents supported him it's just to bad that the Board didn't.
highschoolhockeyfan

Post by highschoolhockeyfan »

its in the high school hockey forum if u did not see that
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

This is pretty messed up. I say good for the Bantam A coach for sticking to his guns and if this is true, shame on the high school coach for sticking his nose where it didn't belong. Good coaches who are willing to dedicate their time are rare. It wont take another association long to hire this fella.
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

heres 1 vote 4 the bantam coach if this is all true, hopefully h.s. coach isnt involved as people say
wannagototherink

Support the Coach

Post by wannagototherink »

I first want to say that I may be biased on this subject, because the coach involved lives in my community and I know him personally.

With that, I have to say that the Stillwater board blew this one. Coach Tollefsbol is an honorable man and tremendous hockey coach. His teams have always competed at a very high level, and have also carried themselves very well off the ice. Outside of hockey, he teaches his kids what is truely important in life. He teaches them discipline, respect and with this latest issue he taught them what integrity is. I applaud Coach Tollefsbol for standing up for what is right and sticking to his guns. The kids in that program should not have to be ashamed or hide the fact that they intend to attend a private school or any other school. The stillwater hockey association is there to provide an equal opportunity for the young boys/girls of that community a place to play hockey. While I can appreciate the frustration of losing kids to private schools from a high school coaches prospective, it is a reality of life in Minnesota hockey and it is NOT the responsiblity of a youth coach to consider high school attendance when deciding what is best for the youth team. His ONLY responsibility is to those kids on that team, to pick the best players for that level and provide them with a positive learning environment. I think if you poll the kids who have come through his program, that commitment has always been there.

I have also seen first hand, that the coaches around the state at the Bantam A level are quite close. That is evident by the fact that all the top teams seem to be at all the big tournaments throughout the year. One of the things that has added to the success of the Stillwater program is that they have been invited to participate with the top programs around the state in these tournaments. I have heard through the grapevine and actually seen an email that attests to the fact that they are now going to exclude Stillwater from many of those events because of the way Coach Tollefsbol was treated. I have actually talked to one coach who said, it would be a disservice to ourselves if we don't support a member of our coaching fraternity. I have to agree.

I hope there is a message sent to all of the hockey boards out there, that a volunteer non-parent youth hockey coach is hard to come by, let alone a good one and that by just gettting rid of them on the whim of a high school coach can have a negative affect on their association. If I were the parent of a Stillwater hockey player, I would immediately contact your association and tell them they have made a mistake. Does anyone really think the high school coach will be there after his kid is gone. He acts as if high school hockey is below his level of greatness as it is. Shame on you Stillwater Hockey Association, you have let a good man go!
"I've never seen a dumb-bell score a goal!" ~Gretter
Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux »

Very sad state of affairs :!:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Off2Hockey

Post by Off2Hockey »

Coach Tollesfbol was to accompany Housley to AZ for a golf outing. When Coach Tollesbol wouldn't remove the "C" from the Hill Murray player, Housley retracted the invitation and told Coach Tollesbol that he would no longer coach in Stillwater.

It must be noted that the Pres of the Youth Hockey Assoc., Tom Dick, allowed his son to tryout for this premier A Bantam team two years in a row knowing full well who the Coach was. The kid didn't make it either year.

The VP of the Assoc., Tony Kalupy, also allowed his son to tryout and make the team two years in a row, knowing full well who the Coach was. This undiscipled, disrespectful kid chose to quit the A team instead of correcting his behavior. While playing at the B1 level, he was suspended for 5 games during District playouffs for repeatedly kicking a player on the ice! He never saw ice again.

Both of these kids will be playing for Housley next year as will two other boys of two more guys on the traveling committee.

This Board did not represent it's members at all. Two people on the traveling committee have sons on the A team; two people on the on the Board have sons on the team. The Tuesday night Board meeting was packed with past and present parents and players supporting Coach Tollefsbol, and the Pres & VP were the only ones in opposition.

In fact, Tom Dick threatned one of the traveling committee members in attendance several times during the meeting that "if this doesn't happen, Phil won't participate in developing the program", and "you know about this...".

The secret meeting was called for Thursday at 6am where Tom Dick cast the deciding vote to fire Coach Tollesfbol.

This is absolutely ludicrous and nothing short of personal vendetta's, a witch hunt, a lynching. Coach Tollesfbol doesn't deserve this and a lot of folks want to know what, if anything can be done about it.
lxhockey

Post by lxhockey »

The Stillwater association should be having its annual member meeting
soon? At this time it is normal to vote for new association officers. Vote
the good old boys out and vote in folks who have the good of the entire
association at heart without personal agendas.

All it takes is for more good people to get involved. You have seen what
happens when the good people do NOT get involved.
runingwithechukchi

Post by runingwithechukchi »

This kind of thing goes on every year in local associations. It is a shame when a person gives their love of the game back to the youth only to have it destroyed by clicky parents and politics. I say find another association to coach and show them what they are missing. Listen to Pearl Jam (Given to Fly).
hardpuck

Post by hardpuck »

Sounds like a lot of funny business and hidden agendas going on here. Too bad for the bantam A coach and the players. Maybe Stillwater needs to access if Housley is worth the off ice team issues. His last winter's team had several discipline issues, he is also catering to his son/making up for lost time. With all the above stated poor handling of a kid going to Hill Murray and this bad press, Housley hopefully will have a better year next winter! On the bright side, I know the bantam B1 coach referenced above is good, so if he moves up it will be OK. I heard the peewee A head coach wants to coach his son that moves up next year, so he may get the shot. But he is known as a control nut and rumors are flying that his oldest son is going to Hill next year too.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I agree with Housley on this one. If it's a known fact that the kid is going to play for Hill next year, why should he be captain at Stillwater? If I was Housley I wouldn't have even wanted him on the Bantam A team. The youth program is supposed to act as a feeder to the high school program, so if the kid is not going to be there next year, then why not try to develop someone who might actually play high school hockey in Stillwater?

I agree the way the whole thing was handled with the coach was wrong, but something needs to be done with system to stop players from using their associations.
gopher25

Post by gopher25 »

I think you are missing the point about Housely here. I don't think it had as much to do with who was the captain of the team and that he was going to Hill Murray.
It was that his kid, who really isn't that good of a player to begin with, wasn't MADE the captain by the coach. This was not the first time a Hill Murray kid was VOTED the captain of a Stillwater "A" bantam team.

Housely thought he could strong arm the coach into changing his mind. When he didn't and was embarassed in a vote by the Stillwater Board he made it is personal vandetta to get the coach fired. It is just sad that the board and its members can not see through what housely's real goal is and that is to move on and coach at a higher level. He wants what is best for himself and his son, not anyone else. Stillwater will pay for this move for a long time and it is sad to see.
Rattlin' Cages

Post by Rattlin' Cages »

Reality Check, how good was the Bantam A' Team for Hill Murray this year? :roll: Where else was this kid suppose to play? If I choose to send my children to a private high school does that mean we should home school them until that time or can I send them to a public school in the community until they reach that point? Will the public school teachers not want to educate my children knowing they'll attend a private high school?

Too bad for Stillwater's players, seems like they just lost a good coach and for what real reasons we may never know.
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Rattlin' Cages wrote:Reality Check, how good was the Bantam A' Team for Hill Murray this year? :roll: Where else was this kid suppose to play? If I choose to send my children to a private high school does that mean we should home school them until that time or can I send them to a public school in the community until they reach that point? Will the public school teachers not want to educate my children knowing they'll attend a private high school?

Too bad for Stillwater's players, seems like they just lost a good coach and for what real reasons we may never know.
"If you don't play my way, I am taking my toys and going home and there will be no fun for you" I heard my 4 year old sister say that last night. Nice example Mr. Housley.
lxhockey

Post by lxhockey »

Stillwater association members can and need to force the board to be accountable for this action and to follow MN Hockey procedures as outlined in their Affiliate Agreement with MN Hockey.

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/handbook ... /AFFILIATE

H. Grievance Resolution
Affiliate shall provide for the prompt and equitable resolution of grievances of its members, including fair notice and opportunity for a hearing to any amateur athlete, coach, trainer, manager, administrator, or official before declaring such individual ineligible to participate.

This means that before the board can 'fire' this coach, they have to adhere
to their own (mandatory) grievance process AND they have to have
a grievance meeting with this coach to give him an opportunity to speak on his own behalf.

If this doesn't happen, the Stillwater Association is violating their affiliate
agreement with MN Hockey. Association members also have the responsibility to hold their association board accountable.

Consequences for breaching the affiliate agreement:
V. BREACH
In the event that Affiliate shall breach any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, or any of the By-Laws, Rules and Regulations, Playing Rules or decisions of the Board of Directors of MH (which provisions are incorporated herein by this reference as though fully set forth herein), then MH shall have the right to impose sanctions pursuant to By-Law Article 6 of MH’s By-Laws and/or terminate (subject to a 30 day right to cure) this Agreement and the status herein granted to Affiliate.

Stillwater Association Members, it is up to you to right any wrongs. I think you have seen overwhelming support from folks on this forum, but the actions now needing to be done can only be done by you. It is your association and will only be as good as you help make it be.
Mildman

Stillwater Coach

Post by Mildman »

[quote="Reality Check"]I agree with Housley on this one. If it's a known fact that the kid is going to play for Hill next year, why should he be captain at Stillwater? If I was Housley I wouldn't have even wanted him on the Bantam A team. The youth program is supposed to act as a feeder to the high school program,

THis is a joke, right? a program where everyone pays the same price? Now we got to ask what school you might go to on your enrollment form? Its a development system for the good of the kids, not the High School..... If the school is paying for it as a development system, now thats a different animal....

Lets be pleased that the better the kid gets, the better options they get. its a nice reward for all involved. Coaches should be proud of that progression, whatever school or educational choices they make. Stillwater Coach missed the boat here.... Not a battle worth fighting.... Now SPA will have a Bantam B1 team... do we want to chase families away any earlier?

If thse kids wont get a fair shake, they will play elsewhere... and do you think the kid that was captain would ever consider coming back to play now? SHort sighted and dumb...
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

if that guy is interested in coaching he should come to rosemount. Im sure they would be happy to have a good coach and a stand up guy like him.
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

To ask the coach to take away the "captainship" of a kid just because he doesn't attend Stillwater H.S is just plain wrong. If the coach had let this happen, it would have destroyed the team dynamics and set up the replacement captain for failure. If the Hill kid was born with the gift of being a natural leader, I think the team would have continued to look to him as their leader regardless of Housley's wishes.
MNSS

Post by MNSS »

Stillwater Hockey has lost in all facets of this whole situation. This will show up negatively for years to come. The people on their board should have thought this decision through much better.
runingwithechukchi

Post by runingwithechukchi »

My guess is the people on the Board are too scared to stand up to the few who run the program, Housely or his backers. The board members more than likely knew this was wrong but were afraid of the implications it may have on thier children at the High school level down the road. What a sad situation, the kids are the ones who lose here.
carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy »

If this truly went down the way many on here are stating, then Housley should be terminated from his position. It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks. The School Board has the authority to do that at any time.
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

Charliedog wrote:To ask the coach to take away the "captainship" of a kid just because he doesn't attend Stillwater H.S is just plain wrong. If the coach had let this happen, it would have destroyed the team dynamics and set up the replacement captain for failure. If the Hill kid was born with the gift of being a natural leader, I think the team would have continued to look to him as their leader regardless of Housley's wishes.
Sure it is a kick in the nuts when the leader of your Bantam A team will not be attending your high school but the Youth program and the HS program are seperate entities and no way should anyone other than the coach or the hockey board be able to mandate policy with respect to team captaincy. This is a team issue.
hardpuck

Post by hardpuck »

WOW!
This post is getting a lot of views! 2621 in the 3 days posted.
Hot topic, but not many posting after viewing.

# of posts// days posted //avg posts per day // Topic
2621 // 3 // 873.7 avergage posts per day //Stillwater Coach Fired
1770 // 17 //104.1 //B1 rankings
2916 //28 //104.1 //super series
2405 //16 //150.3// best Bantam A
4299 //72 //59.7 //best hitting team
3173 //53 //59.9 //Get rid of HEP point
inthestands

Post by inthestands »

This is another black eye for the sport of youth hockey. "If things happened the way explained here"

It doesn't matter who is involved, or what town it happens in. This is what happens when parents, no matter who they are or how much hockey know how they have, get involved in something they have no business in.

Whey decisions are made for personal reasons, and not what's best for the players and team, bad things happen. And will continue to happen as long as we are allowed to make the same mistakes over and over again.