MN HP Spring and Tier 1

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

oldmaverick

MN HP Spring and Tier 1

Post by oldmaverick »

MN HP - Just saw the Sect 2/6 HP18 and HPSr. Team - Some interesting selections - This is a no tryout process and kids that have never made a Spring HP Team in a tryout format are now on the Teams. It's evident that if your HS program is involved you get kids on these teams. I wonder if it's like this in the other sections as well.

I've also heard MN Hockey is moving the AAA date back earlier again - all in an effort to lock MN kids in and not allow them to play AAA for the options out there i.e. Blades, Blizzard, TC Selects, Machine, etc...If they are Bantam eligible players in MN.

What's the point of trying to not let these kids play in out of state tournaments in the fall?

How long till one or all of these program sue MN Hockey?
thefatcat

Re: MN HP Spring and Tier 1

Post by thefatcat »

oldmaverick wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:11 am MN HP - Just saw the Sect 2/6 HP18 and HPSr. Team - Some interesting selections - This is a no tryout process and kids that have never made a Spring HP Team in a tryout format are now on the Teams. It's evident that if your HS program is involved you get kids on these teams. I wonder if it's like this in the other sections as well.

I've also heard MN Hockey is moving the AAA date back earlier again - all in an effort to lock MN kids in and not allow them to play AAA for the options out there i.e. Blades, Blizzard, TC Selects, Machine, etc...If they are Bantam eligible players in MN.

What's the point of trying to not let these kids play in out of state tournaments in the fall?

How long till one or all of these program sue MN Hockey?
So anyone can feel free to educate the uneducated....did the cut off date for fall Tier 1 used to be mid-Oct, then it was moved to end of Sept and then it was or is being moved to mid-Sept? I am not sure what MN Hockey gains by moving these dates up, who cares if a kid is playing in a tourney in Chicago or Boston in late September?

On the other side of the coin, at least the Ted Brill 18 rosters are just named and they forego the sham tryouts where you waste $100 when everyone knows who they're going to pick in advance
oldmaverick

Post by oldmaverick »

My only thought on the date continuing to be pushed up - is they are trying to bolster the fall Tier 1 to better represent at the national tournament in the Spring that they go to - which has been a joke for several years.

The $100 money grab is real for sure - There are 60 - 06' skaters and 17 goalies for the Section 2 - HP 16's tryout - lol.....these kids were supposed to be nominated by the HS coaches - So they nominate all of the 06' and they all pay $100....for 3 skates of an hour, no zam, no ref, no coaches on the benches.

At HP 15's District 6 - the 2 coaches on the ice pick the Team there are no evaluators in the stands.

MN Hockey needs to spend money and get evaluators in there to pick Teams and actually get the best player on these Teams - way too much - good old boys network going on, they are doing a disservice to the these young athletes unfortunately.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

oldmaverick wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:11 am My only thought on the date continuing to be pushed up - is they are trying to bolster the fall Tier 1 to better represent at the national tournament in the Spring that they go to - which has been a joke for several years.

The $100 money grab is real for sure - There are 60 - 06' skaters and 17 goalies for the Section 2 - HP 16's tryout - lol.....these kids were supposed to be nominated by the HS coaches - So they nominate all of the 06' and they all pay $100....for 3 skates of an hour, no zam, no ref, no coaches on the benches.

At HP 15's District 6 - the 2 coaches on the ice pick the Team there are no evaluators in the stands.

MN Hockey needs to spend money and get evaluators in there to pick Teams and actually get the best player on these Teams - way too much - good old boys network going on, they are doing a disservice to the these young athletes unfortunately.
Personally, I feel the High School coach nomination is a crock of showers. High School coaches have nothing to do with Minnesota/USA Hockey. Let it be a fundraiser like every other state's "Select" process for national camp attendees. If you're feeling lucky and want to give it a try, sign your kid up and donate your $100 BUT be ready for cuts after the first session. You're not going to get rid of the good ole boys by depending on good ole boys for nominations. Of course, this would work only if Minnesota Hockey actually used the extra fundraising to hire evaluators.