HDM 2023

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

HDM 2023

Post by BodyShots »

You heard it here first.

WBL vs HM
Maht vs Herm

Hopefully two good games!
Brodziak Fan Club

Re: HDM 2023

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Wow. Two of the best matchups they've ever had? Sort of surprised White Bear and Hill agreed to play what could be a crucial section-seeding game outdoors.

edit: Same goes for state seeding with Hermantown and Mahtomedi.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:41 pm Wow. Two of the best matchups they've ever had? Sort of surprised White Bear and Hill agreed to play what could be a crucial section-seeding game outdoors.

Well I'd guess the exposure is worth it. Heck, I'd consider going if I happened to be in MN, but I don't plan to be...
Brodziak Fan Club

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:27 am
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:41 pm Wow. Two of the best matchups they've ever had? Sort of surprised White Bear and Hill agreed to play what could be a crucial section-seeding game outdoors.

Well I'd guess the exposure is worth it. Heck, I'd consider going if I happened to be in MN, but I don't plan to be...
I suppose. I just find the whole event to be pretty overrated, personally. That could change with better scheduling like this, though!
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Could they be playing a third "non-conference" game, just for the event?
Brodziak Fan Club

Puckguy19 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:41 pm

Could they be playing a third "non-conference" game, just for the event?
Just clarifying: I think I know what you mean, but they are in separate conferences. Conference standings are pretty meaningless so it makes sense to delete a game when Edina plays Wayzata three times. I feel like it might get tricky at a section seeding meeting to ask the other coaches to only consider 24 of your 25 games when voting. Especially when Hill already has games with Two Rivers and South St. Paul, and White Bear plays East Ridge, Irondale etc. Who knows, though? I'm just an outsider observer :) . Also, for the record, Hill and White Bear generally only play each other once each regular season.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Thanks for setting me straight. 8)
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Where in WBL will they be playing next winter?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

bodyup88 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:57 pm Where in WBL will they be playing next winter?
It'll be at Polar Lakes Park in White Bear Township. I wasn't super familiar with this park, and had to look it up. It's not really very close the lake itself, and appears to be up around Tamarack Nature Center
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Ugh. We're involved in this non-sense again? Lex, please, send the JV. We don't need to risk our players' health on outdoor ice so close to the playoffs. (Any time after Nov. 20 is too close to the playoffs.)

This is hands down the most questionable thing I see in Lechner. I much prefer the (apparent) Curt Giles philosophy of "I'm not going to risk my players getting injured and possibly reducing our chances of playing in the one game that matters more than any: the one at the X on the evening of the second Saturday of March."

For South Saint Paul, or Mounds View, or Lourdes, playing in this game is the highlight of the season, with little to lose. Even WBL has a lot on the line, we'd all hate to see them lose a section final and a shot a a record 25th consecutive first round state tournament loss because their Big Man has a broken ankle.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 pm Ugh. We're involved in this non-sense again? Lex, please, send the JV. We don't need to risk our players' health on outdoor ice so close to the playoffs. (Any time after Nov. 20 is too close to the playoffs.)

This is hands down the most questionable thing I see in Lechner. I much prefer the (apparent) Curt Giles philosophy of "I'm not going to risk my players getting injured and possibly reducing our chances of playing in the one game that matters more than any: the one at the X on the evening of the second Saturday of March."

For South Saint Paul, or Mounds View, or Lourdes, playing in this game is the highlight of the season, with little to lose. Even WBL has a lot on the line, we'd all hate to see them lose a section final and a shot a a record 25th consecutive first round state tournament loss because their Big Man has a broken ankle.
I think if NHL teams can play outside, then your pampered PLEASE BAN ME pioneers can play outside.
Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 pm Ugh. We're involved in this non-sense again? Lex, please, send the JV. We don't need to risk our players' health on outdoor ice so close to the playoffs. (Any time after Nov. 20 is too close to the playoffs.)

How did that plan work out for the Pioneers this season? ;)
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Didn't seem to impede Prior Lake boys from getting to the semi-finals of the state tournament or the Andover girls from winning it.
Wow, what a take East Side -almost seems like a delayed April Fool's joke.
East Side Pioneer Guy

All right, all right! Cut me some slack, I can't holler at the kids to get off my lawn until it gets warmer.

Here's how it worked out for my Pioneers this winter: they lost fair and square with a healthy squad, no excuses.

Here's the deal with taking unnecessary risks: there are no guarantees. If I run a red light once and no one gets hurt, does than mean it was a good idea? Uh, not really.

As you move up the ladder from high school to college to the NHL, playing outdoors becomes progressively dumber. I know this position is not politically correct, but I'm not into nostalgia. Especially for players who rarely (if ever) learned to skate outside. It was kind of cute to do this when it began about 20 years ago, but it's become uninteresting.

Now I need to find my Bermuda shorts, dark sox and brown wingtips, those dang kids will be on my lawn any day now.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Delayedoffsides

Post by Delayedoffsides »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:57 pm All right, all right! Cut me some slack, I can't holler at the kids to get off my lawn until it gets warmer.

Here's how it worked out for my Pioneers this winter: they lost fair and square with a healthy squad, no excuses.

Here's the deal with taking unnecessary risks: there are no guarantees. If I run a red light once and no one gets hurt, does than mean it was a good idea? Uh, not really.

As you move up the ladder from high school to college to the NHL, playing outdoors becomes progressively dumber. I know this position is not politically correct, but I'm not into nostalgia. Especially for players who rarely (if ever) learned to skate outside. It was kind of cute to do this when it began about 20 years ago, but it's become uninteresting.

Now I need to find my Bermuda shorts, dark sox and brown wingtips, those dang kids will be on my lawn any day now.
Couldn’t agree more!! Spot on!
East Side Pioneer Guy

bodyup88 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:50 am Didn't seem to impede Prior Lake boys from getting to the semi-finals of the state tournament or the Andover girls from winning it.
Wow, what a take East Side -almost seems like a delayed April Fool's joke.
PL had a pretty soft path to the semis. While their section featured the most balanced final four, none of them were considered much of a threat to make it to the state final. Then, they got the best draw in the quarter finals. I said all season long Cre-tine was a paper tiger, and I was right. The Crimson showed us that neither PL nor CDH were anything to be feared.

Risking the health of Bump in an outdoor game not was foolish. No joke.
Hockey Is For Everyone
stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey »

BodyShots wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm You heard it here first.

WBL vs HM
Maht vs Herm

What's your source on this?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

stateofhawkey wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:31 pm
BodyShots wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 pm You heard it here first.

WBL vs HM
Maht vs Herm

What's your source on this?
It's not official - it's just dreaming from BodyShots. Check the White Bear Press.
stpaul

HDM 2023

Post by stpaul »

Matchup to be announced tomorrow night - July 14th - at WBL Marketfest.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

My sources look to be pretty reliable!
stateofhawkey

Post by stateofhawkey »

BodyShots wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:11 pm My sources look to be pretty reliable!
I was about to say BodyShots, you called it months ago. Nice work
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:01 pm
bodyup88 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:57 pm Where in WBL will they be playing next winter?
It'll be at Polar Lakes Park in White Bear Township. I wasn't super familiar with this park, and had to look it up. It's not really very close the lake itself, and appears to be up around Tamarack Nature Center
No idea why they picked this park. Downtown WBL businesses will be shutout from benefiting. it's located adjacent to 35E, off of a dead-end road with about 200 parking spots, and zero restaurants near by. This park only has softball/baseball fields and a few soccer field. No hockey rinks. IMO, WBL County Beach would be a better location (off of Hwy 96, east of 61). Put the rink on the lake, and let people enjoy downtown WBL (or at least be a heck of a lot closer). Stillwater had their day downtown in Lowell Park, on the river. The WBL location would be the equivalent to Stillwater having their day on a soccer field at their high school.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

Lace'emUp wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:22 am
No idea why they picked this park. Downtown WBL businesses will be shutout from benefiting. it's located adjacent to 35E, off of a dead-end road with about 200 parking spots, and zero restaurants near by. This park only has softball/baseball fields and a few soccer field. No hockey rinks. IMO, WBL County Beach would be a better location (off of Hwy 96, east of 61). Put the rink on the lake, and let people enjoy downtown WBL (or at least be a heck of a lot closer). Stillwater had their day downtown in Lowell Park, on the river. The WBL location would be the equivalent to Stillwater having their day on a soccer field at their high school.
Maybe they plan on getting by with a few food trucks here and there.... :lol:
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:39 pm

Maybe they plan on getting by with a few food trucks here and there.... :lol:
#-o
BP

Post by BP »

Would've been nice to be closer to DT - but I'm sure plenty of people will pre-game and post-game in DT WBL.