2022 - 23 Coaching Changes

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ryguyMN

Re: 2022 - 23 Coaching Changes

Post by ryguyMN »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:34 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:03 pm
gopherpuck516 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm Per YHH on Twitter - Mike Terwilliger will be announced this week as the new Head Coach at EP
I want to start by saying Class AA is not my best knowledge source but am I off by being underwhelmed by this hire at EP. Everywhere I read the comments are this is a slam dunk hire. Nothing against Mr. Terwilliger I know he is a big shot in MN Hockey and is just really good mentor and a great guy. However, can he coach? His results at Bloomington Jefferson were well underwhelming on the ice. I know he did an outstanding job creating a culture and trying to rebuild a dying traditional program who is far removed now from the 1990's dynasty it once was. Yet their best incoming player last year chose to play at Holy Angels instead of the Jags who ended up being an 8 Seed, while in a very tough 2AA, was a team on the ice seemed to get worse they went 13-11-2 in his first year 2019, 9-17-0 in 2020, 8-10 in 2021 and finally 10-16-0 this past year and they never won a playoff game.

I guess in a new era where big time programs are hiring former NHLer's and teams are firing HS Coaches for going just .500 and not making State I was little surprised by the EP hire but again the Eagles and Jags are in totally different spots and I think Mr. Terwilliger as a man is excellent and will do great things off the ice which is very important. However, his 4 years at Jefferson show his teams didn't do much on the ice and was surprised overall by the hire.

Just one idiots thoughts and I should probably just stick to Class A just some thoughts. SWC I think may have gotten the better hire getting Paul Ranheim the X and O's brain behind the EP Dynasty over the last few years. Again I am assuming I am missing something and am way off just thoughts from a Class A mind.
I too, am not enthusiastic about this hire. I know people in EP that are happy and I know people that were pulling for someone else (myself included). I totally respect getting a guy with some roots/history/ties to the area, but I also feel as if it was a good time to bring in a completely different style/staff. Again, am sure the "board" had a ton of say as to who got the gig next and there could be a ton of other reasons why he was the right choice but I guess we will just have to wait and see...
As an EP alum, I guess I would rather have seen Ranheim take over the program, but perhaps the powers at EP wanted a clean slate from whatever culture the previous coaching staff established. Terwilliger doesn't have much of a proven track record at Jefferson, but let's face it, it's not early 90s Jefferson talent he had to work with. I guess it's a wait and see approach.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Terwilliger is really, really, really liked in Eden Prairie all around. He taught in the district for years (and was beloved), ran a summer hockey program for local mites, coached at the youth level and JV, and served as a mentor to many. He won a state championship as a player in Edina and went on to play hockey in college out east. He also is just a great human being with incredible ethics and an amazing ability to connect with kids. It’s clear, with his hiring, that powers that be in EP wanted to break completely from the former coaching staff, which Ranheim was a big part of. There were issues with the former coach, which have been discussed on this board. His departure was not voluntary, to my understanding. Jefferson is a dead program. They even combined at the youth level this year with Kennedy and Richfield due to low numbers. Judging Terwilliger’s coaching ability by his record at Jefferson is short-sighted. Who would have done better? EP has some talent coming up from Bantams and returning to the high school team next year. We’ll see quickly what Terwilliger can do as a coach.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

SpreadOut! wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:44 pm Terwilliger is really, really, really liked in Eden Prairie all around. He taught in the district for years (and was beloved), ran a summer hockey program for local mites, coached at the youth level and JV, and served as a mentor to many. He won a state championship as a player in Edina and went on to play hockey in college out east. He also is just a great human being with incredible ethics and an amazing ability to connect with kids. It’s clear, with his hiring, that powers that be in EP wanted to break completely from the former coaching staff, which Ranheim was a big part of. There were issues with the former coach, which have been discussed on this board. His departure was not voluntary, to my understanding. Jefferson is a dead program. They even combined at the youth level this year with Kennedy and Richfield due to low numbers. Judging Terwilliger’s coaching ability by his record at Jefferson is short-sighted. Who would have done better? EP has some talent coming up from Bantams and returning to the high school team next year. We’ll see quickly what Terwilliger can do as a coach.
Thanks SpreadOut! Good perspective, was not trying to be short sighted by pointing out Jefferson time period. Was just stating the team on the ice went backwards in their performance on the ice and in his 4th year they seemed to be going backwards and were an 8 seed and never won a playoff game in those 4 years. Also in his 4 years the best kids were not staying they were leaving but that was problem before he got there. I know he is a good man and I am sure he will do wonderful things with kids off the ice all wonderful and great. Just pointing out I was underwhelmed overall but it seemed like many were thrilled so that is great and I knew he had connections to the EP community wish him luck!

Coach Smith love or hate him got kids to play for him and they usually stayed. From Leddy to Rau to Middelstadt top end kids stayed their senior year and seemed to love playing for him. To me whatever happened off the ice was very sad and I don't need to be getting into the he said she said gossip stuff.

Coaching in High School is a crap shoot and the "Wolves" are growing in strength. Heck even SpreadOut! was on here in January calling out the Maple Grove Coaching Staff and they ended up playing in one of the more entertaining State Title games in recent memory. High School coaching is a tough business and getting tougher by the year it seems.

Was not trying to attack Terwilliger like I said I know he is a great man and is big shot in MN Hockey and does a ton of great grassroots stuff which is awesome for the game in our State. I just was a little surprised given his less impressive resume behind the bench as a High School Coach.... But like you said who would have done better. Wish Mr. Terwilliger all the luck as expectations will be very high this coming winter.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Yep. Didn’t take what you said as an attack on Terwilliger—I have no skin in game—but just wanted to point out what I know about him and his history/popularity in EP and how this likely was deciding factor in him getting hired. Also, yes, I was tough on Bergy in Maple Grove earlier this year, no doubt, but I was also just pointing out what I knew from people close to that program. His team turned it around and probably should have won that championship game against Andover, so props to him. They were a super fun team to watch in the tourney, that’s for sure. MG will likely win it all at some point soon, probably a couple times, actually.
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

I'm sure he's a great guy and his ties to the community play a huge part in his hiring and could ultimately turn out to be a great decision... I personally was hoping for another candidate to get the job, but what do I know. I just know my kid in particular when asked without hesitation preferred another candidate, not anything negative against Coach Twig. Sure, he started Little Twigs (although Krmp has that now) and has done great in the community, but I guess my viewpoint is that I would've liked to see someone without such tight ties in the community come in to kind of break up things a bit--I feel there are too many that feel they are "in" just because of relationships here and there. But I get that parents have too much power playing the "well, then I may just take my kid elsewhere..." game, which 100% comes in to play in all these big schools nowadays...
The Next One

Post by The Next One »

Can add northern lakes to the list.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

The Next One wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:57 pm Can add northern lakes to the list.
WOW!! Although they did have some players leave the team mid-season this past winter....

Anyway, regardless the job being open presents a very nice Class A Opening. Team returns a good chunk of scoring and all their Main D and their Starting Goalie add in a group of A Bantams who took 2nd in State this past winter and this could be a very nice gig for a young and energetic coach.

Section 6A is very thin and add in the Lakes and summer life and this would appear to be another prime time opening in Class A Puck!
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

Hearing SLP BAA Head Coach Tyler Broderson is going to be the new SLP HS Head Coach
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

Hearing Orono's position will be announced tomorrow.

--Blessings
[-o<
BP

Post by BP »

Matt Elsen - new head at Bloom Jefferson.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

arcticpurple wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:44 pm Hearing Orono's position will be announced tomorrow.

--Blessings
[-o<
Sean Fish- Orono Girls HS Coach last few seasons takes over the boys.

Solid was a finalist for a few different big time boy jobs in the past never got the final hire. Went to the Girls side did a nice job taking the Girls Program to state. Should be a very good hire.

Orono brings back everyone next year and will be the a Top 10 Class A Team next winter.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

Well...that's not what I was praying for (and hearing on the Series of Tubes!) but thanks for the update. I'm sure it's a good hire and totally agree he's moving into a nice spot.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

In an interesting Twist Last year's two biggest Coaching Departures that made big headlines were Mike Randolph and Janne Kivihalme

The rumor is the Final 2 Candidate's for this year's biggest AA Opening at STA are the above two....

Personally I think Janne would be the better hire...

See how it shakes out
gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:37 am In an interesting Twist Last year's two biggest Coaching Departures that made big headlines were Mike Randolph and Janne Kivihalme

The rumor is the Final 2 Candidate's for this year's biggest AA Opening at STA are the above two....

Personally I think Janne would be the better hire...

See how it shakes out
Janne would be a great hire at STA. He’s a very good coach and presumably parents wouldn’t get upset about recruiting players from outside the STA boundary like they did at LS.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Meh,his teams underachievied every year. STA can do better. STA has screwed up this hire in the past…. My bet is they do so again.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 am Meh,his teams underachievied every year. STA can do better. STA has screwed up this hire in the past…. My bet is they do so again.
Please enlighten me how they have underachieved
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:05 am Meh,his teams underachievied every year. STA can do better. STA has screwed up this hire in the past…. My bet is they do so again.
It seems to me consistency is the avenue to success. Switching coaches every 3 years won't work for STA. Last guy must have really rubbed some people the wrong way.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

His own kid left.

STA seems to gravitate to Lakeville kids and coaches.

He underachieved at South given the talent. A one game elimination tournament often expounds on this but John Marshall, Jefferson, Kennedy, Burnsville, Apple Valley, and North all won. He didn’t, coming from a horrible section.

STA is grasping at straws. Eigner was gifted the job at North by Tim Poehling. He,wisely, left for greener pastures while the money was good. Janne has jumped ship, what, twice now? You have to wonder what the heck STA is thinking and in what direction they are moving.

Meh, grasping at straws won’t win the TRME let alone a state title.

Maybe STA breaks out with Janne but given their advantages over everyone in their conference and section…….those farm kids in Hastings and Rosemount will likely prevail.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

hearing Randolph got the STA job
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

bardown27 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:12 pm hearing Randolph got the STA job
Can't say this is much of a surprise.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

bardown27 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:12 pm hearing Randolph got the STA job
Now official ... Had a weird feeling when Eigner took him on as the "Associate" Head Coach last summer he was sealing his own fate and it turns out that is the case. Story from the Tribune below.

Longtime boys’ hockey coach Mike Randolph takes over St. Thomas Academy program
After a 32-year stay and two state championships at Duluth East, he is taking on a new challenge. “It’s humbling,” he said.

“Down there” is still how longtime Duluth East boys’ hockey head coach Mike Randolph refers to the Twin Cities. Even after one season as a St. Thomas Academy associate head coach.

His geographic perception undoubtedly will shift now that Randolph is the Cadets’ head coach. The Mendota Heights all-boys private school announced Randolph’s hiring on Tuesday.

“I don’t think I’ve been this excited in a long time,” said Randolph, who coached at Duluth East for 32 years before resigning in June 2021 amid an investigation. “My phone has been going nuts. It’s humbling.”

With 671 career victories, Randolph ranks third all-time. The two-time state championship coach (1995 and 1998) is already a member of the Minnesota State High School Coaches Association Hall of Fame.

“We are very excited to have Coach Randolph as our next head coach,” Reed Hornung, school activities and athletic director, said in a news release. “He will bring fantastic experience to our program. I look forward to working with him to build men of character both on and off the ice.”

Randolph replaced Trent Eigner, whose contract wasn’t renewed after three seasons and two Class 2A state tournament appearances.

Two duties top Randolph’s to-do list: hiring a staff of assistant coaches and setting up summer hockey practices.

“I really enjoyed being here last season,” Randolph said. “Ultimately, I wanted to move and coach down there. This program is a great fit, and that’s what makes it exciting.”
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

The Next One wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:57 pm Can add northern lakes to the list.
Anyone else hearing hearing former Blaine and Brainerd Head Coach Dave Aus name in the running for this job?
Getitright

Post by Getitright »

Is it just me or is there something slightly odd about a man approaching 70 years old relocating to coach high school hockey? I used to think he was all about the kids but this move makes me think otherwise?
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Getitright wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm Is it just me or is there something slightly odd about a man approaching 70 years old relocating to coach high school hockey? I used to think he was all about the kids but this move makes me think otherwise?
He was and is. Certain parents (and admin) at Duluth East made his position untenable. He has another opportunity to coach and deserves it.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Dog

Post by Dog »

Getitright wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm Is it just me or is there something slightly odd about a man approaching 70 years old relocating to coach high school hockey? I used to think he was all about the kids but this move makes me think otherwise?
I think you said the same last year.
Mike says he doesn't have other hobbies like other guys do and he won't hang it up to go fishing, golfing etc because his one hobby is hockey. You'll see him at squirt, peewee, bantam, other hockey games, because it's what he likes doing. So this is what he does. Why care? He's not your average 70ish year old either. He's fit like an in-shape 35 or 40 year old and he's sharper than most the same age. Does anyone think he wanted to "relocate"? A few brats got their way and pushed out a legend. Why is that his fault? He has earned the right to go out how and when he wants to if a program wants him and one does.

As far as the kids go, Mike is tough, there's no doubt. He taught many kids I know and he was a tough, strict teacher. But he was respected and very well liked by the vast majority of those kids. Being tough is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just different. Catering to certain few kids and certain few parents, sucking up to them and being their buddy has got us the messy part of hockey we're seeing now. Certain kids and parents checking and posting stats, moving associations or creating new ones when they can't find a "home" they like. Why reward people like that by kicking out a guy who's given us some of the best memories and games in section finals and the state tourney?

I don't understand your logic that because he was forced out by a few dolts that he should've just accepted that fate and quit doing what he loves to do. How does that service kids or teach them a life lesson? Would you say the same about Bruce Boudreau near the same age coaching his 4th team? If not, would it simply because it's the NHL, the money? To Mike, in many ways, HS hockey is his NHL, his Olympics, his college hockey. I think that's not a bad thing and HS hockey is a better world with him in it.

Just my opinion but if you ever get a chance, talk to him, he's a fascinating, funny and entertaining conversation. I'm sure his public image might not be that but he is and he's an asset to MN hockey.