2022 Section 4AA Playoffs

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HSPuckFan

2022 Section 4AA Playoffs

Post by HSPuckFan »

#1 Hill Murray
#2 Stillwater
#3 White Bear Lake
#4 Gentry
#5 Woodbury
#6 Tartan
#7 East Ridge
#8 Roseville
#9 Minnehaha
Go Zephyrs
East Side Pioneer Guy

Re: 2022 Section 4AA Playoffs

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Oh boy, we get a the first crack at eliminating Gentry. I like it.

Yeah, I'm throwing shade you, Woodbury.
Hockey Is For Everyone
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

I like that the semifinals are a doubleheader now instead or Tuesday & Wednesday
Go Zephyrs
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Here's my question, and I don't know the answer.

Which game is closer...

Woodbury vs Gentry or HM vs Gentry?
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:09 am Here's my question, and I don't know the answer.

Which game is closer...

Woodbury vs Gentry or HM vs Gentry?
Well, I'm 2 miles from Aldrich and 5 miles from TCO, so for me it's HM/Gentry. But your mileage may vary.

Thank you! thank you! I'll be here all week!
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

HSPuckFan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:08 am I like that the semifinals are a doubleheader now instead or Tuesday & Wednesday
I kind of like that as well. But I also pine for the days when Aldrich was insufficient for a single semifinal game, much less a double header.

Hill played single game semifinals at Aldrich in '81, '82, and '83. Those were hard sellouts well before the puck dropped, and the fire marshal either looked the other way or was asleep at the switch. People filled the stairs. And it was an incredible atmosphere. Teams played full out start to finish, everyone hanging on every play. After that, the semis moved to the Coliseum. But even there the split semis continued.

In that '83 semi, Stillwater gave us the best game we got on the road to the championship.
Hockey Is For Everyone
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:27 am
HSPuckFan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:08 am I like that the semifinals are a doubleheader now instead or Tuesday & Wednesday
I kind of like that as well. But I also pine for the days when Aldrich was insufficient for a single semifinal game, much less a double header.

Hill played single game semifinals at Aldrich in '81, '82, and '83. Those were hard sellouts well before the puck dropped, and the fire marshal either looked the other way or was asleep at the switch. People filled the stairs. And it was an incredible atmosphere. Teams played full out start to finish, everyone hanging on every play. After that, the semis moved to the Coliseum. But even there the split semis continued.

In that '83 semi, Stillwater gave us the best game we got on the road to the championship.
Thanks for sharing your memories.I always enjoy hearing stories like this.How do HM folks feel about the potential of 4AA semifinals and final moving to the new UST arena if it's built on the Ford plant site?
Go Zephyrs
East Side Pioneer Guy

HSPuckFan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:32 am

Thanks for sharing your memories.I always enjoy hearing stories like this.How do HM folks feel about the potential of 4AA semifinals and final moving to the new UST arena if it's built on the Ford plant site?
If it has more seating, I'm in favor of it. Provided that is, the site lines are as good as Aldrich. It better not be something as bad as TCO. We don't care where the game is played, we just want to be in the game.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

That would be fine with me. I miss the coliseum, only because there were so many memories there. Best playoff game I ever saw was Johnson vs HM in 1992. Aldrich is a great arena for most games, but it doesn't hold the fans for a section final. I remember having the fire marshall at a lot of the WBL v HM sections at the coliseum saying the kids couldn't sit on the stairs and all that. I have no idea what the proposed seating is for the new arena, but as long as its more than Aldrich, I'm all for it. Granted I live out of the state now and therefore will stream it anyway...
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:46 am

That would be fine with me. I miss the coliseum, only because there were so many memories there. Best playoff game I ever saw was Johnson vs HM in 1992. Aldrich is a great arena for most games, but it doesn't hold the fans for a section final. I remember having the fire marshall at a lot of the WBL v HM sections at the coliseum saying the kids couldn't sit on the stairs and all that. I have no idea what the proposed seating is for the new arena, but as long as its more than Aldrich, I'm all for it. Granted I live out of the state now and therefore will stream it anyway...
Oh man, that Johnson semi was phenomenal. I thought it would be a typical Johnson team, where they skate with Hill until Hill gets a couple goals, then they spend the rest of the night in the penalty box. And I think they did take a dumb penalty soon after getting down by a couple. But they roared back, and it was a pitched battle, rushes up and down the ice, one after another. It's just something, in games like that, where the place is packed, and when there is a goal, one side absolutely erupts while the other side is dead silent. I expected Hill to have the game in hand by the end of the 2nd, boy was I wrong.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:53 am
HSPuckFan wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:32 am Thanks for sharing your memories.I always enjoy hearing stories like this.How do HM folks feel about the potential of 4AA semifinals and final moving to the new UST arena if it's built on the Ford plant site?

Oh man, that Johnson semi was phenomenal. I thought it would be a typical Johnson team, where they skate with Hill until Hill gets a couple goals, then they spend the rest of the night in the penalty box. And I think they did take a dumb penalty soon after getting down by a couple. But they roared back, and it was a pitched battle, rushes up and down the ice, one after another. It's just something, in games like that, where the place is packed, and when there is a goal, one side absolutely erupts while the other side is dead silent. I expected Hill to have the game in hand by the end of the 2nd, boy was I wrong.
I got there late and had to stand the entire game in one of those alcoves they had near the bottom. I've never seen more 2 on 1's and breakaways in one game ever. Both teams, super offense, no defense, ton of penalties. And Chad Brennan, who had lost a contact in the 3rd period and his mother gave him hers, scores the game winner in 2 OTs. I actually have the game on dvd. Can't remember who, but someone from the board about 10 years ago gave me a copy...
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:59 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:53 am

I got there late and had to stand the entire game in one of those alcoves they had near the bottom. I've never seen more 2 on 1's and breakaways in one game ever. Both teams, super offense, no defense, ton of penalties. And Chad Brennan, who had lost a contact in the 3rd period and his mother gave him hers, scores the game winner in 2 OTs. I actually have the game on dvd. Can't remember who, but someone from the board about 10 years ago gave me a copy...
It's hard to find the words to describe the atmosphere in there that night. But we've all felt it.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

The 1999 Section Final against Roseville was a close second. An amazing game against a really good Roseville team that was on the upswing. Game went down to the final minute with a missed breakaway turning into a game winning goal the other way. So many memories from the coliseum.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:38 pm The 1999 Section Final against Roseville was a close second. An amazing game against a really good Roseville team that was on the upswing. Game went down to the final minute with a missed breakaway turning into a game winning goal the other way. So many memories from the coliseum.
I could keep track of the first 25 or so section finals. After that, a few of them I've lost track of. Like that one. I just have no recollection of it.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I would support moving the 4AA semifinal and final games to a new arena if/when University of St. Thomas gets around to building one. As ESPG mentioned, it would need to be an arena with a larger seating capacity than Aldrich currently has - which I think is likely, if even just a few hundred more. UST plays in the CCHA, and here is a breakdown of current arena capacities (rounded a bit) for those teams. I would suspect they would want an arena with a seating capacity around the same as those schools.

Aldrich - 3,200
Northern Mich - 3,800
Mich Tech - 4,200
Lake Superior St - 4,000
Ferris St - 2,500
Bowling Green - 5,000
Bemidji St - 4,700
Minn St - 5,280

I don't see a new ice arena for UST being built and finished in the next 3-4 years. Maybe 5-6 years from now?
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
East Side Pioneer Guy

Who is the wealthy alum hockey enthusiast who can pony up enough for a new building?

I have a hard time seeing a seating capacity of 4K. Try to look ahead 20 years, when UST may be highly competitive in the CCHA as well as being a credible threat to NCHC teams. What might those crowds be like for big games? Maybe a thousand students would attend. If they play No Dak, they may sell out. On the other hand, you don't build your church for Easter Sunday.

I just don't see UST vs. Mankato or Bemidji selling anything close to 5,000 tickets.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:25 pm Who is the wealthy alum hockey enthusiast who can pony up enough for a new building?

I have a hard time seeing a seating capacity of 4K. Try to look ahead 20 years, when UST may be highly competitive in the CCHA as well as being a credible threat to NCHC teams. What might those crowds be like for big games? Maybe a thousand students would attend. If they play No Dak, they may sell out. On the other hand, you don't build your church for Easter Sunday.

I just don't see UST vs. Mankato or Bemidji selling anything close to 5,000 tickets.
I'm thinking a new UST arena would be in that 3,500 - 3,800 range in all likelihood. I don't know that it makes sense to build an entirely new arena, also likely purchasing the land, if you're only going to seat 2,500 in it. Most games won't be sold out, but I doubt many (if any) of the CCHA teams are regularly selling out their arenas
East Side Pioneer Guy

What will be the ticketing procedure for the semifinal and the final? I'd rather wait in line early for a hard ticket than go through some internet deal where 1,000 people are trying to buy the minute they go on sale.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Can someone remind me, when do the playoffs start? :lol:

Just killing time waiting for some juicy 4AA games...
BlueLineSpecial

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:04 am Can someone remind me, when do the playoffs start? :lol:

Did you miss the juicy Roseville v Minnehaha play-in game then?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:38 am
Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:04 am Can someone remind me, when do the playoffs start? :lol:

Can't say I'm missing it, Bob.

I'm excited to see Gentry next week.
BlueLineSpecial

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:42 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:38 am

Can't say I'm missing it, Bob.

I'm excited to see Gentry next week.
:lol:

I'm curious to see how Gentry does against Woodbury tomorrow. I expect Gentry wins, and may win handily, but it's playoff time in the big boy section now, and it could end up as a close game.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

It will be an interesting game. I expect Gentry to win, but a one or two goal affair would not surprise me at all. Which I suppose is what the 4-5 game is supposed to be.
BlueLineSpecial

I do wonder if there will be an upset coming out the Gentry, WBL, & Stillwater games. Gentry is a relative unknown, and both WB & SW have been known to drop a game they aren't expected to. I don't necessarily see if happening, but it wouldn't surprise me either.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:40 pm I do wonder if there will be an upset coming out the Gentry, WBL, & Stillwater games. Gentry is a relative unknown, and both WB & SW have been known to drop a game they aren't expected to. I don't necessarily see if happening, but it wouldn't surprise me either.
In 2012, the #2 Ranked bears Lost to Johnson, in 2017 the number 3 ranked bears lost to tartan. Sager has a history of not being able to motivate his players against lesser talented teams in the playoffs. Many of the games that he has won, we’re closer than they should’ve been. I also would not be surprised to see an upset.