Lee Smith to retire…

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

headsupsticksdown

Lee Smith to retire…

Post by headsupsticksdown »

All over Twitter. Lee Smith to retire at seasons end.

Been a long run. Who’s up next?
Sparlimb

Re: Lee Smith to retire…

Post by Sparlimb »

He's had a hell of a career. Happy for him to go out on his own terms.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

33 years teaching & 29 years coaching. Long time & a great run. Congratulations, Coach Smith!
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

It’s never a given to go out on your own terms, especially in a high-profile program like EP. No matter what kind of regular season they had, his teams always seemed to be a threat in the playoffs. Probably the best example was his talented but youthful 2018-19 team that had a middling regular season and proceeded to make it all the way to the state title game where they absolutely had Edina on the ropes.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

there was an 8” snowstorm that night if i remember right

crazy getting in and out of DT St. paul
Brodziak Fan Club

WestMetro wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 pm there was an 8” snowstorm that night if i remember right

Yes there was! West 7th was closed off for a St. Patrick's day block party. I exited the game to hordes of folks dressed in green, drinking and dancing. In my elation I imagined it was a party for the Hornets. Pretty cool scene.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:37 pm
WestMetro wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 pm there was an 8” snowstorm that night if i remember right

Yes there was! West 7th was closed off for a St. Patrick's day block party. I exited the game to hordes of folks dressed in green, drinking and dancing. In my elation I imagined it was a party for the Hornets. Pretty cool scene.
Huh? St Paddy's Day was celebrated a week early that year?
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

It's always good to see someone go out on their own terms, especially when they are at the top of their field. Some people are just too into it, and they hang on too long, and their legacy gets tarnished. I have always admired Steve Martin for doing this. (Listen up you whipper snappers - heh heh.) In the late 70's/early 80's Martin was the king of stand up comedy, selling out arenas across the country. Then he walked away from it all; not wanting to hang on until he was working in front of half full arenas. Of course, he didn't have to deal with the parents of 15 players who weren't getting enough playing time and another 12 players he cut entirely.

One good thing about this is that it gives someone younger a chance to run an elite program. (Looking at you Mike Grant.)
Hockey Is For Everyone
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:05 am It's always good to see someone go out on their own terms, especially when they are at the top of their field. Some people are just too into it, and they hang on too long, and their legacy gets tarnished. I have always admired Steve Martin for doing this. (Listen up you whipper snappers - heh heh.) In the late 70's/early 80's Martin was the king of stand up comedy, selling out arenas across the country. Then he walked away from it all; not wanting to hang on until he was working in front of half full arenas. Of course, he didn't have to deal with the parents of 15 players who weren't getting enough playing time and another 12 players he cut entirely.

One good thing about this is that it gives someone younger a chance to run an elite program. (Looking at you Mike Grant.)
Who said he was going out on his own terms…?
East Side Pioneer Guy

bardown27 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:35 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:05 am It's always good to see someone go out on their own terms, especially when they are at the top of their field. Some people are just too into it, and they hang on too long, and their legacy gets tarnished. I have always admired Steve Martin for doing this. (Listen up you whipper snappers - heh heh.) In the late 70's/early 80's Martin was the king of stand up comedy, selling out arenas across the country. Then he walked away from it all; not wanting to hang on until he was working in front of half full arenas. Of course, he didn't have to deal with the parents of 15 players who weren't getting enough playing time and another 12 players he cut entirely.

What? Another test I didn't study for? Man, it's like I'll relive high school the rest of my life.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Brodziak Fan Club

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:53 am

Don't think it was an official St. Paddy's Day event, but more of a collaborative/promotional thing between some of the bars and restaurants in the area.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:10 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:53 am

Don't think it was an official St. Paddy's Day event, but more of a collaborative/promotional thing between some of the bars and restaurants in the area.
Hey, anything to pay the bills and keep the lights on. And if we can do it by letting all those Scandinavians think they're as good as we Irish are for one or two days a years, why not?
Hockey Is For Everyone
headsupsticksdown

bardown27 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:35 am

Any insight to back up this statement? What EP has done this season has been nothing shy of a miracle as they sit atop of their conference yet again and could very well squeeze into the tourney. There's a lot of buzz around as to who's up next, but NOBODY saw this coming.
Brodziak Fan Club

Any insight to back up this statement? What EP has done this season has been nothing shy of a miracle as they sit atop of their conference yet again and could very well squeeze into the tourney. There's a lot of buzz around as to who's up next, but NOBODY saw this coming.
The YHH pod that dropped today sheds light on the situation.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:21 pm All over Twitter. Lee Smith to retire at seasons end.

Been a long run. Who’s up next?
Say it ain't so Joe! The master recruiter is moving on eh?!
headsupsticksdown

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:23 pm
What a disaster of a situation after 29 years. Dunno what happened to justify those suspensions, but sounds like more of the same over and over again. What I also thought was interesting after that podcast was the mention of Chan and Tony refusing to get into it... :|
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:52 pm
What a disaster of a situation after 29 years. Dunno what happened to justify those suspensions, but sounds like more of the same over and over again. What I also thought was interesting after that podcast was the mention of Chan and Tony refusing to get into it... :|
No implications of Chan in any of this...there's some backstory on Lee there, but really not relevant to the present situation. Would've been a weird rabbit hole to go down and we cut it off to stay on track, not because there are any juicy details hiding there.
headsupsticksdown

karl(east) wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:40 pm

No implications of Chan in any of this...there's some backstory on Lee there, but really not relevant to the present situation. Would've been a weird rabbit hole to go down and we cut it off to stay on track, not because there are any juicy details hiding there.
Thanks for clarifying, Karl! Thought it was a bit strange...
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Lots of complexities to this story . More to be told ?
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

What happened was pretty reprehensible and if the podcast knew the whole story, the crocodile tears would seem misplaced IMO. I get that people overlook others being terrible humans if they're winning games but accountability and karma will come knocking eventually.
headsupsticksdown

thefatcat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:12 pm

What happened was pretty reprehensible and if the podcast knew the whole story, the crocodile tears would seem misplaced IMO. I get that people overlook others being terrible humans if they're winning games but accountability and karma will come knocking eventually.

Sounds like the Proctor football situation all over again (just guessing)….
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:02 pm
thefatcat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:12 pm

Sounds like the Proctor football situation all over again (just guessing)….
No, not as bad as the Proctor situation but bad nonetheless. The school admin and coach should be happy the offended party is really invested in the program and won't take legal action.

Apparently we need to give kids a refresher course on appropriate use of smart phones before each school year and sports season.
headsupsticksdown

OK, so who’s in line and who’s it gonna be at EP?