Single A top 20 pre -weekend 1-28-22

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Single A top 20 pre -weekend 1-28-22

Post by elliott70 »

1 Hermantown - no one else

2 Warroad - if anyone its them
3 Mahtomedi - next closest

anyone's guess hereafter
4 Delano - been there can be again
5 Rock Ridge - they are the team this morning
6 Denfeld - turn back the clock and try it again
7 Cambridge - another upstart - see if it can keep going
8 Providence - quiet positive
9 Little Falls - seem great (at times)
10 Detroit Lakes - the Lakers are lurking
11 Alexandria - one or two things to figure out then they can be at the top of the rest
12 East Grand Forks - if they could get 51 minutes from Panzer
13 Minneapolis - again one line is not enough
14 Fergus Falls - another troller coaster team
15 Thief River Falls - great coaching can do wonders
16 Breck - a big win gets rewarded
17 Chisago - fill in the blank
18 Northfield - fill int eh blank
19 Simley - ditto
20 - St Cloud Cathedral - why not?
ClassAGuy

Re: Single A top 20 pre -weekend 1-28-22

Post by ClassAGuy »

Great Topic Elloitt-

As I sit and look at my Class A Rankings before todays games things are well not easy to read

Class A Rankings heading into Saturday (1/29/22)
1- Hermantown- Best team in the State regardless of Class
2- Warroad- Showed they can hang with the Hawks
3- Mahtomedi- Play a AA Schedule and have the goalie with State Championship experience.

After that ....
4- Minneapolis- Best Resume still even after that Black eye loss to Breck but still own wins over Providence, Delano, Orono, SWC in 2A still the favorite for the #1 seed. Also beat Alexandria in 6A and Mankato East of 3A both are the #1 seed in those Sections currently. Best Resume has to stay at 4 for now.

Then... (Lots of options)
5- Detroit Lakes- I don't love this but they winning games. However, they are (3-4-0) in the 7 games outside of the 10 games vs the weak Mid State conference and the bottom of 8A. Best resume wins are a split with Fergus and a tight 1 goal win over TRF. They do play Alex and LF near the end of the year but they should have an outstanding record.

6- Delano- Not in love with this but they do own wins over TRF, EGF, SCC, Rosemount.. Still lost the head to heads vs Minneapolis and Orono destined for the 3 seed in 2A. Going with track record here.

7- Alexandria- Their play this week was alarming as they didnt show up vs Willmar and dug a huge hole and then let lowly Sauk Rapids hang around. They do own wins over Fergus & EGF ... Thats really all they have yikes but I am betting they beat LF the second time at home and the also have Denfeld this week to improve their stock.

8- Fergus Falls- They did soundly beat Little Falls and they split with DL. However, got embarrassed by Warroad and beat up by Alexandria the first time. Will need to beat Alex the 2nd time around to move up an further.

9- Cambridge- The win at Little Falls puts them above the Flyers both in Section 5A and in this poll.

10- Little Falls- Have only 2 losses but they are to the two teams ahead of them Fergus and Cambridge. Will need to Sweep Alex which I dont think is likely otherwise this is their new home in the poll.

11- Providence Academy- DONT love this like Detroit Lakes play a very soft schedule. Best wins are Holy Family and ... Sartell? nice record but very weak SOS.

12- East Grand Forks- The opposite of Providence Academy as they play an very tough SOS but terrible record however, wins over DL,TRF, SCC show they are a top 15 team for sure.

13- Orono- .500 team with losses to Hermantown, Monticello, Minneapolis, Mahtomedi and Little Falls. However do own wins over Delano & SCC and play tough SOS.

14- Northfield- Tough team to read they are (9-0-1) in a average Big 9 Conference but (1-4-0) outside of it best wins Mankato East & TRF.

15- Duluth Denfeld- No high quality big wins. At 13-7-0 its been a disappointment and the 6-2 loss at home vs Rock Ridge this week shows they are fading.

16- Mankato East- Another Southern team that is tough to read they dont own any great wins but no terrible lossed Century being their worst loss.

17- Chisago Lakes- Nice record but no great wins. Lost to Cambridge and the Princeton loss was alarming. Play TRF next week will help get a read on them.

18- St Cloud Cathedral- 9 losses but they are to Hermantown, Warroad, Little Falls, Alexandria, Delano, EGF, Orono etc. They do own a win over TRF and they have won all the games they are suppose to hard to team to read but good SOS.

19- Thief River Falls- Like Cathedral 9 losses by to Warroad, EGF, DL, Delano, Northfield, etc. Lost the head to head to SCC to stay at 19.

20- Simley- Senior heavy group that is (9-1-0) vs Section 4A and (3-5-1) vs everyone else. Good enough for 20

There is where I am at today...
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:37 am Great Topic Elloitt-

As I sit and look at my Class A Rankings before todays games things are well not easy to read

Hermantown loses at home 6-3 to Maple Grove. Hawks outshot them 46-28. Time to recruit a better goalie. :oops:
headsupsticksdown

Post by headsupsticksdown »

rainier2 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:09 pm

Hermantown loses at home 6-3 to Maple Grove. Hawks outshot them 46-28. Time to recruit a better goalie. :oops:
Was Callaway in net? Blame it on East/DAHA not developing him right.. 😬

This could be good for the Hawks. Bring them back down from the clouds a bit. Get back to the grind just in time for another run to state. They’ll outshoot CEC 100-3 next game I bet.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

headsupsticksdown wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:27 pm

This could be good for the Hawks. Bring them back down from the clouds a bit. Get back to the grind just in time for another run to state. They’ll outshoot CEC 100-3 next game I bet.
:D Good point.

Very true, this may spur the Hawks on to finally achieving Class A glory this year.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

rainier2 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:29 pm

Very true, this may spur the Hawks on to finally achieving Class A glory this year.
Did not see the MG result coming …:

Will Hermantown come through this year they have been the Class A best for the last 4 years and not come through when it counts. Will Coach Andrews win his first title this year I think yes… but again it’s crazy to watch them play once they get to St. Paul …
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:33 pm

Will Hermantown come through this year they have been the Class A best for the last 4 years and not come through when it counts. Will Coach Andrews win his first title this year I think yes… but again it’s crazy to watch them play once they get to St. Paul …
Agreed. It will be interesting to see how long the Hawk faithful will stick by Andrews if he doesn't get it done soon. All that social media fawning will be for naught if he doesn't get a bantam group that two years in a row was ranked #2 in AA to the promised land.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

rainier2 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:42 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:33 pm

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how long the Hawk faithful will stick by Andrews if he doesn't get it done soon. All that social media fawning will be for naught if he doesn't get a bantam group that two years in a row was ranked #2 in AA to the promised land.
Agreed on that if he can’t win with this group you gotta think the faithful start getting restless
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Not sure losing to Maple Grove should set off alarm bells for H-Town. Maple Grove Bantam AA has played in four consecutive state title games (winning two of them) and year state tourney was cancelled due to COVID they were ranked #1 and favorite to win it. Maple Grove has underperformed this year, until this weekend. They arguably are the most talented team in the state and are absolutely deadly when on their game. No team other than Warroad has any chance of touching H-Town in Class A.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

SpreadOut! wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:45 pm Not sure losing to Maple Grove should set off alarm bells for H-Town. Maple Grove Bantam AA has played in four consecutive state title games (winning two of them) and year state tourney was cancelled due to COVID they were ranked #1 and favorite to win it. Maple Grove has underperformed this year, until this weekend. They arguably are the most talented team in the state and are absolutely deadly when on their game. No team other than Warroad has any chance of touching H-Town in Class A.
Yes I agree