Teams Making a Jump to Relevance

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

MrBoDangles

Re: Teams Making a Jump to Relevance

Post by MrBoDangles »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:41 pm Can we also discuss teams making a jump from relevance?
The former North Branch program

North Branch had over 100 mites around 2008 in the height of the economic downturn. Huge numbers for a program with no rink of their own and $40 for first year mites of any age was the key. A few(?) years later the cost jumped to 6+ times that amount and new player numbers dropped to next to nothing. All focus and money went to a new rink drive and $40 hockey for first year mites wasn’t feasible..... I’ll never understand how the youth leader didn’t understand he was killing the program.

That large group of mites chiseled down to a group that could compete with the best of the AA programs out there... and that was after losing quite a few talented kids because of political decision making.

State tournament to not enough kids for a team in only 2 years. Disgraceful!

RIP
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

St. Paul Johnson didn’t have the numbers to have a JV team this year.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

SEC Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:15 pm St. Paul Johnson didn’t have the numbers to have a JV team this year.
SO SAD... I always have loved the Govies and Moose at the helm trying to keep that thing going... I have heard some bad rumors that in two years they wont have a program... Hoping that is not true.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:15 pm St. Paul Johnson didn’t have the numbers to have a JV team this year.
SO SAD... I always have loved the Govies and Moose at the helm trying to keep that thing going... I have heard some bad rumors that in two years they wont have a program... Hoping that is not true.
Why are their home games at Phalen Arena and not at Aldrich? Aldrich is still a St. Paul public arena and not a shrine to Hill Murray.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

SEC Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:29 pm
Why are their home games at Phalen Arena and not at Aldrich? Aldrich is still a St. Paul public arena and not a shrine to Hill Murray.
Johnson asked for Ramsey County to make upgrades to Phalen-Gustafson Arena, on the JHS campus. I was among many who thought this was a great idea. This may have been about 15 years ago. Johnson had no longer needed the capacity of Aldrich. I went to a few games there at that time, and it was a pretty rockin' atmosphere.

Every public school that once made Aldrich home abandoned it, every one. None of them were shown the door. North, Tartan, Stillwater, White Bear, and Johnson all left. Ramsey County Parks entered into an agreement with HM whereby Hill financed some improvements, including locker room upgrades.

I seriously doubt that if Aldrich were not home to Hill's boys and girls programs it would even be open today. And if that were the case, where would you go for the Section 4AA and 5AA finals? Everybody whines about Hill having the advantage of home ice during section play, but they are keeping the building open. At least one other Ramsey County Arena no longer has an ice sheet.
Hockey Is For Everyone
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:29 pm

Johnson asked for Ramsey County to make upgrades to Phalen-Gustafson Arena, on the JHS campus. I was among many who thought this was a great idea. This may have been about 15 years ago. Johnson had no longer needed the capacity of Aldrich. I went to a few games there at that time, and it was a pretty rockin' atmosphere.

Every public school that once made Aldrich home abandoned it, every one. None of them were shown the door. North, Tartan, Stillwater, White Bear, and Johnson all left. Ramsey County Parks entered into an agreement with HM whereby Hill financed some improvements, including locker room upgrades.

I seriously doubt that if Aldrich were not home to Hill's boys and girls programs it would even be open today. And if that were the case, where would you go for the Section 4AA and 5AA finals? Everybody whines about Hill having the advantage of home ice during section play, but they are keeping the building open. At least one other Ramsey County Arena no longer has an ice sheet.
No home ice advantages.

4AA could be at Tria, Super Rink #5, or Fogerty.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:47 pm Johnson asked for Ramsey County to make upgrades to Phalen-Gustafson Arena, on the JHS campus. I was among many who thought this was a great idea. This may have been about 15 years ago. Johnson had no longer needed the capacity of Aldrich. I went to a few games there at that time, and it was a pretty rockin' atmosphere.

Good history recap. Thanks!
Be kind. Rewind.
East Side Pioneer Guy

jg2112 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:28 pm
SEC Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:29 pm Why are their home games at Phalen Arena and not at Aldrich? Aldrich is still a St. Paul public arena and not a shrine to Hill Murray.

No home ice advantages.

What are the seating capacities of those venues?

OK, I just found the Tria seating. A paltry 1,200. Not even worthy of suggestion.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

SEC Scotty wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:29 pm Why are their home games at Phalen Arena and not at Aldrich? Aldrich is still a St. Paul public arena and not a shrine to Hill Murray.

No home ice advantages.

A long time ago, when I was young. Okay a very long time ago, they used to have the section finals at the Met Center. 4AA (which was section 3 at the time) moved to the coliseum when that arena was demolished. The could move 4AA and a couple other finals (section 3AA) and maybe a few A sections. But I doubt the X wants to give up another day of revenue to high school sports.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:47 am

No home ice advantages.

OK, I just found the Tria seating. A paltry 1,200. Not even worthy of suggestion.
Then send them over to Mariucci or Ridder. Heck, treat them like 7AA on the girls side (northern teams might end up at Fogerty) and send them to St. Cloud. Just get them out of Aldrich and get rid of any advantages.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I'll correct East Side guy the same way I would correct a Packers fan.

I don't hate the team I hate their fans.

:mrgreen:
East Side Pioneer Guy

[/quote]

A long time ago, when I was young. Okay a very long time ago, they used to have the section finals at the Met Center. 4AA (which was section 3 at the time) moved to the coliseum when that arena was demolished. The could move 4AA and a couple other finals (section 3AA) and maybe a few A sections. But I doubt the X wants to give up another day of revenue to high school sports.
[/quote]

Oh man, I must be older than dirt. I remember when the Region 3 final was played at the Saint Paul Auditorium, before it's ice making equipment met it's demise, after which the Section 3 final was played at the Met Center. The first year the final was played at it traditional time, on Saturday evening, in a single game session. After that, it was played as the 2nf half of a twin bill, with Section 1 being the undercard.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:50 am I'll correct East Side guy the same way I would correct a Packers fan.

Whatever blows your skirt up. Either one motivates the players.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

jg2112 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:41 am

No home ice advantages.

Then send them over to Mariucci or Ridder. Heck, treat them like 7AA on the girls side (northern teams might end up at Fogerty) and send them to St. Cloud. Just get them out of Aldrich and get rid of any advantages.
Is the U even willing to rent more dates for high school hockey? I don't think they're willing to allow any games earlier on Saturday, what with the possibility of 6 overtimes impinging on an evening Gopher game.

And as far as the Xcel, I doubt your going to get them to move the state wrestling tournament for one day.

In any case, if the 4AA coaches and tournament manager wanted a different venue, they find one.

Maybe just drop the puck and play the game?
Hockey Is For Everyone
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:50 am I'll correct East Side guy the same way I would correct a Packers fan.

It's all in good fun - nothing serious.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:23 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:13 pm

It's all in good fun - nothing serious.
Exactly!
Hockey Is For Everyone
BP

Post by BP »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:19 pm

Is the U even willing to rent more dates for high school hockey? I don't think they're willing to allow any games earlier on Saturday, what with the possibility of 6 overtimes impinging on an evening Gopher game.

And as far as the Xcel, I doubt your going to get them to move the state wrestling tournament for one day.

In any case, if the 4AA coaches and tournament manager wanted a different venue, they find one.

The major issue at the U of M (Ridder and Mariucci) is the cost that they charge for the even one single game for Section Hockey. Plus, they take all the concession money. To break even - you have have to have a large amount of fans attend each game - like 3/4 of the place (Mariucci). That's why you see 2AA and 6AA only play the finals there AND why 3AA plays at Braemar (why they left Ridder after playing there for a year or two). 2500 fans at Ridder - they lose a bunch of money. And that's why you see Section girls games at Ridder - which is sad seeing it was built for women's/girl's hockey. Hope that helps a bit
BP

Post by BP »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:19 pm

The major issue at the U of M (Ridder and Mariucci) is the cost that they charge for the even one single game for Section Hockey. Plus, they take all the concession money. To break even - you have have to have a large amount of fans attend each game - like 3/4 of the place (Mariucci). That's why you see 2AA and 6AA only play the finals there AND why 3AA plays at Braemar (why they left Ridder after playing there for a year or two). 2500 fans at Ridder - they lose a bunch of money. And that's why you see Section girls games at Ridder - which is sad seeing it was built for women's/girl's hockey. Hope that helps a bit
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Thanks. Braemar is a PERFECT venue for that 3AA game.
Be kind. Rewind.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Some interesting thoughts to add:

Sartell - Will they become more relevant now that they are in AA or will they decline. There seems to be excitement in the growing program there, and an additional rink. We shall see.

Out of relevance:

SCC - Is this just a short time of irrelevance? Or do we already see signs of a resurgence?

Agree with Northern Lakes. It seems they still have some good kids in the youth program. We will see if there is staying power there.

River Lakes - This program has struggled to get to prominence. They've had some decent teams in the recent past, but never good enough to win the section. There are some great athletes in this area of the state west of St. Cloud. If a bunch decided to play hockey, this program could be solid.

Rock Ridge???
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Mite-dad wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:55 pm Some interesting thoughts to add:

Sartell - Will they become more relevant now that they are in AA or will they decline. There seems to be excitement in the growing program there, and an additional rink. We shall see.

Out of relevance:

SCC - Is this just a short time of irrelevance? Or do we already see signs of a resurgence?

Agree with Northern Lakes. It seems they still have some good kids in the youth program. We will see if there is staying power there.

River Lakes - This program has struggled to get to prominence. They've had some decent teams in the recent past, but never good enough to win the section. There are some great athletes in this area of the state west of St. Cloud. If a bunch decided to play hockey, this program could be solid.

Rock Ridge???
Interesting thoughts on Class A and 1 AA Program

Sartell- Growing community full of young families their enrollment has skyrocketed in the last 10 years and are now AA. I didn't realize they had 2 sheets of ice but a great sign and growing youth numbers. In 8AA they should be able to make gains as the section is not crazy deep. However, even in the Class A era teams never seemed to reach their potential come playoff time. I am not sure they have ever made a Section Final. However, as STMA showed you don't have to be a traditional program to make a splash and get to the X. Will be interesting to watch their program over the next few years.

SCC- Appears to be clawing back after a very uncharacteristic down year last season. They have played some top 10 Class A Ranked teams very tough so far this year. Also, their leading scorer is a freshman and their lineup on hockeyhub is full of sophomores. The most important being their sophomore goaltender who has a .913 SV% pretty impressive for young man making his debut against the likes of Warroad. I would guess we will see SCC back at the X soon.

Northern Lakes- I think is here to stay as a solid Class A team. They draw from a very affluent area of young families and they have been keeping their kids in house more of late. They have a nice squad coming back this year and anytime you make state its big however the Covid year was not great as so many young kids didnt get a chance to head to st paul and dream of playing there someday.

River Lakes- I thought the move to Class A would be the shot in the arm this program was looking for. They did make some headway winning playoff games in the past few years but they seem to not have the numbers again. As Mite Dad said man they draw from Albany, Rocori, New London-Spicer, Paynesville area. Anyone who has seen those programs on the Gridiron knows they have athletes who are big and fast always thought what could they be on skates... Imagine Eric Decker playing hockey!!

Rock Ridge- Too early to tell... I think they will develop into a very solid Class A club. However, with Hermantown in the Section it makes it hard to grow your program when it's so easy for families to just opt to move to the Hawks and get a trip to state. Again, curious to se how this current squad develops and what this program looks like in 5 years.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:54 pm
Interesting thoughts on Class A and 1 AA Program

Sartell- Growing community full of young families their enrollment has skyrocketed in the last 10 years and are now AA. I didn't realize they had 2 sheets of ice but a great sign and growing youth numbers. In 8AA they should be able to make gains as the section is not crazy deep. However, even in the Class A era teams never seemed to reach their potential come playoff time. I am not sure they have ever made a Section Final. However, as STMA showed you don't have to be a traditional program to make a splash and get to the X. Will be interesting to watch their program over the next few years.

SCC- Appears to be clawing back after a very uncharacteristic down year last season. They have played some top 10 Class A Ranked teams very tough so far this year. Also, their leading scorer is a freshman and their lineup on hockeyhub is full of sophomores. The most important being their sophomore goaltender who has a .913 SV% pretty impressive for young man making his debut against the likes of Warroad. I would guess we will see SCC back at the X soon.

Northern Lakes- I think is here to stay as a solid Class A team. They draw from a very affluent area of young families and they have been keeping their kids in house more of late. They have a nice squad coming back this year and anytime you make state its big however the Covid year was not great as so many young kids didnt get a chance to head to st paul and dream of playing there someday.

River Lakes- I thought the move to Class A would be the shot in the arm this program was looking for. They did make some headway winning playoff games in the past few years but they seem to not have the numbers again. As Mite Dad said man they draw from Albany, Rocori, New London-Spicer, Paynesville area. Anyone who has seen those programs on the Gridiron knows they have athletes who are big and fast always thought what could they be on skates... Imagine Eric Decker playing hockey!!

Rock Ridge- Too early to tell... I think they will develop into a very solid Class A club. However, with Hermantown in the Section it makes it hard to grow your program when it's so easy for families to just opt to move to the Hawks and get a trip to state. Again, curious to se how this current squad develops and what this program looks like in 5 years.
Sartell made the 6A final only once, in 2010

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
LSQRANK

Post by LSQRANK »

Went to watch the Highland Park vs Roseville Boys HS game last night. I was expecting RV to just crush HPK since in past years RV has actually given CDH a tough time in some conference games. RV has definitely taken a nosedive from their talent level in previous years. They did beat HPK 6-0 but the game was a grind and HPK did have some good scoring chances. RV's best player #22 senior defensemen probably would not make either of CDH or STA varsity squad. Wondering how Edina's Jr Gold A team would stack up against Roseville?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Mite-dad wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:55 pm

Rock Ridge???
Shocked RR lost to Greenway. Thought Virginia by themselves would have been a step above Greenway this year, much less adding the best of E-G to the team. Time will tell if Greenway is better than predicted, RR worse than predicted, or perhaps RR went in a bit too overconfident against a Greenway program that showed last year that even if they aren't the most talented, they will give you everything they got.
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

A couple of weeks into the season, let's see what things look like (only went through the teams on the first page of comments).

Rogers 2-1-1
Lost to Lakeville South 3 to 1
Beat Elk River 3 to 2
Beat Minnetonka 5 to 4
Tied Blaine 4 to 4

Shakopee 2-1
Beat Hopkins 3 to 1
Beat New Prague 1 to 0
Lost to Lakeville North 3 to 1

Northern Lakes 1-1
Lost to Fergus Falls 4 to 1
Beat Brainerd 4 to 2

Holy Angels 3-1
Beat Rochester Lourdes 9 to 0
Beat Rochester Century 8 to 2
Lost to Woodbury 3 to 2
Beat Holy Family 2 to 1

Buffalo 1-3
Lost to Elk River 7 to 3
Beat Brainerd 6 to 1
Lost to Delano 8 to 1
Lost to Chaska 3 to 1

Chaska 5-0 (It was thought this team was at a point to stop being a weigh station for top players and move into a top 10-15 program in the state)
Beat St. Thomas Academy 4 to 3
Beat Duluth East 3 to 1
Beat Chanhassen 3 to 2
Beat Bloomington Kennedy 9 to 1
Beat Buffalo 3 to 1

Woodbury 3-2
Lost to Denfeld 7 to 6
Beat Mankato East 5 to 2
Beat Apple Valley 6 to 4
Beat Holy Angels 3 to 2
Lost to Cretin-Derham Hall 8 to 1

Northfield 3-1