Hermantown JV to play Dodge Co.

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Eagles93

Hermantown JV to play Dodge Co.

Post by Eagles93 »

#BREAKING: a source tells me that the Hermantown boys varsity hockey team is in quarantine due to exposure to COVID-19 last week. Therefore, the Hawks' JV team will take part in tomorrow's Class A state quarterfinals game against Dodge County.

https://twitter.com/SamAliSports/status ... 3796417536
InYourFace09

Re: Hermantown JV to play Dodge Co.

Post by InYourFace09 »

Eagles93 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:48 pm #BREAKING: a source tells me that the Hermantown boys varsity hockey team is in quarantine due to exposure to COVID-19 last week. Therefore, the Hawks' JV team will take part in tomorrow's Class A state quarterfinals game against Dodge County.

https://twitter.com/SamAliSports/status ... 3796417536
Would assume Zam Plante should be able to play since he didn't play in the section games.

Assume same will be for Hill Murray also then?
Last edited by InYourFace09 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

We knew this was a possibility with sport, saw it in the college ranks with Michigan, but it's jarring to have the top seed bounced.

I suppose congrats to Gentry on their state title - can't imagine I'll watch many of the Class A games with this development unfortunately.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

Zam didnt play but he was on the bench, so would they consider that in close contact?
blindref

Post by blindref »

Aren’t playoff rosters due at the start of sections?
How are jv kids eligible?
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

I would assume due to COVID there is an exception?
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Question: If Hermantown’s JV beats Dodge County, doesn’t that forever end the argument that they should be playing AA (like their youth teams; both Hermantown Bantam and Peewee AA teams made state tournament this year, by the way).
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

SpreadOut! wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:31 pm Question: If Hermantown’s JV beats Dodge County, doesn’t that forever end the argument that they should be playing AA (like their youth teams; both Hermantown Bantam and Peewee AA teams made state tournament this year, by the way).
Yeah, but the PW AAs went 0-2 and the Bantam AAs went 1-2. However, the Bantam's first game loss to Wayzata was a 3-2 game and Wayzata ended up winning it. Still, they'll now use these results to try and justify that they don't belong in high school AA... 8)
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

Sounds like maybe a re-seeding should be in order. Hard to imagine Hermantown JV being a #1 Seed.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

In the Twitter thread from Sam Ali, there is a post from what is ostensibly a Hermantown parent and/or coach: "Wait till you hear the whole story....you will see it for what it is/fake/revenge etc."

It's Twitter, so obviously I have no idea if there is any truth here, but if so, it adds another whole level of intrigue to the situation.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Per Star Tribune: Hermantown will use a mostly JV roster, consisting of 10 skaters and a goalie, and Zam Plante will play.
Last edited by rainier2 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InYourFace09

Post by InYourFace09 »

rainier2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:14 pm In the Twitter thread from Sam Ali, there is a post from what is ostensibly a Hermantown parent and/or coach: "Wait till you hear the whole story....you will see it for what it is/fake/revenge etc."

It's Twitter, so obviously I have no idea if there is any truth here, but if so, it adds another whole level of intrigue to the situation.
Also appears it was from the Semi final game on the 23rd. Any chance H-town wins and guys can come back for Fridays games?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Puckguy19 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm Sounds like maybe a re-seeding should be in order. Hard to imagine Hermantown JV being a #1 Seed.
Not happening at this late stage. Too many moving parts.
rainier2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:14 pm In the Twitter thread from Sam Ali, there is a post from what is ostensibly a Hermantown parent and/or coach: "Wait till you hear the whole story....you will see it for what it is/fake/revenge etc."

Not to fan rumor mills further and imply nefarious motives where none may exist, but during the latest podcast Tony basically predicted this sort of thing may happen. There are huge numbers of asymptomatic Covid-positive high school kids, and just about any team could produce a positive if fully tested. It wouldn’t be too hard to stick it to a victorious rival that way.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Strikes me less likely as a chance at revenge rather than a face saving step taken by Hermantown to dodge Gentry the last year they're in A. They already had one game with them canceled this year for Covid too IIRC.

Bet Plante organized the extra tests to avoid getting shelled 6-0 in the championship.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm
Puckguy19 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:53 pm Sounds like maybe a re-seeding should be in order. Hard to imagine Hermantown JV being a #1 Seed.

Not to fan rumor mills further and imply nefarious motives where none may exist, but during the latest podcast Tony basically predicted this sort of thing may happen. There are huge numbers of asymptomatic Covid-positive high school kids, and just about any team could produce a positive if fully tested. It wouldn’t be too hard to stick it to a victorious rival that way.

There is certainly no love loss between Hermantown and the other 7A boys hockey schools. So unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked if a team or individual player intentionally did this. However, despite my frustration with Hermantown's refusal to play AA all these years, I would never support any school or individual player trying to end Hermantown's season by intentionally "entrapping" them in a Covid conundrum. That's simply not the way to make your point or, "get back at them". It's a short-term, chicken-bleep way to make whoever may have done it feel good for a few days or weeks. Absolutely the wrong way to try and make your point. Two "wrongs" don't make a "right"...
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

From Sam Ali Twitter: "Just got off the phone with Hermantown head coach Patrick Andrews. He is currently finalizing the team's roster for tomorrow, which will be the entire JV squad, as well as junior goalie Cole Thorsvik, senior forward Cameron Pietrusa and sophomore forward Zam Plante."
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

thestickler07 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 pm Strikes me less likely as a chance at revenge rather than a face saving step taken by Hermantown to dodge Gentry the last year they're in A. They already had one game with them canceled this year for Covid too IIRC.

Bet Plante organized the extra tests to avoid getting shelled 6-0 in the championship.
thestickler07 may be on to something :lol:
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Stang5280 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:44 pm

That's right, with asymptomatic carriers and the false positivity rate of the tests, you'd be very fortunate to test a team of 20 and not have a positive even if everyone were completely healthy.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

rainier2 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:28 pm From Sam Ali Twitter: "Just got off the phone with Hermantown head coach Patrick Andrews. He is currently finalizing the team's roster for tomorrow, which will be the entire JV squad, as well as junior goalie Cole Thorsvik, senior forward Cameron Pietrusa and sophomore forward Zam Plante."
Sam Ali Twitter: "Andrews added that if the Hawks win tomorrow, the varsity players' quarantine would end Friday, making them eligible for the state semi-finals, as well as the potential championship game on Saturday."
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

So, I barely follow Class A at all; what are the odds of Hermantown winning with their JV?
Hockey Is For Everyone
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 pm So, I barely follow Class A at all; what are the odds of Hermantown winning with their JV?
There’s a chance, especially if Plante is able to give it a go and is near his normal self. This suddenly becomes the most interesting game of the day tomorrow.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

You could make a cast that Dodge County against Hermantown's JV will be a more entertaining game than Dodge County against Hermantown's varsity.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Unfortunate situation but tis the year of the covid. Actually makes this game very interesting! Basically Zam vs dodge county. I don't wish ill against any teams but of all the teams to have this happen to I am the least disgruntled that it was hermantown. Kinda feels like the hockey gods serving a little dish of karma soup.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

InThePipes wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:02 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:58 pm So, I barely follow Class A at all; what are the odds of Hermantown winning with their JV?
There’s a chance, especially if Plante is able to give it a go and is near his normal self. This suddenly becomes the most interesting game of the day tomorrow.
I have to think DC's varsity d-men will be more effective on Plante than Hermantown's JV d-men will be on Lamb. :-k
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

This is just crazy.

So will Hermantown have a full line up or are that just running 10 players? Kind of confused