Hill-Murray Update

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313
Posts: 3754
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by goldy313 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:16 am

Getitright wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:04 am
I mentioned this earlier but the main blame I have with the mshl is this:

Knowing what the mdh guidelines are, they should have revised all section schedules so they were completed in excess of 7 days prior to each class’ first tournament game. This would have reduced the risk of a COVID issue by 50%. This would totally remove any cross exposure issue. For not doing this they failed the kids. This would have eliminated any finger pointing. Both Hermantown and hill would then have been able to participate in the tourney as their non participation resulted from outside of their respective teams.
No.
At the outset the MSHSL said they wanted distinct sports seasons and internationally tried to limit overlap. Baseball practice started over a week ago, games start next week. Other sports started the past Monday. A total of 16 teams make the state tournament, taking another week to 10 days off the schedule would have cost teams 3-5 games. From the outset the coaches asked for as many games as possible.

Sorry but hockey is not the center of the universe. Kids already lost a baseball, track, tennis, and lacrosse season, asking them to either shorten it even more or choose a sport is myopic in my opinion.

FWIW even delaying the state tournament doesn’t guarantee a kid on one of the participating teams doesn’t test positive and knock them out anyway.

bardown27
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by bardown27 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:57 am

goldy313 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:16 am
Getitright wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:04 am
I mentioned this earlier but the main blame I have with the mshl is this:

Knowing what the mdh guidelines are, they should have revised all section schedules so they were completed in excess of 7 days prior to each class’ first tournament game. This would have reduced the risk of a COVID issue by 50%. This would totally remove any cross exposure issue. For not doing this they failed the kids. This would have eliminated any finger pointing. Both Hermantown and hill would then have been able to participate in the tourney as their non participation resulted from outside of their respective teams.
No.
At the outset the MSHSL said they wanted distinct sports seasons and internationally tried to limit overlap. Baseball practice started over a week ago, games start next week. Other sports started the past Monday. A total of 16 teams make the state tournament, taking another week to 10 days off the schedule would have cost teams 3-5 games. From the outset the coaches asked for as many games as possible.

Sorry but hockey is not the center of the universe. Kids already lost a baseball, track, tennis, and lacrosse season, asking them to either shorten it even more or choose a sport is myopic in my opinion.

FWIW even delaying the state tournament doesn’t guarantee a kid on one of the participating teams doesn’t test positive and knock them out anyway.
No one had to shorten the spring sports or delay the state tournament to give them enough time (7 days) between section finals and state quarters to cover a potential close contact from a section final opponent.

Class A: Play Ins on 3/16 (like they did), QF 3/18 (like half of class A did), SF 3/20 (like half of class A did) and finals 3/22 (yes moved up a few days). Then state QF on 3/30 allowing 8 days between section finals and state QF.

Class AA: QF on 3/18 (like 6/8 did, with the other 2 on 3/17), SF on 3/20 (like 7/8 did, other on 3/19) and finals on 3/24 (like 6/8 did). Then swap Girls AA state semis to W 3/31, and boys AA to quarters on Th (4/1, allowing 8 days between section finals and state QF) , semis on F, and finals on Sat like a normal year.

Nothing delayed, spring sports not shortened, and you solve the scheduling problem. If I can figure this out in 15 minutes, the MSHSL should have been able to figure this out in 3-4 months.

jg2112
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm

Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.

bardown27
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by bardown27 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm

jg2112 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.
What about the others on those teams who were seniors who weren’t going on to play at the next level? Too bad so sad?

jg2112
Posts: 818
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:36 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by jg2112 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:28 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm
jg2112 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.
What about the others on those teams who were seniors who weren’t going on to play at the next level? Too bad so sad?
Yes. These things happen during a global pandemic. They should be grateful they got a senior season to play. Last year's baseball, track and lacrosse teams didn't get that opportunity.

It might just be a good reminder that these are sports, the games end for all of us at some point, life moves on, and things aren't always fair that happen to you, but how you react to it is 90 percent of the battle of life.

These boys will be just fine.

goldy313
Posts: 3754
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by goldy313 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm
jg2112 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.
What about the others on those teams who were seniors who weren’t going on to play at the next level? Too bad so sad?
Yes, that is life. Everyone's season ends. Time to move on.

Getitright
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Getitright » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:13 pm

By no means saying this is life or death. Very little is. Just saying mshl had an option and dropped the ball.

Eagles93
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Getitright wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:13 pm
By no means saying this is life or death. Very little is. Just saying mshl had an option and dropped the ball.
Respectfully disagree. This came down to Hill-Murray wanting special treatment which they were denied. As I said, I'm not a Hill-Murray "hater", I just appreciate rules being applied consistently and fairly.

Getitright
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:22 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Getitright » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:22 pm

Final post on this. Hermantown didn’t ask for special treatment. Not my point. Point is if you are for the kids and can take precautions and set up scheduling so as to have the best chance for all teams to partake, with minimal altering of schedules , you do it. They didn’t.

slacsap
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by slacsap » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:45 pm

My main complaint is not so much the fact that the MSHSL was unwilling to adjust the schedule to allow Hill and Wayzata to play. My problem is, and has been for quite awhile, the fact the MSHSL offers no rationale or explanation for their decisions and does not take responsibility for the decisions they make. The statement they released on Tuesday evening was a perfect example. They said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Hill Murray High School has informed us that they will be unable to play their scheduled game in tomorrow's state tournament". Hill-Murray did not inform the MSHSL that they were unable to play, the MSHSL informed Hill-Murray that they would not be able to play. A large part of what the MSHSL does involves making difficult and often unpopular decisions. When you make those decisions, you take ownership of them. If the MSHSL would ever do this, they would be looked at in a much better light.

Slap Shot
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Slap Shot » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:16 pm

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm
jg2112 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.
What about the others on those teams who were seniors who weren’t going on to play at the next level? Too bad so sad?
Yes.

Eagles93
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm

slacsap wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:45 pm
Hill-Murray did not inform the MSHSL that they were unable to play, the MSHSL informed Hill-Murray that they would not be able to play.
Unless I'm missing something, the MSHSL statement is accurate. Hill-Murray was not able to participate in their game on Wednesday due to their quarantine not being complete until Thursday. The MSHSL didn't say they couldn't play, the Hill-Murray administration was following Department of Health guidelines (like every other school) in not allowing the team to play on Wednesday.

slacsap
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by slacsap » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 pm
slacsap wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:45 pm
Hill-Murray did not inform the MSHSL that they were unable to play, the MSHSL informed Hill-Murray that they would not be able to play.
Unless I'm missing something, the MSHSL statement is accurate. Hill-Murray was not able to participate in their game on Wednesday due to their quarantine not being complete until Thursday. The MSHSL didn't say they couldn't play, the Hill-Murray administration was following Department of Health guidelines (like every other school) in not allowing the team to play on Wednesday.
So you're saying it was entirely up to Hill-Murray whether or not they played on Wednesday?

Eagles93
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:13 pm

slacsap wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:00 pm
So you're saying it was entirely up to Hill-Murray whether or not they played on Wednesday?
Yes, not the players or coaches or parents, but the Hill-Murray school administrators.

Eagles93
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:04 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Eagles93 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:15 pm

I'll add that I have no idea what transpired, I'm assuming the school administrators followed the same protocol that every other school district has followed this year and said the team couldn't play.

slacsap
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by slacsap » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Eagles93 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:15 pm
I'll add that I have no idea what transpired, I'm assuming the school administrators followed the same protocol that every other school district has followed this year and said the team couldn't play.
Well, it would certainly be admirable if that's the way things went. Do you really believe that if the school administration would have sent the team to the X on Wednesday that the MSHSL would have let them play?

WestMetro
Posts: 3430
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by WestMetro » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:16 pm

The 2nd classy statement put out by Coach Lechner this week .

https://twitter.com/hmboyshockey/status ... 83085?s=21

Joe2015
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Joe2015 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:34 am

jg2112 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.
Thank you.............yes it really really sucks for Hill and Hermantown. And could the MSHSL have been more flexible? Sure

But life goes on: it is just a hockey tournament

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:27 am

bardown27 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm
jg2112 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 pm
Let's all be thankful we got the season we got. In most other countries, there were no youth sports this winter. They didn't try.

Last winter, Paige Bueckers had her season cancelled the night before the state title game. Jalen Suggs didn't get the chance to play at all. Life goes on and they're having great years now.

Let's not worry about the Hill-Murray team. They'll be fine.
What about the others on those teams who were seniors who weren’t going on to play at the next level? Too bad so sad?
Paige Bueckers? Jalen Suggs? Never heard of ‘em.

tourneytickssince59
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by tourneytickssince59 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Just curious how many kids on wbl got tested after the game last week.

slacsap
Posts: 115
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by slacsap » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:23 pm

At least one apparently

WestMetro
Posts: 3430
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by WestMetro » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:02 pm

Another display of total class by Coach Lechner on Kfan this morning

Corn Cobb
Posts: 457
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:16 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Corn Cobb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:42 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Another display of total class by Coach Lechner on Kfan this morning
Agreed. That couldn't have been an enjoyable interview to have. Lechner handled it very well.

Sparlimb
Posts: 2004
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Sparlimb » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:48 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Another display of total class by Coach Lechner on Kfan this morning
What show was he on? I'd like to podcast it.

nevermind found it.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-beyo ... -28947547/

ChrisK
Posts: 902
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:39 am

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by ChrisK » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:31 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:48 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:02 pm
Another display of total class by Coach Lechner on Kfan this morning
What show was he on? I'd like to podcast it.

nevermind found it.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/462-beyo ... -28947547/
I haven't listened to this, but was impressed by Lechner's statement via Twitter.

Many years ago, Hill ran into a situation involving misbehavior and rule breaking by senior members of a team that had won the state championship the year before. Even though MSHSL rules only required a two week suspension, Hill had higher standards and based on those standards, Lechner booted the players off the team even though it likely cost them a decent shot at another championship.

I am definitely not a Hill fan, but Lechner really earned my respect for his willingness to stick to his principles and make a tough decision like that. He continues to earn my respect for the way he's handled this, he appears to get that there's more to life than hockey and that difficult situations can often offer more life lessons than winning a championship can.
It's hard to win when you always lose.

Post Reply