Hill-Murray Update

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

thestickler07

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by thestickler07 »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:05 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm
thestickler07 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:16 pm

This whole episode has made me like HM a lot more - the MSHSL are a bunch of bums for trying to keep them out.
#-o
Yes, the MSHSL is specifically trying to keep one of its biggest brands, who also happen to be the defending champs, out of its crown jewel event. (Sarcasm, in case it wasn’t obvious)

I don’t particularly begrudge HM for pursuing all avenues to compete, but the MSHSL is just applying rules equally in this case, the same as it has against other teams.
Except they're not.

If there is literally one thing everyone in society has learned during this pandemic it's that rule application is *never* equal or consistent.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

There is no MDH quarantine related to travel in this state. There never has been.

All medical information is confidential, even more so with minors. Hill-Murray, their parents, players, or anyone else has no right to any medical information of someone from another team. None. Asking to have it provided puts people at risk of breaking the law.
Last edited by goldy313 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Will MShSL make an official statement on this matter at some point? It is under 17 hours until game time. If there is a forfeit, will the Moorhead game time be moved up to 11? 12?

A little communication wouldn't hurt.
Hockey Is For Everyone
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm Will MShSL make an official statement on this matter at some point? It is under 17 hours until game time. If there is a forfeit, will the Moorhead game time be moved up to 11? 12?

I bet the most mention this will get is in the notes section of a Millea blog.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

thestickler07 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:40 pm
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm Will MShSL make an official statement on this matter at some point? It is under 17 hours until game time. If there is a forfeit, will the Moorhead game time be moved up to 11? 12?

I bet the most mention this will get is in the notes section of a Millea blog.
Um, presumably before 11AM tomorrow something will need to said.
Hockey Is For Everyone
hm88

Post by hm88 »

BodyShots wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 pm I'm starting to like HT more and HM even less than I already do. Bringing lawyers into High School sports. #-o
Didn’t think I could dislike WBL more. Heard rumors they were prepared to pull something like this before the game was even played. If you can’t beat’em on the ice at least during Covid you can end their season off the ice.

Sad that the MSHSL claims to put the student athletes first...they’ve failed in multiple situations to make a positive judgement call on more than one situation this year. Centennial girls - plenty of time to play their quarterfinal game before this Thursday among others. The list goes on...
kpryan88

Post by kpryan88 »

Anyone else think the 3/4 seed was a little suspect in 4AA? I know this is a total conspiracy theory, but hear me out.
Suburban East conference played no non-conference games. All teams played the same opponents and the results were:
Team A finished 14-3-1, got seeded 2nd. That logic plays.
Team B finished 11-6-1, should be seeded 3rd, right?
Team C finished 9-8-1, should be seeded 4th.

If the seeding made any logical sense looking at the season as a whole, we aren’t having this conversation cuz Stillwater would have gotten the 3rd seed and beaten the Bears in the semi’s. Oh well, seasons over, MSHSL still sucks.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Spar/ Eastsiders - I mean are the pioneers just going to show up at their scheduled game tomorrow and come in to the rink? If they did, is someone going to be there to tell them they can’t play, knowing the cameras will be rolling ?
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 pm Spar/ Eastsiders - I mean are the pioneers just going to show up at their scheduled game tomorrow and come in to the rink? If they did, is someone going to be there to tell them they can’t play, knowing the cameras will be rolling ?
There’s an article on Kare 11’s site that seems to imply thats a possibility. There is also a note saying options are being discussed at 8:00 PM tonight.
Last edited by BlueLineSpecial on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 pm Spar/ Eastsiders - I mean are the pioneers just going to show up at their scheduled game tomorrow and come in to the rink? If they did, is someone going to be there to tell them they can’t play, knowing the cameras will be rolling ?
Meeting between HM and MSHSL at 8:00 pm tonight to discuss options.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

thestickler07 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:30 pm
Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:53 pm

#-o
Yes, the MSHSL is specifically trying to keep one of its biggest brands, who also happen to be the defending champs, out of its crown jewel event. (Sarcasm, in case it wasn’t obvious)

I don’t particularly begrudge HM for pursuing all avenues to compete, but the MSHSL is just applying rules equally in this case, the same as it has against other teams.
Except they're not.

If there is literally one thing everyone in society has learned during this pandemic it's that rule application is *never* equal or consistent.
I guess I just watched Hermantown’s varsity give up six goals to Brody Lamb in a 7-3 loss?? Sure, only HM is being forced to quarantine after exposure during sections. Totally unequal treatment :roll:
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

Stang5280 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Except they're not.

I guess I just watched Hermantown’s varsity give up six goals to Brody Lamb in a 7-3 loss?? Sure, only HM is being forced to quarantine after exposure during sections. Totally unequal treatment :roll:
It's okay to question guidelines, decisions, rulings and push when you feel wronged. Why not try? Doesn't look like Hermantown pushed the issue very hard. Did they perhaps have a positive too?
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Done deal, feel terrible for the kids. :(
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm Done deal, feel terrible for the kids. :(
What happened in the meeting?
Be kind. Rewind.
MedleyWR

Post by MedleyWR »

hm88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:57 pm
BodyShots wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:02 pm I'm starting to like HT more and HM even less than I already do. Bringing lawyers into High School sports. #-o
Didn’t think I could dislike WBL more. Heard rumors they were prepared to pull something like this before the game was even played. If you can’t beat’em on the ice at least during Covid you can end their season off the ice.
You heard rumors that WBL was prepared to pull WHAT? What exactly are you alleging? Do you have any evidence that WBL or anyone else did something wrong, or are you just spreading conspiracy theory BS??
If you can't say something nice, don't say anything.
tourneytickssince59

https://mobile.twitter.com/HMBoysHockey
Coach Lechner's statement.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

tourneytickssince59 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:40 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Except they're not.

It's okay to question guidelines, decisions, rulings and push when you feel wronged. Why not try? Doesn't look like Hermantown pushed the issue very hard. Did they perhaps have a positive too?

Hermantown did not have a positive case.
hm88

Post by hm88 »

MedleyWR wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm
hm88 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:57 pm
You heard rumors that WBL was prepared to pull WHAT? What exactly are you alleging? Do you have any evidence that WBL or anyone else did something wrong, or are you just spreading conspiracy theory BS??
I guess it wasn’t obvious...to come up with a positive Covid test that would make their hated rival Hill-Murray ineligible for their state tournament game.

No proof of a positive test, no proof of the kid having symptoms during the game. Say WBL pulled the upset, would we be hearing about their player testing positive right now? Probably not.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm
InThePipes wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pm Done deal, feel terrible for the kids. :(
https://www.mshsl.org/about/news/tourna ... nt-bracket
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

So kid on WBL developed symptoms sometime AFTER the game ended Wednesday night, went and got tested and got positive results by Sunday, when HM was notified? What are odds said kid DID NOT have symptoms prior to Wednesday game? I’m not a conspiracy theory guy but potential for sabotage here involving hated rivals is high and not out of the question.
jdh

Post by jdh »

Hill Murray OUT of Tournament.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Maybe someone knows for sure.....

A couple of weeks ago, when teams started pulling out of the post season, I was told that it was the MDH Return to Play guidance that was causing teams to suspend play due to contact tracing absent a positive test on their own team.

Was Hill-Murray shut down by the MDH or the MSHSL? That is a very important question nobody seems to know the answer to.....or at least say who is actually making the final decision. It seems the standard has been held pretty consistent over the last few weeks among many sports. A couple of posters have thrown out accusations of cheating at this but won’t offer up an actual example. (With HIIPA it is all probably here say at any rate)
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

The suggestions any of you are making about WBL are simply embarrassing.

Everyone's been affected by COVID, including the hockey programs at Hill-Murray. Deal with it. Not everything is a conspiracy theory.
tourneytickssince59

TheNightman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:04 pm
O-townClown wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm
https://www.mshsl.org/about/news/tourna ... nt-bracket
The statement by the MSHSL makes it sound like it was HM decision not to play. Obviously not and quite the deflection by the league.
"The Minnesota State High School League has been notified by Hill-Murray High School that they will not be participating in tomorrow’s quarterfinal game of the 2021 Class AA Boys State Hockey Tournament.

"These situations are difficult for everyone involved and when the experience impacted is in our State Hockey Tournament, it is magnified even more. We would love to have a full tournament bracket for this iconic event, and these interruptions are frustrating and incredibly unfortunate,” said Erich Martens, MSHSL Executive Director."

And by the way, got an email from MSHSL telling me I can start buying tickets for games starting Thursday. No thanks.
Last edited by tourneytickssince59 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Last Wednesday I watched a whole line of youth hockey players going to get Covid tests after participating in a Minnesota Hockey regional tournament. They were following the MDH guidelines. To throw wild accusations is ludicrous, Hill-Murray isn’t the first team to be knocked out like they were. Cripes we lost over half our section football teams this past fall.

To not see this coming given the guidelines is pretty myopic by anyone. I get it, it sucks for those affected but it has gone on since the fall.