Hill-Murray Update

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Sparlimb

Re: Hill-Murray Update

Post by Sparlimb »

Eagles93 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:48 pm
kpryan88 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:27 pm
Hill has 0 positive tests. Why should they be punished because their last opponent suddenly has a positive test 5 days later? Doesn’t feel like the same thing when they don’t have any positive tests in their program. I haven’t seen any team have a game canceled because a previous opponent had a positive test while they had no positive tests.
This happened a ton of times this year.
Which is why the MSHSL could have given two weeks in between to make this not an issue. Lack of planning is showing.

Granted if Hill's JV comes in to play and wins, it would be an epic story.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Hill has 0 positive tests. Why should they be punished because their last opponent suddenly has a positive test 5 days later? Doesn’t feel like the same thing when they don’t have any positive tests in their program. I haven’t seen any team have a game canceled because a previous opponent had a positive test while they had no positive tests.
Unfortunately yes, it’s happened a lot at all levels and across all sports.
slacsap

Post by slacsap »

Pushing the tournament back a week really was not an option. MSHSL dos not to want to run hockey and basketball tournament the same weekend and both the boys' and girl's basketball tournaments are next weekend. Theoretically, both tournaments could have been pushed back, but doing that would have meant finishing three weeks after the start of spring sports, which is already a short season.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Sparlimb wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:56 pm
Which is why the MSHSL could have given two weeks in between to make this not an issue. Lack of planning is showing.

Granted if Hill's JV comes in to play and wins, it would be an epic story.
The MSHSL has screwed this up from the start. Had we started all fall sports on time they would have concluded just as the infection rate spiked. Had we started winter sports on time some teams would have gotten off to a late start but we would be done by now. When I look across the border and see that Iowa fared far better than we have in getting their high school sports seasons to the finish line it is astonishing how inept the MSHSL has been in navigating this. Part of this falls on the Governor and his mandates as well.

Either sports are too dangerous or they are not. Dressing in parking lots then sitting hip to hip for an hour and a half on a bench panting makes no common sense (especially in a 19,000 seat arena with miles of concourses).

As for delaying the state tournament two weeks.....my schools first baseball game is in ten days and we are in our second week of practice.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

goldy313 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:22 pm Why should Hill-Murray be favored? There is whole litany of schools who didn’t get that opportunity in many sports. It sucks, but you can’t change the system everyone competed in now.
This ☝️
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Let's Play Hockey: @LetsPlay_Hockey

10:04am
Nine Hill-Murray Hockey players, through an attorney, are in the process of filing a lawsuit in district court against the Minnesota State High School League regarding their participation in the state hockey tournament.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

This cracks me up. HM complaining about the rules and tournament set up only when it affects them. :lol: :lol:

Didn't hear much complaining from HM when WBL lost their best player to a technicality. #-o
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

BodyShots wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am This cracks me up. HM complaining about the rules and tournament set up only when it affects them. :lol: :lol:

Didn't hear much complaining from HM when WBL lost their best player to a technicality. #-o
I think a lawsuit is going a little far. And I doubt it will do anything. Either play the jv, or just don't show. Those are their choices.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am Let's Play Hockey: @LetsPlay_Hockey

Nine Hill-Murray Hockey players, through an attorney, are in the process of filing a lawsuit in district court against the Minnesota State High School League regarding their participation in the state hockey tournament.
Any Legal Beagles on here who have either seen the lawsuit or can comment on the strategy?
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

This is ridiculous. Glad they lawyered up. If they have no positive tests they should be able to play.
Smooth

Post by Smooth »

Karma can be a mean animal
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

BodyShots wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am This cracks me up. HM complaining about the rules and tournament set up only when it affects them. :lol: :lol:
I too, like any normal person, care more about things that impact me more than strangers.
BodyShots wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 amDidn't hear much complaining from HM when WBL lost their best player to a technicality. #-o
Maybe WBL should've been more forceful if they thought they were wronged.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:11 am
Doc Holliday wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:06 am Let's Play Hockey: @LetsPlay_Hockey

Any Legal Beagles on here who have either seen the lawsuit or can comment on the strategy?
I'd have to see the brief to have any idea about what authority they are relying on but there's a nonzero chance this could be heard fairly quickly.

I can't imagine the MSHSL will want to fight this though and will likely work out a solution outside court.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Full disclosure, I'm not involved in this lawsuit nor have I seen it. But my thoughts from 20 years in law:

My guess is that this is actually a business injunction, not a temporary restraining order. A business injunction attempts to make an unfair or unjust situation more fair or just. You are required to show harm, and prove that the harm caused without the injunction is greater than the harm with it. Business injunctions can be filed and in place very quickly. A prohibitory injunction prohibits a defendant (in this case, the MSHSL) from taking action and can last 10 days. There are all sorts of other variants, but this one makes the most sense to me.

I have no idea what will come of this. I don't know if this is a separate, 'just in case' effort and there are still ongoing negotiations. But typically filing something like this implies the two parties are at an impasse. A temporary restraining order or business injunction filed by Hill can absolutely compel or stop the MSHSL from all sorts of things, temporarily. My guess would be that Hill's argument is valid and an injunction would be successful. To what end, I don't know. Enough to stop them from interceding in Hill playing in tomorrow's game? Certainly possible.
Last edited by BlueLineSpecial on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

One solution is to follow the rules set up by the Department of Health.

Another solution is for every team to COVID test the day of their game.

That's the elephant in the room here. Hill-Murray could go get tested before their game tomorrow. Will they file a lawsuit if a team member tests positive?

As usual, congrats to the parents for bringing the lawyers in. Life in America in 2021. What an embarrassment.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

jg2112 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:00 am One solution is to follow the rules set up by the Department of Health.

Another solution is for every team to COVID test the day of their game.

That's the elephant in the room here. Hill-Murray could go get tested before their game tomorrow. Will they file a lawsuit if a team member tests positive?

As usual, congrats to the parents for bringing the lawyers in. Life in America in 2021. What an embarrassment.
I would assume (without knowledge) that they are doing tests several times and that if they had even one kid positive they'd go quietly into the night. But injunctions to play high school sports seems a step too far to me.
bodyup88

Post by bodyup88 »

Speaking of COVID jg2112, why don't you shed a little light on the Gentry girls situation relative to Hill or Hermantown boys? Your skater plays for the Gentry girls doesn't she?
BlueLineSpecial

goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The MSHSL could just end the season now if forced to alter the plan everyone has played under this far.

Hopefully the judge laughs this out of his courtroom.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

I got a kick of the following excerpt from the article. Are these players getting paid under the table?

"The complaint states that if the boys are unable to compete, they will suffer irreparable harm. The complaint states the potential of loss opportunity and income for players".
Gov78

Post by Gov78 »

Never a big fan of Hill-Murray for obvious reasons and certainly don't like when parents bring lawyers into HS sports as seems like overkill but with the money spent these days on kids and athletic programs I'm not surprised any longer by anything parents do.

More than anything I'd hate to see a game become a forfeit when there are probably workable options that both teams would agree to as Wayzata already stated they are open to moving to Thursday.
Lace'emUp

Post by Lace'emUp »

Per the article, "The complaint states that if the boys are unable to compete, they will suffer irreparable harm"
I get it, it sucks. But suffer irreparable harm? I have a kid on the Centennial girls team. Last week was tough, really tough for them. But I don't see that it's suffering irreparable harm to my kid. She's doing ok. I'm guessing the HM boys will be ok too.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

Lace'emUp wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:37 am
Per the article, "The complaint states that if the boys are unable to compete, they will suffer irreparable harm"
I get it, it sucks. But suffer irreparable harm? I have a kid on the Centennial girls team. Last week was tough, really tough for them. But I don't see that it's suffering irreparable harm to my kid. She's doing ok. I'm guessing the HM boys will be ok too.
That's the standard that has to be met for a TRO to issue.

You would be surprised how low the bar is for a lot of orders.
BlueLineSpecial

Mixed bag of emotions for me. The word lawsuit elicits all sorts of feelings, so I can understand how people would be put off by this. That said, having spent a lot of my adult life in the legal world I also see first-hand why a formal court effort is the most efficient way to remedy a situation.

Believe me, no one is going to get laughed out of the courtroom with this. I think the merits of the case are probably valid, and it appears they've made a legitimate argument. Again, this restraining order or injunction isn't meant to be permanent, and there isn't enough time to make any conclusive arguments/decisions by tomorrow. It's intent is simply to stop someone or something from taking action in the short term. My guess, it'll be successful. Injunctions and restraining orders usually are. They give the courts time to review something while ensuring that further harm isn't done in the meantime. This is textbook that.

I have no problems sticking it to the MSHSL. The fact that there's a simple and viable option already accepted by the opposing team [Wayzata agreeing to move the game a day and work with everyone on a venue] that apparently isn't even being considered is silly.