Seeding 6AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Seeding 6AA

Post by O-townClown »

I'll take a stab at this one.

1) Cretin, did not play any team from the section...very weak schedule

2) Edina, rubber match with Wayzata on March 4th needed to secure this spot
3) Wayzata, still have Edina, Benilde & St. Louis Park
4) Benilde

5) Blake, big game March 8th w/ St. Louis Park
6) St. Louis Park

7) Holy Angels
8) Hopkins

I suppose things could go sideways if Edina loses to Wayzata and then Benilde beats Wayzata.
Be kind. Rewind.
Sparlimb

Re: Seeding 6AA

Post by Sparlimb »

Edina is barely .500 on the season and could easily end underneath. So I'm not sure I'd be giving them the #2 seed...

1. CDH - Not sure how tested, but a gawdy record.
2. Wayzata - Better record than Edina
3. Edina - Beat Benilde, even though Benilde has the better record
4. Benilde
5. SLP - Solid season
6. Blake - could flip flop with SLP
7. Holy Angels
8. Hopkins

any of the top 4 can win the section, but I'd guess Wayzata...
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Sparlimb wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:31 am
any of the top 4 can win the section, but I'd guess (give me another week)...
This
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Yeah, a lot is still in flux here. If Edina wins the rematch with Wayzata on Thursday that all but locks them into the 2-seed. That's obviously a big "if" and Benilde still has time to turn things around.

Likewise, the Blake-SLP game probably determines the 5-6 seeds.

The "Edina is barely over .500" argument doesn't hold water given their schedule and quality wins.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

As of tonite March 4 ,has Wayz surpassed Cretin just on SOS and quality wins?

Wayz
Cretin
Edina
Bsm
Blake
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 pm As of tonite March 4 ,has Wayz surpassed Cretin just on SOS and quality wins?

Wayz
Cretin
Edina
Bsm
Blake
While I don't think that CDH will ultimately come out of this section, I don't think Wayzata has done enough yet to surpass them. If they run the table vs. BSM and GR down the stretch then their argument is obviously much stronger.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:59 pmAs of tonite March 4 ,has Wayz surpassed Cretin just on SOS and quality wins?
I don't see any way Cretin doesn't get the #1 seed.
Be kind. Rewind.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

However the seeding works out, my money is on Edina to win this section. Don't underestimate the ability of a successful coach to squeeze everything necessary out of his team. Out-coaching another coach with very limited or no experience in high caliber playoff games is not at all uncommon.

Cretin has been in a bubble, a very soft bubble, and I would not be at all surprised to see that bubble burst.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I said it on one of the Twitter threads so I’ll say it again here. Love this CDH team , but they only have 2-3 wins against lower top 20-25 teams . No , Cretin was not responsible for their weakened schedule, but nor are the other 6AA coaches required to ignore it . I mean why would Oleary and Giles vote them # 1 with their SOS, which almost certainly forces them to play a 4th time in a semi , and will also give BSM an easier semi route ?
Last edited by WestMetro on Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cigar

Post by cigar »

CDH does need a tough game or two under its belt to prepare...
It's first game in the section will be tough regardless where it is seeded.
I'm interested to see how they fare today, if they win today by a blowout I think they have as good a shot as anyone...
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Oof. I only saw the box score, but Cretin blowing a 6 - 1 lead is not a good look.
Hockey Is For Everyone
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Posted a comment on Section 6AA on another thread. Worth copying here with an eye on tonight's Benilde-Wayzata game.

Looking at a scenario where the state's toughest section in terms of Top 15-20 teams will most likely have its winner unseeded at state because of a lack of Top 5 candidates.

With a Wayzata win, or a tie:
1. Cretin, 2. Wayzata, 3. Edina, 4. Benilde, 5. Blake, 6. St. Louis Park, 7. Holy Angels, 8. Hopkins

With a Benilde win it gets pretty wonky. Can make a case a few ways. This?:
1. Cretin, 2. Edina, 3. Benilde, 4. Wayzata, 5. Blake, 6. St. Louis Park, 7. Holy Angels, 8. Hopkins

I don't know that Edina will drop to 4 but can see it happening. Maybe #4 is the place to be so a team draws Blake and then gets Cretin if they win.
Be kind. Rewind.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Agree if Cretin is 1...4 is a good spot to be. So what does that say about Cretin being seeded 1? Regardless who ever wins the section will have to win at least two tough games and will be deserving of a state birth GB
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

Do you think having games at the higher seed will make any difference this year?
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Cookster wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:50 pm Do you think having games at the higher seed will make any difference this year?
Such a good question, but no. I think in a loser-goes-home game at the Snoopy rink or PIC or Braemar a team will have no trouble getting up and playing to their potential. Fans aren't going to be a factor. So that leaves us with a familiar surrounding and last change. Probably not enough to make a difference.
Be kind. Rewind.