Class A Rankings 1.17.21

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Class A Rankings 1.17.21

Post by Stang5280 »

I typically don't do rankings after the first week, and particularly was not expecting to after a mere three days of games this year. However, I was spurred into action after a few upsets and notable performances, both good and bad, by certain teams, and ended up shaking things up quite a bit.

Please read these even though a certain podcast personality said not to trust anyone who didn't have East Grand Forks at the top to start the season. Wait a minute... the invincible Green Wave actually lost?! :wink:

1. Hermantown (2-0-0) [LW 1]
W 8-1 @ Superior, W 12-1 @ Eveleth
The Hawks absolutely destroyed two overmatched opponents and solidified their case as the class of Class A. Zam Plante has already racked up 10 points, though the scoring was spread around enough for nearly everyone to get in on the act. New goalie Opsahl was barely tested, facing 18 shots in five periods of work. The schedule will largely remain pillow soft until mid-February, and Hermantown should romp over the two 7A foes this week.
Next: Tue @ Hibbing, Thu @ Proctor

2. Gentry Academy (1-0-0) [LW 3]
W 8-2 vs Breck
It's only one game, but the Stars lived up to the preseason hype in dismantling a solid Breck team. Gentry spread around the scoring love, with former 16U team members Zach Reim and Nick Sajevic leading the way with two goals and an assist. This team looks very deep and skilled. The next few opponents on the schedule should be little more than speed bumps.
Next: Sat @ SPA

3. Warroad (2-0-0) [LW 4]
W 7-1 vs TRF, 6-0 vs Detroit Lakes
Not much to say here as the Warriors wiped the floor with two section foes. Jayson Shaugabay and defenseman Blake Norris have already racked up nine and eight points, respectively, while last year's backup goalie, Jack Orchard, has stepped in nicely. The winning ways should continue against a mediocre Bemidji bunch before a brutal stretch kicks in.
Next: Tue vs Bemidji

4. Mahtomedi (0-1-0) [LW 6]
L 1-2 vs Hill-Murray
In perhaps the most anticipated game of the first week, Mahtomedi acquitted themselves well in the matchup of defending champions. Dardis was spectacular as usual, but the offense was not able to convert their limited opportunities. Scoring may be an issue that will need to be remedied for this group to succeed. Things don't get any easier this week with road trips to #8 AA Benilde and Wisconsin powerhouse Hudson.
Next: Wed @ BSM, Sat @ Hudson

5. East Grand Forks (0-2-0) [LW 2]
L 1-6 @ GF Red River, L 4-7 vs GF Central
I typically don't like to overreact to a single weekend of results, particularly when facing out-of-state competition that has several games under their belts, but surrendering 13 games in two games is just plain ugly (and Roseau smashed Red River). The Green Wave have serious goaltending concerns, and trotted out a freshman Saturday who was just shellacked. EGF continues their North Dakota barnstorming tour with four games this week, including three days in a row. They will need to right the ship soon before starting the meat of the schedule.
Next: Mon vs Fargo South, Thu @ Fargo Davies, Fri @ GF Central, Sat vs GF Red River

6. Duluth Denfeld (0-0-1) [LW 7]
T 4-4 @ Duluth East
The Hunters still haven't defeated East since 2012-13, but can't feel too bad about coming out of their rivalry game with a draw. Denfeld's top line was dominant, particularly Kade Shea, and sophomore Sam Kartch was great in his first varsity action. If the defense can tighten up, this will be a formidable group. Denfeld should jump into the win column Saturday against a struggling Superior squad.
Next: Sat @ Superior

7. Little Falls (1-0-0) [LW 8]
W 4-2 vs TRF
Following the Breckenridge postponement, the Flyers registered what could best be described as a routine victory: not dominant, but fairly comfortable. They had a great first period, let TRF back into the game in the second, but scored a late goal to essentially seal the game. Couture was steady in net, and sophomore Matt Filippi was nearly unstoppable up front with two goals. The schedule is pretty light this week ahead of a big matchup with Sartell.
Next: Tue vs Princeton, Fri vs Morris

8. Delano (1-1-0) [LW 5]
L 2-4 vs Mound-Westonka, W 3-0 vs Bemidji
Notoriously a slow starting squad over the past few years, the Tigers continued that trend into 2021. Delano doomed themselves Thursday with a poor first period from which they could never claw back. The Bemidji win was a slog, and new goalie Huotari saved their bacon numerous times. We'll see if the offensive production can improve before the schedule becomes more tricky. I am still buying Delano for now, but they are on thin ice.
Tue @ Waconia, Fri. vs Hutchinson

9. St. Paul Johnson (0-0-0) [LW 9]
Idle
Nothing to see here. In fact, the next game on the Governors' schedule isn't until the 26th, which makes me think there may be a COVID issue.
Next: Idle

10. Mankato East (1-0-0) [LW 10]
W 9-0 vs Red Wing
The Cougars mauled Red Wing after their opener with Albert Lea was postponed. Shae Gavin had a hat trick in his first varsity game, with Liffrig adding two tallies. The schedule ramps up a bit, with East facing off against two of the better Big Nine teams.
Next: Tue vs Northfield, Sat @ Owatonna

11. Armstrong/Cooper (2-0-0) [LW 12]
W 4-2 vs Coon Rapids, W 6-1 @ Spring Lake Park
The Wings kicked off the season with two routine triumphs. They needed some time to pull away from Coon Rapids, while jumping all over SLP from the drop. In both cases Armstrong/Cooper handily outshot their opponents and controlled zone time. Scoring balance has been excellent so far, but Noah Weisjahn has stood out as the dominant offensive force. A/C will have to be at the top of their game to even keep things close against #2 AA Maple Grove.
Next: Thu @ Maple Grove

12. Dodge County (0-0-1) [LW 11]
T 5-5 vs Northfield
The Wildcats were not especially impressive in their opener, scraping out a tie against a mid-pack 1AA thanks to a late Brody Lamb goal. Dodge County trailed 4-1,before mounting a frenetic comeback. The Tuesday tilt with Highland Park was canceled, so DC won't be playing until the 26th barring a schedule change.
Next: Idle

13. Monticello (1-0-0) [LW 13]
W 5-3 vs Chisago Lakes
The Moose needed a third-period comeback to overcome Chisago Lakes in the season opener, tacking on an empty-netter for the final margin. Those two teams will square off again Saturday to cap off a busy week of action.
lurking as the primary conference and section challenger, and coincidentally the first up on the slate.
Next: Tue @ SCC, Thu vs St. Francis, Sat @ Chisago Lakes

14. Alexandria (1-0-0) [LW 15]
W 5-4 @ Fergus Falls
After a postponement, the Cardinals defeated upstart Fergus Falls in a rare Friday matinee. The Otters had clawed back from a two-goal deficit, but Payton Doty buried the winner late. Sophomore Tyler Kludt had two goals in his varsity debut. Alexandria can burnish its section resume with a win against Sartell.
Next: Tue @ Sartell, Thu vs Sauk Rapids

15. Mound Westonka (1-1-0) [LW 18]
W 4-2 @ Delano , T 3-3 @ Simley
A new year, another season of this team vexing me. The White Hawks jumped all over Delano in the first period and hung on for the win. Then they go out and tie a Simley squad that has been surprisingly spunky, but nowhere near the caliber of Delano., blowing a 3-0 lead. The top line is quite good, as is the defense and goaltending, but secondary scoring is an ongoing concern. The Tuesday test against Litchfield should be telling.
Next: Tue vs LDC, Thu vs Waconia

16. Breck (1-1-0) [LW 17]
W 9-3 @ SPA, L 2-8 @ Gentry
I feel dirty moving Breck up a spot after the Gentry beatdown, but that is more a result of the lackluster performances of the teams around them. The Mustangs started out well enough, thumping St. Paul Academy, but then came the buzzsaw known as Gentry Academy. Still, there are some positive signs to take away from the first week, like defenseman Carter Theissen stepping up and becoming more of an offensive catalyst. And I don't think that will be the last time Gentry makes mincemeat out of a decent team. Things lighten up for a bit until the calendar turns to February.
Next: Thu @ Providence

17. Chisago Lakes (0-1-0) [LW 19]
L 3-5 @ Monticello
The Wildcats outplayed Monticello for two periods, but couldn't hold on to their lead. Still a promising start, with a combination of young and experienced players contributing to the scoresheet. CL should collect a routine victory before the quick turnaround on the rematch with the Moose, this time on home ice.
Next: Tue @ Becker, Sat vs Monticello

18. Sartell-St. Stephen (1-1-0) [LW 16]
L 3-7 @ St. Cloud, W 2-1 @ Brainerd
The Sabres started out in wildly inconsistent fashion against two 8AA opponents. Sartell was the only 6A team to play Thursday evening, and probably wished their game had been postponed. Sartell was down 5-0 in the blink of an eye and never had a chance to recover. They bounced back nicely Saturday, with goalie Sigurdson stopping 25 of 26 shots for the victory. This is still a young team, so results like these aren't surprising. Sartell already faces one of its biggest weeks of the season, tangling with two of its main section foes.
Next: Tue vs Alexandria Thu vs Fergus Falls

19. Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato (1-0-0) [LW 20]
W 6-1 vs Willmar
Following postponement of the Orono game, the Dragons walloped Willmar in their only action, with six different players chipping in goals. This week is more interesting, with a tough test against Mound Westonka followed by an important section contest against New Ulm, one of LDC's primary competitors in 3A.
Next: Tue @ Mound, Thu @ New Ulm

20. Fergus Falls (1-1-0) [LW NR]
L 4-5 vs Alexandria, W 8-2 vs River Lakes
The Otters swim into the rankings after pushing Alex to the brink and dunking RL. The Alexandria loss stung, as they had scratched back from a two-goal deficit in the third and regained momentum. This is still a very young team, much like Sartell, and growing pains will happen given how much they rely on underclassmen. Speaking of which, Fergus Falls faces those Sabres in a Thursday night tussle.
Next: Thu @ Sartell

Out: Tartan

Others Considered: Orono, Hutchinson, Simley, SWC/Richfield, Virginia
elliott70

Re: Class A Rankings 1.17.21

Post by elliott70 »

All right now that I am not on the beach...
1 Hermantown
2 Warroad
3 Gentry
4 East grand Forks
5 Mahtomedi
6 Little Falls
7 Duluth denfeld
8 Alexandria
9 Armstrong
10 Sartell
11tie
Fergus Falls
Dodge County
13 Delano
14 St Paul Johnson
15 tie Mankato East
Mankato West
17 Mound Westonka
18 Litchfield
19 St Cloud Cathedral
20 tie Monticello
Waseca
International Falls
Red Lake Falls
Last edited by elliott70 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

No Dodge County? They tied Northfield, whereas East lost last night. Waseca may be the sneaky team in 1A.

You’re all in on 6A, and I am starting to think the same thing. 5A is just gross.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:40 pm No Dodge County? They tied Northfield, whereas East lost last night. Waseca may be the sneaky team in 1A.

You’re all in on 6A, and I am starting to think the same thing. 5A is just gross.
Yes forgot to type them in from my notes.
But they are in 1A so who cares, right?
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Stang5280 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:40 pm No Dodge County? They tied Northfield, whereas East lost last night. Waseca may be the sneaky team in 1A.

Waseca? lol.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Corn Cobb wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:08 pm

Waseca? lol.
I’m not saying they are great by any means, but grabbing the 3 seed is doable. The whole southern portion of the state has been pretty weak, except LDC if you want to count them.
HSHockeyPurist

Post by HSHockeyPurist »

"9. St. Paul Johnson (0-0-0) [LW 9]
Idle
Nothing to see here. In fact, the next game on the Governors' schedule isn't until the 26th, which makes me think there may be a COVID issue."

St. Paul Schools weren't allowed to start practices until late last week so their first games in any sport couldn't be earlier than Jan 26.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

HSHockeyPurist wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:27 pm "9. St. Paul Johnson (0-0-0) [LW 9]
Idle
Nothing to see here. In fact, the next game on the Governors' schedule isn't until the 26th, which makes me think there may be a COVID issue."

St. Paul Schools weren't allowed to start practices until late last week so their first games in any sport couldn't be earlier than Jan 26.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. I wasn’t aware that the district had more stringent standards. That also explains highland park having some rescheduled or canceled games.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Nice report Stang ! Top 5 are tight . Loren Nelson had East grand Forks number one and Pete Waggoner had Maht

I passed your forum post on to a Zeph parent last night, he’s sent me a note later, “incredible research”!
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:45 pm Nice report Stang ! Top 5 are tight . Loren Nelson had East grand Forks number one and Pete Waggoner had Maht

I passed your forum post on to a Zeph parent last night, he’s sent me a note later, “incredible research”!
Thanks for the props, WM. I’m glad that people enjoy the rankings. It’s funny that it happened to be a Mahtomedi parent, since I tend to rate them lower than others have over the past few years. I think the Zephyrs will be fine over the long haul, even if the record may not be pretty.

I try to watch as many Class A games and teams as possible, though sometimes one questions his life choices when watching a poor quality stream with two mediocre teams playing :lol:
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

I have a feeling we have Little Falls a little too high right now. They need to tighten up defensively for sure. They are relying on the goalie a bit too much. Scoring has not been easy either so far. We shall see when the schedule really stiffens how they respond.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Mite-dad wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43 am I have a feeling we have Little Falls a little too high right now. They need to tighten up defensively for sure. They are relying on the goalie a bit too much. Scoring has not been easy either so far. We shall see when the schedule really stiffens how they respond.
They may be true, but who gets moved up?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 am
Mite-dad wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43 am I have a feeling we have Little Falls a little too high right now. They need to tighten up defensively for sure. They are relying on the goalie a bit too much. Scoring has not been easy either so far. We shall see when the schedule really stiffens how they respond.
Exactly. I don’t believe that any of the teams I have ranked below LF are all that good. A/C hasn’t looked like anything special in the games I’ve watched; Mankato East lost to Northfield, whom Dodge County tied; Alex and Fergus could turn out to be better, but that remains to be seen; and Johnson literally hasn’t played yet.

I would also say that Little Falls is built to win low scoring games. That could come back to bite them, but it hasn’t yet. Class A just isn’t all that deep... it’s basically the top five with a bunch of teams duking it out to be the cream of that next tier.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:46 pm
elliott70 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:48 am
Exactly. I don’t believe that any of the teams I have ranked below LF are all that good. A/C hasn’t looked like anything special in the games I’ve watched; Mankato East lost to Northfield, whom Dodge County tied; Alex and Fergus could turn out to be better, but that remains to be seen; and Johnson literally hasn’t played yet.

I would also say that Little Falls is built to win low scoring games. That could come back to bite them, but it hasn’t yet. Class A just isn’t all that deep... it’s basically the top five with a bunch of teams duking it out to be the cream of that next tier.
I agree, the top 5 are solid and beyond that it drops off very quickly.