Boys State Hockey Tournament looking more likely this winter??

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Boys State Hockey Tournament looking more likely this winter??

Post by ClassAGuy »

Push builds to rethink Minnesota prep state tournaments as alternatives emerge

MSHSL director urging long-term vision for the safe return of state championships.

By Paul Klauda, Jim Paulsen and David LaVaque Star Tribune staff writers

Four weeks after the Minnesota State High School League said no to fall sports state tournaments amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Executive Director Erich Martens urged the organization’s board of directors to reconsider conducting such events from a fresh perspective.

“This is our reality. We need to start working toward how things will look next week, how they will look next year and beyond,” Martens said Wednesday during a board of directors workshop. “We should be thinking about how we’re moving forward, with more clear guidance for ourselves.”

The meeting occurred three days after a second attempt by soccer supporters to hold a state tournament, both of which failed, and two days before an independently run postseason cross-country showcase was held.

Martens emphasized the league’s mandate to provide worthwhile opportunities for student athletes. He added that board members should strongly consider new information and use it to plan through the coming weeks and beyond with decisions about postseason play for the winter and spring.

“It’s important to try to get ideas about what the state tournament proposals look like, how we want to present them and how we want them to look,” Martens said.

In an interview Monday, he added that with COVID numbers rising statewide, the league is focused for now on safely finishing the fall football and volleyball seasons, and getting winter sports started on time.

Of rethinking state tournaments, he said, “There’s a lot of work left be done.’’ A key factor will be to “increase the amount of testing for students to better provide those safe experiences at a state level,” he said.

Board member Frank White said during the workshop that the lack of state tournaments is confusing to the public, which sees opportunities available for athletes that the league has rejected.

“When the public sees that [the National Sports Center in] Blaine can have a hockey tournament with 88 teams. What they see is how can Blaine do this and the high school league isn’t keeping up,” White said. “Why can’t the league do this at Edina or whatever school. The optics to the public don’t look good.”

The high school sporting public is watching intently.

Last month a group of high school soccer coaches sought the league’s permission to hold a tournament for schools to compete beyond section championships. The request was denied, leaving 32 teams statewide to finish their season as winners instead of playing down to four champions across two classes of boys’ and girls’ teams.

A few days later, metro area students gathered outside the governor’s residence in St. Paul to hand-deliver a letter to Gov. Tim Walz, seeking to reconsider the league’s decision to not hold tournaments for fall sports and not budget for them for the winter or spring seasons as well.

Then soccer parents tried to do what coaches could not, relying on booster clubs to put a tournament together, only to have the effort fall short.

Cross-country supporters found a way to bring together top performers with private support. Backed by TC Running Company, they held showcase races for dozens of teams and about 100 individuals last weekend at the Island Pine Golf Club course in Atwater, Minn.

Meanwhile, neighboring South Dakota and North Dakota have completed state tournaments in boys’ soccer and cross-country.

South Dakota also had a girls’ soccer state tournament.

‘‘In some of these events, there were more precautions than in a normal year, but the chance for a state title was back!’’ the National Federation of High School Sports proclaimed Wednesday on its website.

Minnesota is part of the minority not offering state tournaments in football and volleyball. State championships will be held in 30 of the 35 states that played football this fall, according to the National Federation of High School Sports. Twenty-four states will have completed volleyball state tournaments in November.

This year, amid concern about virus transmission and with fan attendance restricted by COVID guidelines, the state high league dropped state tournaments from its budget, shrinking it to $5 million. To fund the budget, the league has asked its 506 member schools in September to pay up to 300% more in fees, prompting criticism from smaller schools about the high costs.

League officials have yet to spell out how winter sports postseasons will proceed. In years past the boys’ hockey, wrestling and boys’ basketball tournaments were three of the league’s four biggest moneymakers, collectively bringing in at least $1.5 million annually.

State tournaments have been the league’s financial lifeblood in recent years, providing up to 80% of its budget.

Just a few bring in more revenue than they cost to run, however, most notably boys’ hockey and football, which collectively generate about $2 million annually.

Minnesota’s challenges are mirrored nationwide. The national high school federation said its 51 member state associations, like Minnesota, ‘‘are heavily dependent on revenue from state tournaments.”

The loss of fall championship tournament revenues, on the heels of losing state basketball tournaments and spring sports, has them “facing severe financial challenges,’’ it said.

When the league, at its Oct. 1 board meeting, settled on ending fall postseason play at the section level, it nearly went a step further. A proposal was made to hold one more round of games, in which the eight section champions would square off.

Several board members spoke in favor of the plan but the discussion took a sobering turn when board member Dustin Bosshart, school principal and football coach from St. Clair, raised the financial implications. The proposal failed on a 10-8 vote.

Canceling winter state tournament would give room for outside entities to fill the void and provide a welcomed, if unofficial, season conclusion, similar to the cross-country races for two classes of boys and girls competing last Friday and Saturday.

Bosshart, who attended last week’s workshop, sits on the league’s Return to Participation task force, which meets Wednesday. He echoed Martens’ thoughts about looking at winter sports state tournament decision through a new lens.

“We know more now, but the Minnesota Department of Health hasn’t changed its guidelines and there is still no financial plan,” Bosshart said. “But we’re not just going to say no to winter tournaments just because we didn’t have them in the fall.”
elliott70

Re: Boys State Hockey Tournament looking more likely this winter??

Post by elliott70 »

Politics do not belong here.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Mr. Elliott:

I respect your dedication to the youth of MN. However, politics are apart of all school based decisions. Case in point:

USA Hockey has sanctioned play. MN Hockey has taken steps to ensure safety of officials, players, coaches, administrators and fans during this time.

MSHSL has decided that State Tournaments should not be played this fall and haven't yet sanctioned for winter and spring because of multiple communities coming to one location, yet they allow Bemidji to travel to Edina to play a last minute football game?

C’mon man. Do you not see the complete idiocracy in that decision?

The WHO has stated lockdowns are not needed. That is a science based organization making that comment/recommendation.

#LetThemPlay
Play Like a Champion Today
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

blueblood wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:59 am Mr. Elliott:

I respect your dedication to the youth of MN. However, politics are apart of all school based decisions. Case in point:

USA Hockey has sanctioned play. MN Hockey has taken steps to ensure safety of officials, players, coaches, administrators and fans during this time.

MSHSL has decided that State Tournaments should not be played this fall and haven't yet sanctioned for winter and spring because of multiple communities coming to one location, yet they allow Bemidji to travel to Edina to play a last minute football game?

The WHO has stated lockdowns are not needed. That is a science based organization making that comment/recommendation.

#LetThemPlay
Was the decision not to hold fall State tournaments for health or financial reasons? I get repeatedly confused when I read articles about this.

The inference I keep seeing is that the MSHSL is in a significant financial hole because basketball tourneys were cancelled last spring, and that meant the MSHSL didn't have the money to financially secure state tourneys this year.

The way the winter tourneys can be played is through private arrangements.

Is that wrong?
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

blueblood wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:59 am Mr. Elliott:

#LetThemPlay
Politics play a role in a lot of things.
Throwing a vote red or vote blue quote on this site is not germane to any discussion on this site.
And it is a good way to get banned and to have the topic locked up.

"USA Hockey has sanctioned play." Yes, I know and I also know it was not political for them. If you had said financial then I might agree.

"MN Hockey has taken steps to ensure safety of officials, players, coaches, administrators and fans during this time."
Yes, I l know. I have been part of that process. And, at least where I work, politics did not come into play - especially red vs blue.

The MSHSL and Bemidji AD and BOD maybe politicall But knowing the Bemidji AD and some of the BOD I believe it was more a decision of trying to get the kids on the field rather than a blue or red thing.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

Well said Elliott. =D>
What is a Green Wave anyway?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Thank you Elliott

I was hoping this article wouldn't get railroaded by political nonsense.. Wolfman and blueblood couldn't help themselves I guess.

I was just simply sharing that it looks more favorable for a winter tournament and precedent of no fall will not be there for the winter.

Thanks for those who wanted to stay on topic!

Hoping we have a state tournament!
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:21 am Politics do not belong here.
I took care of the post and the poster.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Mr. Elliott

Thanks for your response.

If it was as you say “trying to get kids on the football field,” then why not allow state tournament play?

If a football team can travel 4+ hours on short notice to play a game, why can’t the MSHSL find a way to safely administer state tournaments when they had weeks to prepare?

Who can answer this?
Play Like a Champion Today
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Not me.
You need to ask the MSHSL.
Perhaps a letter.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:05 pm Not me.
You need to ask the MSHSL.
Perhaps a letter.
=D> =D>
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I am guessing a state tournament is a bigger option now. The ExCel charges very high rent......assuming the state still limits attendance the MSHSL could put a state tournament in hockey, wrestling, and boys basketball at a smaller venue and televise it and sell advertising. Dropping the rental fee (contracts matter) at the ExCel and playing the hockey games at Aldrich could make financial sense.

I think at this point we all understand the circumstances unfold such that a certain team or individual will be sidelined due to COVID. I also think we all except that and will move forward regardless.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

goldy313 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:26 am I am guessing a state tournament is a bigger option now. The ExCel charges very high rent......assuming the state still limits attendance the MSHSL could put a state tournament in hockey, wrestling, and boys basketball at a smaller venue and televise it and sell advertising. Dropping the rental fee (contracts matter) at the ExCel and playing the hockey games at Aldrich could make financial sense.

I think at this point we all understand the circumstances unfold such that a certain team or individual will be sidelined due to COVID. I also think we all except that and will move forward regardless.
And listen to all the whining how the defending champs get to play in their home rink???

just kidding. I hope we have a tourney somewhere, anywhere. There isn't going to be much streaming this year, which is a shame for those of us out of state. But obviously they'd televise a tournament. At least I think they would...
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Yesterday, the Strib published a story on potential state tournaments (I didn't see it posted elsewhere....if it was, I apologize for the redundancy):

https://www.startribune.com/two-week-st ... 600012524/

The basics, as they pertain to hockey:

--MSHSL met on these issues Tuesday
--Both boys and girls tournaments would be at the X
--Girls Quarterfinals would be 3/26 and 27 (both classes)
--Boys Quarters would be 3/30 and 31 and televised (Tuesday & Wednesday)
--Semis in both genders would be 4/1 and 2 (Thursday $ Friday)
--All four championship games (boys and girls, AA and A) would be April 3 (Saturday)
--No consolation games would be played

Final approval could come at the MSHSL Board meeting February 4th.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Yippee!

Attendance?
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm Yippee!

Attendance?
No word in the article. I would imagine that is something that will be decided much closer to the event. The fact that they are being held in large capacity venues certainly leads to the idea that there will be.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Schotzy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:44 pm
elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 pm Yippee!

Attendance?
No word in the article. I would imagine that is something that will be decided much closer to the event. The fact that they are being held in large capacity venues certainly leads to the idea that there will be.
As of now, it would need to comply with the 150 max on spectators, now let's see where we go from here.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I heard whatever the rules are for NHL games for attendance will be used for state tourney. If the Wild in late March are allowed to have 3k fans then that will b high school maximum attendance. GB
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

GoldenBear wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm I heard whatever the rules are for NHL games for attendance will be used for state tourney. If the Wild in late March are allowed to have 3k fans then that will b high school maximum attendance. GB
It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with season ticket holders. Maybe offer "first dibs" to those who've held them the longest? Hold a lottery for all of them?
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

My opinion is if 3k ish. Then most of not all tickets go to the schools and their students. Big picture-what the students have had to deal with this past year- they deserve tickets over a 40 year season ticket holder. GB
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Include friends family for players...10 tickets a kid GB
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

GoldenBear wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:35 pm My opinion is if 3k ish. Then most of not all tickets go to the schools and their students. Big picture-what the students have had to deal with this past year- they deserve tickets over a 40 year season ticket holder. GB
=D>
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

By and large the AA public schools haven’t had in person instruction in over a year by the 2021 state hockey tournament. Why would the kids bother to show up for a quarterfinal game at 11am? Honestly, they don’t care what a privileged kid does at this point and time.

We went through this in football, if there is no school kids don’t care.

Trying hard to stay apolitical here...... if you believe Dr. Mike Osterholm, in 6 weeks the COVID-19 varient spread will be so bad November will be a good memory. Or you follow the current trend and COVID-19 will be a blip on the radar as far as current infections are.....likely we as a state take the slow approach and attendance is still really low come April. FWIW throw the Derek Chauvin trial should be coming to a verdict in that time frame. High School sports are not the state’s focus this year. Just announce now it will be in St Cloud, Duluth, or Mankato now like they did with wrestling.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

I was on the phone with the MSHSL yesterday, they will not be selling any tickets to season ticket holders this year.