covid and MH

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Re: covid and MH

Post by elliott70 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:22 pm
InYourFace09 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:34 am
Wise Old Man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:25 am

First, I didn’t realize that five paragraphs constituted a “novel”. :roll: Next, I usually reread my posts before I hit send and the last one literally took me 5 minutes to read. And no, I’m not a speed reader. So, if spending 5 minutes to read something about a controversial topic is asking so much, may I suggest you don’t really care that much in the first place. 8) Finally, last time I checked no one is making any of you read it. Talk about bunch of snowflakes. :-({|=
You must have only read one of your posts instead of all 3 in succession!

Keep bashing the same topics/points in each of your replies, it really makes people want to read each and every one!
Face...actually, yes, the 5 minutes I referenced was only in relation to the most recent post. Isn’t that how any of us should be judged from a ‘length of post’ standpoint? And yes, I am often repeating the same points on a regular basis. Gee, I wonder why... Could it be because many of the real facts regarding this virus, what the risks are and, how to minimize spread/what activities tend to increase spread, have been known for months now?

The problem is, none of those on the “it’s no big deal”/“just open it up”/“kids hardly ever have bad outcomes or die from this” side of the debate ever acknowledge or are willing/able to provide real facts from legitimate experts to support their positions/opinions. I’ve said a number of times now that, if some of those folks would even make a half-***ed effort to attempt to defend their positions with links to articles from actual legitimate experts on the virus that supports their positions, I’d probably back off on my pushing back against them.

And again, no one is forcing you to read my posts. Is ignoring/passing by them that difficult?
Actually, it’s quite easy.
Just did it. Took less than five minutes.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:22 pm The problem is, none of those on the “it’s no big deal”/“just open it up”/“kids hardly ever have bad outcomes or die from this” side of the debate ever acknowledge or are willing/able to provide real facts from legitimate experts to support their positions/opinions. I’ve said a number of times now that, if some of those folks would even make a half-***ed effort to attempt to defend their positions with links to articles from actual legitimate experts on the virus that supports their positions, I’d probably back off on my pushing back against them.
I don't know why I'm engaging... WOM, this is typical burden of proof fallacy. Your argument cannot simply be "point me to an article or evidence that proves my theory wrong." I assume I am relatively safe to fill my car up with gas during a pandemic, but I've never read an article that explicitly says it's safe to fill up my car. No one is saying hockey is 100% safe to play during COVID-19. But we also have never seen an article or a study that shows spread of COVID-19 while playing hockey is any more dangerous than, say, shopping at the grocery store, congregating at a church, getting a haircut, etc.

The burden of proof is on those (government or Governor) that enact restrictions to provide evidence that there is sound science and/or data backing the restriction. So far, we have not seen that.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Eagles93 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm
Wise Old Man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:22 pm The problem is, none of those on the “it’s no big deal”/“just open it up”/“kids hardly ever have bad outcomes or die from this” side of the debate ever acknowledge or are willing/able to provide real facts from legitimate experts to support their positions/opinions. I’ve said a number of times now that, if some of those folks would even make a half-***ed effort to attempt to defend their positions with links to articles from actual legitimate experts on the virus that supports their positions, I’d probably back off on my pushing back against them.
I don't know why I'm engaging... WOM, this is typical burden of proof fallacy. Your argument cannot simply be "point me to an article or evidence that proves my theory wrong." I assume I am relatively safe to fill my car up with gas during a pandemic, but I've never read an article that explicitly says it's safe to fill up my car. No one is saying hockey is 100% safe to play during COVID-19. But we also have never seen an article or a study that shows spread of COVID-19 while playing hockey is any more dangerous than, say, shopping at the grocery store, congregating at a church, getting a haircut, etc.

The burden of proof is on those (government or Governor) that enact restrictions to provide evidence that there is sound science and/or data backing the restriction. So far, we have not seen that.
Fair point Eagles...my response is — and maybe you haven’t taken the time to read through all of them but — I have actually provided links to at least 10 different articles in the last week or so (previous page of this thread I believe) that show that playing hockey actually does have a measurably greater incidence of spread compared to any other indoor sports. Even the MDH (as of last Wednesday’s announcement) states they’ve had more outbreaks associated with hockey than any other sport.

New Hampshire and Massachusetts have already shut down just youth and high school hockey for two week periods (and maybe longer) in the last month. Alaska also paused all youth and high school hockey for a spell. Look at Canada, their provincial health ministers are shutting down all hockey in the majority of areas right now. So yes, there is sound evidence that playing hockey unmasked, where players are sitting on a bench between shifts shoulder to shoulder and breathing heavily from their previous shift which, in turn allows an asymptomatic kid or kids to exhale a significant amount of virus — which is aerosolized and thus hangs in the air in the immediate vicinity for possibly the entire game — is more risky than going to the grocery store or Target or Home Depot where almost 98% of those (in this state at least) are wearing masks. That’s the main point of my previous response. I actually do provide the proof you suggest I might not be.

My suspicion is — and I’m not saying you specifically are part of this group but — because most people have already dug themselves deeply in to whichever side they’re on, they don’t actually read the articles/studies I provide. Partly because that might — heavy emphasis on might — force them to actually question their current world view/bubble (now, often politically driven) and maybe — just maybe — force them to consider the possibility that their original opinion wasn’t accurate. Just a thought. 😎
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

The only burden the Governor really needs to meet is: does this restriction inure to the health, safety and welfare of Minnesotans? If so, he can do it.

In this instance, the problem is looking at hospital capacity and sick hospital / health care workers. Look to Arizona. They have enough hospital beds. They don't have enough workers. Now what? Let er rip?

Listen. We all like youth sports. We all want the kids to play. They will be back playing in 3 weeks. Stop arguing and enjoy your turkey tomorrow!!
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

Wise Old Man wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:25 am

First, I didn’t realize that five paragraphs constituted a “novel”. :roll: Next, I usually reread my posts before I hit send and the last one literally took me 5 minutes to read. And no, I’m not a speed reader. So, if spending 5 minutes to read something about a controversial topic is asking so much, may I suggest you don’t really care that much in the first place. 8) Finally, last time I checked no one is making any of you read it. Talk about bunch of snowflakes. :-({|=

Keep bashing the same topics/points in each of your replies, it really makes people want to read each and every one!
Face...actually, yes, the 5 minutes I referenced was only in relation to the most recent post. Isn’t that how any of us should be judged from a ‘length of post’ standpoint? And yes, I am often repeating the same points on a regular basis. Gee, I wonder why... Could it be because many of the real facts regarding this virus, what the risks are and, how to minimize spread/what activities tend to increase spread, have been known for months now?

The problem is, none of those on the “it’s no big deal”/“just open it up”/“kids hardly ever have bad outcomes or die from this” side of the debate ever acknowledge or are willing/able to provide real facts from legitimate experts to support their positions/opinions. I’ve said a number of times now that, if some of those folks would even make a half-***ed effort to attempt to defend their positions with links to articles from actual legitimate experts on the virus that supports their positions, I’d probably back off on my pushing back against them.

And again, no one is forcing you to read my posts. Is ignoring/passing by them that difficult?
WOM no response to my comment? What are your thoughts on schools? We have schools across the country going to distance learning against the recommendation of the Director of the CDC and all of the data, studies, and other scientific info that back that recommendation. Should they reconsider? Are they blatantly disregarding science? I posted information from a legitimate expert and I expect a response.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

WOM - my point was that we can't point you to a study or data that says hockey is safe during a pandemic. No study has been conducted. So instead, I ask for decisions to be made based on relative danger compared to other activities in society. And certainly relative to the dangers that a shut-down poses.

And to answer your question, I haven't taken a "side" on the pandemic. Of course it's a huge problem. It's incredibly tragic. It's not black and white, however. It's not either a) meh, it's just a flu or b) we all need to spend a year in the basement. If leadership had educated people better, then people would have taken it far more serious and taken more precautions so that we can live our lives somewhat "normal" during the pandemic. Instead kids are now paying the price by not being able to play the game they love due to a knee-jerk reaction.
jg2112 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:53 pm The only burden the Governor really needs to meet is: does this restriction inure to the health, safety and welfare of Minnesotans? If so, he can do it.

Listen. We all like youth sports. We all want the kids to play. They will be back playing in 3 weeks. Stop arguing and enjoy your turkey tomorrow!!
You're right, the Governor needs very little reason to use emergency powers. That's what worries me about your next comment... I don't think they'll be playing in 3 weeks. I truly hope I'm wrong but if ALL sports were shut down with limited data behind the decision, what's going to change on December 19? We're not going to see a miraculous drop in cases and deaths in 3 weeks so I fear we will get another 4-week shut down that goes to mid-January. And after that...? I don't necessarily have a problem with the current pause, I have a problem losing the entire hockey season.

(And what about other sports? What about health clubs? Why the broad stroke?)
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:53 pm

The only burden the Governor really needs to meet is: does this restriction inure to the health, safety and welfare of Minnesotans? If so, he can do it.

In this instance, the problem is looking at hospital capacity and sick hospital / health care workers. Look to Arizona. They have enough hospital beds. They don't have enough workers. Now what? Let er rip?

I hope I am wrong on this, but I do not see how the pause ends on 12/18.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Fightinghawklover wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:48 pm

Nor do I. I expect another case surge after Thanksgiving with deaths surging (again) just before Christmas. It looks bleak.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

east hockey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Nor do I. I expect another case surge after Thanksgiving with deaths surging (again) just before Christmas. It looks bleak.

Lee
If it is true that we're going to start seeing a vaccine on December 11 (what the CDC stated this week), that means health care workers will begin to receive it around that time.

On the one hand, I don't think it'll be hard for the Governor to extend the current sports shutdown to the end of the year. I do fear that's coming. On the other hand, that extension of time will allow the aforementioned health care workers to receive the vaccine and ensure staffing at hospitals for those that need treatment. Combine that with vaccinations for the general population starting in January, and I think we begin to see the end of this. A season from January 1 - March 20 isn't the greatest, but that's the typical length of some spring seasons for sports, and it's better than nothing.
Fightinghawklover

Post by Fightinghawklover »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:21 pm
east hockey wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:00 pm

Lee
If it is true that we're going to start seeing a vaccine on December 11 (what the CDC stated this week), that means health care workers will begin to receive it around that time.

On the one hand, I don't think it'll be hard for the Governor to extend the current sports shutdown to the end of the year. I do fear that's coming. On the other hand, that extension of time will allow the aforementioned health care workers to receive the vaccine and ensure staffing at hospitals for those that need treatment. Combine that with vaccinations for the general population starting in January, and I think we begin to see the end of this. A season from January 1 - March 20 isn't the greatest, but that's the typical length of some spring seasons for sports, and it's better than nothing.
2112. I hope your aggressive time line on the vaccine holds true. I just know with many years of experience relying on our government to get anything done quickly/efficiently rarely happens. I agree that a short season is better than nothing at all. I haven't heard much from the HS side on what the plan is IF the players are able to start back skating after 12/18. I've heard MN Hockey is talking about extending the season into April with the various state tournaments being played on the weekend after Easter 4/9-4/11 and the regional tournaments being held the weekend before Easter. It will be interesting to say the least. Stay healthy everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!!
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:59 pm

WOM no response to my comment? What are your thoughts on schools? We have schools across the country going to distance learning against the recommendation of the Director of the CDC and all of the data, studies, and other scientific info that back that recommendation. Should they reconsider? Are they blatantly disregarding science? I posted information from a legitimate expert and I expect a response.
7Times...my apologies as I didn't realize your point about schools was necessarily directed at me. I acknowledge (and accept as true) that the latest information indicates that transmission between kids being exposed to each other in school is much lower than normal community transmission. Especially if proper mitigation measures are being followed. However, my understanding is that the decision on whether or not to keep schools open is based more on what the degree of general community spread is. So, I don't believe school administrators are blatantly disregarding the science. In fact, the other larger issue is lack of teachers and, even more importantly, qualified substitutes. As I'm sure you're aware, many of the subs are retired teachers and, many (if not most) are unwilling to expose themselves. Combine that with the number of teachers who have been exposed/had to quarantine, and it's getting difficult to staff schools even if they wanted to do in-person learning.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Eagles93 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:50 pm WOM - my point was that we can't point you to a study or data that says hockey is safe during a pandemic. No study has been conducted. So instead, I ask for decisions to be made based on relative danger compared to other activities in society. And certainly relative to the dangers that a shut-down poses.

And to answer your question, I haven't taken a "side" on the pandemic. Of course it's a huge problem. It's incredibly tragic. It's not black and white, however. It's not either a) meh, it's just a flu or b) we all need to spend a year in the basement. If leadership had educated people better, then people would have taken it far more serious and taken more precautions so that we can live our lives somewhat "normal" during the pandemic. Instead kids are now paying the price by not being able to play the game they love due to a knee-jerk reaction.
jg2112 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:53 pm The only burden the Governor really needs to meet is: does this restriction inure to the health, safety and welfare of Minnesotans? If so, he can do it.

You're right, the Governor needs very little reason to use emergency powers. That's what worries me about your next comment... I don't think they'll be playing in 3 weeks. I truly hope I'm wrong but if ALL sports were shut down with limited data behind the decision, what's going to change on December 19? We're not going to see a miraculous drop in cases and deaths in 3 weeks so I fear we will get another 4-week shut down that goes to mid-January. And after that...? I don't necessarily have a problem with the current pause, I have a problem losing the entire hockey season.

(And what about other sports? What about health clubs? Why the broad stroke?)
Eagles...another very good point regarding the fact that there haven't actually been any real studies conducted on the possible differences in transmissibility of various sports. However, the links to the articles I posted show that hockey is now seen as one of, if not the most challenging of the indoor sports to play, simply based on how many cases seem to be attributable to hockey specific activity through contact tracing efforts. And, your statement about how we as a society or, even parents, weigh the risk assessment equation when choosing whether or not our kids should continue to play is extremely important. Obviously, we as parents have to determine whether or not the risk is
"worth it" anytime our kids ask to play a sport or participate in certain activities. Especially in regards to contact sports.

Still, the challenge in this specific situation, with these specific circumstances is; even though we may determine the "risk" is "worth it" for our own kids to play, don't all of us as members of a collective society have an even larger obligation to consider the potential bigger picture health risks which others in our society who don't play sports -- the elderly/those having pre-existing conditions -- may incur if we (including the state or local governing body of the sport, and/or the state or local govt.) allow our kids to continue playing? Obviously, that's a much more challenging question with answers that may be very nuanced. However, those very difficult decisions are why we elect leaders to represent us. Whether that's at the local association level, the state governing body level, or even regarding state and local elected officials.

To the group...I've never met Tim Walz but, based on listening to him describe the process by which he has come to the decisions he's made during this crisis from a public health perspective, the very least I can say is he seems to be genuine in his rationale. And, I find him believable when he says he's simply following the advice of the public health experts available to him. Has he been perfect? Far from it. However, I think it's only fair to mention that not a single governor has been perfect. And, considering it's been over 100 years since the last pandemic, it's pretty damn unrealistic for any of us to expect anything close to perfection.

As he has also stated, he has his own passion for sports, has coached for many years, and one of his own kids is now unable to compete as well. Thus, I find it hard to believe he chose to pause all youth and high school sports on a whim. I'm sure the same can be said of having to limit or close restaurants and bars and health clubs. Do any of us really think he wants to do something he knows will negatively impact the lives of the owners and employees in that way?!? C'mon...what governor would WANT to do that? Especially when the "trickle down" effect is less state tax revenues when we need those the most. "Wanting" to do that flies in the face of basic logic.

Eagles...not saying you are saying this but, numerous others have, both yesterday and for the last few months, continued to point to the fact -- and it is a fact -- that kids and young adults rarely have significant illness or die from the virus as a significant discussion/debate point as to why we should keep playing (not just hockey but all sports) versus pause. Yet never acknowledging or addressing the fact -- and this is a fact as well -- that doctors have found/are finding numerous examples of kids and young adults who, post-Covid infection, are being diagnosed with varying levels of myocarditis and lung scarring. Both of which can have significant, long-term health impacts, especially on those who are athletes. Many of whom were either mildly symptomatic or asymptomatic. Although, for some of those diagnosed, it may not significantly affect them until they're in their 40s, 50s, or 60s. It's why the Big10's post-infection return to play policy takes 21 days. Every athlete is required to have a cardiac MRI to rule out possible myocarditis, as well as having lung imaging done.

Eagles...I am glad you haven't "chosen a side" and, the fact you acknowledge our general leadership has prevented us as a country from truly dealing with this crisis the way South Korea, Australia, and others have, leads me to believe you and I would have far more common ground on this than not. Still, you and I do disagree that the decision to pause was made with "limited data". Both Walz and his health director specifically pointed to their data regarding modes of community spread as the rationale for the decision to pause the activities/close the types of businesses they did. Unfortunately, I agree with both you and Lee in that this will be extended by at least two more weeks and possibly four. Both because hospitalizations lag infections by 2-3 weeks which means peak hospitalizations won't occur until right around December 19th, and...as Lee pointed out, we are likely to see another mini-surge off of Thanksgiving get-togethers. Which, won't show up as hospitalizations until Christmas or New Years.

The one specific area I will criticize Walz on is the pause on being able to practice or play outdoors as a team. The science clearly indicates that activities performed outdoors are far less likely to cause spread than those done indoors. Now, my guess is they were worried about warming shacks not being monitored properly from a masking/social distancing standpoint. Especially considering how small most of those are. Still, the fact that Walz has paused that activity as well, will probably cause most municipalities to choose not to even attempt to make ice at all until the pause is lifted. Eagles, good back and forth. Much respect to you and to all of you -- even those that think I'm a pain in the *** -- please have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving tomorrow.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Article today by LPH

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_arti ... -the-pause

Parent : how do you explain to 12 year old you can Black Friday shop all day at MOA but can’t go to hockey practice ?
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:51 pm Article today by LPH

Parent : how do you explain to 12 year old you can Black Friday shop all day at MOA but can’t go to hockey practice ?
West...solid read. Glad they at least attempted show there is support for the “support a pause” side of the conversation. I have zero specific evidence other than just talking to people but, I’m confident the percentage of hockey people who support/understand the pause is much higher than being shown or given credit for.

Unfortunately, the average person who is upset about the pause, tends to be far more vocal on social media, along with being more comfortable being confrontational to those who support a pause within their local hockey contact groups.

As for the mom who was quoted as asking how to explain to her 12 yr old why he/she couldn’t play but, thousands of people can Black Friday shop at MOA...ummm, the vast majority of spread at hockey arenas is due to activity during practice and games — especially in games when kids are shoulder to shoulder on the bench between shifts — when the kids aren’t wearing masks. Compare that to the likelihood that literally 98 plus percent of people in MOA ARE wearing masks. My wife and I had to explain this to our 12 and 15 year olds and our 12 yr old understood completely. Don’t get me wrong, neither of them is happy about it. But, they accept it and understand why it’s necessary.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

Mandatory bubble mask with Bauer insert (or other similar brand) and 11 person rosters. I have seen smaller communities play with rosters like this for years (as a bonus nobody complains about ice time). 5 people on the bench at a time should provide adequate spacing and the face shields should have similar effectiveness as cloth masks. Problem solved.

https://www.bauer.com/en-US/medical-fac ... PE#start=1
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Kids play organized sports almost 52 weeks a year, and we're worried a four week pause is going to affect their physical and mental health? That's not worth responding to. If anything, kids are over-programmed in the modern world.

I'll listen when these same parents file lawsuits (like the #letthemplay folks) due to the academic backslide their kids might be currently sustaining due to staying at home.

We're all in the same boat! Or at least I thought we were. Can't we just pretend to think about the people who need our help right now? The kids will be just fine.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Wise Old Man wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:22 pm

West...solid read. Glad they at least attempted show there is support for the “support a pause” side of the conversation. I have zero specific evidence other than just talking to people but, I’m confident the percentage of hockey people who support/understand the pause is much higher than being shown or given credit for.

Unfortunately, the average person who is upset about the pause, tends to be far more vocal on social media, along with being more comfortable being confrontational to those who support a pause within their local hockey contact groups.

As for the mom who was quoted as asking how to explain to her 12 yr old why he/she couldn’t play but, thousands of people can Black Friday shop at MOA...ummm, the vast majority of spread at hockey arenas is due to activity during practice and games — especially in games when kids are shoulder to shoulder on the bench between shifts — when the kids aren’t wearing masks. Compare that to the likelihood that literally 98 plus percent of people in MOA ARE wearing masks. My wife and I had to explain this to our 12 and 15 year olds and our 12 yr old understood completely. Don’t get me wrong, neither of them is happy about it. But, they accept it and understand why it’s necessary.
I gotta agree with WOM here the article was a bit over the top...

My favorite was the dad saying his SIX YEAR OLD who PLAYS IN TWO MITE LEAGUES is crushed yikes. Glad for that reason only we are on pause give the young hockey player a little break.... A prime example of a Parent over doing it.

Overall this stinks but again it's here and happening let's do what we can to hopefully slow down the spread during this time so kids can play in 4 weeks I am doubtful after seeing lots of people not follow-through on many protocols over my Holiday Day off yesterday.

Just hoping to watch hockey soon I think we are looking more at Jan 4th for MSHSL Start and one can only hope!

Not here to debate the COVID because my word reading this forum either you are one side or the other and no one is budging.

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving and Lets hope for Hockey in 2021!
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

jg2112 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:58 pm Kids play organized sports almost 52 weeks a year, and we're worried a four week pause is going to affect their physical and mental health? That's not worth responding to. If anything, kids are over-programmed in the modern world.

I'll listen when these same parents file lawsuits (like the #letthemplay folks) due to the academic backslide their kids might be currently sustaining due to staying at home.

We're all in the same boat! Or at least I thought we were. Can't we just pretend to think about the people who need our help right now? The kids will be just fine.
JG/WOM

- We had a 3 + month pause already , now 1 month pause , almost guaranteed to be a following month pause , that’s 5 months out of 10 months from mid March to mid January , and possibility more after that

I guess what upsets a lot of people is we don’t seem to see a level of public discussion in depth at the governor press conference or anywhere else about what definitive 10 points steps they are taking to prevent more nursing home deaths, where 70% of the daily deaths are actually occurring.

I have offered a few definitive steps earlier in this thread and a few more below that I am highly confident from a common sense viewpoint would be effective . Are these already in place ? Being considered ? If not , what other steps, since we are failing right now.

—— test all employees every day, those are top priority for labs
—— large 100% monthly bonus for a full month of negative test
——bring in Nat guard to supplement , under orders not to leave their away from home quarters after their shift
——test any potential new resident for 14 days before admitting
——test any visitor with rapid test
——Covid positive resident should live in separate LTC facility , staff should not comingle between
——etc
spamtownusa

Post by spamtownusa »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:51 pm

This statement is just not true. I can tell you that the vast majority of issues experienced in our association surrounded off the ice interactions and socializing between players/coaches/parents/classmates/etc. And, most were exposure quarantines that didn’t lead to positive tests. We’ve seen next to no cases of COVID spread linked to on the ice/bench interaction. From the article, it sounds CCHA has experienced the same. Can it happen, of course it can. But, I’ve yet to see any study confirming any sort of higher risk through this activity.

We’re in a pause... that’s fine. I just hope that the State’s leadership will implement a real strategy to address capacity and to protect those that need it. WestMetro has a plan... does the Governor? The lazy, broad-brush shut down approach is not the best answer.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:41 pm Mandatory bubble mask with Bauer insert (or other similar brand) and 11 person rosters. I have seen smaller communities play with rosters like this for years (as a bonus nobody complains about ice time). 5 people on the bench at a time should provide adequate spacing and the face shields should have similar effectiveness as cloth masks. Problem solved.

https://www.bauer.com/en-US/medical-fac ... PE#start=1
7Times... Your points make complete sense. However, I suspect the average state governing body of any sport will be uncomfortable mandating that type of equipment purchase. Could they say that you can’t play without it? I suppose. As for smaller teams...sure, if we had done that at the beginning that would’ve been something to try. Unfortunately, now we’re at the halfway point by the time we might restart so, difficult to shrink teams when you already have 14-16 skater A and AA teams. I think we might have even bigger parental issues if we dropped 3-5 players off of those teams. Finally, if we did do that now, you be creating more teams in your association and we’d then have to find even more coaches. Still, agree with your points
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

ClassAGuy wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:36 pm

I gotta agree with WOM here the article was a bit over the top...

My favorite was the dad saying his SIX YEAR OLD who PLAYS IN TWO MITE LEAGUES is crushed yikes. Glad for that reason only we are on pause give the young hockey player a little break.... A prime example of a Parent over doing it.

Overall this stinks but again it's here and happening let's do what we can to hopefully slow down the spread during this time so kids can play in 4 weeks I am doubtful after seeing lots of people not follow-through on many protocols over my Holiday Day off yesterday.

Just hoping to watch hockey soon I think we are looking more at Jan 4th for MSHSL Start and one can only hope!

Not here to debate the COVID because my word reading this forum either you are one side or the other and no one is budging.

Hope all had a good Thanksgiving and Lets hope for Hockey in 2021!

ClassA....yeah, that comment from that Mite parent jumped out at me too! Thought the exact same thing you did. 😁. Also agree with jg about his point regarding the lawsuits. I’m way more concerned about our kids not being in school than I am about them missing 4-8 weeks of hockey during the actual season. Funny how the first thing they sue over is sports and not actual education. 🙄
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm
jg2112 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:58 pm Kids play organized sports almost 52 weeks a year, and we're worried a four week pause is going to affect their physical and mental health? That's not worth responding to. If anything, kids are over-programmed in the modern world.

JG/WOM

- We had a 3 + month pause already , now 1 month pause , almost guaranteed to be a following month pause , that’s 5 months out of 10 months from mid March to mid January , and possibility more after that

I guess what upsets a lot of people is we don’t seem to see a level of public discussion in depth at the governor press conference or anywhere else about what definitive 10 points steps they are taking to prevent more nursing home deaths, where 70% of the daily deaths are actually occurring.

I have offered a few definitive steps earlier in this thread and a few more below that I am highly confident from a common sense viewpoint would be effective . Are these already in place ? Being considered ? If not , what other steps, since we are failing right now.

——bring in Nat guard to supplement , under orders not to leave their away from home quarters after their shift
——Covid positive resident should live in separate LTC facility , staff should not comingle between
——etc

Westy... I agree completely with your points about needing more detail on how they’re choosing to handle LTC facilities. And, your ideas to improve that situation are really good.

However, I partially disagree regarding your point about the first 3 months kids supposedly missed. High school tourney had finished and all that was left for youth were the state tournaments. And, although yes there are a percentage of kids that participate in off-season AAA hockey, the vast majority do not. Therefore, I don’t think we can really count those first three months. As I stated previously, I agree it’s likely to go longer than Dec. 19. Probably thru Jan. 1 and possibly even a couple weeks further. Still, almost every U.S. hockey playing state, along with almost all of Canadian hockey — including Major Junior — are paused or drastically reduced.

This brings me to spam’s point/pushback on player to player spread. Spam...first, I agree there hasn’t been any type of “official”, double-blind study on player to player spread at the rink. However, if you haven’t already, you really need to read all of the articles I linked. At least three other states have paused youth and high school hockey for at least two weeks, along with almost every province in Canada. That’s an awful lot of health experts saying that player to player transmission is significant.

Spam...so you’re telling me ALL of those health experts that determined that player to player spread IS a significant issue are wrong? You do realize that contact tracing can be very effective in determining where and from who someone likely caught it from, right? But that’s only IF parents are actually doing the right things and responding to contact tracers. One of the articles about Massachusetts’ pause specifically mentioned how often the various associations and teams wouldn’t provide required information to allow for quality contact tracing to the state when requested. Meaning, a lot of parents are either not answering the phone when called by contact tracers, or parents aren’t quarantining their players when they meet the definition of close contact with someone who had tested positive, or got their player tested if they were maybe only mildly symptomatic as required.

As jg stated, the MDH has said there have been more Covid related outbreaks with hockey than any other sport. Please explain to us what their motivations would be for “making that up” or even just “fudging the numbers” a bit. These are life-long public servants. Their motivation is completely about maximizing public safety. That’s why they are in those positions. And, I suspect many either have kids in sports or, did at one point so, they understand the physical and mental health benefits of being able to participate.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:48 pm
WestMetro wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 pm

JG/WOM

——etc

Westy... I agree completely with your points about needing more detail on how they’re choosing to handle LTC facilities. And, your ideas to improve that situation are really good.

However, I partially disagree regarding your point about the first 3 months kids supposedly missed. High school tourney had finished and all that was left for youth were the state tournaments. And, although yes there are a percentage of kids that participate in off-season AAA hockey, the vast majority do not. Therefore, I don’t think we can really count those first three months. As I stated previously, I agree it’s likely to go longer than Dec. 19. Probably thru Jan. 1 and possibly even a couple weeks further. Still, almost every U.S. hockey playing state, along with almost all of Canadian hockey — including Major Junior — are paused or drastically reduced.

This brings me to spam’s point/pushback on player to player spread. Spam...first, I agree there hasn’t been any type of “official”, double-blind study on player to player spread at the rink. However, if you haven’t already, you really need to read all of the articles I linked. At least three other states have paused youth and high school hockey for at least two weeks, along with almost every province in Canada. That’s an awful lot of health experts saying that player to player transmission is significant.

Spam...so you’re telling me ALL of those health experts that determined that player to player spread IS a significant issue are wrong? You do realize that contact tracing can be very effective in determining where and from who someone likely caught it from, right? But that’s only IF parents are actually doing the right things and responding to contact tracers. One of the articles about Massachusetts’ pause specifically mentioned how often the various associations and teams wouldn’t provide required information to allow for quality contact tracing to the state when requested. Meaning, a lot of parents are either not answering the phone when called by contact tracers, or parents aren’t quarantining their players when they meet the definition of close contact with someone who had tested positive, or got their player tested if they were maybe only mildly symptomatic as required.

As jg stated, the MDH has said there have been more Covid related outbreaks with hockey than any other sport. Please explain to us what their motivations would be for “making that up” or even just “fudging the numbers” a bit. These are life-long public servants. Their motivation is completely about maximizing public safety. That’s why they are in those positions. And, I suspect many either have kids in sports or, did at one point so, they understand the physical and mental health benefits of being able to participate.
Per registered athlete, youth hockey had the least of the major sports in Minnesota. And don’t say it was because they weren’t in season.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Wise

Many points we find ourselves in agreement again , and always respect your opinions where different

Lots kids also lost a lot of ice time April-June ( and now ) , with private clinic operators/leagues also , in addition to MH Elite program and AAA

I agree with you , again partially based on the West Metro common sense scientific principle, that young player to player on bench and on ice transmission can and has occurred, just don’t think it’s enough or with such severe result to justify shutdown , in light of the significant negative effects of shutdown on the kids IMHO . I do agree with MH efforts to redouble protocol enforcement , incl make sure all locker rooms doors are locked .

We just get tired of Gov , MDH talking about youth sports , bars , restaurants, gyms for 90% of press conference or print media , then maybe one question or sentence on LTC . And no discussion of discretionary trips to MOA or freeway protests , where there amazingly never seems to be a single outbreak of Covid worth discussing at any of them

If they focused on LTC some more, and we saw some success , maybe we could all buy in more to societal shutdowns . But if LTC keep dying at 50+ a day anyway , it makes it harder.
spamtownusa

Post by spamtownusa »

WOM... I actually doubt that we’re too far apart in our thinking regarding the actual virus, but I we’ll have to agree to disagree on the guidance/actions taken by our State government. You never acknowledge the capacity issue?

I did read the articles that you posted and most of them specifically point to off-ice factors... not on-ice. I agree with that. And, the “experts” include a county commissioner, state level politicians and some government health officials (from Vermont and Ontario???). Umm... you might want to upgrade your expert pool. Blindly assuming that actions taken by politicians must be “correct” because they’re public servants is a very naive view and weak argument. No matter what side of the isle you’re on.

At the end of the day, the vaccine is what we need to pull us out of this pandemic. Everything else is just there to slow things down. We’re getting close!