covid and MH

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

jg2112

Re: covid and MH

Post by jg2112 »

That's a well-written essay.

I wish we'd all realize there is no right or wrong here. This is hard. It's mentally draining. The election made it political, which is just depressing. We all want to do the things written in that essay with regards to life events. The problem is those life events are leading to a pretty consistent death toll across this country, with an economic drag that continues on. And.....you don't get an emotional response from stopping virus spread, because you're just living your life. It's similar to taking your daily multi-vitamin. You're never going to know it's truly helping.

Can we all take a break from arguing this? We all want the same things - life to return to normal, to drink low-quality beer with our friends and families, Hill-Murray to lose at State, and Hermantown to move up to AA.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:49 am Can we all take a break from arguing this? We all want the same things - life to return to normal, to drink low-quality beer with our friends and families, Hill-Murray to lose at State, and Hermantown to move up to AA.
Yup
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Schotzy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:58 am
jg2112 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:49 am Can we all take a break from arguing this? We all want the same things - life to return to normal, to drink low-quality beer with our friends and families, Hill-Murray to lose at State, and Hermantown to move up to AA.
Yup
I want to drink expensive champagne with people I just met. I would like Hill to win. I don’t care what Hermantown does.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

"We killed our elderly by secluding them"

The same people who say this also say "let us live our lives and we'll just have to protect the elderly since it affects that age group at an exponentially higher rate". I'm sorry, you can't have it both ways.

My neighbor who works in communications for the Governor believes based on what they're hearing that as soon as the election is over that we'll be going back into a lockdown if cases continue to rise like they have been over the last 2-3 weeks. I very sincerely hope that person is wrong as I have two boys playing hockey. If that does happen, you can kiss the high school hockey season goodbye if that is the case...and it will be our own damn fault.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

thefatcat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:28 pm "We killed our elderly by secluding them"

The same people who say this also say "let us live our lives and we'll just have to protect the elderly since it affects that age group at an exponentially higher rate". I'm sorry, you can't have it both ways.

My neighbor who works in communications for the Governor believes based on what they're hearing that as soon as the election is over that we'll be going back into a lockdown if cases continue to rise like they have been over the last 2-3 weeks. I very sincerely hope that person is wrong as I have two boys playing hockey. If that does happen, you can kiss the high school hockey season goodbye if that is the case...and it will be our own damn fault.
I hope your neighbor is wrong as well. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens. Oh, and Hermantown definitely needs to go AA and, dammit Elliott, it needs to be a priority with you too. :mrgreen:
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

thefatcat wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:28 pm "We killed our elderly by secluding them"

Yeah. If Dakota, Hennepin and Ramsey County both follow MDH guidance and infection rates continue to increase at their current pace, their middle and high schools will all be distance learning by November 9. Stearns will be there next week at this pace.

I hope we all do better, this is not good at all.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Updated data.
Hate to put the told you so out there about I told you so, schools going online and sports are in trouble!

This is K through 12 buildings.
Number of buildings reporting cases MMWR Weeks 41 & 42
1 case
2-4 cases
>5 cases
Total
ƒ A list of School buildings listed below reported 5 or more cases of COVID-19 in students or staff who were in the building while infectious during a two-week reporting period by county is avaialable in the

We are all heading to online schooling if people don’t wake up. Sports will be stopped.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

School buildings listed below reported 5 or more confirmed cases of COVID-19 in students or staff who were in the building while infectious during a two-week reporting period.

This list is updated weekly on Thursdays.

County School, City
Anoka Blaine High School, Blaine
Becker Roosevelt Elementary, Detroit Lakes
Blue Earth Loyola Catholic School, Mankato
Carver Chanhassen High School, Chanhassen
Cass Pillager Senior High School, Pillager
Chisago Chisago Lakes Senior High, Lindstrom
Chisago North Branch Area Education Center, North Branch
Clay Barnesville Secondary, Barnesville
Clay Horizon Middle School, Moorhead
Crow Wing Brainerd Senior High School, Brainerd
Dodge Hayfield Secondary, Hayfield
Faribault Blue Earth Area Secondary, Blue Earth
Freeborn Albert Lea Senior High School, Albert Lea
Hennepin Maple Grove Senior High, Maple Grove
Hennepin Park Center IB World School, Brooklyn Park
Hennepin Providence Academy, Plymouth
Isanti Isanti Middle School, Isanti
Itasca Grand Rapids Senior High, Grand Rapids
Kandiyohi Roosevelt Elementary, Willmar
Kandiyohi Willmar Senior High, Willmar
Lyon West Side Elementary, Marshall
Martin Fairmont Jr./Sr. High School, Fairmont
Martin Martin Luther High School, Northrop
Martin St. Paul Lutheran School , Fairmont
Mille Lacs Princeton High School, Princeton
Otter Tail Parkers Prairie Secondary, Parkers Prairie
Pine Hinckley Elementary, Hinckley
Saint Louis Mountain Iron-Buhl Secondary, Mountain Iron
Stearns Albany Area High School, Albany
Stearns Melrose Secondary, Melrose
Stearns Rocori Senior High, Cold Spring
Washington Forest Lake Area High School, Forest Lake
Wilkin Breckenridge Senior High, Breckenridge

List getting pretty long. I remember someone saying it’s not bad we only have two school districts with 5 or more cases. How’s it looking now?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

MWS coach wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:11 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:16 pm
Schotzy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:55 am

Another great write up on the topic. Common sense, and good use of reason. A great way to tick everyone off these days.
Those who wear masks and those who don’t can’t always be separated. If a sports kid taking a bunch of risk and occasionally takes other risks with big gatherings. Sits next to a kid in school who follows all the rules and takes few risks. How do you separate those? Like I have said the high risk sports kids (called high risk by MDH). Should have a “pod” for their school and stay out of public schools. Let a coach or other parent teach the “pod”. The kids not taking the high risks can stay in school.

Keep the kids not taking risk in the school and then high risk takers can do whatever they want and won’t effect the kids who are thinking!

Article backs up MY “pod” idea.
Hunter,

Instead of trying to get others to see your side, why don't you take action and create a bubble for those that don't want to be exposed to "high risk" students? I'm not just talking about hockey players, but all those kids out there that take many many additional risks, yes including but not limited to sports and extra curricular activities. I am saying this as you may find others such as yourself including educators who may embrace the idea. Everyone commits to a set of rules to provide additional protections, teachers included. I know several educators who would likely be very willing to be a part of such community. No teachers going to bars, restaurants or family gatherings. Students committing to not taking additional risk, stay at home and go to school. No sports, no extra curricular activities, no hanging out with friends at the skate park, spirt mountain, or whatever. Think about it that is really likely the best way if you want to take extra precaution in preventing your child from getting effected instead of thinking others will just follow your lead. You always talk about hockey like it is the mass spreader, while I know and understand, yes hockey players will be infected with the virus, but you also need to understand hockey (or any other sport for that matter) is far from the the only way the virus is contracted and spread in schools. There are so many other high risk activities kids are doing these days that by creating a bubble for hockey you have only mitigated a little bit of the risk. #keeptheminabubble=keepthemsafe

Do you understand that choices you and others make effect more than your personal group? During a pandemic choices made by others become even more deadly to everyone else. I would think anyone who coaches would understand that. A bad decision by one player effects others on the team. A bad decision by a person of leadership could effect even more. Each decision a person makes is NOT in a bubble. On the other side good decisions also effect others. Making the RIGHT decision effects others,
Being a leader I hope you can wrap your mind around this concept!
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Easy does there little fella. Don’t want to cause a panic.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

New ground-breaking study from the Univ. of Wisconsin School of Medicine shows that participation in High School Sports does not lead to an increase in COVID-19 risk.

https://www.wissports.net/news_article/ ... b7xhW8v6IY
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Rails Hockey wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:39 pm New ground-breaking study from the Univ. of Wisconsin School of Medicine shows that participation in High School Sports does not lead to an increase in COVID-19 risk.

Take a moment and look at how the COVID numbers are in Wisconsin. Also take a look at his credentials and what benefit he would get from the statements. Are we considering that.

Take a look at how college football , nfl, are doing with containing this thing, if they can’t contain it with millions of dollars available how can high school sports.

The kids at your school have marched and tried to get the district to listen to how important in class learning is. But sports guys speak up and get what they want. Fans in stands, seasons during a pandemic,

Just shows how sports are more vital to society than education!
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Hunters1993 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 pm
Rails Hockey wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:39 pm New ground-breaking study from the Univ. of Wisconsin School of Medicine shows that participation in High School Sports does not lead to an increase in COVID-19 risk.

Take a moment and look at how the COVID numbers are in Wisconsin. Also take a look at his credentials and what benefit he would get from the statements. Are we considering that.

Take a look at how college football , nfl, are doing with containing this thing, if they can’t contain it with millions of dollars available how can high school sports.

The kids at your school have marched and tried to get the district to listen to how important in class learning is. But sports guys speak up and get what they want. Fans in stands, seasons during a pandemic,

Take a moment and think about how you are discrediting an actual MD because he does not share your point of view. Thanks for getting another thread locked up. I really appreciate your consistency in not being able to play nice with the other kids.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Schotzy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:35 am
Hunters1993 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:48 pm

Take a moment and think about how you are discrediting an actual MD because he does not share your point of view. Thanks for getting another thread locked up. I really appreciate your consistency in not being able to play nice with the other kids.
Agree with this. I dealt with it (Not the locking the thread part--for now)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Rials...very good read and, obviously good news as well. My only questions are, what was the time frame of data collection? If it was in the article I didn't notice. Outside of volleyball, aren't most of the fall sports outdoors? I assume that will account for some of the lower case numbers. But again I'll add, with 40% asymptomatic and, at that level of athletics where the priority of participating if at all possible is extremely high with both the athlete and their parents, how many kids who should be getting tested or even quarantining by health department guidelines simply aren't doing so? Based on my conversations with both kids and parents in my area, I think it's way higher than any of us believe. Without mandated, weekly testing we simply can't know what the rate of spread is. But again, it's still great news that none of those infected were ever ill enough to require hospitalization.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

It appears Anoka-Hennepin schools, including Andover, Anoka, Blaine, Champlin Park and Coon Rapids, are shutting down co-curriculars starting November 2, as the District is moving secondary schools to all-distance learning.

I also got an email in the past 2 hours that my childrens' Ramsey County schools are preparing to go full-distance on November 9 if case counts do not stop their increase. That would also mean no co-curriculars.

This is bad news. We didn't even make it to the indoor sports season!!
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Would that include Hill-Murray and Gentry?
Play Like a Champion Today
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

blueblood wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:53 pm Would that include Hill-Murray and Gentry?
Privates do not have to abide by the same rules and public schools when it comes to this situation. Not sure how that works with Gentry as a Charter School though?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

jg2112 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:55 pm It appears Anoka-Hennepin schools, including Andover, Anoka, Blaine, Champlin Park and Coon Rapids, are shutting down co-curriculars starting November 2, as the District is moving secondary schools to all-distance learning.

I also got an email in the past 2 hours that my childrens' Ramsey County schools are preparing to go full-distance on November 9 if case counts do not stop their increase. That would also mean no co-curriculars.

This is bad news. We didn't even make it to the indoor sports season!!
Football and Volleyball are done very soon. Maybe another couple of days. Another school district yielded to a teachers union. Candy stores are essential, education is not.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

UPDATE:

Spoke to a Source who is in the know with AD's and MSHSL....

Gov. Walz will be meeting with all MN Public School Superintendents on Friday Afternoon to discuss the weeks ahead...

Hearing the some in the higher up's of the MSHSL to be prepared for well I think you know.

Elliott: Have you heard anything from MN Hockey on this meeting and upcoming possible restrictions?

Hoping all bunch of nonsense.... However, my source said that it does not sound positive with new Covid MN Numbers coming out this afternoon that things are looking bleak and we could see major changes to everything in MN as soon as next week...
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

ClassAGuy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:09 am UPDATE:

Gov. Walz will be meeting with all MN Public School Superintendents on Friday Afternoon to discuss the weeks ahead...

Hearing the some in the higher up's of the MSHSL to be prepared for well I think you know.

Elliott: Have you heard anything from MN Hockey on this meeting and upcoming possible restrictions?

Hoping all bunch of nonsense.... However, my source said that it does not sound positive with new Covid MN Numbers coming out this afternoon that things are looking bleak and we could see major changes to everything in MN as soon as next week...

Goodbye MSHSL, hello MN Hockey
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

The news reported yesterday that at one point there were only 9 ICU beds available in the Twin Cities. That's always been the indicator we've been told.

So obviously you look backwards, because there's a 2-3 week lag time from infection to serious illness. At that time MN was logging about 1,500 infections a day. That infection level has almost taxed the local bed capacity.

Now look to today. This past week has logged over 3,000 infections a day. So the obvious concern is - if 1,500 infections a day almost placed ICU beds at full capacity, what's 3,000 a day going to do?

That's what the Governor's looking at. It's not political. It's certainly not nonsense. It's a matter of public health. 1,000+ are dying every day from this and it's going to get worse. Can we all please recognize this is a health issue?
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

jg2112 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:05 am

The news reported yesterday that at one point there were only 9 ICU beds available in the Twin Cities. That's always been the indicator we've been told.

So obviously you look backwards, because there's a 2-3 week lag time from infection to serious illness. At that time MN was logging about 1,500 infections a day. That infection level has almost taxed the local bed capacity.

Now look to today. This past week has logged over 3,000 infections a day. So the obvious concern is - if 1,500 infections a day almost placed ICU beds at full capacity, what's 3,000 a day going to do?

That's what the Governor's looking at. It's not political. It's certainly not nonsense. It's a matter of public health. 1,000+ are dying every day from this and it's going to get worse. Can we all please recognize this is a health issue?
Exactly. 98% of ICU beds in the metro are full, 92% state wide. Our local hospital has cancelled all elective surgeries and currently has 60+ nurses out. Our 7-12 grades will be going distance learning on the 12th through the Thanksgiving break and then reevaluating (K-6 remains in person, for now).
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Minnesota Hockey District 16 is currently NOT traveling.
D16 is continuing practice with no attendees other than players and coaches. (Except 8 and under age groups we allow one parent (adult) per player).
Everyone (except players on the ice) are masked.

We are awaiting word from the Governor on what is being closed down.