MSHSL Oct 1st Meeting (Boys Hockey Season Fate)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Re: MSHSL Oct 1st Meeting (Boys Hockey Season Fate)

Post by WestMetro »

Question remains whether the 2 person limit will be restricted to direct family members only, and whether schools will enforce by selling advance season passes only
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:35 am Question remains whether the 2 person limit will be restricted to direct family members only, and whether schools will enforce by selling advance season passes only
WM - Someone will let you in the side door ;)
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Streaming pass will be the way to go this season.
Play Like a Champion Today
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

blueblood wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:25 pm Streaming pass will be the way to go this season.
This is probably the way of the future for professional sports. They need TV money, not butts in seats.

I wonder if it is the way of the future for HS sports as well? Could venues make more money by keeping fans out and charging per-game or season streaming fees? Probably not?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

blueblood wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:25 pm Streaming pass will be the way to go this season.

BB ——. irony is ,a non family member may(?) be able to go to an Minn Hockey association BAA game one nite, but not(?) able to go to MSHSL varsity game the next nite, both at the same rink??

Furthermore, rules will(?) differ depending on municipality and rink manager ??

Even though MDOH rink rules have been in effect in June and continue in effect , with largely no issues

SomeoneAnyone - pls get me complimentary “ must admit” VIP pass to all rinks / all games!🤣
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Here is the full press release. Spectators is not necessarily
defined as family members.

However there is a advance sale requirement , No tickets will be sold at the door

This is what the high school elite league has been doing all season, however this was not the case for various other arena games and tournaments this summer and fall.

So, still a little confused If this is more stringent than basic MDOH rules themselves

Seems to imply that for spectators that roam around the state to watch different games , that somehow they will have to come up with an advance ticket for each game at each arena. Karl and Lee will have to set up a ticket exchange system on the forum🤣

https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_article/show/1126884
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

The "Bridge Season" is going forward. Obviously it will be mainly metro schools as most outstate schools are smaller and kids play multiple sports.
outdoorsuperstar

Post by outdoorsuperstar »

I am hearing that very few, if any, of the large AA Metro teams are proceeding with the "bridge season"
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

There is a trend to the right, more and more online learning coming. Stop extra activities before we all end up online. Education comes before athletics!
Attachments
CC6D1F88-1DB3-4159-A5DA-73CA7D6674D1.png
CC6D1F88-1DB3-4159-A5DA-73CA7D6674D1.png (216.7 KiB) Viewed 33254 times
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Omg I can’t not respond. I have two kids in college. 1800 college kids die each year in the USA from drinking to much. We have lost about 13 to COVID. If you don’t want your kid to play hockey this winter please keep him or her home on the sofa with you. Geez
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

wolfman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:45 pm Omg I can’t not respond. I have two kids in college. 1800 college kids die each year in the USA from drinking to much. We have lost about 13 to COVID. If you don’t want your kid to play hockey this winter please keep him or her home on the sofa with you. Geez
I can’t not respond. 13 deaths really? The total has passed the number of flu deaths a long time ago.

Look at the stats on MDH.

Education comes before sports. We aren’t going to be able to have in class education and athletics. Looks like athletics comes first, right!
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

wolfman wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:45 pm Omg I can’t not respond. I have two kids in college. 1800 college kids die each year in the USA from drinking to much. We have lost about 13 to COVID. If you don’t want your kid to play hockey this winter please keep him or her home on the sofa with you. Geez
Do you know that deaths to high school kids is not the only outcome of your kids play hockey.

I have used this story before, how many people die from depression a year, how many die from concussions? But it’s only this number so it shouldn’t effect us, right?

People suffer long term effects without dying. People live with concussion effects for the rest of their lives without dying.

People suffer from depression without ever dying from it. But not enough die to effect you?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:32 pm There is a trend to the right, more and more online learning coming. Stop extra activities before we all end up online. Education comes before athletics!
Look at the trends. There is a trend and the trend will continue to worsen if people don’t stop taking unnecessary risks.

#Keepschoolsopen
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

Here is the death trend amongst school aged kids in MN per the MN Dept of health website. Question, can you have a trend with all zero's? As it turns out, 8 months into this pandemic, and death has yet to be an outcome at all for Minnesota high schoolers.

Age Group Cases Deaths
5-9 2,129 0
10-14 3,221 0
15-19 10,316 0

Follow up question. Have we ever shut society down for anything that has "long term effects" (which isn't even proven yet as this virus us less than a year old)? I don't remember any sports, schools, etc shut down for long periods of time due to concussions or depression.

So should we just hide in our houses for the next decade or so until we know full and well what the "long term consequences" are? This vaccine they are working on won't be 100% effective, likely closer to 50%-75%. And everyone won't get it. Going to have to learn how to live with this at some point.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Hunters:

JUST STOP. We are all know your position. Feel free to stay home while the rest of us carry on.

Why? Because I for one, have proven that shut downs are not needed:

I have 5+ months of REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE of continuing to function safely that includes: hockey rinks, locker rooms, players benches, airports, airplanes, rental cars, hotels, restaurants, clients workplaces; etc.

My family and I and the kids I coach are all doing fine with ZERO issues.

#PeaceOut
Play Like a Champion Today
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:20 am Here is the death trend amongst school aged kids in MN per the MN Dept of health website. Question, can you have a trend with all zero's? As it turns out, 8 months into this pandemic, and death has yet to be an outcome at all for Minnesota high schoolers.

Age Group Cases Deaths
5-9 2,129 0
10-14 3,221 0
15-19 10,316 0

Follow up question. Have we ever shut society down for anything that has "long term effects" (which isn't even proven yet as this virus us less than a year old)? I don't remember any sports, schools, etc shut down for long periods of time due to concussions or depression.

So should we just hide in our houses for the next decade or so until we know full and well what the "long term consequences" are? This vaccine they are working on won't be 100% effective, likely closer to 50%-75%. And everyone won't get it. Going to have to learn how to live with this at some point.

Again it is not the death rate of these young kids. It is the long term consequences. Since depression or other health issue is not killing “enough” people so it shouldn’t effect your everyday sports life. Really how egocentric are we. The decisions and actions we take effect others. During a pandemic the infection gets passed to others by YOUR decisions. The highest infection rate groups are the 20-30 group and the 14-18 group. These kids pass it on.infections don’t just stay with the person who catches it! Bad decisions by people effect others. Remember that! Very important point here.

The chart above is showing some real disturbing trends for schools all heading to all online. Again I say Education is more important than sports. In the next few months one or the other will need to be shut down. And the way we are trending is schools are going to go all online and leave many kids behind, all children are not equipped, able, or in situations where online education is a good option. But boy we better play or sports right?

Fear the Pandemic? No make good decisions and respect this Pandemic? Yes. Take less risk to get this Pandemic over sooner than later? Yes. Think outside our own person bubble in order to get past this Pandemic? Yes.
Look outside your personal bubble and take a look at the people you and your children associate with every day. Grocery shopping, eating out, school, work. Make good decisions for those people.

#keepthekidsinschool
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

blueblood wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:23 am Hunters:

JUST STOP. We are all know your position. Feel free to stay home while the rest of us carry on.

I have 5+ months of REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE of continuing to function safely that includes: hockey rinks, locker rooms, players benches, airports, airplanes, rental cars, hotels, restaurants, clients workplaces; etc.

#PeaceOut
Again. If it doesn’t effect anyone around you in your personal circle it isn’t real? Again I use the depression, kids with learning difficulties, or how about concussions. If you don’t have any of those circumstances in your person bubble then it isn’t real or a real problem? Come out of your little bubble and think about how your decisions could/will effect others.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

#PeaceOut
You want to talk REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE, I work in a major hospital. Have interacted with this Pandemic daily. Can’t even begin to explain. Confidentiality reasons.

Wake up and look up what happened in Wisconsin creating a field hospital. State beds are filling up again and ICU beds are again getting low. Keep an eye on announcements from schools over here next few months.

#keepkidsinschool
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:28 am Sorry, but I am not involved with the MHCA so I cannot tell you what their plans are.

I do not know what association or district you are involved with so not sure if I can help with the problems you seem to be having. I do know that only one district director has expressed concern through our normal channels of communication and that has been resolved.

I do know that local associations will not be involved with registration, collecting of fees, paying of bills, scheduling practice and game times, and hiring of refs and other activities involved with a hockey season. Those responsibilities will belong to the MCHA (and assuming the parents of the participants).

I hope this calms your concerns and you do not feel the need to raise alarm.

I'm sure you'll be shocked but...not in the least. 8) Although I truly appreciate your "glass half-full", put the best face forward for the company approach, you and I both know this will likely turn into a significant shyt show... :wink: I've done this too long to have any faith in throwing something like this together this fast...
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:53 am
elliott70 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:28 am
I hope this calms your concerns and you do not feel the need to raise alarm.
Have you been reading the message board for the past 6 months? :wink:

you read my mind "Pipes"... :mrgreen:
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

thefatcat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:23 pm The "Bridge Season" is going forward. Obviously it will be mainly metro schools as most outstate schools are smaller and kids play multiple sports.

Link??
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

thefatcat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:23 pm The "Bridge Season" is going forward. Obviously it will be mainly metro schools as most outstate schools are smaller and kids play multiple sports.

Link??
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Wise Old Man wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Link??
https://twitter.com/thewagontrain27/sta ... 0933023744
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

#PeaceOut
Going to try and be the calm one here... :mrgreen: First...Hunters, you're on my "team" and I'm asking you to quick trash talking the other team's best player because it's making him play even better. :D Deep, deep, deep, deep, deep, deep...down inside, they all know we are right. They just can't bring themselves to admit it. This thread has progressed well without any direct Covid related chatter. So, let's try and keep it that way. Having said that, I will now for the absolute only and last time in this thread, respond in a slightly Covid-specific manner.

"Wolfy" and "7Times"...it ain't about deaths. Never has been, never will be... and, YOU know that. It's about decreasing risk of unnecessary and preventable secondary spread to those whose bodies are more likely to have bad outcomes. Along with, for the MSHSL, the potential liability that could entail. Remember -- and none of you have ever attempted to push back against this basic fact -- 40% are ASYMPTOMATIC... Meaning, unless those people are tested every day when they're infected/infectious, we'll never know, will we? You're right, the answer is yes, we won't know. It's OK, I understand it's extremely challenging to face the possibility of this degree of change/sacrifice for the "greater good". But, in all likelihood, it's literally one, freaking, season. Their going to try and play some games and, now they're going to even have a few fans. As Paul Allen says, "LET"S GO"...

"Blueblood", the 40% asymptomatic obviously goes directly to your attempt to say how definitive you are about how well things have supposedly gone this summer. The truth is, we don't have a clue. At least, based on what every respectable expert has said. We have already had 4 or 5 sports related incidents of spread in our area. All involving more than one kid. However, only one has been made public. Which, is the other challenge with saying, "what are you worried about, we haven't had/heard of any spread". I'm quite confident there's been a lot more incidents that we don't know about because, if a kid is asypmtomatic or mildly symptomatic, parents simply aren't keeping their kids home since they seem to care more about their son or daughter's athletics than, in their minds, the remote possibility anyone their child might spread it to having a far worse outcomes.

Finally..."7Times"...have we shut things down IN PART (far bigger concern is unnecessary spread) for previous illnesses? Not that I'm aware of. Help me out though, did we have advanced MRI technology in 1968 that could've diagnosed myocarditis? ? Did we have the same level of imaging technology to diagnose life altering lung scarring? Pretty sure the answer is no. Meaning, just because that guy jumped off a bridge thinking gravity wasn't a thing means that, now that we know gravity is a thing we should still jump off the bridge? From where I sit, that seems like a strange way to approach it...But hey, you keep doing you... :roll: 8)

OK, I promise...no more Covid specific chatter. Hunters...you listening? We aren't changing their minds and they aren't changing ours. The path forward has been established. And, only time will tell who's approaching this the proper way. Personally, I'll take science over conjecture and overly optimistic guess work... Truly appreciate and respect everyone's passion. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming regarding the chaos that likely will be a "bridge season"... :wink:
Cookster

Post by Cookster »

Guys:

I don't care which side of the Covid argument you are on, but can you please stop posting your opinions (or your versions of the facts) about the situation. I am getting tired of the moderators shutting down topics because of a few individuals talking about Covid.
Last edited by Cookster on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.