No State Tournament at the X this Spring....

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BSUBeaver

Re: No State Tournament at the X this Spring....

Post by BSUBeaver »

All the MSHSL needs to do is push the start date of winter sports back a few weeks and add those weeks onto the end of the winter season. Then push the start of spring sports back a couple of weeks and add those weeks onto the end of the spring season. I think a lot of the spring coaches would probably like that as how many games are unable to be played in the beginning of April? Also, extended practice time in the gym can get to be really boring. Push the season a little later into June, somewhat like Iowa does, and everything should work out.

Of course that would cause some problems with Legion Baseball and other summer leagues. But right now, if we are just focusing on High School sports, this is the easiest solution, in my mind.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:01 am
Rails Hockey wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:37 am
Schotzy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 am

A big mess indeed. I am interested to see what their decision will be for winter sports. MSHSL seems to be regretting their decision for Fall sports. I would have to believe they are going to make more weighted decisions moving forward.

I also found it interesting, and not at all surprising, that basketball was found to be the sport with the largest amount of confirmed cases since June 1st. Most of the confirmed cases were adults, and the number was not outrageous, but none-the-less. https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-ne ... since-june

This after basketball was declared a "low risk" activity. Which I thought was ridiculous. Anyone who has ever watched a basketball game, knows that the amount of close, physical contact is probably higher than any other sport.

Ultimately, Covid or not, I would really enjoy seeing high school sports back in play, and with no parents allowed in the stands. In the end, I think the kids would enjoy it more without mom and dad screaming at them. :D
I think they are definitely regretting it. The Data is out on Football. Hundreds of High School games have been played around the Country and there is no evidence of any Community outbreak due to Football. The MSHSL was also sued on Friday for moving Football and Volleyball to the Spring. I wonder how much of a factor that was in there decision to revisit?

https://www.kare11.com/article/sports/h ... 3107bc8c27

There will be an announcement shortly from the Big Ten that they are back also. All of this is very good news for Hockey this Winter.
Agree, but I suppose it's now time to cue the "it's an indoor sport" crowd.
I mean, other than Hockey Day, how many high school games aren’t played inside...😎
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Schotzy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:14 pm On the other hand, college hockey has been delayed until late November:
https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/ ... elayed.php

Not that it is a huge hit to the prospect of completing a reasonably full season, culminating in some form of championship, but it seems like hockey leagues are taking things more slowly than football.
I agree that most leagues are taking a careful approach, as they should. I also believe that some of those decisions were made based on what the Fall leagues were doing. I do think college hockey will start right around Thanksgiving for many leagues, if not earlier.
Trust me, it definitely won’t be earlier.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Shortest post ever by WOM. What is going on?
Play Like a Champion Today
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

blueblood wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 pm Shortest post ever by WOM. What is going on?
First post of his I've had the patience to read in about 3 months :lol:
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Millea and Souhan had a podcast this week talking about the pending MSHSL decisions on fall and winter sports. One interesting tidbit that Millea provided was when he's spoken to people in other states (he didn't mention which ones) that have reconsidered restarting fall sports, when the school AD's were officially surveyed that they responded 70-80% in favor of restarting the programs as their school's response. Then behind the scenes a number of AD's asked the state officials to hold to their original decision to postpone as it would be too much work to get organized to restart a fall season at this point.

It's all about the kids though right? :shock:
Last edited by InThePipes on Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

In Iowa the IHSAA made the schedules in football, largely along district lines allowing non districts rivals to play in week one.

The MSHSL could do the same in a day or two once they know which schools are fielding a team and which ones aren’t. Centralized scheduling would go much quicker and smoothly with a time crunch.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

blueblood wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 pm Shortest post ever by WOM. What is going on?
I'll take that as a compliment... :wink:
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 pm
Now that's just mean In The Pipes... :mrgreen:
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

Am I fair in assuming that the MSHSL is still meeting today (9/18/20) to discuss winter sports, or was that moved to Monday as well due to the discussion for football and volleyball. I thought I read somewhere that Monday's meeting was exclusively for the football/volleyball discussion.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Schotzy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:42 am Am I fair in assuming that the MSHSL is still meeting today (9/18/20) to discuss winter sports, or was that moved to Monday as well due to the discussion for football and volleyball. I thought I read somewhere that Monday's meeting was exclusively for the football/volleyball discussion.
My understanding is that Monday's meeting is to revisit the decision on fall sports (i.e. are they going to bring FB and volleyball back, starting in early October).

I believe the decision on winter sports will be made at a meeting on October 1st.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

InThePipes wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:07 pm
Schotzy wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:42 am Am I fair in assuming that the MSHSL is still meeting today (9/18/20) to discuss winter sports, or was that moved to Monday as well due to the discussion for football and volleyball. I thought I read somewhere that Monday's meeting was exclusively for the football/volleyball discussion.
My understanding is that Monday's meeting is to revisit the decision on fall sports (i.e. are they going to bring FB and volleyball back, starting in early October).

I believe the decision on winter sports will be made at a meeting on October 1st.
Thanks Pipes
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

InThePipes wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:55 pm

No offense Old Man but I concur, been skipping your posts for what seems months. If you want to be heard, short and concise>long winded all day.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

I think Monday’s meeting will also address post season plans for the 4 fall sports already competing. My hunch is nothing will happen.....The MEA and MDH is against football starting and the MSHSL hasn’t even reached out to their officials. The Minnesota Football Coaches Association wants a “meaningful” post season as well. If you are the coaches association WHAT? Have you not been paying attention? Take a fall 8 game season vs a spring 4-5 game season.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

According to John Millea of the MSHSL on Twitter:

"#mshsl board of directors votes to start volleyball on Sept. 28 with 10 days of preseason practice. First competition on Oct. 8. 11-week season, 14 dual competitions."

I imagine vote on football is coming shortly.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

Duluthguy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:14 am According to John Millea of the MSHSL on Twitter:

"#mshsl board of directors votes to start volleyball on Sept. 28 with 10 days of preseason practice. First competition on Oct. 8. 11-week season, 14 dual competitions."

I imagine vote on football is coming shortly.
Football has now been approved as well:
--Practices starting 9/28
--Games starting 10/9-10
--6 regular season games
--two week post-season (format TBD)
--Season would end by 11/28 to accommodate winter sports.
Rails Hockey

Post by Rails Hockey »

Nicely done MSHSL. Common sense is prevailing. These kids are much safer in organized Activities with supervision and safeguards than out in their large social gatherings on their own. That’s where we’ve seen the spread in High School and College aged kids. This should keep them safer and is great for their mental health and well being. A decision in the best interest of the kids.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Today's ruling is bad news in regards to why I made this thread.

Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming and Cross COuntry only doing a "Two Week' Sectional to conclude season....

The State Tournament at the X the crown jewel of our sport looking even LESS likely today....

Hockey will be 18 games and Sectional based off of what all Fall sports got.....

Rough to see no State Tournaments including in any of the formats... Hoping this will be revised on OCt 1st.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:18 pm Today's ruling is bad news in regards to why I made this thread.

Football, Volleyball, Soccer, Swimming and Cross COuntry only doing a "Two Week' Sectional to conclude season....

The State Tournament at the X the crown jewel of our sport looking even LESS likely today....

Hockey will be 18 games and Sectional based off of what all Fall sports got.....

Rough to see no State Tournaments including in any of the formats... Hoping this will be revised on OCt 1st.
It may or may not play out that way. I don't think they need to make post-season decisions for events happening in March on October 1st. Hopefully they make decisions when the time is correct and with as much information as possible instead of making decisions and then need to come back and revisit them again, as just happened.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Agree with pipes. MSHSL is not going to make a decision on hockey playoffs in October.
Play Like a Champion Today
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

InThePipes wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:30 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:18 pm Today's ruling is bad news in regards to why I made this thread.

It may or may not play out that way. I don't think they need to make post-season decisions for events happening in March on October 1st. Hopefully they make decisions when the time is correct and with as much information as possible instead of making decisions and then need to come back and revisit them again, as just happened.
I don't really agree with your take at all pipes....

We have an article saying they don't have money for state tournaments and today they allowed Volleyball and Football back but still their is no state tournament. MN Football Coaches Association pushed hard for a "Robost" playoff with state and got a two week sectional like very other sport.

What about today made you feel they revisited the state tournament discussion. They had always said they would have a season they just moved the season back to the fall its reduced and has no State... They stuck the sports that have been going with just a 2 week sectional or 'Culumninting Event" garbage they call it.

They didn't revisit anything on State which is what this article was saying... Help me understand why you think in the Winter they will add a State tournament when literally every Fall Sport didn't get one as promised in the article? What about that made you feel good about the X or a state tourney happening?

Just curious today was not a good sign for regular things

A shortened 18 game season with a 2 week sectional looks like all we get this year based on every sport in the fall...
USA218

Post by USA218 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:14 pm
InThePipes wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't really agree with your take at all pipes....

We have an article saying they don't have money for state tournaments and today they allowed Volleyball and Football back but still their is no state tournament. MN Football Coaches Association pushed hard for a "Robost" playoff with state and got a two week sectional like very other sport.

What about today made you feel they revisited the state tournament discussion. They had always said they would have a season they just moved the season back to the fall its reduced and has no State... They stuck the sports that have been going with just a 2 week sectional or 'Culumninting Event" garbage they call it.

They didn't revisit anything on State which is what this article was saying... Help me understand why you think in the Winter they will add a State tournament when literally every Fall Sport didn't get one as promised in the article? What about that made you feel good about the X or a state tourney happening?

Just curious today was not a good sign for regular things

A shortened 18 game season with a 2 week sectional looks like all we get this year based on every sport in the fall...
My hope is they don't punish winter spots by not allowing a state tournament just because the fall sports won't have one. If circumstances allow, I dont know why they wouldn't make every effort to crown a state champ.
That being said, would I envision it being at the X? No way! Maybe a smaller venue (different venues for each class?) with good television access. I think that would be more than reasonable to ask if they play a near, full season.
If they say "no state tournament" with their rationale being fall sports didn't get one is just juvenile thinking in my mind.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

The 4 fall sports that started in August had no postseason plan when they were allowed to move forward on August 4th. During today’s meeting they at least now have a format for section play that will start in about 3 weeks.

The MSHSL hasn’t made a decision on what football and volleyball postseason play will look like yet, other than season end dates. In football you could pretty much take the top 4 teams in the biggest classes and have a “state” tournament.

I would bet in their October meeting the MSHSL pushes back on winter season start dates until December 1, cuts the number of games, and says no wrestling tournaments. I think winter post season plans won’t be made until mid January.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

goldy313 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:31 pm The 4 fall sports that started in August had no postseason plan when they were allowed to move forward on August 4th. During today’s meeting they at least now have a format for section play that will start in about 3 weeks.

The MSHSL hasn’t made a decision on what football and volleyball postseason play will look like yet, other than season end dates. In football you could pretty much take the top 4 teams in the biggest classes and have a “state” tournament.

I would bet in their October meeting the MSHSL pushes back on winter season start dates until December 1, cuts the number of games, and says no wrestling tournaments. I think winter post season plans won’t be made until mid January.
No money for State Tournamnets hope you are right but HIGHLY doubting it