Podcast

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Podcast

Post by WestMetro »

Worst kept secret - the Forums excellent podcast team will be treating us to a pre pre pre season Podcast soon .

Rumors? Medical updates? Ineligible transfers? Captain practice updates? Mshsl spies? Special guests?

Karl Faithful - have you made a sighting today ? Does he have his location turned on? Duluth apartment with Zoom viewable through window ? Bloomington strip mall?
Stang5280

Re: Podcast

Post by Stang5280 »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:40 pm Karl Faithful - have you made a sighting today ? Does he have his location turned on? Duluth apartment with Zoom viewable through window ? Bloomington strip mall?
I do believe Karl made a move further up the east side (though not to a deluxe apartment in the sky), and is now a homeowner. Pretty soon he’ll be yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

In any event, a podcast with some actual hockey news would be a welcome listen.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Stang- 100 there today dropping to high 20s Tuesday with snow ?!?!?! WTH?
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:15 pm Stang- 100 there today dropping to high 20s Tuesday with snow ?!?!?! WTH?
I know, hard to believe! I guess Mother Nature really wants summer to end here after Labor Day. She can be cruel here in Colorado sometimes.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Podcast today for some Labor Day Content!!

Hopefully they will cover the bridge season
How many games will be cut

How many weeks

Will there be more then just a sectional

Cant wait to hear if they know how much the season will be reduced we all know it will be cut down but by how much??
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Fun podcast. Great to hear all three of them discuss HS Hockey again.

Towards the end when they discussed how USHL is not just a given for many of these high school players, it reminded me of something else. If there is no college hockey season or it is severely diminished, there are theoretically some players who were supposed to play D1 but still have USHL eligibility. If USHL is on and college is off, will college coaches want players to go back for another year? If this is even allowed, it would have quite the ripple effect for some 03 and 02 players who were told they made their USHL team out of camp but suddenly lose their spot to a 00 and 01 the team had thought was gone. Just another one of the many questions it will be interesting to keep an eye on!

(Please don’t hijack this post with pro-hockey or anti-hockey Covid comments you know who you are)
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

GREAT PODCAST!

Adding to DATA POINTS

Great points here can help add to your podcast:

Tony talked about his daughter and soccer as a read which is the best sport to read... You are ok Tony as a dad you didn't miss anything as far as Playoff information they haven't announced it yet they will as the MSHSL Board Meeting on Sept 16th

As for Hockey when will they announce their plans and how much will be cut. Yes I have very good information Games and weeks are going to be cut. That announcement will be made at the board meeting on October 1st what the plan is for how much gets cut.

They will table the playoffs and state for later like they did in the fall for soccer.

Just adds to your podcast

Great Listen

Hockey fans key dates

Sept 16th when they announce playoff plans for Fall Sports.

Oct 1st When They will announce tentative schedule plans for how winter will look.

Until then please stop covid debate and just wait for answers
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I have no secrets here, do I?! (Or at least now I know which of you read the non-hockey stuff I write.) :lol:

But, yes, the podcast is now live. In addition to discussing my new place of residence and Danny's quarantine life, we go over Tony's experience with recent offseason hockey, play out various scenarios for this winter, look for comparisons, and hit on some player movement and coaching changes near the end.

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_art ... er-edition

Thanks for listening...we won't pretend to have all the answers as to what will happen this winter, but hopefully we're giving everyone some good food for thought. If I've seemed MIA this summer, it's not because I'm not paying attention...just trying not to react to every little new piece of information when things are changing so quickly. Hope I'll still be able to see a few familiar, if masked, faces at rinks this winter and preparing for every possible outcome.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I listened also. Nice job by our dream team

But things are clear as mud!
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

ClassAGuy wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:00 pm GREAT PODCAST!

Adding to DATA POINTS

Great points here can help add to your podcast:

Tony talked about his daughter and soccer as a read which is the best sport to read... You are ok Tony as a dad you didn't miss anything as far as Playoff information they haven't announced it yet they will as the MSHSL Board Meeting on Sept 16th

As for Hockey when will they announce their plans and how much will be cut. Yes I have very good information Games and weeks are going to be cut. That announcement will be made at the board meeting on October 1st what the plan is for how much gets cut.

They will table the playoffs and state for later like they did in the fall for soccer.

Just adds to your podcast

Great Listen

Hockey fans key dates

Sept 16th when they announce playoff plans for Fall Sports.

Oct 1st When They will announce tentative schedule plans for how winter will look.

Until then please stop covid debate and just wait for answers
Good insight ClassAGuy!

The question becomes at what season length the MSHSL cuts it to in terms of games and weeks, coupled with the fact they are unlikely to commit to any playoff experience before HS players just say "forget it, I'll play in another league". I obviously am not a HS player and can't answer that question, but for the sake of discussion at which level do you think there is a significant loss in HS players to private leagues that continue (HSEL, etc.), junior teams, junior gold, etc.?

A) 12 games/8 weeks
B) 15 games/10 weeks
C) 20 games/12 weeks
D) 25 games/14 weeks

If I had to answer, I would say anything less than option C would just create a mass exodus to other non-MSHSL options?

EDIT: After listening to the podcast, perhaps MN Hockey will step in and fill the void (or even run the season entirely which may be for the best).
Last edited by InThePipes on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub »

Very fun to get the band back together today. Appreciate all of the listens.

We tried to report what we did know and what will likely happen this year based on verified discussions with coaches and board members of both MSHSL and MNH.

Really hard to say how connected or disconnected MN Hockey and MSHSL will/can be.
Both organizations have the growth of the game and BHS/GHS hockey strength as a priority. But can they work together somehow?

I sure hope they can.
More important, hope they can pull off a section tourney with live streams and state tourney with statewide TV.

If that is pulled off, the strength of HS hockey in Minnesota would not be touched.

Like Karl said, hope to see some or most of your faces at the rink very soon.

-TS
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

karl(east) wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:09 pm I have no secrets here, do I?! (Or at least now I know which of you read the non-hockey stuff I write.) :lol:
Ha, sorry to spill the beans and spoil your big news at the top of the podcast! I did get a laugh about your new living situation being a major topic of discussion after my comment above. Good job in convincing and/or bribing Danny into helping out with some home renovation projects.

Oh, and just as a public service announcement, the podcast is finally available on Apple, Google, Spotify, etc., so you can listen and subscribe through your platform of choice (search “YHH Hockey Podcasts”).
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

YouthHockeyHub wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:27 pm Very fun to get the band back together today. Appreciate all of the listens.

We tried to report what we did know and what will likely happen this year based on verified discussions with coaches and board members of both MSHSL and MNH.

Really hard to say how connected or disconnected MN Hockey and MSHSL will/can be.
Both organizations have the growth of the game and BHS/GHS hockey strength as a priority. But can they work together somehow?

I sure hope they can.
More important, hope they can pull off a section tourney with live streams and state tourney with statewide TV.

If that is pulled off, the strength of HS hockey in Minnesota would not be touched.

Like Karl said, hope to see some or most of your faces at the rink very soon.

-TS
Great podcast and I echo all of your sentiments above, let's hope the powers that be can actually work productively together to do something positive for the players who would otherwise be impacted.