2A 2020-2021 Season

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Wins

Delano
43%
Armstong
43%
Breck
No votes
Orono
14%
Someone Else
No votes

Total votes: 7

ClassAGuy

2A 2020-2021 Season

Post by ClassAGuy »

Going to be a very deep Section

Delano- Looks to be the favorite they bring back Brown, Paulson, Keranen and more. They just need a goalie Delano after Mahtomedi's breakthrough last year is the next blue blood in Class A lacking a title. This Tiger team will look to be the first to try and break the 1st round cruse ... Delano wants to make the X and win game there this year.

Armstrong- Great run last year and they should be very strong again this year!

Breck- Bring back a good core lost a piece here and there to other privates overall still very good team.

Orono- Lost a ton to graduation and their top Bantam left for Benilde be interesting to see how they do this year.

Mound, Southwest Christian both look solid as well.
Stang5280

Re: 2A 2020-2021 Season

Post by Stang5280 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:27 am Going to be a very deep Section

Delano- Looks to be the favorite they bring back Brown, Paulson, Keranen and more. They just need a goalie Delano after Mahtomedi's breakthrough last year is the next blue blood in Class A lacking a title. This Tiger team will look to be the first to try and break the 1st round cruse ... Delano wants to make the X and win game there this year.

Breck- Bring back a good core lost a piece here and there to other privates overall still very good team.

Orono- Lost a ton to graduation and their top Bantam left for Benilde be interesting to see how they do this year.

While the 2A playoffs can lead to some unexpected results, I would peg Delano as the clear favorite. The Tigers should hover at the fringe of the top five in state, particularly if they can get decent goaltending, as you mentioned.

A/C loses their two big scorers, and I believe most of their talent from last year’s strong Bantam group were 8th graders. They are still the most likely threat to Delano, given how much Orono lost to graduation.

I have been less plugged in to the happenings at Breck with the uncertainty surrounding the school year and hockey season, but I will have to check on the new freshman class now that school started up last week (hybrid model for upper school). Losing Mikan hurts, but the top D pairing will be very good, and still young. Goaltending is a weakness, but hasn’t been all that solid for the past few years, either.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Stang5280 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:42 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:27 am Going to be a very deep Section

While the 2A playoffs can lead to some unexpected results, I would peg Delano as the clear favorite. The Tigers should hover at the fringe of the top five in state, particularly if they can get decent goaltending, as you mentioned.

A/C loses their two big scorers, and I believe most of their talent from last year’s strong Bantam group were 8th graders. They are still the most likely threat to Delano, given how much Orono lost to graduation.

I have been less plugged in to the happenings at Breck with the uncertainty surrounding the school year and hockey season, but I will have to check on the new freshman class now that school started up last week (hybrid model for upper school). Losing Mikan hurts, but the top D pairing will be very good, and still young. Goaltending is a weakness, but hasn’t been all that solid for the past few years, either.
A/C's bantams had 3 good 9th grade D, 2 should play varsity for sure this year. Their best two-way player left for BSM which is a bummer but they had another 9th grade F that is big and should see varsity minutes this season. The 8th grade line has two kids that will tryout for varsity this year, it's realistic that they make the big club. The smaller 8th grader will remain at bantams. All three 8th graders were gifted scorers..need to work on coming below the blue line on defensive end though. That's 5 kids who will most likely contribute this season for the big club plus A/C will have the best netminder in 2A.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

thefatcat wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 am A/C's bantams had 3 good 9th grade D, 2 should play varsity for sure this year. Their best two-way player left for BSM which is a bummer but they had another 9th grade F that is big and should see varsity minutes this season. The 8th grade line has two kids that will tryout for varsity this year, it's realistic that they make the big club. The smaller 8th grader will remain at bantams. All three 8th graders were gifted scorers..need to work on coming below the blue line on defensive end though. That's 5 kids who will most likely contribute this season for the big club plus A/C will have the best netminder in 2A.
Thanks for the detailed scouting report on A/C, thefatcat! As a non-local it’s hard to know who is coming in for many of the less prominent Class A programs. While I tend to keep expectations low for most freshmen and sophomores arriving from Bantams, it sounds like A/C will be set up well for the near future. All of the other 2A contenders have questions in net (though Delano always seems to find a solid goalie), so having experience back there is a nice advantage.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Stang5280 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:06 pm
thefatcat wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:26 am A/C's bantams had 3 good 9th grade D, 2 should play varsity for sure this year. Their best two-way player left for BSM which is a bummer but they had another 9th grade F that is big and should see varsity minutes this season. The 8th grade line has two kids that will tryout for varsity this year, it's realistic that they make the big club. The smaller 8th grader will remain at bantams. All three 8th graders were gifted scorers..need to work on coming below the blue line on defensive end though. That's 5 kids who will most likely contribute this season for the big club plus A/C will have the best netminder in 2A.
Thanks for the detailed scouting report on A/C, thefatcat! As a non-local it’s hard to know who is coming in for many of the less prominent Class A programs. While I tend to keep expectations low for most freshmen and sophomores arriving from Bantams, it sounds like A/C will be set up well for the near future. All of the other 2A contenders have questions in net (though Delano always seems to find a solid goalie), so having experience back there is a nice advantage.
The junior class at A/C is not very good with exception of maybe 2-3 kids so I think the frosh/soph's will have to step up right away.

A/C's PWA was pretty good this season (in top 10 most of season but underperformed in playoffs), they have some pretty good skaters at that level...netminding may be a different story. They have a decent window for the next 4-5 years to be relevant in 1A.