Minnesota Hockey Taking Over?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InThePipes

Re: Minnesota Hockey Taking Over?

Post by InThePipes »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:35 pm
Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:34 am
elliott70 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Are you saying you are the devil?

"Elliott"... actually, I think YOU might be the Devil... you have REALLY been holding out on us regarding this topic/title of the thread. :shock: :mrgreen:
I have been called worse.
Minnesota Hockey has no intention of taking over high school hockey.
If MSHSL decides not to have high school hockey players can certainly sign up for junior gold. Midget and other programs will most likely not be offered as we have a program to accommodate kids with Jr Gold A and B levels and U16 if needed.
What I have been told MSHSL league hockey will be played with certain restrictions and a wait and see what happens with play-offs, state tournament.

Still the devil?
Thanks, could you define "restrictions"? Do "restrictions" mean?

A) Playing a 12-15 game regular season starting in mid-December

B) Playing a normal schedule with limitations on fans, etc

C) Yet to be determined
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:44 pm
Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:34 am

"Elliott"... actually, I think YOU might be the Devil... you have REALLY been holding out on us regarding this topic/title of the thread. :shock: :mrgreen:
If MSHSL decides not to have high school hockey players can certainly sign up for junior gold. Midget and other programs will most likely not be offered as we have a program to accommodate kids with Jr Gold A and B levels and U16 if needed.
What I have been told MSHSL league hockey will be played with certain restrictions and a wait and see what happens with play-offs, state tournament.

Still the devil?

C) Yet to be determined
Not set in stone but what I have been told is:
2 games per week maximum approximately 10 -11 weeks so near normal #.
Limitation on fans; with social distancing, masks etc...
yet to be determined is play-offs depending on second wave, reduction in numbers will dictate how far things go, in all likelihood no Xcel, but some venue with restrictions again in numbers of attending.

Be patient is what I was told. MSHSL has not made a decision and are not closed mind but waiting to see what turns.
No comments from me as I am being patient.
This is the process we are using in District 16 for youth hockey.
Start slow and add as time goes by and conditions allow it.
Sioux Lookout

Post by Sioux Lookout »

Let's be real, this season will be a shadow of it's former self. Just look to Fall sports schedules taking place now.

The MSHSL will meet again in October and outline what Winter sports will look like, but you can expect something like this...

1. 20% reduction in season length - ie. - less weeks overall.
2. 30% reduction in competition schedule - less games and no scrimmages allowed.
3. Priority for games will be local (conference first, followed by section opponents) with travel restrictions (unnecessary non-conference games will be eliminated) and no overnights. This I would guess will end most if not all holiday tournament travel.

Simple math puts a regular season schedule at approximately 17-18 games. This lines up with what Elliott is saying with the first week being tryouts and no games being played until the second week starting Wednesday or Thursday night.

Now, in that shortened schedule a team will lose valuable non-conference or section games that can usually be a better source of competition.

Hey, Duluth East, by proximity I bet Hermantown will be available. Save the Tuesday night trips to Lakeville or Stillwater and "Let's Play Hockey!"
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Sioux Lookout wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:45 pm Let's be real, this season will be a shadow of it's former self. Just look to Fall sports schedules taking place now.

The MSHSL will meet again in October and outline what Winter sports will look like, but you can expect something like this...

1. 20% reduction in season length - ie. - less weeks overall.
2. 30% reduction in competition schedule - less games and no scrimmages allowed.
3. Priority for games will be local (conference first, followed by section opponents) with travel restrictions (unnecessary non-conference games will be eliminated) and no overnights. This I would guess will end most if not all holiday tournament travel.

Simple math puts a regular season schedule at approximately 17-18 games. This lines up with what Elliott is saying with the first week being tryouts and no games being played until the second week starting Wednesday or Thursday night.

Now, in that shortened schedule a team will lose valuable non-conference or section games that can usually be a better source of competition.

Hey, Duluth East, by proximity I bet Hermantown will be available. Save the Tuesday night trips to Lakeville or Stillwater and "Let's Play Hockey!"
I tend to agree with you, but let's hope Elliott's statement about the MSHSL not being closed minded on this is actually true.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

The precedent had been set by MSHSL with season reductions. I suspect lawsuits will be threatened and taken out I f winter, spring and summer sports are granted longer seasons than fall.

I view this akin to girls hockey litigation the MSHSL faced regarding the basis of equality to play at the X a few years ago.
Play Like a Champion Today
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

How about if we a school is in online mode? Or hybrids? How will that effect season games? Ok hockey dads no school for Johnny but go ahead and play your games? Really, ridiculous
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Still the devil?

C) Yet to be determined
yet to be determined is play-offs depending on second wave, reduction in numbers will dictate how far things go, in all likelihood no Xcel, but some venue with restrictions again in numbers of attending.

Be patient is what I was told. MSHSL has not made a decision and are not closed mind but waiting to see what turns.
Elliott....thanks for sharing. Heard the high school coaches approached Minnesota Hockey to come up with a plan to do a bridge season for the high school kids. Heard you guys met on Aug 10 and that MH is now thinking about a U-19 level run by the youth associations.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:21 pm

C) Yet to be determined

Elliott....thanks for sharing. Heard the high school coaches approached Minnesota Hockey to come up with a plan to do a bridge season for the high school kids. Heard you guys met on Aug 10 and that MH is now thinking about a U-19 level run by the youth associations.
To clarify, it was the high school coaches approached MH and not the MSHSL.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:09 pm How about if we a school is in online mode? Or hybrids? How will that effect season games? Ok hockey dads no school for Johnny but go ahead and play your games? Really, ridiculous
There were 250+ youth teams in the Twin Cities for a single AAA tournament this past weekend, not to mention many 100's of other players playing BEL, Tier 1, MASH, etc., so hockey is being played regardless of school decisions.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Hunters1993:

I want to make sure your comments. Is your belief that if kids are in a remote learning environment, they should not be allowed to participate in team based extra-curricular activities. Is that correct?
Play Like a Champion Today
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Depends. When school is cancelled due to weather do they have extra acticities?

If your kid stays home from school do you let them participate

If it’s not safe to be in a classroom with others why is it safe to have teams together?

So when schools all go hybrid or online by Christmas do extra activities continue? What message are we sending to your kids? School is important but the sports are vital?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

InThePipes wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:36 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:09 pm How about if we a school is in online mode? Or hybrids? How will that effect season games? Ok hockey dads no school for Johnny but go ahead and play your games? Really, ridiculous
There were 250+ youth teams in the Twin Cities for a single AAA tournament this past weekend, not to mention many 100's of other players playing BEL, Tier 1, MASH, etc., so hockey is being played regardless of school decisions.
That’s great can’t wait for the outbreak to start right around when school starts. Thanks for that!
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:21 pm

C) Yet to be determined

THAT IS NEITHER CONFIRMED NOR DENIED.
hadenuf

Post by hadenuf »

HOLY S**T, PEOPLE ARE DYING AND YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PRECIOUS NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY HOCKEY?
HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 »

Someone recently posted about a high profile coach who was being asked to step down by parents.
I can't find that post. Any updates or more info?
Was the post removed or deleted?
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

hadenuf wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:42 am HOLY S**T, PEOPLE ARE DYING AND YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PRECIOUS NOT BEING ABLE TO PLAY HOCKEY?
DITTO!
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 pm Depends. When school is cancelled due to weather do they have extra acticities?

If it’s not safe to be in a classroom with others why is it safe to have teams together?

So when schools all go hybrid or online by Christmas do extra activities continue? What message are we sending to your kids? School is important but the sports are vital?

Any response hockey dads!
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Hunters1993 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Hunters1993 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:23 pm Depends. When school is cancelled due to weather do they have extra acticities?

Any response hockey dads!
If they can pull it off with those large numbers centralized at a place like Super Rink....why can't it be pulled off at smaller venues with less ppl for association and HS hockey?

Now if all of the sudden there is an large uptick in infections directly related to hockey I am more than willing to pump the brakes.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

This would be the most health-proactive way to do it. It's what hockey players have done this summer and I've only heard of 2-3 issues.

I mean, you can distance learn, and that's going to happen! There is no way to distance skate.

North Dakota's mens team has been 100% online for years (same with most football teams). They study at REA and don't set foot on campus unless by choice.
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

So what would private schools do if MH takes over and creates a U-19 level...would the privates form their own team or would kids go back to their associations that they came from? How would it affect eligibility if you go back to association?
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

thefatcat wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:16 pm So what would private schools do if MH takes over and creates a U-19 level...would the privates form their own team or would kids go back to their associations that they came from? How would it affect eligibility if you go back to association?
Ideally create a private school team (basically create HS and JV teams for all MSHSL or as many as can field them)...this would need to be on the honor system and based on how everything else seems to go in this world today I'm sure there'd be shenanigans that take place, but I don't know how you can completely avoid that.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

jg2112 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:15 pm
This would be the most health-proactive way to do it. It's what hockey players have done this summer and I've only heard of 2-3 issues.

I mean, you can distance learn, and that's going to happen! There is no way to distance skate.

North Dakota's mens team has been 100% online for years (same with most football teams). They study at REA and don't set foot on campus unless by choice.

If school has to go distance learn. Sports and extracurricular shouldn’t happen.

If it’s not safe to go to school to learn kids shouldn’t be together for sports.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

No in person school no hockey!!!!!!!!

have extra acticities?

Great message for your kids hockey dads!
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

Hunters1993 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm

have extra acticities?

You're an angry elf...you must be one of those South Pole elves?

There were Charter Schools that are online that still had sports pre-pandemic, why would hybrid or on-line be any different.

Kids doing online school and being primarily with their teammates for something like hockey is a little different than sending kids to school at say Tonka or Wayzata which are like small universities in terms on size. I feel like you're comparing apples and oranges.
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:45 pm

have extra acticities?

Tim Tebow. Maria Sharapova. Serena and Venus Williams. Blake Griffin. Shaun White.

All homeschooled.

Our hockey players will be fine if they're taught by teachers via video screen.