Minnesota Hockey Taking Over?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ClassAGuy

Re: Minnesota Hockey Taking Over?

Post by ClassAGuy »

Wise Old Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:37 am
wolfman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 pm I just set my alarm for 2:30am. Can’t wait to read the wise old man 😏

Wolfman... although I'm honored you would be that interested in my diatribes, for your own good health I hope you're not waiting up that late to read my musings on a regular basis. :D

"WestMetro"....thanks for your well thought out response. Much appreciated. Of course, for some reason you chose not to address the other questions I asked. Hopefully, you choose to respond to the other two soon. :wink:

OK, since we're getting closer to what would normally be the start of the season for the various Junior leagues and the Elite League, I made a few phone calls to people I trust and I heard some very interesting things today. Much of it will throw at least a partial wrench in the points a few of you have made in trying to use the the fact that, for the last month or so, the USHL and NAHL have said they have every intention to play a full/normal season. So, why wouldn't the MSHSL or even Minnesota Hockey play a normal season? Well, all I can say is, Covid would like you to hold its' beer...

Before I dive into this, I want to state that if there is any way to have some type of hockey season that can legitimately be done in a truly Covid safe way, I will work as hard as I can in my local area to help make that happen. As I've stated previously, I have two kids in youth hockey and it will be an extremely long winter if there isn't at least some type of season. And, if there isn't a season, I'm going to have to hope the extra $600 in federal unemployment gets figured out, otherwise things will be a little tight come Christmas.

Now for the "good stuff". Most of what I was told is second-hand and, even possibly third-hand. However, I trust both the person I spoke with and, he has significant trust in the person who told him certain pieces of information. First, here's the "third-hand" info I was given. I was told that within the next two weeks, the NCAA -- not the conferences but the NCAA -- would announce the cancellation of the entire hockey season. Not a delay in the start to Jan. 1st, which is what all of the Div. III leagues and, I believe the Ivies have already announced, but an actual cancellation of the season. Now, to this point, it has been the individual conferences (BIG10, Pac-12, and the smaller conferences) that have chosen to halt sports until Jan. 1st, and not the NCAA. This begs the question, why would the NCAA now take the reins and make that type of determination, versus leaving it to the individual conferences? Still, as I said, I do trust my source and, in turn, his source. Obviously, we'll know in due time.

Next, let's move to the Junior level. I was told that the USHL would be delaying the start of their season until Nov. 1st. And, if the NCAA does actually cancel the entire Div. I & III seasons, I was told the USHL would then cancel its' entire season as well. I realize that all of that runs completely counter to everything the USHL has been saying. But, there may also be challenges arising with some of the cities who own some of the buildings their teams play in from the standpoint of either being told the team can only allow limited numbers of fans each game, which will drastically affect their bottom line. Or, the cities may choose to close the buildings completely for the season.

As for NAHL, apparently they had an emergency owners meeting this past Monday. At which their commissioner, Mark Frankenfeld, was adamant that the league would do everything in it's power to have a full season. Still, they have already postponed their big September Showcase in Blaine and, told it's teams that they won't be starting prior to either Nov. 1st or possibly Nov. 15th. Next, the other thing revealed during the meeting is that both Alaska teams, as well as the all of the teams in their Southern division are being forced to take the season off. Either due to being told they'll be limited to only 50 or less fans each night by their respective municipalities or, they simply won't be allowed to use their arenas at all. Also, for the Alaska teams, there may be some limitations on other teams coming in from other states and having to quarantine for 14 days. Again, that's some pretty significant info but, my sources feel strongly that it's true.

Although at this point the Elite League is planning to play, that could obviously change. Finally, I was told this afternoon by a completely different source, that the MSHSL has decided that they will make a final decision regarding winter sports on October 20th. That was apparently decided within the last couple of days. I will do my best to try and either confirm or deny everything I have stated here in the next few days. Regardless, for those like "HockeyCrazy", "InThePipes", and others, I will say again that just because all of the various camps, summer leagues, tournaments, and tryouts have been going forward has absolutely nothing to do with whether any of the various leagues will play this coming winter. Those responsible for making those decisions for those leagues don't give a rats rear end what happened during the summer. It's all about liability and whether the potential known (and not yet known) risks from Covid 19, outweigh the benefits of playing.

One other thing I learned today is that the main (and possibly only) reason why USA Hockey chose to sanction a normal game play season is essentially about money (I know, shocking). Both the potential loss in individual player, coach, team, and officials' registrations, as well as the fact that if they chose not to sanction a normal season, it would create chaos with all of the Junior leagues and private clubs around the country. Including the possibility that a number of the private hockey clubs might choose to register with the AAU which, apparently the USA Hockey brass were worried might not come back the following year. Personally, as interconnected as USA Hockey is with the various upper-level development tracks, I highly doubt those teams wouldn't rejoin USA Hockey next fall.

Oh, I almost forgot. One last thing. A little birdie told me tonight that, there is a long-tenured, extremely successful high school coach whose future at his current school may -- emphasis on MAY -- be in jeopardy. If this is true, it's extremely sad and unfortunate in my opinion. Apparently, just this past week, his players' parents began the process to pursue his removal. Why now and at this point in the year, I have yet to hear. But, I should be able to find out. I apologize but, that's all I'm comfortable saying at this moment.

Hey "wolfman"... If you're up, I hope you enjoy what I've written! :P
WOW POST OF THE YEAR hahaha

According to Wise Old Man Hockey is all gonna be cancelled in the USA .... Wow

His news on USHL is old they already announced this week Friday November 6th is opening night.

The NAHL keeps saying October but we will see...

Elite League is a full go so no worrying there.

The NCAA Hockey thing was well awesome and I guess we will see but highly doubt they cancel hockey yikes. I am hearing Thanksgiving time more likely from a source of a source....

Finally the one we care about the MSHSL yes they will wait to till mid October for Winter Sports.
Hockey will be played it just might be reduced by weeks and games.

What NCAA does has nothing to do with High School today in Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska, Penn (Against the Advice and Plea of the Dem Gov.) they will play football even thought NCAA made it deemed unsafe.

Great post WIse Old Man wow your sources wow
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Wise

Again, thanks for your thorough analysis and I respect your opinions and Im sure lots agree with you.

Thought I had tried to answer your questions, but i guessed I missed a couple. Ill do my best , to try to continue a respectful dialogue

YOUR QUESTION: Just curious -- serious question here -- are any of you currently serving in any type of youth or high school sports administrative leadership position?

NO, RETIRED. BUT I HAVE BEEN IN A "LEADERSHIP" POSITION OF KIDS AND GRANDKIDS IN HOCKEY FOR ALMOST 7 DECADES. AND ALSO HAVE HUNDREDS OF HOCKEY FRIENDS/FAMILIES FROM OVER THE DECADES ABOUT WHOM I CARE DEEPLY , BOTH IN TERMS OF THEIR HEALTH AND ALSO THEIR LOVE OF THE GAME AND THE BENEFITS OF SPORTS PARTICIPATION. I TRUST THE PARENTS HAVE BEEN WATCHING AND LEARNING ABOUT COVID THE LAST 6 MONTHS ON AND CAN DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR THEIR KIDS.

YOUR QUESTION: Next, what's your response/perspective in regards to the BIG10/Pac-12 choosing not to play fall sports due to the same potential medical concerns that the articles I provided lay out? As I stated last night, outside of the basic health of their athletes, those conferences/schools have a heckuva lot more to lose than than the MSHSL, So, if they're concerned enough to cancel, how do you defend putting even younger kids at risk?

DONT KNOW ABOUT THIS . BUT FACT THAT THE PAC 10/BIG 10 DECIDED NOT TO PLAY WHEN THE ACC/SEC DID DECIDE TO PLAY JUST SHOWS THE DIFFERING VIEW OF THE MEDICAL FACTS AND THE PATH FORWARD. JUST LIKE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE DIFFERENT OPINION. AND ALSO HOCKEY PARENTS. I RESPECT ALL THOSE DIFFERENCES.

Ill be over at Bantam Elite League Champsionship final today, with my mask like the governor ordered. (Up until then i just used it it at the entrance line,) Will see lots of fun hockey and visit with friends from 6 foot distance. The kids will love participating. Ive got faith that is all reasonable and OK right now, some of this has got to be based on leap of faith, right? Otherwise no one would ever leave the house?
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:44 am
Wise Old Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:37 am
wolfman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 pm I just set my alarm for 2:30am. Can’t wait to read the wise old man 😏

Wolfman... although I'm honored you would be that interested in my diatribes, for your own good health I hope you're not waiting up that late to read my musings on a regular basis. :D

"WestMetro"....thanks for your well thought out response. Much appreciated. Of course, for some reason you chose not to address the other questions I asked. Hopefully, you choose to respond to the other two soon. :wink:

OK, since we're getting closer to what would normally be the start of the season for the various Junior leagues and the Elite League, I made a few phone calls to people I trust and I heard some very interesting things today. Much of it will throw at least a partial wrench in the points a few of you have made in trying to use the the fact that, for the last month or so, the USHL and NAHL have said they have every intention to play a full/normal season. So, why wouldn't the MSHSL or even Minnesota Hockey play a normal season? Well, all I can say is, Covid would like you to hold its' beer...

Before I dive into this, I want to state that if there is any way to have some type of hockey season that can legitimately be done in a truly Covid safe way, I will work as hard as I can in my local area to help make that happen. As I've stated previously, I have two kids in youth hockey and it will be an extremely long winter if there isn't at least some type of season. And, if there isn't a season, I'm going to have to hope the extra $600 in federal unemployment gets figured out, otherwise things will be a little tight come Christmas.

Now for the "good stuff". Most of what I was told is second-hand and, even possibly third-hand. However, I trust both the person I spoke with and, he has significant trust in the person who told him certain pieces of information. First, here's the "third-hand" info I was given. I was told that within the next two weeks, the NCAA -- not the conferences but the NCAA -- would announce the cancellation of the entire hockey season. Not a delay in the start to Jan. 1st, which is what all of the Div. III leagues and, I believe the Ivies have already announced, but an actual cancellation of the season. Now, to this point, it has been the individual conferences (BIG10, Pac-12, and the smaller conferences) that have chosen to halt sports until Jan. 1st, and not the NCAA. This begs the question, why would the NCAA now take the reins and make that type of determination, versus leaving it to the individual conferences? Still, as I said, I do trust my source and, in turn, his source. Obviously, we'll know in due time.

Next, let's move to the Junior level. I was told that the USHL would be delaying the start of their season until Nov. 1st. And, if the NCAA does actually cancel the entire Div. I & III seasons, I was told the USHL would then cancel its' entire season as well. I realize that all of that runs completely counter to everything the USHL has been saying. But, there may also be challenges arising with some of the cities who own some of the buildings their teams play in from the standpoint of either being told the team can only allow limited numbers of fans each game, which will drastically affect their bottom line. Or, the cities may choose to close the buildings completely for the season.

As for NAHL, apparently they had an emergency owners meeting this past Monday. At which their commissioner, Mark Frankenfeld, was adamant that the league would do everything in it's power to have a full season. Still, they have already postponed their big September Showcase in Blaine and, told it's teams that they won't be starting prior to either Nov. 1st or possibly Nov. 15th. Next, the other thing revealed during the meeting is that both Alaska teams, as well as the all of the teams in their Southern division are being forced to take the season off. Either due to being told they'll be limited to only 50 or less fans each night by their respective municipalities or, they simply won't be allowed to use their arenas at all. Also, for the Alaska teams, there may be some limitations on other teams coming in from other states and having to quarantine for 14 days. Again, that's some pretty significant info but, my sources feel strongly that it's true.

Although at this point the Elite League is planning to play, that could obviously change. Finally, I was told this afternoon by a completely different source, that the MSHSL has decided that they will make a final decision regarding winter sports on October 20th. That was apparently decided within the last couple of days. I will do my best to try and either confirm or deny everything I have stated here in the next few days. Regardless, for those like "HockeyCrazy", "InThePipes", and others, I will say again that just because all of the various camps, summer leagues, tournaments, and tryouts have been going forward has absolutely nothing to do with whether any of the various leagues will play this coming winter. Those responsible for making those decisions for those leagues don't give a rats rear end what happened during the summer. It's all about liability and whether the potential known (and not yet known) risks from Covid 19, outweigh the benefits of playing.

One other thing I learned today is that the main (and possibly only) reason why USA Hockey chose to sanction a normal game play season is essentially about money (I know, shocking). Both the potential loss in individual player, coach, team, and officials' registrations, as well as the fact that if they chose not to sanction a normal season, it would create chaos with all of the Junior leagues and private clubs around the country. Including the possibility that a number of the private hockey clubs might choose to register with the AAU which, apparently the USA Hockey brass were worried might not come back the following year. Personally, as interconnected as USA Hockey is with the various upper-level development tracks, I highly doubt those teams wouldn't rejoin USA Hockey next fall.

Oh, I almost forgot. One last thing. A little birdie told me tonight that, there is a long-tenured, extremely successful high school coach whose future at his current school may -- emphasis on MAY -- be in jeopardy. If this is true, it's extremely sad and unfortunate in my opinion. Apparently, just this past week, his players' parents began the process to pursue his removal. Why now and at this point in the year, I have yet to hear. But, I should be able to find out. I apologize but, that's all I'm comfortable saying at this moment.

Hey "wolfman"... If you're up, I hope you enjoy what I've written! :P
WOW POST OF THE YEAR hahaha

According to Wise Old Man Hockey is all gonna be cancelled in the USA .... Wow

His news on USHL is old they already announced this week Friday November 6th is opening night.

The NAHL keeps saying October but we will see...

Elite League is a full go so no worrying there.

The NCAA Hockey thing was well awesome and I guess we will see but highly doubt they cancel hockey yikes. I am hearing Thanksgiving time more likely from a source of a source....

Finally the one we care about the MSHSL yes they will wait to till mid October for Winter Sports.
Hockey will be played it just might be reduced by weeks and games.

What NCAA does has nothing to do with High School today in Iowa, Ohio, Nebraska, Penn (Against the Advice and Plea of the Dem Gov.) they will play football even thought NCAA made it deemed unsafe.

Great post WIse Old Man wow your sources wow

"ClassAGuy"....My sarcasm detector is going off like crazy. Not too surprising but...Thanks for the response. First, as to your apparently snarky comment regarding my "sources". Like I said, I trust them. Does it mean they're always 100% accurate? Or, will be this time? Nope. No guarantees. But hey, isn't prospecting in rumor and innuendo what a message board like this is all about? :wink: Also, I never claimed I was breaking any big stories with my USHL or NAHL info. Just passing along what I was told.

As for your info on NCAA Div. I starting around Thanksgiving, I've heard that as well. My guess is it will be somewhere in the middle of complete cancel and Thanksgiving. Meaning, probably Jan. 1, same as the D III leagues. However, I won't be surprised if it's the entire season.

You and others keep pointing out that other states are choosing to allow high school football to be played. Fair enough. However, allow me to provide some other counter examples besides the fact that the BIG10 and Pac-12 have postponed fall sports until Jan. 1. The following are links to articles outlining examples of other states/communities that have canceled sports:

https://football.dailyherald.com/sports ... -schoolers

https://www.d3sports.com/notables/2020/ ... f-for-fall
Basically, almost every Division III football conference has canceled their seasons...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/p ... 544824002/

https://www.therandolphleader.com/sport ... 0ba20.html

https://www.wsaz.com/2020/08/08/morehea ... ll-sports/

https://www.krem.com/article/news/healt ... 1757aba70a

https://abc3340.com/news/local/birmingh ... f-pandemic

https://www.maxpreps.com/news/ha3S_dWex ... states.htm

32 States Playing Fall High School Football / 17 States have delayed or moved fall football / Maine has yet to decide

My point being, both sides can play that game. Three months ago, the most important question about whether states should open up or, sports should play, is what the total number of unnecessary and preventable deaths that was acceptable to be able to open up or try to play. I'm not in the mood to go back and find the appropriate posts, BUT, even though almost none of you -- actually, I don't think any of you still have -- refused to provide an actual number, I was saying that it was still early in the Covid game and that the key was we didn't know what we didn't know.

Well, we obviously know a lot more now, don't we. Yet, most of you folks still point to deaths and hospitalizations as the only measurement regarding whether we should go back to sports or not. For the last couple weeks I've provided link after link to articles that clearly show there is evidence of a number of possible long-term health issues for those who become infected, many of which would qualify as disabilities for certain career fields. It's quite evident I'm not likely to convince any of you to come over to "our side". Regardless, I'm going to continue to fight the good fight. 8)
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

MLB has had many games cancelled or have to be rescheduled. Teams with many players falling ill! How will MSHSL deal with teams being infected and rescheduling. Does High school hockey have more measures in place or better safety measures? That’s my question.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:44 am Wise

Again, thanks for your thorough analysis and I respect your opinions and Im sure lots agree with you.

Thought I had tried to answer your questions, but i guessed I missed a couple. Ill do my best , to try to continue a respectful dialogue

YOUR QUESTION: Just curious -- serious question here -- are any of you currently serving in any type of youth or high school sports administrative leadership position?

NO, RETIRED. BUT I HAVE BEEN IN A "LEADERSHIP" POSITION OF KIDS AND GRANDKIDS IN HOCKEY FOR ALMOST 7 DECADES. AND ALSO HAVE HUNDREDS OF HOCKEY FRIENDS/FAMILIES FROM OVER THE DECADES ABOUT WHOM I CARE DEEPLY , BOTH IN TERMS OF THEIR HEALTH AND ALSO THEIR LOVE OF THE GAME AND THE BENEFITS OF SPORTS PARTICIPATION. I TRUST THE PARENTS HAVE BEEN WATCHING AND LEARNING ABOUT COVID THE LAST 6 MONTHS ON AND CAN DECIDE WHAT IS BEST FOR THEIR KIDS.

YOUR QUESTION: Next, what's your response/perspective in regards to the BIG10/Pac-12 choosing not to play fall sports due to the same potential medical concerns that the articles I provided lay out? As I stated last night, outside of the basic health of their athletes, those conferences/schools have a heckuva lot more to lose than than the MSHSL, So, if they're concerned enough to cancel, how do you defend putting even younger kids at risk?

DONT KNOW ABOUT THIS . BUT FACT THAT THE PAC 10/BIG 10 DECIDED NOT TO PLAY WHEN THE ACC/SEC DID DECIDE TO PLAY JUST SHOWS THE DIFFERING VIEW OF THE MEDICAL FACTS AND THE PATH FORWARD. JUST LIKE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM HAVE DIFFERENT OPINION. AND ALSO HOCKEY PARENTS. I RESPECT ALL THOSE DIFFERENCES.

Ill be over at Bantam Elite League Champsionship final today, with my mask like the governor ordered. (Up until then i just used it it at the entrance line,) Will see lots of fun hockey and visit with friends from 6 foot distance. The kids will love participating. Ive got faith that is all reasonable and OK right now, some of this has got to be based on leap of faith, right? Otherwise no one would ever leave the house?

"West"... First, thanks for your response, much appreciated. Next, thanks for volunteering and serving our youth. It's people like you that are the foundation of our community-based model. There's very few people that are willing to put that extra time and effort in. However, having been involved in this as long as I have, I'm not so sure I have the same level of faith in parents doing the right thing. Unfortunately, there are a very large number of parents that live vicariously through their son's and daughter's athletics and they often don't make good decisions regarding their children. :wink:

As for your answer to my question about the BIG10 & Pac-12 having postponed fall sports; not sure what you mean when you say you "don't know about this". Do you not know whether the info about the specific ailments I provided links to are accurate? Or, do you not know whether the uncertainty about the various maladies I mentioned were the primary reason they chose to postpone? If you read the articles I provided links to, I'm not sure one can honestly come to any other conclusion.

And yes, I agree that the the ACC, SEC, and Big-12 deciding to play certainly highlights the various differences of opinion regarding the facts that each conference's medical boards are looking at. It's also good that you respects people's rights to have differing opinions. However, if the evidence clearly proves the truth of one position over another, don't those who were on the opposite side of the debate from what the evidence proves is true, have an obligation to, at some point, admit they are wrong? :mrgreen: Anyways, thanks again for your response.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Wise Old Man, without forcing you into another novel, I just want to bring up that many doctors can’t even agree on the so called “facts” that you allude to being on your side. KFAN bumper to bumper show has a regular doctor from Mayo and he and another doctor they had on previously both stated that the “proof” of long term effects has been far from proven and things like the heart issues do need biopsies. These are two doctors who are very serious about Covid concerns and I think most people more skeptical of Covid severity would actually tend to call these doctors “alarmists.”

My point is your facts are far from it, especially regarding proof of long term health impacts.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Oh yes and to your question that nobody has answered yet about the number of preventable deaths that we are willing to accept, I think a fair answer would be: roughly the same number of “excess deaths” for medical related issues and excess serious health conditions compared to what we see in a normal time period. Are we there yet? Probably not quite. Though for the majority of age groups in the United States we aren’t that far off, and I think that’s a fair barometer to consider.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

My kid is a Sr this year in college. I hope I did not watch her last game but if I did I can live with it. My parents are old and they hope they did not watch her last hockey game but they can live with it. Covid sucks ass......
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 pm Oh yes and to your question that nobody has answered yet about the number of preventable deaths that we are willing to accept, I think a fair answer would be: roughly the same number of “excess deaths” for medical related issues and excess serious health conditions compared to what we see in a normal time period. Are we there yet? Probably not quite. Though for the majority of age groups in the United States we aren’t that far off, and I think that’s a fair barometer to consider.

HockeyGuy....I appreciate your response to the question about what the "acceptable" number of deaths might be. Both are fair ways to look at it. Still, as of this point, we have had approximately 200,000 excess deaths from March 1st thru July 25th. That means that deaths due to Covid are probably close to 215,000 by now. Almost all of those were preventable. At this point, for all types of death, none are significantly above their averages for the same time period.

As for your point about the other "Big Knocker" doc that Barreiro had on the other day; I listened to the entire interview. Obviously, anyone from Mayo deserves to be listened to and his rationale for his perspective seemed solid. That's why I continue to research that issue. However, if you actually read any of the other articles I linked to, you would see that we aren't just talking about myocarditis. There are 10 plus other maladies that they're finding in post-infection situations, including in many asymptomatic people. Again, I pray I'm wrong about all of this but, I think by the time we get to November 1st, there's not going to be much hockey being played.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Nothing you posted changed the facts. Many maladies are diseases of exclusion. Myocarditis has symptoms, to prove it is myocarditis takes a biopsy. Which is confirmed in your post. Every year some high school athlete in Minnesota seems to drop during practice due to an undiagnosed heart condition. Luckily we have defibrillators at nearly every facility now. Symptoms do no not mean a diagnosis. Not every sore throat is strep. Not every heart symptom is Myocarditis. They are only a tool to solving the diagnosis. CTE can only be confirmed in an autopsy, Alzheimer’s is a disease of exclusion. Myocarditis can only be confirmed through a biopsy. Again, have any of the 5 had a biopsy? Can any of the 5 be definitively be linked to complications of COVID-19? You chose to not answer that in your response.

Did these 5 football players already have a heart condition? We do not know. The Big Ten does have major research institutions. So do other
conferences; Duke, North Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Virginia, etc. The Mayo Clinic is in consultation with the SEC who is playing football.

I am the idiot for engaging with your political BS

There are long term effects from smoking, eating cured meats, commuting to work, living in Minnesota. Stress, lack of an education, genetics, and hundreds of other things.....what is your point? That government needs to regulate everything to save us from free will? Heart disease will kill far more Americans than COVID, 1 in 4 deaths in 2019 were due to heart disease according to the CDC.... far more school age kids will die of influenza than COVID.
Last edited by goldy313 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

Lee and Karl are the best ever.... thanks for letting us vent
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Wise Old Man wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:59 pm
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 pm Oh yes and to your question that nobody has answered yet about the number of preventable deaths that we are willing to accept, I think a fair answer would be: roughly the same number of “excess deaths” for medical related issues and excess serious health conditions compared to what we see in a normal time period. Are we there yet? Probably not quite. Though for the majority of age groups in the United States we aren’t that far off, and I think that’s a fair barometer to consider.

HockeyGuy....I appreciate your response to the question about what the "acceptable" number of deaths might be. Both are fair ways to look at it. Still, as of this point, we have had approximately 200,000 excess deaths from March 1st thru July 25th. That means that deaths due to Covid are probably close to 215,000 by now. Almost all of those were preventable. At this point, for all types of death, none are significantly above their averages for the same time period.
I actually think this line of discussion of what the point of acceptable death is for us to go back to “normal” is the most important and relevant thing we can discuss on here... barring it getting political.

We most certainly had an abundance of excess death this spring. We have excess death to a lesser extent but still do a degree this summer. I’d imagine for the sake of the discussion the best use of this metric would be to break it down into months or 2-4 week periods? Even regionally if discussing high school athletics, though there are fair points against that, and certainly you can’t look regionally for college athletics. It’s also important in doing this that we look at cause of excess death... ie avoiding lumping Covid and Covid-likely deaths with lockdown deaths including fear or delaying of seeking medical attention or suicide, etc.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:38 pm Nothing you posted changed the facts. Many maladies are diseases of exclusion. Myocarditis has symptoms, to prove it is myocarditis takes a biopsy. Which is confirmed in your post. Every year some high school athlete in Minnesota seems to drop during practice due to an undiagnosed heart condition. Luckily we have defibrillators at nearly every facility now. Symptoms do no not mean a diagnosis. Not every sore throat is strep. Not every heart symptom is Myocarditis. They are only a tool to solving the diagnosis. CTE can only be confirmed in an autopsy, Alzheimer’s is a disease of exclusion. Myocarditis can only be confirmed through a biopsy. Again, have any of the 5 had a biopsy? Can any of the 5 be definitively be linked to complications of COVID-19? You chose to not answer that in your response.

Did these 5 football players already have a heart condition? We do not know. The Big Ten does have major research institutions. So do other
conferences; Duke, North Carolina, Stanford, UCLA, Virginia, etc. The Mayo Clinic is in consultation with the SEC who is playing football.

I am the idiot for engaging with your political BS

There are long term effects from smoking, eating cured meats, commuting to work, living in Minnesota. Stress, lack of an education, genetics, and hundreds of other things.....what is your point? That government needs to regulate everything to save us from free will? Heart disease will kill far more Americans than COVID, 1 in 4 deaths in 2019 were due to heart disease according to the CDC.... far more school age kids will die of influenza than COVID.

Goldy....sorry if I hit a nerve. First, it wasn't 5 kids it was 10 that was quoted. Next, What specifically is my "political B.S.?"....On second though, don't answer that question. Lee and Karl will have the thread closed before you even hit "submit" :mrgreen: You seem pretty comfortable with dismissing the lung scarring that's being found in a fairly high percentage of individuals. Not to mention the myriad of other post infection complications. From the Science magazine article I linked to above;

"The list of lingering maladies from COVID-19 is longer and more varied than most doctors could have imagined. Ongoing problems include fatigue, a racing heartbeat, shortness of breath, achy joints, foggy thinking, a persistent loss of sense of smell, and damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and brain."

"At the same time, the sheer breadth of complications linked to COVID-19 is mind-boggling. In late April, Akrami collaborated with Body Politic, a group of COVID-19 survivors, to survey more than 600 who still had symptoms after 2 weeks. She logged 62 different symptoms and is now readying the findings for publication and developing a second survey to capture longer term ailments. “Even though it’s one virus, it can cause all different kinds of diseases in people,” says Akiko Iwasaki, an immunologist at Yale University who is studying lingering effects on the immune system."

Next, you seem pretty confident that the flu will kill more kids than Covid. The CDC estimates that between 37 and 187 kids die of flu each year. So let's call it 100 a year. First, that's just an estimate and, you do realize that numerous doctors question the method by which the CDC determines its' estimates of annual flu deaths. Many believe we've never actually had more than 10,000 people actually die of flu on any given year. If accurate, that means probably less than 50 kids die of flu each year. According to this article from August 11th, we've already had 90 kids die from Covid 19 -- in just under 7 months. It sure seems that deaths from Covid in kids will probably pass the 100 average the CDC has for flu.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/health/c ... index.html

And yes, in the reading I've done it is obvious that the gold standard for diagnosing myocarditis is a biopsy. However, almost every other cardiologist says that a cardiac MRI is a very close second. Also, although I respect the opinion of Dr. Ackerman from the Mayo, I offer an article from today's New York Times that covers the issue of myocarditis and it's role in whether football is being played or not at the Power 5 level. I'll link the article and then provide portions I find interesting...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/23/spor ... virus.html

"Dr. Curt Daniels, the director of sports cardiology at Ohio State, had also been busy, working to publish a three-month study whose preliminary findings were presented to Pac-12 and Big Ten leaders before they shut down football earlier this month. Daniels said that cardiac M.R.I.s, an expensive and sparingly used tool, revealed an alarmingly high rate of myocarditis — heart inflammation that can lead to cardiac arrest with exertion — among college athletes who had recovered from the coronavirus."

"The survey found myocarditis in close to 15 percent of athletes who had the virus, almost all of whom experienced mild or no symptoms, Daniels added, perhaps shedding more light on the uncertainties about the short- and long-term effects the virus may have on athletes."

Those who have pushed toward playing have done so with little or no public health justification, and despite widespread pronouncements earlier this year that if students could not sit in classrooms, they could not play sports.

That schism may help explain why Dr. Michael Ackerman, a cardiovascular genomics research professor at the Mayo Clinic, ended up on a Zoom call earlier this month with Big 12 presidents, athletic directors and their medical advisory group, and then a day later on a similar call for Conference U.S.A.

Ackerman believes myocarditis is being portrayed as “the boogeyman,” and he has criticized experts giving weight to a German study that showed that 60 of 100 patients who had recovered from the coronavirus had signs of myocarditis, saying the patients were middle-aged and not in the peak physical condition of college athletes. He also decried Colleen Kraft, an infectious disease doctor at Emory University who is an adviser to the N.C.A.A., characterizing her as an alarmist for saying that disregarding concerns about myocarditis was “playing with fire.” "Is this a blaze that’s out of control that’s wreaking havoc, or a campfire roasting marshmallows?” Ackerman said in an interview

Ackerman’s position is outside the mainstream of the dozens of doctors who are advising university presidents and the N.C.A.A. on their decision. “I’m used to swimming upstream,” he said

When asked by The New York Times if he could check his email for the athletic director’s name, Ackerman later replied that it was instead a Big 12 official. Asked for the name of the official, Ackerman said on Friday that the invitation had come through his secretary and that she was not working that day. The University of Arizona’s president, Robert C. Robbins, a cardiac surgeon, shrugged off Ackerman’s characterization of the evidence as “wimpy, wobbly, weak,” saying it was best to err on the side of caution. He said it would be wise to monitor how professional sports leagues are screening their players for virus-related heart problems, and see where more data leads. “Maybe it will turn out that Dr. Ackerman is right, that this is something that will turn out to not be a big problem,” he said.

Watching from afar has been Daniels, the Ohio State cardiologist. The primary tests for myocarditis are an echocardiogram (an ultrasound), an electrocardiogram (which records the heart’s electric signals) and a blood test that measures a protein that is excreted when the heart muscle is damaged. But Daniels said a cardiac M.R.I., which he called the gold standard of testing for myocarditis, might reveal the condition when the other tests do not, though there are occasional false positives. “It’s as close as we can get to a heart biopsy without doing one,” he said.

In my opinion, this article highlights the fact that the three Power 5 conferences that have decided to play aren't being completely transparent about their justifications for playing from a medical standpoint. Yes, the BIG10 hasn't been as clear on their messaging for not playing from a medical standpoint as they should be. Although, it sounds like they'll be releasing more info soon. As for Dr. Ackerman's opinions, it's interesting that he seems to be alone in his opinion of how concerning the myocarditis might be. But, you don't get hired at Mayo if you aren't qualified. So, to Goldy and others who seem so willing to downplay the post infection ailments, if Dr. Daniels is accurate and that as much as 15% of the athletes who've had Covid are showing significant signs of myocarditis, isn't that a big enough issue in your minds to cancel sports? To me, that's way too high a percentage to be risking our childrens' health.

Finally...Goldy, back to your "political" comment. All, I'll say is that, especially in deference to Lee and Karl's directions, I haven't made any reference to any political aspect of this discussion in this thread or even recently in the previous ones. I think the rest of those who are commenting here would agree. Anyways, looking forward to everyone's reactions to what I've presented.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Another novel by WOM
Play Like a Champion Today
jg2112

Post by jg2112 »

If everyone would please just wear a mask, keep socially distant when possible, and isolate when displaying symptoms, the kids will get a winter hockey season.

It appears the whole point of the response the past 6 months was to monetize and politicize, instead of minimize. Let's all be smart and move on. Together.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

jg2112 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:24 pm If everyone would please just wear a mask, keep socially distant when possible, and isolate when displaying symptoms, the kids will get a winter hockey season.

It appears the whole point of the response the past 6 months was to monetize and politicize, instead of minimize. Let's all be smart and move on. Together.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

blueblood wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:59 pm Another novel by WOM
blueblood.... The devil is in the details... Is that short enough for you? 8)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:13 pm
Are you saying you are the devil?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Schotzy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am
jg2112 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:24 pm If everyone would please just wear a mask, keep socially distant when possible, and isolate when displaying symptoms, the kids will get a winter hockey season.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Tom Hauser today asked Jan Malcolm why counts are relatively stable a month after mask mandate , rather than falling counts . See his twitter with her answer below :

https://twitter.com/thauserkstp/status/ ... 83301?s=21

I’m dutifully wearing my mask at the rinks . But I can’t help but adjust it a lot over and hour or two , so I Know I touch my face way more than I otherwise would . I see a lot of people doing same thing. Also , I still see unrelated people not social distancing , even at a big rink, I wonder if mask gives a false sense of security for some to sit too close ?

So I’m frankly not sure about masks , but Yes to keep going forward with the season

In talking with many people at Bantam Elite League , consensus seems to be that Hockey will be played in one league or the other. Governor will be very reluctant to Re shut down all rinks after allowing Them to reopen. I also talkED to people that suggested that parents would be willing to pay for quick response regular testing thru their teams fees.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

WOM:

In the age of 140 characters, your posts are long, but thorough.
Play Like a Champion Today
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

blueblood wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:03 pm WOM:

In the age of 140 characters, your posts are long, but thorough.

🤣

Well we do manage 140 when we are tweeting! Follow us on Twitter: @FabFiveHockeyf1. Just started at the State Tournament in March , thanks to Loren Nelson . We are old , but never to late to get started I guess!
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:13 pm

Wellllllllll.... :wink:
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:50 pm
Schotzy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:49 am

THANK YOU!!!!!

Tom Hauser today asked Jan Malcolm why counts are relatively stable a month after mask mandate , rather than falling counts . See his twitter with her answer below :

https://twitter.com/thauserkstp/status/ ... 83301?s=21

I’m dutifully wearing my mask at the rinks . But I can’t help but adjust it a lot over and hour or two , so I Know I touch my face way more than I otherwise would . I see a lot of people doing same thing. Also , I still see unrelated people not social distancing , even at a big rink, I wonder if mask gives a false sense of security for some to sit too close ?

So I’m frankly not sure about masks , but Yes to keep going forward with the season

In talking with many people at Bantam Elite League , consensus seems to be that Hockey will be played in one league or the other. Governor will be very reluctant to Re shut down all rinks after allowing Them to reopen. I also talkED to people that suggested that parents would be willing to pay for quick response regular testing thru their teams fees.
"West".... I actually agree with much of your concerns relating to the wearing of masks. However, there is a lot of recent research that sure seems to indicate they definitely reduce the incidence of spread. As for quick tests, I'm sure most of the parents of the kids involved in the Bantam Elite groups would be interested in spending that money for quick testing. However, outside of that smaller percentage of traveling level player, I'm not as confident the other 60-70% of an association's parents would be willing to do so. Especially at the youth levels. Plus, who would be responsible for setting up that testing regimen -- setting up the local testing agency, ensuring the turnaround time is as advertised, and, finding a mechanism whereby a medical entity will share individual testing results with the association considering medical provider's HIPAA responsibilities? Because, unless the association can validate each player's test results after each test, how is the association to know the that what the parents are telling them is true or not?

I am encouraged by the potential of the new saliva quick test that's been developed by Yale University and in conjunction with the NBA's Player Union. Based on an interview I heard over the weekend, its' developers claim it has a 100% sensitivity rate (if it says you're positive it's accurate every single time) and, it has a specificity rate of 90% (if it says you're negative it's accurate 9 out of 10 times). I think I've got that right :? Anyways, that test will probably sell for between $15 and $20. Much cheaper than any of the others. Still, due to the HIPAA challenges, I'm not sure how youth associations or high schools can mandate any type of testing program.
Wise Old Man

Post by Wise Old Man »

"Elliott"... actually, I think YOU might be the Devil... you have REALLY been holding out on us regarding this topic/title of the thread. :shock: :mrgreen:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Wise Old Man wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:34 am

"Elliott"... actually, I think YOU might be the Devil... you have REALLY been holding out on us regarding this topic/title of the thread. :shock: :mrgreen:
I have been called worse.
Minnesota Hockey has no intention of taking over high school hockey.
If MSHSL decides not to have high school hockey players can certainly sign up for junior gold. Midget and other programs will most likely not be offered as we have a program to accommodate kids with Jr Gold A and B levels and U16 if needed.
What I have been told MSHSL league hockey will be played with certain restrictions and a wait and see what happens with play-offs, state tournament.

Still the devil?