BHS Hockey Podcast - Turning Points

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

blueblood

Re: BHS Hockey Podcast - Turning Points

Post by blueblood »

interesting choice of MNHS schools OTC. Any reason why you picked those three?
Play Like a Champion Today
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

O-townClown wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:13 pm Your comment makes me think an annual event with some New England Prep schools and top Minnesota HS teams would be fun. I know it's been done before and there are some big obstacles. Avon Old Farms, Salisbury, and Kimball Union each season facing traditional powers here like Hill-Murray, Eden Prairie, and Hermantown would serve as a reminder that Minnesota HS hockey remains very good.
That would be fun, and quite the special event. I vaguely recall a holiday tournament at the Met Center (mid-80s?) pitting a few of the top MN teams against their Mass. counterparts, Catholic Memorial being one of them. I’m not sure the MN high school teams would fare well against the prep teams, in part due to age differences, but I would enjoy being proven wrong.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

blueblood wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:01 pm interesting choice of MNHS schools OTC. Any reason why you picked those three?
Mainly consistency. Schedules are done a little in advance so schools I’d choose would be good all the time. And variety.

Suburban power like EP or Edina
Private Metro school like H-M or BSM
Northern school like H’town or Rapids

It would fall on the AD that took the lead. Bud Bjerken was behind the Met Center games in the mid-80s getting H-M in the field with Edina (they seldom ran into each other at state) and national teams like Culver and Central Catholic.
Be kind. Rewind.