2010 Tourney in Retrospect

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

2010 Tourney in Retrospect

Post by karl(east) »

For the past couple years I've been writing up looks back at the State Tournament that took place ten years prior to the current year. It's interesting to look back on these teams with some added distance to see if the talent they had actually had matched our perceptions at the time, and how those results fit in to broader trends. I was slow in getting out the 2010 edition this season, but it was a welcome way to spend a cooped-up Saturday yesterday. Here it is:

https://apatientcycle.com/?p=4874
Brodziak Fan Club

Re: 2010 Tourney in Retrospect

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Great job, as always Karl.

This inspired me to create my Turning Points thread - with the 2010 game at Braemar between Minnetonka and Edina acting as the catalyst for the Hornets' 2010 championship run.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

And it was the catalyst for mine as well. Interesting that they both involve the same teams....
Play Like a Champion Today
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

They have had many fun, significant battles over the years!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

I'm surprised, I have absolutely no recollection of Hill drawing DE in the quarterfinals. I'm sure it's because of the epic semifinal that followed.

One thing I recall is something the Tonka coach said. He said that they didn't let the kids sleep too late on Saturday morning, because they "didn't want them to be too tired."Huh?

Now, that just seemed crazy to me, then & now. We know that teens' body clocks are different, it's easier for them to stay awake later & natural for them to sleep later. Some high schools have adjusted start times for this.

Maybe it wouldn't have made a difference had they slept in longer. But it sure looked like it wouldn't have hurt. It was a pretty boring final. I can't recall the coaches name, but he was fairly inexperienced at that level. I think a good 1/3 to 1/2 of tournament success is related to head coaching experience there.
Hockey Is For Everyone