Moorhead Spuds and Moorhead

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Moorhead Spuds and Moorhead

Post by kniven »

I just might be relocating to Moorhead for work. I will probably be driving to Moorhead in the next few weeks to look around. Any recommendations for a nice place to stay. And, I really want to check out the high school hockey facilities.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
defense

Re: Moorhead Spuds and Moorhead

Post by defense »

They have some very nice hockey facilities. Especially for the age of the sport center. Impressive building
Otter Hockey Rocks
kniven

Post by kniven »

defense wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:15 pm They have some very nice hockey facilities. Especially for the age of the sport center. Impressive building
I’m really excited to see the town and the epicenter of Moorhead Spuds high school hockey!
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

You trying to get Moorhead to move down to single A? Good luck. They like to compete against the elites your attitude won’t work there. Stay in Cloquet
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

StanleyCup55 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:39 am You trying to get Moorhead to move down to single A? Good luck. They like to compete against the elites your attitude won’t work there. Stay in Cloquet
Excellent post!! :D
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

You see Moorhead has ethics and integrity. They know they don’t belong in class A. Hermantown maybe you could learn from them, Roseau, Moorhead, BSM, Blake, and others who decided to have integrity.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:14 pm You see Moorhead has ethics and integrity. They know they don’t belong in class A. Hermantown maybe you could learn from them, Roseau, Moorhead, BSM, Blake, and others who decided to have integrity.
Regardless if the Spud people have integrity which I don't doubt... they couldn't be in class A.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

But why would they play class A. They know that would be like playing D3 playoffs when you know you could compete in D1 hockey. It would be like playing a small school tourney when you know you can compete and beat the class AA tourney. Unlike some who just do the status quo, or who ride the old ugly donkey(you know which school I refer to) to a class A championship.
Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 »

kniven wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:10 pm I just might be relocating to Moorhead for work. I will probably be driving to Moorhead in the next few weeks to look around. Any recommendations for a nice place to stay. And, I really want to check out the high school hockey facilities.
Courtyard by Marriott in South Moorhead by I94, which will provide easy access to the Cullen Facility and Sports Center. Fargo, also has some nice hotels.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

Some schools know they can compete with class A and make the move. Blake, St Thomas, Moorhead, Roseau, Torino Grace. Some of these schools didn’t even win a class A c-chip but want to play in the big boys tourney. Heck Mahtomedi has even talked about moving up in articles this year. What the heck is Herm(Ely,Virginia, Proctor, Denfeld)town waiting for!
defense

Post by defense »

Point is, one team in your lis not like the others. Moorhead never played class A, or tier 2. Even if they wanted to, they couldn't. Their school is and has been too big. The rest are small enough and did play class A. Kind of an aside, but Roseau couldn't get through in class A, interesting side note no other point.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

But these teams played class A hockey had success and then moved up when they outgrew class A hockey. They realized they didn’t belong in class A. BSM,TG, Blake, and evening Mahtomedi has been talking about moving up even before the radon started. Teams have built their program then make the move. No Moorhead hasn’t played class A. They would never play class A hockey because they can compete with class AA. Just like Roseau and some others who even opt up! You know there is a option to do that, right Hermantown fans. Like Scott Pionk brought up way back in 2017 at your hockey meetings and brought other smart hockey guys who get it. They outgrew class A. Hermantown enrollment hasn’t outgrown but they have outtransfered class A,
defense

Post by defense »

Hunters1993 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:59 am But these teams played class A hockey had success and then moved up when they outgrew class A hockey. They realized they didn’t belong in class A. BSM,TG, Blake, and evening Mahtomedi has been talking about moving up even before the radon started. Teams have built their program then make the move. No Moorhead hasn’t played class A. They would never play class A hockey because they can compete with class AA. Just like Roseau and some others who even opt up! You know there is a option to do that, right Hermantown fans. Like Scott Pionk brought up way back in 2017 at your hockey meetings and brought other smart hockey guys who get it. They outgrew class A. Hermantown enrollment hasn’t outgrown but they have outtransfered class A,
I think class A hockey has evolved. In a good way.
Initially class A was indeed exactly what a lot of people on here want it to be. This board is not the majority of hockey programs and people though. Initially it seemed that if a program even had aspirations of a section championship in the single class format one in ten years they were more likely to be in AA. Now, that ain't the case. Handfuls of teams have moved back to class A and without much comment.
Otter Hockey Rocks
HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 »

Hunters1993 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:59 am But these teams played class A hockey had success and then moved up when they outgrew class A hockey. They realized they didn’t belong in class A. BSM,TG, Blake, and evening Mahtomedi has been talking about moving up even before the radon started. Teams have built their program then make the move. No Moorhead hasn’t played class A. They would never play class A hockey because they can compete with class AA. Just like Roseau and some others who even opt up! You know there is a option to do that, right Hermantown fans. Like Scott Pionk brought up way back in 2017 at your hockey meetings and brought other smart hockey guys who get it. They outgrew class A. Hermantown enrollment hasn’t outgrown but they have outtransfered class A,
I think you're missing the point that others are trying to make...Moorhead's enrollment is too high for class A...THEY DO NOT OPT UP TO AA.

The others on your list do, and that's commendable, but throwing the Spuds in doesn't make sense.
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

There was a previous discussion of Moorhead wouldn’t play class A hockey ever. Even if they could.

And other programs have climbed the class A hockey mountain and have opted to take up a new more difficult challenge, very commendable indeed!