7AA 2020-2021

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by kniven » Fri May 15, 2020 5:05 pm

A two stallion race in 7AA. I think Grand Rapids obvious favorite but Andover very talented.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

grindiangrad-80
Posts: 2484
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:00 pm

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 am

norcon wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am
kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
😳😳😳😳


I am wondering what changed from your post on April 4th to make GR the obvious favorite now?

Bigcat99
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:26 am

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by Bigcat99 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:14 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 am
norcon wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am
kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
😳😳😳😳


I am wondering what changed from your post on April 4th to make GR the obvious favorite now?
Knevin heard about the Finn goalie... dammit!
It is what it is!

Stang5280
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by Stang5280 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm

kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
Not an accurate statement. ER’s numbers have been dwindling over the past several years. At the Bantam and PeeWee levels they have AA, B1, and two B2 teams, which pales in comparison to most of their metro peers. The Bantam AA teams have not been very good the last few seasons, either, so the high end talent is starting to dry up as well.

Fightinghawklover
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by Fightinghawklover » Sat May 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm
kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
Not an accurate statement. ER’s numbers have been dwindling over the past several years. At the Bantam and PeeWee levels they have AA, B1, and two B2 teams, which pales in comparison to most of their metro peers. The Bantam AA teams have not been very good the last few seasons, either, so the high end talent is starting to dry up as well.
Elks numbers haven't really changed over the years at the bantam level, they typically have four teams with an occasional year five but having five doesn't happen very often and hasn't the last 5-6 years. The difference is the talent level, in previous years the HS team would have more than a handful of talented players last year they had less than that. Moving forward they have don't have that many either but there are several kids who improved last season and if they continue to do so you never know what happens in a one and done scenario (sections playoff). They proved that last year by reaching the section finals. I do agree that Andover and GR are the top two teams in this section but it all depends on how each team is playing come playoff time. Hopefully we get to find out net season! Stay healthy everyone!!

Stang5280
Posts: 1266
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by Stang5280 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:32 pm

Fightinghawklover wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:30 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm
kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
Not an accurate statement. ER’s numbers have been dwindling over the past several years. At the Bantam and PeeWee levels they have AA, B1, and two B2 teams, which pales in comparison to most of their metro peers. The Bantam AA teams have not been very good the last few seasons, either, so the high end talent is starting to dry up as well.
Elks numbers haven't really changed over the years at the bantam level, they typically have four teams with an occasional year five but having five doesn't happen very often and hasn't the last 5-6 years. The difference is the talent level, in previous years the HS team would have more than a handful of talented players last year they had less than that. Moving forward they have don't have that many either but there are several kids who improved last season and if they continue to do so you never know what happens in a one and done scenario (sections playoff). They proved that last year by reaching the section finals. I do agree that Andover and GR are the top two teams in this section but it all depends on how each team is playing come playoff time. Hopefully we get to find out net season! Stay healthy everyone!!
Good to hear that the recent numbers have been stable. I’m guessing that the decline I was told about was in comparison to the Elks’ heyday 10 to 20 years ago. If I recall correctly, there was talk on the board that ER only had about 40 players at high school tryouts last year. In any event, it’s tough to compete with juggernauts like Andover and Maple Grove without developing some high end talent, as you suggested. ER still has been able to do that, and hopefully for their sake they can keep it up.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by kniven » Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 pm

Bigcat99 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:14 pm
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 am
norcon wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am

😳😳😳😳


I am wondering what changed from your post on April 4th to make GR the obvious favorite now?
Knevin heard about the Finn goalie... dammit!
Finn goalie? 😮
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by kniven » Sat May 16, 2020 3:30 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:38 pm
kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
Not an accurate statement. ER’s numbers have been dwindling over the past several years. At the Bantam and PeeWee levels they have AA, B1, and two B2 teams, which pales in comparison to most of their metro peers. The Bantam AA teams have not been very good the last few seasons, either, so the high end talent is starting to dry up as well.
😯. That’s too bad. You think they will eventually crawl out of it and return to being an annual power? It seems football has become the sport of choice in Elk River. Andover looks to have the talent and depth in its youth hockey on both the boys and girls end.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

norcon
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by norcon » Mon May 18, 2020 4:52 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 am
norcon wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am
kniven wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:07 pm
Andover is going to rule 7AA again next winter with their depth. No team will have their quality depth top to bottom. It seems Duluth East will be all sophomores and a couple 8th graders with the talent. Rapids won’t be deep and no returning netminder. Elk has numbers and new rink next winter.
😳😳😳😳


I am wondering what changed from your post on April 4th to make GR the obvious favorite now?
I don’t know how Kniven comes up with these assertions. For one thing, Andover graduated 15 seniors. I imagine East and ER will be pretty solid. I’d like to see the Jacks in the mix, but I don’t see that happening. Rapids will have three solid forward lines and maybe the best defensive corps in the state, led by next seasons Mr. Hockey, Jack Peart. He’s coming back! Seven players in last falls elite league. Mostly underclassmen. Goaltending is a question mark, but there are some decent candidates. Just hope we have a season.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by kniven » Mon May 18, 2020 7:41 pm

This was suppose to be the last year of a talented bunch of pucksters for CEC. Langenbrunner left though last year and Galatz will or won’t be back. Solid goaltending, an elite defenseman, and a decent top line. The boys in purple will give it their all, though. Coach Walters and his staff will have their best year with the boys. Split with Duluth East and get a home playoff game 🤓👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

norcon
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by norcon » Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 pm

kniven wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:41 pm
This was suppose to be the last year of a talented bunch of pucksters for CEC. Langenbrunner left though last year and Galatz will or won’t be back. Solid goaltending, an elite defenseman, and a decent top line. The boys in purple will give it their all, though. Coach Walters and his staff will have their best year with the boys. Split with Duluth East and get a home playoff game 🤓👍
I’ve always liked and respected the purple. Hope they stay relevant.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by kniven » Thu May 21, 2020 2:54 pm

norcon wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:28 pm
kniven wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:41 pm
This was suppose to be the last year of a talented bunch of pucksters for CEC. Langenbrunner left though last year and Galatz will or won’t be back. Solid goaltending, an elite defenseman, and a decent top line. The boys in purple will give it their all, though. Coach Walters and his staff will have their best year with the boys. Split with Duluth East and get a home playoff game 🤓👍
I’ve always liked and respected the purple. Hope they stay relevant.
Thanks, Norco :)
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

MWS coach
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by MWS coach » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm

It's September and this thread has been non existent

Is Rapids still the preseason favorite?

Dover lost a lot but had very strong JV team with some incoming players, do they get back to the top by season end?

Never can count out East, although may be another "down" year by east standards, which is still better then most programs.

Lumberjacks, is there much gas left in the tank, is it half full or half empty?

Elks lost top scorers, but should have better depth with returning jr's and soph's/freshman from last years team. Will they find enough scoring to return to section title game?

Flake got a high seed, but does their schedule prepare them come section time?

Just some random thoughts to spark a conversation not related to topic not to be mentioned. Let's just assume full season without any mention of the "C" word!

Usthockey13
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by Usthockey13 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm
It's September and this thread has been non existent

Is Rapids still the preseason favorite?

Dover lost a lot but had very strong JV team with some incoming players, do they get back to the top by season end?

Never can count out East, although may be another "down" year by east standards, which is still better then most programs.

Lumberjacks, is there much gas left in the tank, is it half full or half empty?

Elks lost top scorers, but should have better depth with returning jr's and soph's/freshman from last years team. Will they find enough scoring to return to section title game?

Flake got a high seed, but does their schedule prepare them come section time?

Just some random thoughts to spark a conversation not related to topic not to be mentioned. Let's just assume full season without any mention of the "C" word!
Yes Rapids would still be numnber 1 preseason fav

Andover will be good not great with the size of their program and good coaching

East I believe will be down for one more season ( in their standards) their incoming freshman/soph class is where the talent is.

Jacks will be ok they have a good goalie but sounds like they are losing Galatz to either Wilderness or Htown

Elk will be good they were young and had some good talent there

flake I think will drop off not sure what they have coming up from JV or bantam

Fightinghawklover
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Re: 7AA 2020-2021

Post by Fightinghawklover » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:01 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:19 pm
MWS coach wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm
It's September and this thread has been non existent

Is Rapids still the preseason favorite?

Dover lost a lot but had very strong JV team with some incoming players, do they get back to the top by season end?

Never can count out East, although may be another "down" year by east standards, which is still better then most programs.

Lumberjacks, is there much gas left in the tank, is it half full or half empty?

Elks lost top scorers, but should have better depth with returning jr's and soph's/freshman from last years team. Will they find enough scoring to return to section title game?

Flake got a high seed, but does their schedule prepare them come section time?

Just some random thoughts to spark a conversation not related to topic not to be mentioned. Let's just assume full season without any mention of the "C" word!
Yes Rapids would still be numnber 1 preseason fav

Andover will be good not great with the size of their program and good coaching

East I believe will be down for one more season ( in their standards) their incoming freshman/soph class is where the talent is.

Jacks will be ok they have a good goalie but sounds like they are losing Galatz to either Wilderness or Htown

Elk will be good they were young and had some good talent there

flake I think will drop off not sure what they have coming up from JV or bantam
Rapids are the pre season favorite but not by that much

Huskies are nipping at their heals

Elks will be better then last year with the young guys getting better, keep an eye on the 10th grader Cayden Casey

East and Cloquet will finish in the lower half

FL lost to much and not much coming in to replace.

I hope we get to watch it play out with a FULL season!!

Post Reply