Biggest Tourney upsets

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Re: Biggest Tourney upsets

Post by goldy313 »

xy wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:25 pm It's 8 years ago so all our memories differ, and I don't for a second dispute that East would have won a multi-game series, probably easily, but my recollection is that the Lakeville South-Duluth East game in 2012 wasn't really dominated by East. Shots were only 27-22 in their favor. South had played them very close in a scrimmage earlier that year, and for some reason matched up well with them. South had to play a pretty much perfect game to win, but give them credit for doing that.

Thank you, I knew the game was much closer than what is being represented here, East had a total of 12 shots in the second and third period combined. It was really a 2-1 game, South got an empty net goal to make it 3-1, East scored with about 10 seconds left to make it 3-2.

It still was an upset, no doubt but it wasn’t because of hot goalie or fluke goal. South outplayed East for the last two periods.
hm88

Post by hm88 »

Perhaps 2008 HM over Roseau deserves mentioning? (I may be biased, but at the time did not think that Hill team stood a chance against that Roseau team) Hill beat them in the semis ending a 42 (estimate) game winning streak for Roseau dating back to the previous season. That victory propelled them to their 3rd state title.
Last edited by hm88 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Goldy -That’s how I remember it . And Kloos was on the ice about 80% of the time , dont know how he did it . I think the kid may still hold the modern era career scoring record among top 20 comparable 2A teams , Malmquist might have come close
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Yeah that’s a good one too Hm88

Lechs last title before Sat nite

I remembered Rams we’re undefeated , didn’t realize how far back into previous season , that was their championship year, right?
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

ndirishfighting wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 pm ???Greenway over EP???

???Greenway over Mahtomedi???
THEY’RE kids NOT PROFESSIONALS.
It’s just a game.
Last edited by WarmUpTheBus on Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WestMetro wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 pm Yeah that’s a good one too Hm88

I remembered Rams we’re undefeated , didn’t realize how far back into previous season , that was their championship year, right?
I still remember one of the kids in the Hill section, during the Roseau game, had a sign "42-1". Still cracks me up 'til this day.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hilarious ! That’s pretty good modern math , credit to those HM teachers
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Sparlimb wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:32 pm
WestMetro wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:14 pm Yeah that’s a good one too Hm88

I still remember one of the kids in the Hill section, during the Roseau game, had a sign "42-1". Still cracks me up 'til this day.
You can’t post that and not explain it.......it is like a hottest news anchor thread with no pictures......
WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 »

There are too many "upsets" to count for my favorite team.

I think the one that stands out to me most recently would be 2005 when WBL, led by Ryan Braun and David Grun got upended by unranked Duluth East.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WBLPuck99 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:58 am There are too many "upsets" to count for my favorite team.

I think the one that stands out to me most recently would be 2005 when WBL, led by Ryan Braun and David Grun got upended by unranked Duluth East.
Fond memories of that one! East had no business winning that game, but Chris Sall stood on his head in goal and they hung around and popped two quick ones in the 3rd. At some point I remember looking back over most of WBL's quarterfinal losses and noting that few of them were really unexpected, but that one was definitely an upset.

On a less fun note, those remembering 2012 are correct that East did not dominate that game, especially as it wore on. They started out fine but seemed to fold up after one power play where they had a goal (correctly) waved off. It was absolutely exasperating to watch, as they looked nothing like the team that had been steamrolling other top teams around Christmas. Everything just seemed flat. Some combination of nerves and pressure, a smart gameplan from South, and perhaps too conservative a scheme had them looking shockingly ordinary. By the end Randolph was pulling every trick out of the hat trying to turn the tide, but it seemed like the damage had been done.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I’m going to butcher this, and perhaps someone with a better recollection can tell it more accurately.

2010-2011 season, MN Hockey Hub did a four part series titled Becoming a Pioneer. I remember thinking that was a really cool, in-depth look at a program (and something they should do every year with a different team IMO). If I recall, Hill was ranked #1, or top 3, all year. And that year Hill was upset in the section finals by WBL. In double OT. The last part of that series was about the loss and falling short of your goals, etc. I remember thinking later that series really jinxed us and they had probably had to re-write the finale instead of talking about Hill making it to State and chasing a title.

Side note about that year. WBL beat Stillwater in OT in the section semis. Then beat Hill in double OT in the section final. Then lost in double OT at State in the quarterfinals. Then won in triple OT in the consolation bracket, then lost in double OT in the consolation championship. Or something like that. I just remember that their last 5 games played all went to OT, and their last 4 went to multiple OTs. Crazy.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:58 pm I’m going to butcher this, and perhaps someone with a better recollection can tell it more accurately.

2010-2011 season, MN Hockey Hub did a four part series titled Becoming a Pioneer. I remember thinking that was a really cool, in-depth look at a program (and something they should do every year with a different team IMO). If I recall, Hill was ranked #1, or top 3, all year. And that year Hill was upset in the section finals by WBL. In double OT. The last part of that series was about the loss and falling short of your goals, etc. I remember thinking later that series really jinxed us and they had probably had to re-write the finale instead of talking about Hill making it to State and chasing a title.

Side note about that year. WBL beat Stillwater in OT in the section semis. Then beat Hill in double OT in the section final. Then lost in double OT at State in the quarterfinals. Then won in triple OT in the consolation bracket, then lost in double OT in the consolation championship. Or something like that. I just remember that their last 5 games played all went to OT, and their last 4 went to multiple OTs. Crazy.
I wish the Hub still had that content up, it would be a cool time capsule.

I think they were #1 all year long, and no one was expecting the state run from the bears.

In some ways, the bears had a chance to repay duluth east for 2005, as in this tournament, duluth east was the heavy favorite. White Bear actually almost won it in the overtime on one of the oddest plays I've seen. Brandon Wahlin tossed a clear down from inside the bears zone and it was a bouncing puck. It was right on net and took a hop just before the crease and changed directions. Jeanneta (sp?) for duluth east had to kick his bad out just in time or the puck was going to go in.

It was a lot like the one we saw Koepple have a hard time with against STA, just was from the other end.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Tonka (26-1 during the season and I believe 10 Div I recruits) went 2-1 vs. Edina (17-6) during the season including a 7-1 decision in January. Sadly the 4-OT game the night before vs. Hill-Murray and a godawful start to the 1st period got the best of them.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WBLPuck99 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:25 am
BlueLineSpecial wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:58 pm I’m going to butcher this, and perhaps someone with a better recollection can tell it more accurately.

I wish the Hub still had that content up, it would be a cool time capsule.

I think they were #1 all year long, and no one was expecting the state run from the bears.

In some ways, the bears had a chance to repay duluth east for 2005, as in this tournament, duluth east was the heavy favorite. White Bear actually almost won it in the overtime on one of the oddest plays I've seen. Brandon Wahlin tossed a clear down from inside the bears zone and it was a bouncing puck. It was right on net and took a hop just before the crease and changed directions. Jeanneta (sp?) for duluth east had to kick his bad out just in time or the puck was going to go in.

It was a lot like the one we saw Koepple have a hard time with against STA, just was from the other end.
https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/70087

If you go to the hub, go down to the bottom of the articles (just above 2019-2020 scoring leaders) and click show all articles. It goes 201 pages or something like that.

The Catholic school in Maplewood boasts one of the state's most tradition-rich hockey programs. Not until 1975 were private schools allowed to compete in the Minnesota State High School League state tournament. The Pioneers qualified that year, the first of 24 appearances highlighted by championships in 1983, 1991 and 2008.

Along the way, the Pioneers became, as former Burnsville coach Tom Osiecki said half-jokingly, "the private school that taught us to hate private schools."

Here's the link to the 4th in the series which has a link to the first 3 embedded in it: https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/81304
DubCHAGuy

Post by DubCHAGuy »

ndirishfighting wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 pm ???Greenway over EP???

???Greenway over Mahtomedi???
Not an upset. Greenway was that good in 2001!
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

1983 - Hill-Murray beats Burnsville in the final 4-3

1987 - Bloomington Kennedy beats Burnsville in the final 4-1

8)
xy

Post by xy »

Maybe in '83, but didn't Hill finish unbeaten that year? Couldn't have been too big of an upset.

But definitely not '87. Greenway and Kennedy were the two top-ranked teams all year, and Kennedy best Greenway in the semis.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Judging by the records this was an upset, anybody remember anything about this one:

1981: Apple Valley (10-13) over North St Paul (19-5) 4-3 (ot)

I had also forgotten or just not realized that Hill came within two goals of two undefeated seasons in the '80s when the 27-0 Pioneers lost 2-1 to GR in the 1980 championship.

And I'll back up Sparlimb's assertion that the Warroad kid was offsides on their goal in the '88 classic against Edina. It does pain me to say that though, I think everyone in the state minus one cake eating city wanted to see Warroad win that night.

Hill's 2008 win over Roseau definitely deserves to be on this list, even though Hill did have a 25-3 record at the time. Roseau had just looked dominant dismantling Blaine the night before plus they were the defending champs, but Lechner turned in another masterful coaching performance shutting down a very slick skating team with a strong physical game.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Hill was 27-0 going into the '83 championship game

They were chanting "twenty-eight straight" that night in the Civic Center.

That was not an upset [-X
Play Like a Champion Today
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Slap Shot wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:19 pm 2010.

Tonka (26-1 during the season and I believe 10 Div I recruits) went 2-1 vs. Edina (17-6) during the season including a 7-1 decision in January. Sadly the 4-OT game the night before vs. Hill-Murray and a godawful start to the 1st period got the best of them.
I joked with friends and alumni after that championship that Hill cost Minnetonka the title by making them essentially play an extra game the night before.
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

mulefarm wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:13 am Anoka over Holy Angels.
Just bring this up and stab me in the heart!!! Still the biggest for me.....
GO STARS
xy

Post by xy »

Apple Valley's 1981 won-loss record was somewhat illusory as they had to forfeit quite a few games for using an illegal player who had moved from out of state (as we see, transfers are not a new phenomenon . . . ). Jefferson had some additional losses in 1981 for that same reason.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

WendyClark wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:39 pm1983 - Hill-Murray beats Burnsville in the final 4-3

1987 - Bloomington Kennedy beats Burnsville in the final 4-1
1983 was not an upset at all (mentioned below) since H-M was undefeated and Burnsville was merely a very good Lake South team. Their best team on paper was 1985.

1987 isn't an upset because Kennedy was an overwhelming favorite.
Be kind. Rewind.
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

I realize the initial post in this topic referenced the past ten years, but we've now delved into "all-time," and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rochester John Marshall in 1977.

That year--before seeding--the top four teams in the state were in Thursday's evening bracket: Mounds View, Grand Rapids (2-time defending champs), Roseau (Neal and Aaron Broten), and Edina East (one loss). The Hornets made it to the final, while RJM emerged from the other half of the draw. No one gave the Rockets a chance, but thanks to future Badgers Scott and Todd Lecy, future Gopher Jeff Teal, and goaltender Paul Butters--another future Gopher--among others, RJM pulled off the upset. They're still the only school south of the Metro to win the one-class or AA tournament.
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

Enjoy reading all the stories and fun going down memory lane.

I probably should have labeled the thread where does mahtomedi’s upset rank? (In the past 10 year.... give or take). I feel like people in years to follow will may forget due to it being 3 vs 4 matchup but honestly, Saturday morning had a much different feeling. If there was a Vegas line, it would have been around -400. When I took a look at results since 2010, I honestly think it has to be about 2 or 3 on the list.

Thoughts?