Out State Recruitment -- STA this year and going forward

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

smhockey77

Re: Out State Recruitment -- STA this year and going forward

Post by smhockey77 »

deacon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:30 pm Why can’t you pick a school for good athletics and good curriculum?
You can, but MSHSL says you must meet their guidelines to play sports, and athlete(s) on the STA roster do fit the criteria.
deacon

Post by deacon »

Not sure it’s a great idea to post this guys records online. The more I think about it, the more I think that what you’re doing is kind of pathetic.
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

You just know nothing will happen
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

deacon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm Not sure it’s a great idea to post this guys records online. The more I think about it, the more I think that what you’re doing is kind of pathetic.
I did delete, however it is public information. You can have those feelings and that is fine. You don't believe the should be a level playing field? Ineligible athletes should be allowed to play any sport? I am wondering your train of thought. I respect all opinions.
deacon

Post by deacon »

My train of thought is you don’t know the circumstances. And neither does anyone else.
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

smhockey77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:55 pm
deacon wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:51 pm Not sure it’s a great idea to post this guys records online. The more I think about it, the more I think that what you’re doing is kind of pathetic.
I did delete, however it is public information. You can have those feelings and that is fine. You don't believe the should be a level playing field? Ineligible athletes should be allowed to play any sport? I am wondering your train of thought. I respect all opinions.
How about full disclosure yourself smh77......the reason I say that, if you want to publish accusations with personal data then why hide like a cowering punk...obviously you are personally affected and have spent serious time on you accusations...and why wait until now...it's a long season, you had time to come forward earlier
youwish22

Post by youwish22 »

I hate St. Thomas but stop crying
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I wondered how long it was going to take for this to come up. Should have been handled before Sections even started. Should have been handled before the season started.

The big thing that gets lost in this sometimes, don't blame the kids. It's the coaches, administrators, and the parents that allow this type of stuff to happen.
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

nu2hockey wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 pm
How about full disclosure yourself smh77......the reason I say that, if you want to publish accusations with personal data then why hide like a cowering punk...obviously you are personally affected and have spent serious time on you accusations...and why wait until now...it's a long season, you had time to come forward earlier
That's fair and it's not personal data, it's all public information...not personal data of any kind was or is used. Not sure how name calling is necessary.The info became public 2 weeks ago and it was brought to the attention of the MSHSL at that time.

The ongoing purpose is to hopefully change a system that is broke. The MSHSL is not actively enforcing their eligibility rules. There are published rules regarding out of state transfers. None of this is private info and none of this was really known until a few weeks ago. It was thought that the MSHSL would act, but they have sputtered. It's quite possible they will respond at a later date, but sometimes they just let it go. Either way, it would be nice to see the MSHSL enforce the published rules and for all schools to compete on "level" playing field.

As the title said, "this year and going forward". The rules are clear, it would be nice if all schools/players/AD's were held accountable is all.
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

SCBlueLiner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:27 pm I wondered how long it was going to take for this to come up. Should have been handled before Sections even started. Should have been handled before the season started.

The big thing that gets lost in this sometimes, don't blame the kids. It's the coaches, administrators, and the parents that allow this type of stuff to happen.
I agree 100% with this...AD's, coaches and parents allow it all to happen, things should change, otherwise let Shattuck St Mary's in as well and let everyone play.
SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner »

I'm amazed that this is new info to people. I knew about this before the season started. Doesn't anybody look at Elite Prospects? I mean, how does a player go from east coast, to Omaha, and then magically end up in Minnesota his senior season? Shouldn't that be enough reason to ask a few questions?

As far as I'm concerned it's too late to determine eligibility now. It should have been done at the beginning of the year. Doing it now just hurts too many people who are innocent. There are other players on STA, you know.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

smhockey77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:28 pmThe MSHSL is not actively enforcing their eligibility rules.
Organizations like this are reactive in nature, so that makes sense. It isn't realistic to expect them to have the resources to be proactive.

You are taking their lack of a response two weeks ago to be inaction. Possible they are investigating to see if there's anything to your allegation?
Be kind. Rewind.
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

O-townClown wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:34 pm
smhockey77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:28 pmThe MSHSL is not actively enforcing their eligibility rules.
Organizations like this are reactive in nature, so that makes sense. It isn't realistic to expect them to have the resources to be proactive.

You are taking their lack of a response two weeks ago to be inaction. Possible they are investigating to see if there's anything to your allegation?
You might be right and I hope that is the case. I think when a program adds a Senior or Junior from out of state to a Varsity team, a little burden of proof to be on the school/parents seems reasonable, then if things look odd the MSHSL can hold off on declaring someone eligible until further review. I mean, if the family/student is truly within guidelines, it should take about 5 minutes of effort.
thestickler07

Post by thestickler07 »

smhockey77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:28 pm
nu2hockey wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:19 pm

That's fair and it's not personal data, it's all public information...not personal data of any kind was or is used. Not sure how name calling is necessary.The info became public 2 weeks ago and it was brought to the attention of the MSHSL at that time.

The ongoing purpose is to hopefully change a system that is broke. The MSHSL is not actively enforcing their eligibility rules. There are published rules regarding out of state transfers. None of this is private info and none of this was really known until a few weeks ago. It was thought that the MSHSL would act, but they have sputtered. It's quite possible they will respond at a later date, but sometimes they just let it go. Either way, it would be nice to see the MSHSL enforce the published rules and for all schools to compete on "level" playing field.

As the title said, "this year and going forward". The rules are clear, it would be nice if all schools/players/AD's were held accountable is all.
Have some self-awareness man, you created an account here 4 days ago clearly motivated to post this stuff.

You've got an axe to grind, we get it, but it's a really pathetic one.
OBOY

Post by OBOY »

SCBlueLiner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:27 pm I wondered how long it was going to take for this to come up. Should have been handled before Sections even started. Should have been handled before the season started.

Completely agree! This is on the adults in the room. Trent Eigner, MSHSL and the AD at St Thomas. This by any means is not on the kid or the kids parents. These Adults should hold up the integrity of Minnesota Hockey and police themselves if they love the game the way they say they do!

I heard this whole thing came out right after the Rosemount Section game. The Tuesday after the game the player was required to give his Sr Speech at school. (You can go on YouTube and see these St Thomas Sr speeches.). Unfortunately, this kids will never make it to YouTube.

Apparently a teacher at the school who was present at the kids speech heard what he was saying. This teacher actually contacted the Rosemount AD and the MSHSL immediately following the speech stating that St Thomas has an illegal player, stating that this kid talked about how great full he was that Coach Eigner came down and convinced him to come play hockey at St Thomas and how he appreciates all the sacrifices his parents have made by splitting time in Chicago and St Paul. The teacher at St Thomas shows great courage and integrity by reporting this!

Once again nothing at all about the kid and his family, no one should use his name on this public forum. This is however about Trent Eigner!
OBOY

Post by OBOY »

Also, let’s not forget the post game interview with the goalie last night.

Reporter: “Why did you decide to go to St Thomas for your Sr year?”

Kid: “No Comment”
OBOY

Post by OBOY »

SCBlueLiner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:33 pm I'm amazed that this is new info to people. I knew about this before the season started. Doesn't anybody look at Elite Prospects? I mean, how does a player go from east coast, to Omaha, and then magically end up in Minnesota his senior season? Shouldn't that be enough reason to ask a few questions?

As far as I'm concerned it's too late to determine eligibility now. It should have been done at the beginning of the year. Doing it now just hurts too many people who are innocent. There are other players on STA, you know.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Standouts moving to Minnesota and starring at state tourney hardly a new phenomenon. http://strib.mn/32V0hdA

Looks like it’s been going on for the better part of 80 years. Interesting that it started with a bunch of pure small school northern teams. Ha! Too bad they opened the door for this sort of thing. Northern folks should be appalled at this terrible terrible trend they started. SMH. [-X :oops: :^o #-o
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

OBOY wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 pm The Minnesota Model Community based hockey is the best in America! Some schools are starting to skirt the rules. The MSHSL is suppose to police this! They clearly are not.

This rule looks very clear to me.

100.00 Bylaws General Eligibility: General Eligibility

1) Change of Residence:
*Include other minor siblings

If this kids sibling is actually going to school and playing sports in Chicago how did he become eligible to play? He came to St Thomas his Sr year only.

This rule would looks very clear as well. States you are to terminate all occupancy at previous residence. This sounds like the sibling is going to school and playing sports in Chicago. What’s the odds they also moved out of their Chicago hone?

100.00 Bylaws: General Eligibility

1) Change of Residency:
*Terminate all occupancy of previous residence. Must be Bona Fide.

Trent Eigner all he does is recruit! Look at all the move in when he was at North now it’s starting at St Thomas. Hmmm

Let’s do a 5 year experiment:
1) St Thomas
2) Hill Murray
3) Blake
4) BSM
5) Holy Family
6) Cretin
7) Totino Grace
8) Holy Family

Put them in the same section for five years. Let’s see how many top hockey players go to those schools. Let’s remember your picking a private school for education not Sports.

Then the same applies to kids who open enroll. They never do that for sports, do they???
Hockey Is For Everyone
defense

Post by defense »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:16 pm
OBOY wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 pm The Minnesota Model Community based hockey is the best in America! Some schools are starting to skirt the rules. The MSHSL is suppose to police this! They clearly are not.

This rule looks very clear to me.

100.00 Bylaws General Eligibility: General Eligibility

1) Change of Residence:
*Include other minor siblings

If this kids sibling is actually going to school and playing sports in Chicago how did he become eligible to play? He came to St Thomas his Sr year only.

This rule would looks very clear as well. States you are to terminate all occupancy at previous residence. This sounds like the sibling is going to school and playing sports in Chicago. What’s the odds they also moved out of their Chicago hone?

100.00 Bylaws: General Eligibility

1) Change of Residency:
*Terminate all occupancy of previous residence. Must be Bona Fide.

Trent Eigner all he does is recruit! Look at all the move in when he was at North now it’s starting at St Thomas. Hmmm

Let’s do a 5 year experiment:
1) St Thomas
2) Hill Murray
3) Blake
4) BSM
5) Holy Family
6) Cretin
7) Totino Grace
8) Holy Family

Put them in the same section for five years. Let’s see how many top hockey players go to those schools. Let’s remember your picking a private school for education not Sports.

Then the same applies to kids who open enroll. They never do that for sports, do they???
I was only thinking that Breck, SCC, Lourdes, Minnehaha, Duluth Marshal, Holy Angels must all be doing something more honorable??
Otter Hockey Rocks
Reg77

Post by Reg77 »

OBOY wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Completely agree! This is on the adults in the room. Trent Eigner, MSHSL and the AD at St Thomas. This by any means is not on the kid or the kids parents. These Adults should hold up the integrity of Minnesota Hockey and police themselves if they love the game the way they say they do!

I heard this whole thing came out right after the Rosemount Section game. The Tuesday after the game the player was required to give his Sr Speech at school. (You can go on YouTube and see these St Thomas Sr speeches.). Unfortunately, this kids will never make it to YouTube.

Apparently a teacher at the school who was present at the kids speech heard what he was saying. This teacher actually contacted the Rosemount AD and the MSHSL immediately following the speech stating that St Thomas has an illegal player, stating that this kid talked about how great full he was that Coach Eigner came down and convinced him to come play hockey at St Thomas and how he appreciates all the sacrifices his parents have made by splitting time in Chicago and St Paul. The teacher at St Thomas shows great courage and integrity by reporting this!

Once again nothing at all about the kid and his family, no one should use his name on this public forum. This is however about Trent Eigner!
Hold on a minute. Why would a St. Thomas teacher who is in attendance during speech. Contact the Rosemount AD & MSHSL first and not take this to St. Thomas administration? This doesn’t make sense to me
deacon

Post by deacon »

I can think of one, maybe two teachers specifically who would do this, if they’re still there.

Their names start with Z and S.
OBOY

Post by OBOY »

Reg77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:30 pm
OBOY wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Hold on a minute. Why would a St. Thomas teacher who is in attendance during speech. Contact the Rosemount AD & MSHSL first and not take this to St. Thomas administration? This doesn’t make sense to me
Maybe the teacher did!
deacon

Post by deacon »

I’ll also add that senior speeches at STA are somewhat of a big deal. You have to give one in order to graduate The whole school is present and usually your entire family is there along with friends that don’t go there. Kids talk about all sorts of stuff, from really funny stuff to really sad stuff. I remember an upperclassman gave his speech on his mom dying, not a dry eye in the entire school.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

It is clearly not just a private school phenomenon, Mark Hall won six individual wrestling titles and numerous team titles at Apple Valley, he now wrestles for Penn State and has at least one National championship. He played high school football in Michigan in the fall then wrestled in Minnesota in the winter multiple years. Did the family move twice a year? No, of course not. Yet he was eligible every year.

I know some eligibility rules in Minnesota were changed after some kids from out of state were found to be living with high school coaches while their parents remained in other states. However, that was just one change.

I don’t know what the answer is but the MSHSL doesn’t have an enforcement wing and relies on individual schools policing themselves. Someone with more knowledge than me can comment on it but to the best of my knowledge eligibility verification is nothing more than the player signing a piece of paper saying they are eligible.