Mahtomedi vs Warroad

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by elliott70 »

Would like to see a good game but really want Warroad in the final so if they win by 5 I will not complain.

And I have no idea what time this game will start.
karl(east)

Re: Mahtomedi vs Warroad

Post by karl(east) »

The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Looks pretty clear to me Mahtomedi wants nothing to do with overtime. Such nightmares in this tourney for them.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Umm, why is this thread getting no attention? We are looking at the upset of the tournament so far about halfway through this game.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

Stang5280 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:12 pm Umm, why is this thread getting no attention? We are looking at the upset of the tournament so far about halfway through this game.
I'm just holding my breath to see if the second Metro East school in two days knocks off the # 1 seed in their respective class :lol:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

That is the Tradition Rich Metro East..... :idea:
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

Tough day for Foster, the Warroad goalie. Five goals on a dozen shots really hurts.
defense

Post by defense »

Well Warroad???
Mahtomedi is definitely better so far today.
Otter Hockey Rocks
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Classic Suburban playing good puck
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Wow, did not see this one coming. Warroad has carried play, but Dardis has been stellar and the Zephyrs have buried their limited chances.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Holy moly Maht taking the Warriors right to the woodshed
northwoods oldtimer

Bonin2121 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:31 pm Classic Suburban playing good puck
The Lake?! NOT the Classic Suburban is BOSS dammmmmmmmmmmmm
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

Of the big 3 teams (Warroad, SCC, and Hermantown) I wondered if the Warriors might have trouble if their top line didn't produce and they played a team that had more depth. Not sure if that is how it is playing out as I am just tuning in.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
northwoods oldtimer

Goose21 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:41 pm Of the big 3 teams (Warroad, SCC, and Hermantown) I wondered if the Warriors might have trouble if their top line didn't produce and they played a team that had more depth. Not sure if that is how it is playing out as I am just tuning in.
Shades of the Andover game with Warroad bringing the pucks to Dardis but he's been back breaking good. And Maht has capitalized on many a chance
smhockey77

Post by smhockey77 »

karl(east) wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.
Looks like you hit this nail on the head. Nice call.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm That is the Tradition Rich Metro East..... :idea:
With this result and with either EP or Blake eliminated tonight, the TRADITION RICH METRO EAST at that moment is guaranteed 3 of the remaining 5 teams at State. Pretty freaking good!
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
defense

Post by defense »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm
goldy313 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:28 pm That is the Tradition Rich Metro East..... :idea:
With this result and with either EP or Blake eliminated tonight, the TRADITION RICH METRO EAST at that moment is guaranteed 3 of the remaining 5 teams at State. Pretty freaking good!
Cannot argue the results
Otter Hockey Rocks
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

smhockey77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pm
karl(east) wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:50 am The upset is possible, but the Zephyrs need to play a complete game and get great goaltending from Dardis and try to capitalize against Warroad's lower lines. Curious if Warroad will try to line-match or do anything tactically to gain an advantage. That said, their top line is really just a coach's dream: turn those top two loose and let them do their thing. Like the Lawson/Troumbly combo from Greenway a season ago, they're just a delight to watch, though this Warriors team has the added benefit of additional depth and better balance.
Hate to say it, but I did. I thought Warroad's D got way too over-aggressive, which caused problems the other direction and cost them dearly. Dardis was fantastic and it seemed like the Zephyrs got all the bounces, too. We'll see if they can repeat the formula tomorrow.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

karl(east) wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:15 pm
smhockey77 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:58 pm
Hate to say it, but I did. I thought Warroad's D got way too over-aggressive, which caused problems the other direction and cost them dearly. Dardis was fantastic and it seemed like the Zephyrs got all the bounces, too. We'll see if they can repeat the formula tomorrow.
I looked at Warroad's schedule and it wasn't littered with top end teams and that gave me pause. They did beat Cathedral, but I was surprised they didn't play Hermantown. From watching the two games today, the first game was much faster and more skilled. I think Mahtomedi can give Hermantown a game, because they play a defensive style that matched up. Although so did HM and Hermantown dominated them. But anyway, I wonder if Warroad was just over hyped or if they just played terrible today. I didn't catch their quarterfinal, so I only saw the one game.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

God that was painful

Warroad didn’t play bad today.
They just ran into a hot goalie and their goalie, who is usually very good, had a tough, uptight day.

I am willing to bet that, if they played Maht 10 times, they would win 8.

But, hats off to Maht, they made the best of their opportunities.
What is a Green Wave anyway?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

TTpuckster wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm God that was painful

Warroad didn’t play bad today.
They just ran into a hot goalie and their goalie, who is usually very good, had a tough, uptight day.

I am willing to bet that, if they played Maht 10 times, they would win 8.

But, hats off to Maht, they made the best of their opportunities.
Agree with that TT. I'm hoping Maht can make it a game tomorrow but I was looking forward to Hermantown/Warroad.
defense

Post by defense »

I think in both semi finals this afternoon there were four great teams. I think that either game could have ended up exactly opposite of what it did. If they played tomorrow they may have indeed ended up on opposite sides of one sided losses. I think the four teams are just that good that the winners happened to catch their opponent's weakness that day and took it to them on the big stage. No team is overhyped or under seeded.
Otter Hockey Rocks
northwoods oldtimer

A semi's have been darn entertaining for quite a while now. Today was a total dud. Hope it is just anomaly in 2020. Stuff happens hope it ain't a trend.