Question

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Question

Post by kniven »

Leg mentioned at the end of the broadcast that the single A champ play the AA champ on Monday night after the tournament. Would that have an affect on more teams opting down or more teams opting up. And why play AA in sections and at state when you can take an easier path and still play in the final game of the season against the AA champ. And if you do that, you might as well just go back to a one class tournament? Feedback please...
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Nostalgic Nerd

Re: Question

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

I've never like the idea. "A" schools have a much weaker road through the sections and state than "AA". There's also a bias because there are people here who just want the small or northern school to get into a final without having to go through the normal channels of AA grind.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
kniven

Post by kniven »

Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:28 pm I've never like the idea. "A" schools have a much weaker road through the sections and state than "AA". There's also a bias because there are people here who just want the small or northern school to get into a final without having to go through the normal channels of AA grind.
I guess I’m starting to lean into the direction of going back to one class. The same teams get their anyway, mostly. The single A experiment seems to have moved beyond its original purpose.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

kniven wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:32 pm
Nostalgic Nerd wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:28 pm I've never like the idea. "A" schools have a much weaker road through the sections and state than "AA". There's also a bias because there are people here who just want the small or northern school to get into a final without having to go through the normal channels of AA grind.
I guess I’m starting to lean into the direction of going back to one class. The same teams get their anyway, mostly. The single A experiment seems to have moved beyond its original purpose.
Just like we used to hear about single class field: same teams every year.

(Mahtomedi is not a small town. Just a small school district in the 15th largest media market in the country.)
Hockey Is For Everyone
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Not me. Monticello, Luverne, Mankato, Alexandria, TRF, etc. Those teams would never get a chance to sent their kids to St. Paul if it weren't for the small tournament. It does have a place and it does let us see different teams. MAML took Hermantown to a couple OTs. It was a fun game to watch. I'm really excited to see Cathedral and Hermantown today. Could be a better game than any of the AA semis. In the end, its more hockey to watch. And if they are good games, I'm all for it.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Sparlimb wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:46 am
Not me. Monticello, Luverne, Mankato, Alexandria, TRF, etc. Those teams would never get a chance to sent their kids to St. Paul if it weren't for the small tournament. It does have a place and it does let us see different teams. MAML took Hermantown to a couple OTs. It was a fun game to watch. I'm really excited to see Cathedral and Hermantown today. Could be a better game than any of the AA semis. In the end, its more hockey to watch. And if they are good games, I'm all for it.
Exactly.
East Side Pioneer Guy

I don't give a rat's behind is any northern teams get in.
Hockey Is For Everyone
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am I don't give a rat's behind is any northern teams get in.
ahhh what? :lol:
WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:38 am
Just like we used to hear about single class field: same teams every year.

(Mahtomedi is not a small town. Just a small school district in the 15th largest media market in the country.)
Mahtomedi will be AA soon. I think they were only like 50 students below the cutoff recently, and there are a lot of places in that district that will be developed in the coming years.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

If they went back to one class sections would likely be realigned to reduce the spread of dominant AA metro programs. The last single class tournament (1991) had Grand Rapids and Roseau. 1990 also had GR and Roseau. 1989 had RJM, I Falls, Denfeld and Warroad. Etc.

Now some of those programs are not going back to the tournament any time soon, but the point remains that I could see it actually opening up some opportunities and on a much bigger stage.

That said they're not going back to one class.
defense

Post by defense »

It would be aligned likely to reflect the amount of teams in different areas. 8 NW, 7 NE, 1 likely all Southern, they may even have a section 6 only down to st cloud. Never will happen..fun to think about.
Otter Hockey Rocks
East Side Pioneer Guy

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:00 am
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am I don't give a rat's behind is any northern teams get in.
Yeah, if someone has a big button that says, "Push here for guaranteed over-reaction," I just have to push it.
Hockey Is For Everyone
Hunters1993

Post by Hunters1993 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:48 am

Exactly.

It was a great game with SCC and Hermantown wasn’t it. The score was close early but the result was never really in question. More of the same with championship tomorrow. Great hockey!!!!
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:05 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:00 am
Yeah, if someone has a big button that says, "Push here for guaranteed over-reaction," I just have to push it.
ESPG you have been serving up softballs all these years on the HDM saving your best material for 2020 State. Who knew?!
LOL you good humor bro :lol: