Maple Grove vs Blake

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Trout

Re: Maple Grove vs Blake

Post by Trout »

There were so many times they swallowed their whistles on obvious Blake panalties during the game including a no brainer penalty shot and the Miller slash in the first that took away a scoring chance ... fine, the issue is you make 2 soft calls in the last 5 min after the other no calls. In a tie game no less. Can't happen... IMO that was a gift to Blake. MG didnt get one break in that game.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Awesome game!

I was thoroughly impressed with Maple Grove. They were relentless with their physical forecheck and cycle game. They were starting to remind me of 2010 Edina - the "leftovers" after a bunch of superstars, but still with a lot of talent themselves. They played a no-nonsense north-south game.

That being said, Blake's top line, and specifically Joe Miller... wow. They are LETHAL in transition. Maple Grove had the territorial advantage for much of the game but Blake is capable of striking at any time.

The slashing call at the end was weak but I thought the delay of game was correct. The kid absolutely intended to knock the net off.

I hope these Maple Grove kids stay together because they have a chance to be special next year.
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

defense wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 pm
mghockey18 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 pm
defense wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:36 pm The guy did commit a slash.. delay of game is iffy
Not a chance. Also you have to call the two missed holding calls on Blake a few minutes before then. At that point you swallow your whistle unless someone is hauled down on a breakaway or it is a bad check from behind.
Except that the stick came down with force mid way up the other guy's stick and forced it out of his hands.
Not sure I would have it called, but was a slash.
It wasn't in a dangerous area of the ice and didn't result in a scoring chance. You don't call it. Period.
defense

Post by defense »

mghockey18 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:56 pm
defense wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:44 pm
mghockey18 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Not a chance. Also you have to call the two missed holding calls on Blake a few minutes before then. At that point you swallow your whistle unless someone is hauled down on a breakaway or it is a bad check from behind.
Except that the stick came down with force mid way up the other guy's stick and forced it out of his hands.
Not sure I would have it called, but was a slash.
It wasn't in a dangerous area of the ice and didn't result in a scoring chance. You don't call it. Period.
I think refs need to hold it at the end of a game like that, great game either way.
Otter Hockey Rocks
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

I think it's more disappointing that the ref who was over 100 feet away makes that call. I think as a coach, fan, etc. you simply ask for consistency in calls..if down by a G MG may not have been in position for that second penalty call anyway - as with the limited time left and down a goal you have to change how you play and that should not be discounted. Refs have a very hard job and I certainly wouldn't want to do it, so I respect those who do...but I think you have to have a 'feel for the game', and that is a call you don't make at that point.

Not a direct fan of either team -MG should be proud of the fact they came back from down a goal in third, then down two goals again..shows character and hopefully they can rebound by tomorrow. Blake better tighten things up big time or they will have no chance vs EP.
mghockey18

Post by mghockey18 »

mnhockfan99 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:33 pm I think it's more disappointing that the ref who was over 100 feet away makes that call. I think as a coach, fan, etc. you simply ask for consistency in calls..if down by a G MG may not have been in position for that second penalty call anyway - as with the limited time left and down a goal you have to change how you play and that should not be discounted. Refs have a very hard job and I certainly wouldn't want to do it, so I respect those who do...but I think you have to have a 'feel for the game', and that is a call you don't make at that point.

Not a direct fan of either team -MG should be proud of the fact they came back from down a goal in third, then down two goals again..shows character and hopefully they can rebound by tomorrow. Blake better tighten things up big time or they will have no chance vs EP.
The back ref should not ref another game in the tournament.
6AAGuy

Post by 6AAGuy »

Agree too much ref influence on these games, and MG was right there until that kind of ref involvement. That's two games in a row for these calls/non-calls in Blake's favor--if this happens for a third game there may be an inquiry into some of those deep pockets at Blake... [-X
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:53 pm Awesome game!

I was thoroughly impressed with Maple Grove. They were relentless with their physical forecheck and cycle game. They were starting to remind me of 2010 Edina - the "leftovers" after a bunch of superstars, but still with a lot of talent themselves. They played a no-nonsense north-south game.

That being said, Blake's top line, and specifically Joe Miller... wow. They are LETHAL in transition. Maple Grove had the territorial advantage for much of the game but Blake is capable of striking at any time.

The slashing call at the end was weak but I thought the delay of game was correct. The kid absolutely intended to knock the net off.

I hope these Maple Grove kids stay together because they have a chance to be special next year.
Exactly
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Trout wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:49 pm There were so many times they swallowed their whistles on obvious Blake panalties during the game including a no brainer penalty shot and the Miller slash in the first that took away a scoring chance ... fine, the issue is you make 2 soft calls in the last 5 min after the other no calls. In a tie game no less. Can't happen... IMO that was a gift to Blake. MG didnt get one break in that game.
This is a good summary
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Controversy at end of two Blake games in a row

Slash call very very questionable, had a good look

Delay of game seemed legit , hard to ignore

Wasn’t quite sure why Blake penalty shot choice was announced then retracted . I mean how many bites at the apple before a decision is deemed final ? Just asking for a friend . Suppose Lou and Jim made sense of it on broadcast ?

Taking nothing away from Joe Miller , what a game

Btw , amazed Golden Bear made it to the Tourney , well done
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

WestMetro wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:41 pm I mean how many bites at the apple before a decision is deemed final ?
Regis says, "Is that your final answer?"
Be kind. Rewind.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

Horrific call on slash. Crimson played with a lot of heart! WM great to see you and others. GB