Getting the Banned Back Together?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

ChrisK

Getting the Banned Back Together?

Post by ChrisK »

Many, many, many moons ago there was a time when a Shady Bunch participated in board discussions, leading to off the rails threads about the superiority of the Catholic school hockey player and the like. It was a crazy, chaotic and entertaining time, but as with a lot of things that are too much fun, lines were crossed, moderators got cross and folks got tossed. Gradually the board calmed down*, the kids left for Twitter or whatever app-of-the-day they're on now trolling each other and the Shady Bunch dispersed for other pastures.

In January of last year we learned that one of the shadiest of the Shady Bunch had left us for the great Rink in the Sky** and held a small get-together in his honor at the Liffey on Quarterfinal (aka Thirsty) Thursday. Although I wasn't quite shady enough to earn full Shady Bunch status (though starting this thread raises the possibility of joining the banned, I suppose), I had an enjoyable time sharing stories about Neutronian antics with like minded folk.

So in honor of the late, great Shady Bunch I'll be hoisting a Bloody at the Liffey Thursday morning and invite any Shady Bunchers, semi-Shady folks or Shady wannabes like myself to join me. I'll be wearing my usual Gary Sargent 'replica' (I use that term loosely) Bemidji jersey. Unless, that is, you're one of those still holding a grudge against the Shady Bunchers, in which case I'll be wearing a Hill jersey.

*I think we can say that the Hermantown thread would be the exception to the calming down part.

**I'm guessing that one of our moderators is probably thinking that it's more likely that our late Shady Buncher descended to a place where Duluth East always wins, which would be an eternal torment for a number of Shady Bunchers.
It's hard to win when you always lose.
elliott70

Re: Getting the Banned Back Together?

Post by elliott70 »

Chris
Wish I could be there but I will be stuck trying to watch on TV.
Poor planning on my part.
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

I don't know if I've been around long enough but to some I have probably post a shady, a time or too, and I'm staying at the Holiday/Liffy...love bloodys too.
I'll be in..you guessed it Moose gear.
Look forward to meeting a few of you.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

Well lift one for me too, Chris. I do plan to make it back one of these years to enjoy the festivities. I'll be celebrating with a cheer for the shady bunch from a sunnier spot. Have a great time this week...
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Spar, I'll definitely raise a glass to you--and to you, Elliott, give my best to Gary should you bump into him. And Ducks, feel free to join us, at this point it's just me and one of my hockey teammates, but hoping this post will bring some Shady Bunchers out of the woods.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

When I think Shady Bunch, I think of Slapshooter, Videoscout, BelowOZero, and the like. I actually met Below and Videoscout in Duluth one year when Brainerd made the trek to Pioneer Hall to face my beloved Hounds. Nice guys, both of them.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

east hockey wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:39 am When I think Shady Bunch, I think of Slapshooter, Videoscout, BelowOZero, and the like. I actually met Below and Videoscout in Duluth one year when Brainerd made the trek to Pioneer Hall to face my beloved Hounds. Nice guys, both of them.

Lee
I met Videoscout as well. Really nice guy. Never did meet Slapshooter, but he was a treat to see post. That whole Crookston bunch was a fun group...
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

east hockey wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:39 am When I think Shady Bunch, I think of Slapshooter, Videoscout, BelowOZero, and the like. I actually met Below and Videoscout in Duluth one year when Brainerd made the trek to Pioneer Hall to face my beloved Hounds. Nice guys, both of them.

Lee
Indeed, Slapshooter, Videoscout, BelowOZero, Bluesbuddy, packerboy formed the core of the Shady Bunch, though the late Neutron14 was a member in good (or bad?) standing. I think Elliott, Ogee Oglethorpe, Guvs and TomAss had membership cards, too. If Videoscout still makes it to these parts to do some reading, he can correct me if I've missed any core members. A lot of fun was had at the Liffey in the mid-OO's, at least from what I can remember.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

ChrisK wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

Lee
Indeed, Slapshooter, Videoscout, BelowOZero, Bluesbuddy, packerboy formed the core of the Shady Bunch, though the late Neutron14 was a member in good (or bad?) standing. I think Elliott, Ogee Oglethorpe, Guvs and TomAss had membership cards, too. If Videoscout still makes it to these parts to do some reading, he can correct me if I've missed any core members. A lot of fun was had at the Liffey in the mid-OO's, at least from what I can remember.
Bluesbuddy! I'd forgot all about him. :mrgreen:

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Lee
Syd Barret and Angus Young were pretty good too.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

grindiangrad-80 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:00 pm

Lee
Syd Barret and Angus Young were pretty good too.
Good memory, grindiangrad-80! I'd forgotten about those guys, they were definitely Shady.