Announcers for State

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HSPuckFan96

Re: Announcers for State

Post by HSPuckFan96 »

TheNightman wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 am Play by play guy is pretty good, Parrish is not.
Jim Erickson does a great job, has for a long time. I remember listening to him doing HS games with BOB 106.1 before he got the SCSU job.

I don't mind Parrish, but understand why some do not like him. There has to be a bunch of former MN HS players that would do a good job and have name recognition, if that's what they are looking for
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

Just turned it on and Parrish makes a Jefferson reference in the first 10 seconds

Please Mark, stop gushing for one week
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

I’ll start by saying that I could never do what these announcers do. The action is fast paced, you’ve got to think on your feet every moment of the game. Kudos to them. That said, Parrish is not good at this. He gives zero insights. Most of the time it’s just him ooo’ing and aw’ing at things. That’s not what we’re looking for in color commentary. IDK. Maybe I’m being too critical. I just don’t think he adds anything to the broadcast. Literally anyone can just ooo and aww at things or use cliche sayings like “they took their foot off the gas” or “this is how memories are made”
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:11 pm I’ll start by saying that I could never do what these announcers do. The action is fast paced, you’ve got to think on your feet every moment of the game. Kudos to them. That said, Parrish is not good at this. He gives zero insights. Most of the time it’s just him ooo’ing and aw’ing at things. That’s not what we’re looking for in color commentary. IDK. Maybe I’m being too critical. I just don’t think he adds anything to the broadcast. Literally anyone can just ooo and aww at things or use cliche sayings like “they took their foot off the gas” or “this is how memories are made”
I'm starting to wonder if it's a Bloomington Jefferson thing. Ben Clymer is terrible too when doing the Gopher broadcasts.
WendyClark

Post by WendyClark »

Yep Parrish talking about his high school days, what a dope
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Corn Cobb wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:31 pm I'm starting to wonder if it's a Bloomington Jefferson thing. Ben Clymer is terrible too when doing the Gopher broadcasts.
I think you're on to something there, Corn Cobb.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

I don't know if he's not interested, never been approached or not available, but I really enjoyed Casey Hankinson the 1 (2?) year he did Gophers hockey. He wasn't the most exciting guy, but he was coherent, smart and very rarely left you scratching your head. And I doubt he'd ever bring up the jersey he designed when he was still playing. :mrgreen:
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

+1 on Hankinson.

RE Parrish: I don't hate him as much as most here seem to, but I feel his issue he seems to talk more like a coach than color guy explaining what happened or what's going on. Lots of "go to the net"'s and commenting on individual efforts & such.

He's adequate, in my mind.
WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 »

Jim Erickson is legit though, I'm glad they bring him in for this. Does his research and speaks on the players as a very educated play by play guy.
mnhockfan99

Post by mnhockfan99 »

Could use someone else for Palmquist IMO. He coaches a girls HS team during the season, understandable isn't likely going to a ton of boys games to see games and such...would be nice to find someone who watches more boys games and is more well versed in the teams etc. rather than same old crony type who gives us the basics anyone could do.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

West metro would be a good choice.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

While not a game announcer, I like Mike McGraw.
He may not be as slick as others, but being a scout, he isn't a broadcast journalist. But expertise of the game & player knowledge is what I like.
I saw that little animated thing about him at the eye glass shop. [-X
Quick story. 2019 I met Mike at Lakeville North/ Duluth East game. After some chit-chat, I didn't see him for awhile & thought he'd left only to feel a hand on my shoulder. It was Mike & he said "I never got your name." Came back to do that. Class & a nice guy. Didn't have to do that.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

So what did you tell him?
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:14 pm So what did you tell him?
When he was at Spring Lake Park he coached the son of a good friend of mine.
Greenway was slumping at the time & he said I'd only had to worry about H-town. He was right.

I also enjoy Sweet Lou from the Sioux. At his age & as many years as he's done this the boyish enthusiasm & excitement are still there.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

raidergrad72 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:34 pmI also enjoy Sweet Lou from the Sioux. At his age & as many years as he's done this the boyish enthusiasm & excitement are still there.
I believe you mean Sweet Lou from the Soo (or Sault). The guy doing the games on TV is a Gopher through and through. Definitely not from the Sioux!
Be kind. Rewind.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

A nice tidbit from Erickson pointing out a spot in the 3rd period where Blake used the last change to put their top line out against Maple Grove's 4th line and 3rd d-pair. Blake didn't score but created some chances that changed the momentum and led to a goal 20 seconds later.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

“Good old fashioned hard hockey”

How many times you gunna say it.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

O-townClown wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:53 pm
raidergrad72 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:34 pmI also enjoy Sweet Lou from the Sioux. At his age & as many years as he's done this the boyish enthusiasm & excitement are still there.
I believe you mean Sweet Lou from the Soo (or Sault). The guy doing the games on TV is a Gopher through and through. Definitely not from the Sioux!
You're right O-town. Momentary lapse. I believe he's from Sault Ste. Marie Mich.
And I did get your veiled reference to the old name of the N.D. hockey team. :)
WBLPuck99

Post by WBLPuck99 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:20 pm
You're right O-town. Momentary lapse. I believe he's from Sault Ste. Marie Mich.
He's from Canada. Sault Ste. Marie in Canada. Across the river from Mich.
davegopher16

Post by davegopher16 »

While on the topic... can we PLEASE replace Tori Holt? He adds nothing during the interviews, always asks 'canned' questions, and seems to do no research prior to most questions as he's always either looking at his notes or scoreboard. Charlie Beattie is much better and for my 2 cents can do all girls and boys tourney games from now on.
raidergrad72

Post by raidergrad72 »

WBLPuck99 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:23 pm
raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:20 pm

He's from Canada. Sault Ste. Marie in Canada. Across the river from Mich.
I should've stayed out of this one altogether #-o :oops: I actually read that on Wiki earlier this evening. Also didn't realize Lou's been doing this since 1964.
Eastgreaser

Post by Eastgreaser »

Parrish does an amazing job, I wish they would replace Lou Nanne with him already.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I have no problem with the announcers other than I wish they would at least tell us the scores of the consolation and third place games. just like Minnesota hockey hub you can get scores of almost every game all year long until you get to the state tournament consolation series and third place games.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

Eastgreaser wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 am Parrish does an amazing job, I wish they would replace Lou Nanne with him already.
You can't be serious.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Eastgreaser wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 am Parrish does an amazing job, I wish they would replace Lou Nanne with him already.
PSOTY