Section 4AA Final

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

pioneers

Re: Section 4AA Final

Post by pioneers »

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 pm Hill Murray 3-2 over WBL final.
Anyone know if Dylan Godbout is related to Jason Godbout? Unusual name so would almost have to think so.
Jason is his dad
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
tourneytickssince59

Post by tourneytickssince59 »

raidergrad72 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:10 pm Hill Murray 3-2 over WBL final.
Anyone know if Dylan Godbout is related to Jason Godbout? Unusual name so would almost have to think so.
Jason's son
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

https://mobile.twitter.com/mystateofhoc ... 4214563842

How many men with time still on clock ?
nu2hockey

Post by nu2hockey »

While watching the stream last night, there was a television camera in the bottom of the frame .....just below the prepspolight view and announcers

Any idea who or what that was ....

Prepspotlight never showed that view
Nostalgic Nerd

Post by Nostalgic Nerd »

Kind of a dilemma IMO over: Do you cheer for WB so the private doesn't make it to state, or do you want better representation because of how woeful the Bears can be at state? I'm not going to say HM is this great rep at state because they also have a history of losing often at state, especially the finals. Last year it felt to me like WB didn't so much win as HM was so awful dropping passes off sticks and skating over pucks in transition that would have given them quality rushes. I believe HM got a late goal to lose 3-2 but it never felt really close and left early.

This year I'm glad HM didn't do much of this. If you're down 2-0 and come back and win than I can say you earned it. Yes, again WB was largely absent after 2-0 and only really became visible the last two minutes when they finally HAD to get something going. Hill was content icing it a handful of times and of course the Bears missed chances right in front of the crease. I still love this rivalry in many ways, but at the same time it's difficult to care about the Orange because it's like is this team EVER going to win a state title, like SSP boys etc??? I'd have to say that's highly unlikely. About all I can say is thank you to Dave Palmquist and the girls hockey program for the 2000s. The man's a winner.

Last year's quarterfinal vs Blaine was painful as in the 3rd period Blaine I dunno lets say gave them a number of chances to come back and not so much win but generate scoring chances for themselves. As a viewing experience it's pretty painful to watch and was glad they quietly went off into consolation. At this point I really just don't care about them anymore. I mean WHY should I?

The girls last year was incredible to see an goalie stop 50 shots to beat Hill but ultimately was terrible viewing at state. I can laugh at my friend giving me a bad time about criticizing them since it does do a great deal for the community, but nothing for me. This was a team who couldn't complete a pass, generate any scoring opportunities let alone any semblance of a rush up the ice, and even on a scoring chance decided the pair of them were going to skate together instead of creating space. Their one goal at tourney was literally the Farmington defender losing the puck in front of her own goal for a one-timer. #-o

Also it should be obvious missing too many men on the ice wasn't what lost the game for the Bears. It was the Bears themselves.

Edit: Bears winning a state title in my lifetime is highly unlikely. I hope I'm proven wrong.
I can splash in the rink puddles!
hockeychopper

Post by hockeychopper »

Bottom line it was a great HS hockey game. We as fans are very lucky to have this caliber of hockey in our backyard and you can't ask for anything more. Coaching aside (Lechner is far superior) these kids left everything on the ice for a chance to play next weekend. Hats off to all these kids on the both teams! I believe the better team won last night and will represent Section 4AA well in the tourney.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

Let's not blame this on Coach Tim. We need to shut that down right off, and make sure he's behind the WB bench for years to come.

You may have difficulty locating the City of Hill-Murray on a map, but it will be a ghost town next Thursday. The town will absolutely shut down.
Hockey Is For Everyone
East Side Pioneer Guy

BlueLineSpecial wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:04 pm Good times being able to stream the game. Not sure who the announcer was, but he did a great job. I was pretty nervous after the pioneers went down 2-0. As the game wore on HM took control. Bears had plenty of good chances. Congrats boys!
Bears should have followed Kevin Gorg's advice, that the most dangerous lead in hockey is 2-0. WB should have kept it 0-0 as long as they could.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Always the single reliably best HS hockey game in the metro every year , in terms of competition and atmosphere . Did not disappoint . Well done once again 4AA teams and 3500 + fans . Good luck to Pios Thursday at the X !
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 am https://mobile.twitter.com/mystateofhoc ... 4214563842

So the too many men on the power play was a penalty. You'll never see an early celebration called. I'm trying to decide this morning though, is it brilliant to celebrate early? You start throwing gear off with 2 seconds left, the other team naturally lets up and looks at the clock. Who knows. Sorry to see a missed call mar what was a really good game.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

2 things were true. HM was the better team for larger stretches, and the officiating was god awful.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 am
WestMetro wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:39 am https://mobile.twitter.com/mystateofhoc ... 4214563842

So the too many men on the power play was a penalty. You'll never see an early celebration called. I'm trying to decide this morning though, is it brilliant to celebrate early? You start throwing gear off with 2 seconds left, the other team naturally lets up and looks at the clock. Who knows. Sorry to see a missed call mar what was a really good game.

Yeah, a veteran Lechner strategy?!?!😀
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

mnpuckster wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:47 am 2 things were true. HM was the better team for larger stretches, and the officiating was god awful.
The first period was one of the best periods White Bear had all year. Hill made adjustments and the rest of the game they had a hard time getting out of their zone clean. The long shifts spent defending and the shortening of the bench seemed to take the jump out of the Bears game and I thought they looked tired early on in the 3rd. Especially the D-men.

The Cottage Grove kids played great. Pierre burned them more than once with his speed. First 2 stride quickness is amazing. Palodichuk had a great game as well, and Quast had a goal.

Bears will not have nearly as good a team next year and Hill will just reload.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

The pace of the 1st period was great. Both teams flying, and WBL specifically throwing the body around. Near impossible to keep that up throughout the game. HM scored on their chances on the rush to be the difference. #7 for HM was electric, and 2 is a very good dman. 27 size and skill also standing out. Might be a little bit before we see this one as a section final again.
East Side Pioneer Guy

WestMetro wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:00 am
Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:43 am

Yeah I couldn't believe my eyes on that. I couldn't begin to count the number of section finals I've seen, and I don't recall seeing that in those circumstances. "Those circumstances" being a one goal margin with the puck in the leading team's end. Then to add to it, WB just gave up.
Yeah, a veteran Lechner strategy?!?!😀
Yeah I couldn't believe my eyes on that. I couldn't begin to count the number of section finals I've seen, and I don't recall seeing that in those circumstances. "Those circumstances" being a one goal margin with the puck in the leading team's end. Then to add to it, WB just gave up.

I was on the other end, but it looked like one WB kid was sort of high in the slot with the puck not too far from him. Weird.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

wbhockey02 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:21 pm Not trying to be a homer, but did anyone else have a problem with the officiating? Pretty weak calls for WB and they missed a BLATANT too many men on the ice that lasted for about 15 seconds. That would have put WB 5 on 3, I just thought it was unbelievable they missed that, everyone was screaming
I thought the 3 straight penalties in the 2nd period did the Bears in. Although HM didn't score, they gained momentum and the Bears looked tired after. I wasn't at the game, but the announcer on the stream kept saying the 3rd penalty was on HM, only to end up seeing another Bear sitting in the penalty box. Typical WBL/HM hockey classic. Did anybody catch the ref taking off the stripes and having a HM t-shirt underneath?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

BodyShots wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:55 am
wbhockey02 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:21 pm Not trying to be a homer, but did anyone else have a problem with the officiating? Pretty weak calls for WB and they missed a BLATANT too many men on the ice that lasted for about 15 seconds. That would have put WB 5 on 3, I just thought it was unbelievable they missed that, everyone was screaming
I thought the 3 straight penalties in the 2nd period did the Bears in. Although HM didn't score, they gained momentum and the Bears looked tired after. I wasn't at the game, but the announcer on the stream kept saying the 3rd penalty was on HM, only to end up seeing another Bear sitting in the penalty box. Typical WBL/HM hockey classic. Did anybody catch the ref taking off the stripes and having a HM t-shirt underneath?
No no. We tend to leave a unmarked envelope under the ref dressing room door. Anonymous and all...
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:10 pm
BodyShots wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:55 am
No no. We tend to leave a unmarked envelope under the ref dressing room door. Anonymous and all...
Don't mention the new Lexus Stripes drove to the game.
Hockey Is For Everyone
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hey Spar, East Side, Pioneers , St Paul and other Pio fans

I was in line at 5:15 last night. You will be happy to know the Hill Murray student section already had a heated tent set up on the plaza. Catered food truck showed up about 5.20 with all kinds of goodies . I left the Bears line and went over to check this all out , and explained I’d seen the Pios 4 times this year and remembered the unbeaten ‘83 team , they let me in and ate what I wanted for free . Buddies too . Well done boys !
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

WestMetro wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:14 pm Hey Spar, East Side, Pioneers , St Paul and other Pio fans

I was in line at 5:15 last night. You will be happy to know the Hill Murray student section already had a heated tent set up on the plaza. Catered food truck showed up about 5.20 with all kinds of goodies . I left the Bears line and went over to check this all out , and explained I’d seen the Pios 4 times this year and remembered the unbeaten ‘83 team , they let me in and ate what I wanted for free . Buddies too . Well done boys !
We're really a welcoming bunch.
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:09 pm
WestMetro wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:14 pm Hey Spar, East Side, Pioneers , St Paul and other Pio fans

Yes, we are a great community.

Pioneer fans will need to be getting plenty of rest the next several days. Once again we get jobbed in the seeding & we will be in the late game every night. It's a burden we accept.
Hockey Is For Everyone
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:19 pm

Pioneer fans will need to be getting plenty of rest the next several days. Once again we get jobbed in the seeding & we will be in the late game every night. It's a burden we accept.
Tisk tisk [-X

'Community' on this forum can only be defined as rigid physical boundaries. You'll have to have grown up within said boundaries or you're an outsider/trader. You must disavow all associations with someone who has left these boundaries. And will should be considered disloyal, heartless for abandoning your friends, and not worthy of admiration (or for some, even a place at the table).

Good day to you sir! :twisted:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:19 pm

In the way back time machine, way back when I was in high school, you stayed in the bracket you started even if you won. So we always wanted HM playing in the morning bracket, because we got out of school. It was truly the way to go...
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

Now the big question is if Roed will return next season.
mnpuckster

Post by mnpuckster »

As for #9 on wbl, I'm not sure what type of tier 1 jr A options he has but if they are there, leaving may not be a terrible choice. The bears team for 2020-2021 will be thin on talent, and more 4 or 5 seed likely in 4AA. He is a good player, didnt have the year many expected. Wish the best whatever he chooses as he works his tail off. Didnt have the grade A looks last night, but he battled in corners and for loose pucks like a beast.
Bears could have used another quality dman or 2, they got exposed from the middle of the game on on the back end.