6AA/2AA Section Final Coverage

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

edgeless2

6AA/2AA Section Final Coverage

Post by edgeless2 »

It is an absolute crime that these kids aren’t able to get the exposure they deserve making it to the biggest section finals in the state. 7AA may have an argument. I’m not sure what the problem is but whoever is holding up a broadcast of this event should be held accountable. I mean are you kidding me? After a trip to State is decided by a penalty shot after the refs put the whistles in their pockets for most of the game, and no one outside of the 3000 people there get to see it, wake up. 21st Century people let’s get on board. I would have paid $20 to stream it 🤷‍♂️
kpryan88

Re: 6AA/2AA Section Final Coverage

Post by kpryan88 »

MSHSL charges $1000 to live stream section finals. It was covered in a different thread.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

MSHSHL sounds very NCAA esque. You get 100 views at $10 that covers that, not that there should be a charge anyway to promote your own athlete’s and league. Hey guys do it yourself, charge for it. Or just gtfo of the way.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

8AA Spuds.TV can pony up the G but not enough cash in the twin cities? Something else is going very wrong.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Edgeless .

One Neutral Description of what happened

Defense got beat at the blue line, then slashed at Best and lost his stick . Clutched at Best to hold him well before low slot . Textbook.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Thx Westy!
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

This is getting more ridiculous by the minute. No replay no goal judge light, 2 minutes later? Is that a real rule? Truly awful of the MSHSHL for any fans that cannot make it to the oooch. Where was this rule in 13-14? When Jefferson beat Edina at Breamar?
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Here is a solution, stop going to Mariucci! A decade ago I think the rental rate was $10,000. That is why most sections left, if you allow streaming even less people go and the sections lose more money.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

The goal light did come on after the goal/non-goal. I didn’t think it was a goal, it clanked loudly making me think it hit crossbar. But I thought it was strange they didn’t call it a goal when the goal light came on, maybe the refs didn’t notice it initially. After play stopped a linesman asked the goal judge to walk all the way around to the scorer’s box to explain what he saw so perhaps the refs didn’t see the light. My only guess? Otherwise, what’s the point of a goal judge if the refs can simply wave it off? (Other than a high stick or kick, etc.)
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

The goal light came on for a split second and then was turned off (literally on for maybe a second). Ref on ice in right corner waived no goal. I was at the far blue line watching so didn't have an angle to see if in or not....it made a very loud "tink" and shot out quickly...I thought crossbar just from the noise. Kind of weird to call a goal two and a half minutes later at the first stoppage of play.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

kpryan88 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:11 pmMSHSL charges $1000 to live stream section finals. It was covered in a different thread.
I do not believe it is standard across all sections. Last year when SOH stepped up they still didn't have the two games from Mariucci. I believe some sections are a thousand. Did hear the number $900 for another, but am not 100% certain my source is accurate.
Be kind. Rewind.
GottaloveHShockey

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

It’s infuriating that a game could’ve very well ended differently based on a goal judges claim. Even tho everyone else in the arena thought it only hit the crossbar. Or did anyone else actually see it go in? If so, speak up! I guess that’s the point of a goal judge. Do rules state that they can overturn the officials call?

Chaska could very well be heading to the X had that first “goal” not been called 5 minutes after the play. Not a fair and square win by EP IMO. Regardless, good luck to them. Phenomenal games tonight in these 2 sections.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

GottaloveHShockey wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:32 pm It’s infuriating that a game could’ve very well ended differently based on a goal judges claim. Even tho everyone else in the arena thought it only hit the crossbar. Or did anyone else actually see it go in? If so, speak up! I guess that’s the point of a goal judge. Do rules state that they can overturn the officials call?

Chaska could very well be heading to the X had that first “goal” not been called 5 minutes after the play. Not a fair and square win by EP IMO. Regardless, good luck to them. Phenomenal games tonight in these 2 sections.
One more thing on this - do the rules say that they have to reset the game clock back to the time of the goal? Did they reset it? My dad and I were talking and weren’t sure whether or not they did.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

edgeless2 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:08 pm I’m not sure what the problem is but whoever is holding up a broadcast of this event should be held accountable.
I disagree that there is a "problem" as you say. Accountable? He/she IS accountable, which is why the Mariucci night hasn't been streamed. The broadcast rights to these two games have value. I doubt people will agree on what that value is, but is absolutely is not zero. The rights have value.

MSHSL has a budget and not many revenue sources. Spare me the notion that the kids aren't provided with exposure or that the high school league is somehow negligent in promotion of the HS hockey "product". I am very familiar with every other option for 16-18 year old hockey in North America and Minnesota HS games routinely have more NHL, NCAA, and free-to-play Junior scouts than other levels. Information on games and players is readily available through the MSHSL official site - MNHockeyHub.com. It's a great place for kids to play.

Every family with a kid playing Midget or Junior hockey in North America pays 30 bucks a month for a HockeyTV subscription. The moment a Minnesota HS game goes from free to watch online over to a pay model the viewership decays to a trace. If 2,500 people assured me like you just did that you'd pay 20 to stream, I'd go offer MSHSL 40 grand tomorrow so I could make 10,000 easy in one night. There aren't 2,500 people who would commit to pay that, so for the time being Mr. Accountable is okay to have a live viewing only night. I don't blame them one bit.

For the record, I paid $23 to watch. 10 to park and 13 for the ducat. One would think the market would see 20 bucks as a bargain. History has shown otherwise.
Be kind. Rewind.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:34 pm One more thing on this - do the rules say that they have to reset the game clock back to the time of the goal? Did they reset it? My dad and I were talking and weren’t sure whether or not they did.
They did back the clock up about a minute or so. I'm not sure what the actual rule is but if it's like NHL, anything that happened after that goal like a Chaska goal or a penalty is wiped out.
SWPrez

Post by SWPrez »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:34 pm
One more thing on this - do the rules say that they have to reset the game clock back to the time of the goal? Did they reset it? My dad and I were talking and weren’t sure whether or not they did.
I am not sure what the rules were, but clock was down around 7:00 when play stopped. After calling the goal they reset the clock to 9:26.
Bayside Tigers

Post by Bayside Tigers »

I thought it hit crossbar based on how quickly it came back into play-yet I questioned if it might’ve gone in. I trusted the ref saw it, but I second guessed it & was thinking how nice a replay would be on the Jumbotron of that one. Worth noting the EP student section immediately roared as if it was a goal (naby ask them, as they were down on the goal line/corner where it was scored) and their band who was sitting with them started playing so the band members must’ve also seen something they liked. They awkwardly stopped about idk, naby 10 seconds later when they realized play had resumed.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

O-townClown wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:40 pm
edgeless2 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:08 pm I’m not sure what the problem is but whoever is holding up a broadcast of this event should be held accountable.
I disagree that there is a "problem" as you say. Accountable? He/she IS accountable, which is why the Mariucci night hasn't been streamed. The broadcast rights to these two games have value. I doubt people will agree on what that value is, but is absolutely is not zero. The rights have value.

MSHSL has a budget and not many revenue sources. Spare me the notion that the kids aren't provided with exposure or that the high school league is somehow negligent in promotion of the HS hockey "product". I am very familiar with every other option for 16-18 year old hockey in North America and Minnesota HS games routinely have more NHL, NCAA, and free-to-play Junior scouts than other levels. Information on games and players is readily available through the MSHSL official site - MNHockeyHub.com. It's a great place for kids to play.

Every family with a kid playing Midget or Junior hockey in North America pays 30 bucks a month for a HockeyTV subscription. The moment a Minnesota HS game goes from free to watch online over to a pay model the viewership decays to a trace. If 2,500 people assured me like you just did that you'd pay 20 to stream, I'd go offer MSHSL 40 grand tomorrow so I could make 10,000 easy in one night. There aren't 2,500 people who would commit to pay that, so for the time being Mr. Accountable is okay to have a live viewing only night. I don't blame them one bit.

For the record, I paid $23 to watch. 10 to park and 13 for the ducat. One would think the market would see 20 bucks as a bargain. History has shown otherwise.
Relax O...

My only point is it’s exposure. Especially national exposure. Why wouldn’t a league promote their product? Makes no sense to me? 🤷‍♂️
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

edgeless2 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:37 pm 8AA Spuds.TV can pony up the G but not enough cash in the twin cities? Something else is going very wrong.
Agreed: seems weird that Moorhead can find the cash (not just for the section title game either: they had all three playoff games streaming) but all these rich schools in the Twin Cities cant?

Certainly if they went the WDIO route of making it pay-per-view, then they would easily make their money back.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

Regarding the no goal overturned to goal in the Eden Prairie/Chaska game, here’s a replay showing the puck apparently hitting the inside of the goal https://twitter.com/rypaul21/status/123 ... 57024?s=21. At the game, my friend and I thought it hit crossbar and came out, but it happened so fast. I asked someone who was listening to the KFAN+ broadcast what their take was and they mentioned it looked like a good goal based on replays.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
HSPuckFan96

Post by HSPuckFan96 »

ryguyMN wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:30 am Regarding the no goal overturned to goal in the Eden Prairie/Chaska game, here’s a replay showing the puck apparently hitting the inside of the goal https://twitter.com/rypaul21/status/123 ... 57024?s=21. At the game, my friend and I thought it hit crossbar and came out, but it happened so fast. I asked someone who was listening to the KFAN+ broadcast what their take was and they mentioned it looked like a good goal based on replays.
That's a good look, glad to see they caught it so people can see the truth and not debate whether it was a goal or not.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

I also thought the penalty shot call in overtime was correct in the Blake/Benilde game and admire the refs for having the guts to make that call in that situation. Clear scoring opportunity taken away from the Blake shooter as he was bearhugged by the Benilde defender in the offensive zone after the defender lost his stick. That was a fun, back and forth game and the SOG did not tell the story at all. Felt like the momentum was in Benilde's favor towards the end of the game, but then the situation in overtime happened and Blake capitalized on the opportunity.

Two big calls last night, one in each game, and glad to see the right decision was made in each case.
Last edited by ryguyMN on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
GottaloveHShockey

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

Thanks for the link Ryguy! Glad to see it was the right call after all. So I guess EP did win fair and square 😏. 100% agree with that call against Benilde for the penalty shot. Unfortunate, but the right call. It was looking as if the red knights were going to take the win before that too. Too bad, but I’m excited to see the bears in their first AA tourney!
xy

Post by xy »

There's something very nice at the end of the video clips I've seen of the penalty shot. The Blake goalie, on his way to celebrate with his team in the pile, stops to console the Benilde goalie, and they hug each other. Hats off to a classy kid for doing that.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

[quote]It’s infuriating that a game could’ve very well ended differently based on a goal judges claim. Even tho everyone else in the arena thought it only hit the crossbar. Or did anyone else actually see it go in? [quote]

I was there I had perfect view of it, I was cheering for Chaska, it was a goal (100%) certain. I had friends sitting next to goal judge behind goal. I immediately looked at them and they were signaling goal. I would have loved if Chaska won so I would like to say it wasn't a goal but it was. How they got to the right call, who knows but it was the right call. GB