6AA Semi Analysis and Final Prediction

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

6AAGuy

6AA Semi Analysis and Final Prediction

Post by 6AAGuy »

A few observations from both 6AA semis this weekend:
Blake/Edina:
--Blake played a complete game—showing good puck movement and speed
--Pretty significant difference between Blake’s lines 1 and 2, and 3 (decent drop). Played mostly 2 lines
--Expected Edina to bring more—but after 1.5 periods they looked tired, not hungry and undisciplined
--Lots of talent never came off of Hornet bench
--Reid was solid in net
BSM/Cretin
--Good back/forth, with Gleason standing out among a rink full of talent
--BSM rolled 3 (apparently equal) lines—all appeared quite strong and healthy—waves of forecheck and pressure simply wore Cretin/Gleason down
--Both tenders turned in strong games

What to expect in Blake/Edina final at Mariucci Wednesday (6pm game):
--Speed and puck movement
--Both teams with something to prove (Blake to advance for 1st time, the Red Knights looking to exorcise the demon from last year’s Final loss to Edina at the Ucci). The entire team was there and is returning.
--Strong goaltending at both ends
--Result: With these teams quite close on paper, BSM gets the nod. Their depth will be the difference over the course of this game.

What say you?
O-townClown

Re: 6AA Semi Analysis and Final Prediction

Post by O-townClown »

Blake's defense hasn't gotten enough credit. Svenddal & Dexheimer should be in a discussion of the top D pairs this season. Bears have speed and won't be outskated by anyone.

Benilde is the deepest of the Section VI teams.

I see these as pretty equal teams with games between them as a toss-up. Benilde won the regular season match at home, so I'm going to pick Blake on the wide ice in a memorable one. Bears showed their mettle when they overcame a lot to beat Eden Prairie and absolutely ran Edina out of BIG Saturday.

Either could win 4 straight from here and be state champions, although I feel Blake would be the more likely one by virtue of getting a higher seed should they advance.
Be kind. Rewind.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

For all the love Giles got pre-season that team never got better. Not to say he’s not going to have rough seasons but he does seem like a coach for more talented teams and not a guy who’s gonna coach em up ala O’Leary who gets good teams and they tend to get stronger as they buy into his coaching style. Giles really showed no versatility this year with with only 5 D’1’s on his team. They just didn’t get any better.
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

It was interesting to me that the Hornets unveiled a trap for the last two games of the regular season in what appeared to be preparation for the playoffs. Then, in the playoffs they went back to their normal forecheck. Just an observation. I think Giles is an outstanding coach who has done as well as anyone could at Edina. This group just wasn't going to win it all. Top-15 in the state and a section semis exit was about right for their level of talent.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm It was interesting to me that the Hornets unveiled a trap for the last two games of the regular season in what appeared to be preparation for the playoffs. Then, in the playoffs they went back to their normal forecheck. Just an observation. I think Giles is an outstanding coach who has done as well as anyone could at Edina. This group just wasn't going to win it all. Top-15 in the state and a section semis exit was about right for their level of talent.
Don’t disagree with this at all. The point I’m trying to make is they didn’t improve over the season. Maybe Giles is just very good as a talent manager, though I would bet many top 15 teams would have traded rosters with him outright. 5 D-1’s semi final blowout, doesn’t inspire.
Last edited by edgeless2 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

edgeless2 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:31 pm
Brodziak Fan Club wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:13 pm It was interesting to me that the Hornets unveiled a trap for the last two games of the regular season in what appeared to be preparation for the playoffs. Then, in the playoffs they went back to their normal forecheck. Just an observation. I think Giles is an outstanding coach who has done as well as anyone could at Edina. This group just wasn't going to win it all. Top-15 in the state and a section semis exit was about right for their level of talent.
Don’t disagree with this at all. The point I’m trying to make is they didn’t improve over the season. Maybe Giles is just very good as a talent manager, though I would bet many top 15 teams would have traded rosters with him outright. 5 D-1’s semi final exit, doesn’t inspire.
The goalie, 2 D & JIMMMMMY! Who’s the 5th? Borst?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Agree with OTC as far as Blake D really came prepared Saturday . I don’t know how many times they stopped Clark at the blue line with a bump or a decent shove to the boards. D also did good job of lifting Hornet sticks in the slot . I was sitting near center ice close to behind the Edina bench and I could see Clark’s body language frustrated when coming in from shifts

Bear forwards also did some decent forechecking in that game

The last Blake BSm game, BSm played a pretty physical but clean contact game . I didnt see the BSm CDH game but Rknight D must have done well in that one to hold Gleason and the Raiders to one

Both goalies are multi year starters

Should be an interesting matchup, especially if we see both try to play a contact game

Joe Miller definitely the most complete player in this game and playing at a high level, and Bears are believing in themselves

But I guess the game will probably come down to a key save here and there , so I’ll give the edge to Limesand and the RK
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

If EP’s goaltending holds up...EP isn’t losing to Chaska. Steeves is on FIRE right now & their 1st Line is playing better than any in the State. And the big ice sheet should favor EP too. As far as Blake vs BSM, not sure beyond it being an entertaining game, haven’t seen Blake play since HDM in less than ideal ice conditions, while I saw BSM crush STMA & then get crushed by EP during the same week. But WM is correct, whichever goalie plays the best will be a crucial component for the winner☝️
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Why do some call Benilde BSM and others BSm?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Sorry Elliott, just a question of finger slip ups on I phone cap lettering
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:57 pm Sorry Elliott, just a question of finger slip ups on I phone cap lettering
:lol: