2020 Section Tournament Scores Thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Re: 2020 Section Tournament Scores Thread

Post by goldy313 »

6-4 Hastings......30 seconds

Final!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

What a miserable day for the South Suburban Conference. Even South struggled.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:09 pm 6-4 Hastings......30 seconds

Final!
The "Rich Tradition" of the metro east comes through again. Can't be denied. STA over Rosemount, Hastings over Lakeville North and H-M sneaking by Irondale. What a conference =D>
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

What about Tartan? Mahtomedi? South Saint Paul?

The only losses the “tradition rich” Metro East Conference have this postseason are to other “tradition rich” Metro East Conference teams! What other conference can say that? Imagine the carnage if the MSHSL spread those teams out more....
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

Observations from a semifinal Saturday......
A Faribault player told me semifinal Saturday is the toughest game you play, normally you play with in front of a couple hundred people with nothing at stake. Here you play in a big arena in front of 1500 or more people with your season at stake. You can’t just walk into this and win your first time, experience matters. I have watched these games in Rochester for the 20 years or so they have been played here but never made that connection. In retrospect that kid was right on.

Dodge County is a very good team, they probably never played in front of more than 300 people in their lives, I would put the crowd at 1800 for their game today against East. East is a regular in semifinal Saturday and plays West twice a year. A big crowd doesn’t intimidate them. Matt Salzle would see serious minutes on any team in the state. East controlled the game, played Brody Lamb like a Penn State linebacker, sticking their face mask in his chest. East underachieved this year in my opinion but showed their experience when it mattered. Dodge County will be a fringe top 10 A team next year, they learned a lot today and will be better for it.

West beat a short handed Faribault team they had beat twice before. Not a surprise. Faribault was senior heavy and was competitive all game, just not as deep as West. East and West split this year, East is more talented, West is deeper. Should be a good game.

AA
South probably has at least two D1 kids, Century’s best player left for the USHL and I doubt anyone else plays above the tier 3 level yet it was a 2-1 game with 3 minutes to play. Their goalie is one of the best in the state but no one will give him credit because of where he plays. Century graduates a ton and gave it their all against a top 10 team. Experience matters and South had it. They were by far the better team but let Century hang around, they are pretty lucky to still be playing, no sense of urgency.

Hastings was a number 1 seed last year but had not played in a semifinal Saturday before and came out timid and were run over by an experienced South team. This year was the exact opposite, Hastings came out flying and North was very lucky to only be down 1 after the first period, Mayer kept North alive. Hastings is as fun a team to watch offensively as any since the Poehling brothers in 1AA, when they are on. As I said they are as consistent as mud. For North Anello was non existent, something must have been wrong with him, that said Hastings was missing 2 key players who were scratched.

1A....Intracity games are unpredictable, I will give East the edge with Salzle bing the best player on the ice. 3-2 East

1AA.....South is the easy pick but they struggled mightily with Century, Hastings will have revenge over last years debacle on their mind. This game will come down to goalies, Hastings as a team has been to inconsistent for me to put a ton of faith in them but I think they pull it out 4-2. Plus you have the tradition rich Metro East conference against the sad sack South Suburban.

FWIW by my estimation Dodge County had the biggest student section today, Hastings was second, Century third but only Century had a band. South fourth, East fifth, Faribault sixth, West seventh, and North last. I expect a huge Hastings crowd on Thursday night.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:09 amObservations from a semifinal Saturday......
Thanks for the depiction. I feel like I was there.
Be kind. Rewind.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

goldy313 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:09 am Observations from a semifinal Saturday......
A Faribault player told me semifinal Saturday is the toughest game you play, normally you play with in front of a couple hundred people with nothing at stake. Here you play in a big arena in front of 1500 or more people with your season at stake. You can’t just walk into this and win your first time, experience matters. I have watched these games in Rochester for the 20 years or so they have been played here but never made that connection. In retrospect that kid was right on.

Dodge County is a very good team, they probably never played in front of more than 300 people in their lives, I would put the crowd at 1800 for their game today against East. East is a regular in semifinal Saturday and plays West twice a year. A big crowd doesn’t intimidate them. Matt Salzle would see serious minutes on any team in the state. East controlled the game, played Brody Lamb like a Penn State linebacker, sticking their face mask in his chest. East underachieved this year in my opinion but showed their experience when it mattered. Dodge County will be a fringe top 10 A team next year, they learned a lot today and will be better for it.

West beat a short handed Faribault team they had beat twice before. Not a surprise. Faribault was senior heavy and was competitive all game, just not as deep as West. East and West split this year, East is more talented, West is deeper. Should be a good game.

AA
South probably has at least two D1 kids, Century’s best player left for the USHL and I doubt anyone else plays above the tier 3 level yet it was a 2-1 game with 3 minutes to play. Their goalie is one of the best in the state but no one will give him credit because of where he plays. Century graduates a ton and gave it their all against a top 10 team. Experience matters and South had it. They were by far the better team but let Century hang around, they are pretty lucky to still be playing, no sense of urgency.

Hastings was a number 1 seed last year but had not played in a semifinal Saturday before and came out timid and were run over by an experienced South team. This year was the exact opposite, Hastings came out flying and North was very lucky to only be down 1 after the first period, Mayer kept North alive. Hastings is as fun a team to watch offensively as any since the Poehling brothers in 1AA, when they are on. As I said they are as consistent as mud. For North Anello was non existent, something must have been wrong with him, that said Hastings was missing 2 key players who were scratched.

1A....Intracity games are unpredictable, I will give East the edge with Salzle bing the best player on the ice. 3-2 East

1AA.....South is the easy pick but they struggled mightily with Century, Hastings will have revenge over last years debacle on their mind. This game will come down to goalies, Hastings as a team has been to inconsistent for me to put a ton of faith in them but I think they pull it out 4-2. Plus you have the tradition rich Metro East conference against the sad sack South Suburban.

FWIW by my estimation Dodge County had the biggest student section today, Hastings was second, Century third but only Century had a band. South fourth, East fifth, Faribault sixth, West seventh, and North last. I expect a huge Hastings crowd on Thursday night.
Great observations, and you are correct, South does have at least 2 D1 kids, considering both Ludtke brothers are already committed to Nebraska-Omaha.
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:10 pm What a miserable day for the South Suburban Conference. Even South struggled.
South will be fine. Not surprised Rosemount lost, they’re known to under perform.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

goldy313 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:24 pm What about Tartan? Mahtomedi? South Saint Paul?

The only losses the “tradition rich” Metro East Conference have this postseason are to other “tradition rich” Metro East Conference teams! What other conference can say that? Imagine the carnage if the MSHSL spread those teams out more....
They are all still alive as well. That was all tongue-in-cheek though. I'm happy for Hastings no matter what conference they are in. I like to see new blood at state. I wish Rosemount and Prior Lake had both made it. But it wasn't their year...
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

For Prior Lake the next two years are probably their years. They will have their chance.

For Rosemount.......this was their year. As an outstate guy.....I’ll never understand why twin cities kids look around and go “hey......we have a really good group here! I’m going to go play somewhere else.”. Even though I don’t understand it I hope it keeps happening. You have to wonder how good this Rosemount team could have been if they had just stayed together.
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

30 games yesterday..........NO overtime games
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Joe2015 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:23 pm30 games yesterday..........NO overtime games
Incredible
Be kind. Rewind.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Section 8 guy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:16 pm For Prior Lake the next two years are probably their years. They will have their chance.

For Rosemount.......this was their year. As an outstate guy.....I’ll never understand why twin cities kids look around and go “hey......we have a really good group here! I’m going to go play somewhere else.”. Even though I don’t understand it I hope it keeps happening. You have to wonder how good this Rosemount team could have been if they had just stayed together.
It's "all about me", that's why.
Eagles93

Post by Eagles93 »

Section 8 guy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:16 pm For Prior Lake the next two years are probably their years. They will have their chance.
I feel like we've been thinking that for the last few years. The group that won PeeWee state title a few years ago has come and gone, and while I don't think they won any other titles, they've had strong showings at state tourneys at Bantams and PeeWees. PL just doesn't seem to do well at the high school level for some reason. Only one trip to the section finals in 2016.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Eagles93 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:28 pm
I feel like we've been thinking that for the last few years. The group that won PeeWee state title a few years ago has come and gone, and while I don't think they won any other titles, they've had strong showings at state tourneys at Bantams and PeeWees. PL just doesn't seem to do well at the high school level for some reason. Only one trip to the section finals in 2016.
This Prior Lake team passed most expectations I think, their best players were sophomores. These next two years should be the best teams they've had.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Armstrong Cooper up 1-0 after one and apparently dominating?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Big UPSET BREWING in Section 2A

#4 Armstrong/Cooper 3 #1 Orono 0 after 2 :shock:
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Just went final
4-0 A/C with empty net goal
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Delano 1, Breck 1 after 1
14-6 shots Delano
ted2you

Post by ted2you »

Any update on the Delano game?
ted2you

Post by ted2you »

Any update on the Delano game?
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

ted2you wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:48 pm Any update on the Delano game?
3-1 Delano after 2
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Delano won 4-2
Brodziak Fan Club

Post by Brodziak Fan Club »

Shout out to the AC Wings. A great win to add to a fun season. Happy for them.
gitter

Post by gitter »

InThePipes wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:07 am

It's "all about me", that's why.
100% accurate. I can't tell you how many mites in our association are playing at MN Made. Mites.