Hermantown Jr D Joey Pierce Commits to UMD

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Re: Hermantown Jr D Joey Pierce Commits to UMD

Post by kniven »

Congratulations, Joey Pierce!....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

Hermantown is the gift that keeps on giving for UMD. Congratulations to Pierce - he is truly a special player with a bright future.
north_bear

Post by north_bear »

Congrats to the little town of Ely for producing an outstanding hockey player.
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

north_bear wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:52 pm Congrats to the little town of Ely for producing an outstanding hockey player.
Very true! I should almost add an asterisk to my comment above.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

north_bear wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:52 pm Congrats to the little town of Ely for producing an outstanding hockey player.
Yes, there have been so many players developed elsewhere that have finished their high school careers in Hermantown. That is why they rule the small class that was meant for small town programs. That being said, I wish Joey the best, great player and fun to watch!
Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck »

Congrats Ely, MN natve.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:38 am
Yes, there have been so many players developed elsewhere that have finished their high school careers in Hermantown. That is why they rule the small class that was meant for small town programs. That being said, I wish Joey the best, great player and fun to watch!
The whole Hermantown conundrum aside...Joey is a good get for tUMD☝️They have a number of high end D coming in the next couple years to replace the historic Fab Five D Freshmen (from 2017-2018) and Joey is another brick in the wall 👍 He plays with tenacity from the blue line, likes to throw a big hit & has a great shot from the point. In other words, he plays like a Bulldog 😉
Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater »

I would venture to guess Hermantown HS contributed more to his growth than Ely HS could have... Love to see UMD keep the northern boys home.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

hockey59 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:23 am
The whole Hermantown conundrum aside...Joey is a good get for tUMD☝️They have a number of high end D coming in the next couple years to replace the historic Fab Five D Freshmen (from 2017-2018) and Joey is another brick in the wall 👍 He plays with tenacity from the blue line, likes to throw a big hit & has a great shot from the point. In other words, he plays like a Bulldog 😉

59 - I attribute Joeys decision timing to the long discussion you and I had with Dad after Joeys fantastic Hill Murray game!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:09 pm
hockey59 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:23 am

59 - I attribute Joeys decision timing to the long discussion you and I had with Dad after Joeys fantastic Hill Murray game!
lol...I think Joey & Dad already had their mind made up...but he did play terrific that day, and shortly after the Dogs closed the deal with Joey =D>
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Yoopskater wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:04 pm I would venture to guess Hermantown HS contributed more to his growth than Ely HS could have... Love to see UMD keep the northern boys home.
False. Kid was already fantastic when he arrived in H-town. Would have been UMD material either way.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Saw Joey several times the summer after 8th grade , and he was playing two years older at that time. He already had a blistering wrister from the blue line and was not bashful about shooting the puck

I’m sure Htown strong bantam and varsity schedule after that , fall Elite League , as well as a year playing forward all really helped him develop to where he is today
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

WestMetro wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm Saw Joey several times the summer after 8th grade , and he was playing two years older at that time. He already had a blistering wrister from the blue line and was not bashful about shooting the puck

I’m sure Htown strong bantam and varsity schedule after that , fall Elite League , as well as a year playing forward all really helped him develop to where he is today
True, but he would have been in Elite League either way, and he would have seen even more varsity ice time in Ely. Would have been dominant through much of Ely's schedule, which may have given him even more creativity and confidence. Possibly.

It's just a dangerous game to start saying "Kid X would have developed better here than there", because then we might as well encourage all good HS players to go to juniors early. Just sayin'. 8)
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

rainier2 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pm
WestMetro wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:15 pm Saw Joey several times the summer after 8th grade , and he was playing two years older at that time. He already had a blistering wrister from the blue line and was not bashful about shooting the puck

True, but he would have been in Elite League either way, and he would have seen even more varsity ice time in Ely. Would have been dominant through much of Ely's schedule, which may have given him even more creativity and confidence. Possibly.

It's just a dangerous game to start saying "Kid X would have developed better here than there", because then we might as well encourage all good HS players to go to juniors early. Just sayin'. 8)
Ranier got to set the table to prosper the ol recruit pipeline.
Congrats to Joey hope it all works out for you kid!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

rainier2 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pmIt's just a dangerous game to start saying "Kid X would have developed better here than there"
Amen.
Be kind. Rewind.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:47 pm
rainier2 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:29 pm

Ranier got to set the table to prosper the ol recruit pipeline.
Congrats to Joey hope it all works out for you kid!
:D Agreed.

Also agree on congrats to Joey. Can't wait to see him in a Dogs uniform!