Cloquet Goalie Quits team

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnmouth

Cloquet Goalie Quits team

Post by mnmouth »

Heard from a parent this morning that Cloquet senior goaltender, Owen Carlson, quit the team yesterday. Texted teammates, talked to the coaches and picked up his equipment.

Confirmation, Knivsy?
kniven

Re: Cloquet Goalie Quits team

Post by kniven »

mnmouth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:05 am Heard from a parent this morning that Cloquet senior goaltender, Owen Carlson, quit the team yesterday. Texted teammates, talked to the coaches and picked up his equipment.

Confirmation, Knivsy?
Confirmed
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

What's the story behind it?
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

InThePipes wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:31 am What's the story behind it?
From what I heard, not happy with the decision to go with a younger goalie for the East game. That may have just been the tipping point, however.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

I was surprised when they went that way Monday. Watching the game Monday cec seemed different from the last time these teams played. Just seemed like they didn’t care
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

So bizarre at this point in the season.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Too bad, he was 92% and three-year starter if I recall right. Against a decent schedule

I always thought he was under rated. Was a pretty decent consistent performer through the good the bad and the ugly

Maybe cooler heads will prevail and he will be back
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

These kids are 17-18 years old and can get emotional. Hopefully OC cools down after a few days and has a change of heart. It would be a real shame for his HS career to end this way, he’s a good goalie & I’m sure a good kid too ☝️
mnmouth

Post by mnmouth »

With this particular parent, the slide to irrelevance with Jacks hockey started with the insurrection that cost Esse his job. As much as this parent appreciated what Jamie Langenbrunner did for youth hockey in Cloquet, the toxicity he brought to the high school team on his short stay back in town perhaps brought about the downfall of a potentially promising run. The parent also commented on the lack of fire against East.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well stated as usual 59!
kniven

Post by kniven »

hockey59 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:57 am These kids are 17-18 years old and can get emotional. Hopefully OC cools down after a few days and has a change of heart. It would be a real shame for his HS career to end this way, he’s a good goalie & I’m sure a good kid too ☝️
Owen Carlson is a great kid. A great kid. 👍👍
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

mnmouth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 pm With this particular parent, the slide to irrelevance with Jacks hockey started with the insurrection that cost Esse his job. As much as this parent appreciated what Jamie Langenbrunner did for youth hockey in Cloquet, the toxicity he brought to the high school team on his short stay back in town perhaps brought about the downfall of a potentially promising run. The parent also commented on the lack of fire against East.

Yes, lets blame the guy who won the North Regional 4 years in a row for someone quitting the team. Also his fault for the lack of fire against East. When does the blame game end?? over and over and over again. He got more out of those kids than he should have to say the least.
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

mnmouth wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:36 am
InThePipes wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:31 am What's the story behind it?
From what I heard, not happy with the decision to go with a younger goalie for the East game. That may have just been the tipping point, however.
I favor the "pick the guy" and ride him philosophy at HS, not saying they need to play every game/minute, although some coaches do that. The HS season is too short to get into a time share and I don't think that does many goalies any favors playing one game a week, just my opinion, different strokes for different folks.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Let's face it, goaltenders are usually people who march to the beat of a different drummer. It's almost a requirement given the stresses of the position. I have never been surprised by any decision a goalie makes. My observation is based on being the parent of a former high school goaltender.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:10 pm Let's face it, goaltenders are usually people who march to the beat of a different drummer. It's almost a requirement given the stresses of the position. I have never been surprised by any decision a goalie makes. My observation is based on being the parent of a former high school goaltender.
the worst is having a head coach who was a "former goalie" in high school....it's like they seek revenge for the torture they went through "back in the day". They think they know how goalies think/work..non-goalie head coaches do their best to stay out of the head of their goalie.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Really sad to see all of the drama going down at Cloquet. The post Esse era has been quite a ride indeed. It's unfortunate for a solid hockey program :oops: :oops:
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

Agreed
.....non-goalie head coaches do their best to stay out of the head of their goalie.

I also agree with a goalie will never get completely comfortable playing every other. They all need breaks but a number 1 needs to be decided before the stretch run. Sometimes with a tough schedule the break never happens....you just hope they stay healthy and enjoy the game.
Never seen any of their games. But I definitely feel the seniors pain.
Best to him!
Bulldog4life

Post by Bulldog4life »

Carlson is rostered with the North Iowa Bulls of the NA3HL.
Duckguy13

Post by Duckguy13 »

Congrats to him, I'm happy to hear he is sticking with it!

Maybe they could have used him against the elks...
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

Duckguy13 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:18 pm Congrats to him, I'm happy to hear he is sticking with it!

Maybe they could have used him against the elks...
Yeah, the Lumberjacks were probably not going to last much longer anyway, but this seems like an odd situation. I've seen way too many coaches make this way too complicated over the years, not sure if that's the case here or not?
northwoods oldtimer

Not the wisest of moves to go sit idle on a NA3HL bench. Had he remained at Cloquet he likely is playing this Saturday in the semi against Rapids.
I hope the kid has a great junior career but make no mistake hockey won't get any easier or "fair".
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 am Not the wisest of moves to go sit idle on a NA3HL bench. Had he remained at Cloquet he likely is playing this Saturday in the semi against Rapids.
I hope the kid has a great junior career but make no mistake hockey won't get any easier or "fair".
So I guess you are saying the goalie that played was the reason for the loss? He had a great game, stopped a breakaway and several back door chances. Way to put the loss on the shoulders of the goalie that stepped in and played very well....
northwoods oldtimer

MWS coach wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:24 pm
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:03 am Not the wisest of moves to go sit idle on a NA3HL bench. Had he remained at Cloquet he likely is playing this Saturday in the semi against Rapids.
So I guess you are saying the goalie that played was the reason for the loss? He had a great game, stopped a breakaway and several back door chances. Way to put the loss on the shoulders of the goalie that stepped in and played very well....
You imply a bit too much there ol MWS "coach" never even brought the other kid up. YOU DID!
Talking about one kid the senior, wished he had stayed at Cloquet and lead as a senior and played out the season and moved onto NA3HL after his season was over. What's your point other than posting troll material? You funny guy!
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:38 pm
MWS coach wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:24 pm
You imply a bit too much there ol MWS "coach" never even brought the other kid up. YOU DID!
Talking about one kid the senior, wished he had stayed at Cloquet and lead as a senior and played out the season and moved onto NA3HL after his season was over. What's your point other than posting troll material? You funny guy!
"Had he remained at Cloquet he likely is playing this Saturday in the semi against Rapids." Your words, not mine. Isn't that saying with him Cloquet would have likely beat ER and been playing this Saturday against Rapids. You didn't have to bring him up. You implying had he stayed and played he is likely playing against Rapids in the Semi, so his team likely wins with him in net, which deparages the kid that did play. Reminds me of something my dad would say and not understand what it implies by saying it....
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I’m not going to connect the dots regarding my question and it requires a little math.......but is there any chance there’s more to this story than meets the eye?