Section 4AA thread

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Bayside Tigers
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by Bayside Tigers » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:00 pm

SEC Scotty wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:17 pm
and they have hot dogs as big as their heads....
Cracks me up every time.

inthetwine
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by inthetwine » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:49 pm

White Bear is an interesting team, they could lose to Woodbury tomorrow or win the section.

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:59 pm

inthetwine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:49 pm
White Bear is an interesting team, they could lose to Woodbury tomorrow or win the section.
I was just musing this. HM lost twice to Wayzata. Wayzata just lost in the first round of the playoffs (to Edina whom HM beat twice).

It's possible HM wouldn't have made it out of the quaterfinals in 6AA and yet are a #1 seed here.

inthetwine
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by inthetwine » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm

I find it interesting that Hill gets to play the entire section tourney on their home ice .Doesn't seem quite fair does it? Of course the tournament director is Jeff Whistler, a Hill guy

stpaul
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:26 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by stpaul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm

inthetwine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm
I find it interesting that Hill gets to play the entire section tourney on their home ice .Doesn't seem quite fair does it? Of course the tournament director is Jeff Whistler, a Hill guy
Aldrich has a capacity of 3000. The Coliseum closed in 2014. 4AA would have to go 20+ miles away to the other side of the river to find a suitable home other than Aldrich. Jeff Whisler worked at Mahtomedi for 20 years and then Roseville for 7. That also makes him a "Roseville guy" and a "Mahtomedi guy".
Last edited by stpaul on Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:37 pm

stpaul wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm
inthetwine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:08 pm
I find it interesting that Hill gets to play the entire section tourney on their home ice .Doesn't seem quite fair does it? Of course the tournament director is Jeff Whistler, a Hill guy
Aldrich has a capacity of 3000. The Coliseum closed in 2014. 4AA would have to go 20+ miles away to the other side of the river to find a suitable home other than Aldrich. Jeff Whisler worked at Mahtomedi for 20 years and then Roseville for 7. That also makes him a "Roseville guy" or a "Mahtomedi guy".
Not only that, but Hill could not manage to find a full time job for him after his team won the final one class tournament. If I were Wiss, I might still have a chip on my shoulder.

Trout
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by Trout » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:52 pm

It has been said many times but it is ridiculous the advantage. Not one team in the state has this but HM. Absolute joke.

It is 24 miles from WBL or Stillwater to Ridder and takes less time than from EP and on many days Edina for that matter. Roseville is closer than anyone to UofM and they are in 4AA. Andover, FL and ER are traveling to Duluth. I am sure they would all be happy to travel 24 miles. The 8AA teams all travel huge distances.

No team should have this advantage. Period.

stpaul
Posts: 1099
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:26 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by stpaul » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:38 pm

HM was 10-4 in Section finals at the Coliseum and is 3-2 in Section finals at Aldrich. It appears that Aldrich Arena doesn't really provide an advantage. Nobody uses Ridder for high school games. Does the U even make it available?

ifallsin64
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by ifallsin64 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Trout wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:52 pm
It has been said many times but it is ridiculous the advantage. Not one team in the state has this but HM. Absolute joke.

It is 24 miles from WBL or Stillwater to Ridder and takes less time than from EP and on many days Edina for that matter. Roseville is closer than anyone to UofM and they are in 4AA. Andover, FL and ER are traveling to Duluth. I am sure they would all be happy to travel 24 miles. The 8AA teams all travel huge distances.

No team should have this advantage. Period.
Agree with Trout 100%. I don’t care what their section record is at Aldrich, it’s not right.

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:28 pm

Trout wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:52 pm
It has been said many times but it is ridiculous the advantage. Not one team in the state has this but HM. Absolute joke.

It is 24 miles from WBL or Stillwater to Ridder and takes less time than from EP and on many days Edina for that matter. Roseville is closer than anyone to UofM and they are in 4AA. Andover, FL and ER are traveling to Duluth. I am sure they would all be happy to travel 24 miles. The 8AA teams all travel huge distances.

No team should have this advantage. Period.
I thought Duluth East had the same thing. Am I wrong?

And it's not like college football with 100,000 fans for one team. There were as many or more WBL fans at the final last year as HM fans...

ifallsin64
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by ifallsin64 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:03 pm

thought Duluth East had the same thing. Am I wrong?

And it's not like college football with 100,000 fans for one team. There were as many or more WBL fans at the final last year as HM fans...

Doesn’t matter who gets the bigger crowd, still home ice for Hill. Your right about East though, should at least rotate it every other year, North and South.

SEC Scotty
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am
Location: East Metro

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by SEC Scotty » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:15 pm

ifallsin64 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:03 pm
thought Duluth East had the same thing. Am I wrong?

And it's not like college football with 100,000 fans for one team. There were as many or more WBL fans at the final last year as HM fans...

Doesn’t matter who gets the bigger crowd, still home ice for Hill. Your right about East though, should at least rotate it every other year, North and South.
Duluth East home arena is the Heritage Center not Amsoil.

goldy313
Posts: 3498
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by goldy313 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 pm

Trout wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:52 pm
It has been said many times but it is ridiculous the advantage. Not one team in the state has this but HM. Absolute joke.
1AA is played at John Marshall’s home rink, so it is not “not one”.

The section votes where to play the games, majority rules. Clearly others in the section want the games at Aldrich. You have to play the games somewhere and there are only so many rinks capable of holding the games.

inthetwine
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by inthetwine » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 pm

When you play 50% of your games on a rink, that does fgive you an advantage. Also hill gets their home bench, even if they are the away team in playoffs, cause it is wheelchair friendly. They get their own locker room, with game media to review between periods. Also, the Hill booster club gets the proceeds from all games at Aldrich. Is this fair?

Sparlimb
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:11 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by Sparlimb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:10 pm

inthetwine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 pm
When you play 50% of your games on a rink, that does fgive you an advantage. Also hill gets their home bench, even if they are the away team in playoffs, cause it is wheelchair friendly. They get their own locker room, with game media to review between periods. Also, the Hill booster club gets the proceeds from all games at Aldrich. Is this fair?
Are you telling me the bench gives some advantage? This is an arena with the benches on the same side. If it was those stupid college arenas where one bench is next to the penalty boxes, I could agree. But in this case, the benches are on the same side and give no advantage. Unless you think the fact its handicap accessible is unfair. Why are we even talking about this?

May the best team win...

goldy313
Posts: 3498
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:56 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by goldy313 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:30 pm

inthetwine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 pm
When you play 50% of your games on a rink, that does fgive you an advantage. Also hill gets their home bench, even if they are the away team in playoffs, cause it is wheelchair friendly. They get their own locker room, with game media to review between periods. Also, the Hill booster club gets the proceeds from all games at Aldrich. Is this fair?
The AD’s in Eastridge, Stillwater, White Bear Lake, St Paul Central, Cretin, St Paul Washington, Woodbury, St. Anthony Village, North, Tartan, Hill Murray, Mahtomedi, Como, Highland Park, Woodbury, Johnson, Harding, and Roseville seem to think it is ok. They are ones who decided where the games would be. Maybe you should take your cause up with them.

SEC Scotty
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:58 am
Location: East Metro

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by SEC Scotty » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 pm

They do make the fans switch sides when the are the lower seed which is very confusing for some.

ifallsin64
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by ifallsin64 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:04 pm

SEC Scotty wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:47 pm
They do make the fans switch sides when the are the lower seed which is very confusing for some.
But not locker rooms

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:05 am

inthetwine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:49 pm
Also, the Hill booster club gets the proceeds from all games at Aldrich. Is this fair?
Good Lord, just stop at CVS and bring your own Snickers bar if your so worried about the ten cents the booster club gets.

There is always a tip jar out for the other team.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 am

Back in the day, Aldrich was home ice to numerous teams. Harding. Johnson. No. St. Paul. Tartan. WBL. Stillwater. One by one, they all sought greener pastures. If it weren't for Hill,
and the financial investments they have made, the building would hold nothing but dry floor events all year long.

If you want to hold the section final, build your own 4,000 seat arena. Just make sure that it has sight lines as good as Aldrich. Because the sight lines at Vadnais are atrocious for most of the seats.

WBL & Stillwater made deliberate decisions to build the arenas they did. They could have kept playing varsity games at Aldrich. Even today, they could schedule 5 or 6 home games there. You got money they got ice time.

Next weekend is the opening playoff round for the Womens WCHa, which is held at the higher seed's home arena. You ain't getting into Ridder, so forget about that.

Drop the puck, play the game.

WestMetro
Posts: 2905
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by WestMetro » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am

All I know is I will be journeying from the West Metro to Aldrich on the 28th for one the best nights of the hockey season every year , if not the best. I just have to remember my nitro pills for the heart attack third period

ChrisK
Posts: 896
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:39 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by ChrisK » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:12 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:39 am
All I know is I will be journeying from the West Metro to Aldrich on the 28th for one the best nights of the hockey season every year , if not the best. I just have to remember my nitro pills for the heart attack third period
I made that journey two years in a row only to get shut out because the game sold out hours before the start. Not going there again.

I'm still mad at the State Fair for getting rid of the rink in the Coliseum, that was a far better venue for the championship game than Aldrich--not to take anything away from Aldrich, it's one of my favorite arenas, it's just not adequate for that game.

Oh well, I'll always have my beautiful memory of the last goal ever scored at the Coliseum, a freaky, floating puck that dropped behind the Hill goalie into the net, sending Stillwater to the tourney for the first time. I think Sparlimb still sees that one in his nightmares. I will say though that Aldrich holds my favorite hockey memory ever, Johnson's stunning upset of White Bear in 2012, here's a link to a highlight video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2Z31jEuEYQ
It's hard to win when you always lose.

inthetwine
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by inthetwine » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:37 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:44 am
Back in the day, Aldrich was home ice to numerous teams. Harding. Johnson. No. St. Paul. Tartan. WBL. Stillwater. One by one, they all sought greener pastures. If it weren't for Hill,
and the financial investments they have made, the building would hold nothing but dry floor events all year long.

If you want to hold the section final, build your own 4,000 seat arena. Just make sure that it has sight lines as good as Aldrich. Because the sight lines at Vadnais are atrocious for most of the seats.

WBL & Stillwater made deliberate decisions to build the arenas they did. They could have kept playing varsity games at Aldrich. Even today, they could schedule 5 or 6 home games there. You got money they got ice time.

Next weekend is the opening playoff round for the Womens WCHa, which is held at the higher seed's home arena. You ain't getting into Ridder, so forget about that.

Drop the puck, play the game.
It's just too easy!!

Wblhcky2424
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:42 am

Just a heads up for Wednesday night, the Hill/Mounds View game will now be at 5pm and they will not be clearing the building before the start of the WBL/Stillwater game. Ticket prices will be $10 for adults and $6 for students. The previous plan was first game at 4:30 and clearing the building.

East Side Pioneer Guy
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Section 4AA thread

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:04 am

Given that they managed to get out of the quarter finals and (big one here) Hill dispatched that dangerous Irondale squad, things are looking much brighter for the Bears this morning than they did 24 hours ago.

Post Reply