Single A top 20 2/2/2020

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Single A top 20 2/2/2020

Post by elliott70 »

1/26/2020
1 Hermantown
2 Warroad
3 St Cloud Cathedral
4 East Grand Forks
5 Duluth Denfeld
6 Mahtomedi
7 Delano
8 Orono
9 Thief River Falls
10 Eveleth
11 St Paul Johnson
12 Gentry
13 Little Falls
14 Alexandria
15 Monticello
16 North Branch
17 Pine City
18 Greenway
19 Mound-Westonka
20 Hutchinson

Consideration:
Faribault, Princeton, Minneapolis, Dodge County, Int'l Falls
Stang5280

Re: Single A top 20 2/2/2020

Post by Stang5280 »

I know that everyone’s attention is on football this afternoon, but I wanted to wrap these up and publish them before the big game starts.

It was another rather weak week in terms of the lack of matchups between the top Class A teams, though there were a number of A versus AA contests. Nor were there any significant upsets for that matter, so the rankings only featured some minor tweaks. Enjoy the write ups!

1. St. Cloud Cathedral (18-1-1) [LW 1]
W 5-2 @ Alexandria, W 11-2 vs Wadena, W 8-1 @ Monticello, W 9-0 vs Lourdes
The Crusaders had been looking mortal of late, and found themselves tied 2-2 with rival Alex after two periods. But the offense opened up in the third, and the scoring binge continued against Monticello and two lower-end opponents. The level of difficulty now ramps up significantly, as Cathedral pulls a Hermantown and takes on two top ten AA foes at the MAC.
Next: Fri vs Moorhead, Sat vs Wayzata

2. Hermantown (15-1-4) [LW 2]
W 3-1 vs Cloquet, W 4-1 @ Hill-Murray
The Hawks took down two more AA challengers, bringing their record to 7-1-3 versus AA opposition. The Cloquet contest was a bit of a slog, but Hermantown was in prime form against the Pioneers. I was tempted to boost the Hawks to the #1 spot, but Cathedral was dominant in its own right and I want to see how they fare against AA competition this week. By Hermantown standards, a fairly light schedule awaits. The St. Cloud matchup is more interesting than when it was previously postponed, as they have now reeled off eight straight wins.
Next: Tue @ Virginia, Thu @ St. Cloud, Fri vs Superior

3. East Grand Forks (15-3-2) [LW 3]
W 7-0 vs Crookston, W 8-0 @ LotW, W 3-1 @ GF Red River
The Green Wave was overwhelming, rolling over two weaker section opponents and pulling away from Red River in a game in which they outshot the Roughriders 37-12. Tuesday represents the most important day of the regular season for EGF, as they face off with Warroad with the top seed in 8A on the line.
Next: Tue @ Warroad, Fri @ Roseau

4. Warroad (19-2-0) [LW 4]
L 1-3 vs Roseau, W 1-0 vs Moorhead
The Warriors were another team exclusively facing AA competition. Things looked a little rocky after dropping yet another game to rival Roseau, but they bounced back with a nice win over the top-five ranked Spuds. The vaunted offense was held to a single goal in both contests, but Warroad showed that they can also prevail in a defensive battle. As noted above, the EGF tilt is huge, in large part because the top seed in 8A will most likely have a much less stressful semifinal matchup.
Next: Tue vs EGF, Thu @ Bemidji, Sat @ GF Red River

5. Orono (18-2-1) [LW 5]
W 11-3 @ Waconia, W 11-1 vs LDC, W 7-2 @ New Prague
The Spartans decimated three of the weaker Wright County teams, which isn't very informative. The schedule down the stretch is very manageable, and Orono should continue to dispatch their opponents without much difficulty. The Armstrong/Cooper game should be mildly interesting, and will give us an insight about where A/C stands in the 2A pecking order.
Next: Fri @ Hutchinson, Sat vs Armstrong/Cooper

6. Duluth Denfeld (16-4-1) [LW 7]
W 3-2 @ Eveleth, W 7-3 @ Hibbing
By sweeping their final two section games, the Hunters clinched the #2 seed in 7A. They turned the trip to Hoyt Lakes (why?!) into an adventure, nearly squandering a 3-0 advantage, but kept the pedal to the metal Thursday. Interestingly, Denfeld has maintained its two goalie rotation despite Jacob Snyder's 0.939 save percentage ranking among the best in the state. Up next is a weekend swing through the central portion of the state, with the Alex matchup being the Hunters' most challenging remaining contest.
Next: Fri @ Alexandria, Sat @ Sartell

7. Mahtomedi (14-7-0) [LW 6]
L 2-4 @ Stillwater, W 3-2 (OT) vs Hudson
The Zephyrs had a mediocre week, and slip a spot as a result. Much like what happened with Cathedral last week, Mahtomedi controlled the Stillwater contest through the bulk of two periods, but the Ponies popped two scores late in the second, and things turned pear-shaped from there. They were fortunate to pull out a win over Hudson, as the Raiders peppered Dardis with rubber. Coming up, the Zephyrs will be looking to sweep the season series against STA, and then face an old adversary from their Tri-Metro days.
Next: Tue @ STA, Thu vs Breck

8. Delano (14-6-0) [LW 8]
W 7-1 vs Mound Westonka, W 3-1 @ Hutchinson
The Tigers continue to roar, shredding section foe Mound Westonka and taming their big cat brethren from Hutch. With only one section loss (to Orono) Delano has an outside shot at the top seed in 2A if they can take care of business and the Spartans happen to slip up in one of their two remaining section contests. They are solidly favored in both upcoming games.
Next: Thu vs LDC, Sat @ Minneapolis

9. Thief River Falls (12-8-1) [LW 10]
W 6-0 Tue vs LotW, W 5-0 vs Crookston
Not much to glean from the Prowlers mowing down two lesser section opponents. The defense is indeed stingy, with Noah Rupprecht having posted a state-best seven shutouts, and is riding a 171:26 scoreless streak. As always, the question is whether TRF can muster enough offense against the better teams on their schedule. We'll see how they fare versus a resurgent Roseau squad they defeated early in the season.
Next: Tue @ Roseau, Thu vs Red Lake Falls

10. Alexandria (13-7-0) [LW 11]
L 2-5 vs SCC, W 4-0 vs River Lakes, L 0-4 vs St. Cloud
An odd week for the Cardinals, as they went 1-2, but managed to climb up a spot. Alexandria acquitted themselves well against Cathedral, and then stifled a good River Lakes team. The St. Cloud loss is forgivable, as they have been scorching hot of late. The Cardinals will be busy this week with four games on the slate. The Little Falls tilt has big section seeding implications, and the visit from Denfeld will be a nice measuring stick.
Next: Mon @ Fergus Falls, Tue vs Little Falls, Thu @ Brainerd, Fri vs Denfeld

11. Little Falls (17-4-1) [LW 12]
W 4-3 vs Fergus Falls, W 7-1 vs Lourdes
The Flyers nearly stubbed their toe against the middling Otters, but then were treated to palate cleanser against poor, winless Lourdes. Little Falls has a shot at wresting the #2 seed in 6A away from Alexandria if they can avenge their early season defeat at the hands of the Redbirds. Either way, it feels like the two teams are headed for a third showdown in the playoffs.
Next: Tue @ Alexandria, Fri vs Sauk Rapids

12. Eveleth-Gilbert (15-7-0) [LW 14]
L 2-3 vs Denfeld, W 4-3 @ Duluth Marshall
The Golden Bears split their two tilts with Duluth teams. Unfortunately, the Denfeld game was the one that mattered most. E-G's comeback attempt fell just short after falling into a 3-0 hole; this is a microcosm of their season, as the Bears lost numerous close games to superior opponents. E-G has two section contests remaining, both of which appear to be blowouts on paper, so they should end up as the #3 seed in 7A. One of those will be coming up Thursday.
Next: Thu vs Hibbing

13. Monticello (14-6-1) [LW 9]
W 2-1 vs Sartell, L 1-8 vs SCC, W 6-0 @ Chisago
Apparently I cursed the Moose by giving them an aggressive bump in the rankings, as they barely squeaked out a win over Sartell (though the Sabres have been decent lately), then were crushed by Cathedral. The Chisago Lakes victory was a decent recovery, as they had been pesky recently. This weekend's much-anticipated rematch with North Branch may well be a preview of the 5A final.
Next: Tue @ LDC, Sat vs North Branch

14. St. Paul Johnson (16-5-0) [LW 15]
L 3-4 (OT) vs SSP, W 3-2 (OT) @ Gentry
I can't figure out this team, and tend to rank them lower than others. The Governors split two overtime section contests, of course dropping the one against the weaker foe. The Gentry win is impressive, and is Johnson's first real quality victory since TRF back in November. The Governors have most of the week off until hosting a pair of teams from the Range over the weekend.
Next: Fri vs Greenway, Sat vs Hibbing

15. Gentry Academy (16-4-0) [LW 13]
L 2-3 (OT) vs SP Johnson, W 7-3 vs Providence
The Stars flamed out against Johnson, and I guess it makes sense to tuck them in behind the Governors. Given their youth, it's expected that Gentry will be inconsistent, though it wouldn't be surprising to see a rematch between the two teams in the 4A semifinals. A strange hodgepodge of opponents awaits; such is the life of a startup program with an independent schedule.
Next: Tue @ Mankato East, Thu @ Simley, Sat @ Coon Rapids

16. North Branch (16-4-0) [LW 17]
W 10-3 @ Becker, W 6-3 vs Cambridge-Isanti
As expected, the Vikings pillaged two of their weaker section foes. Things got a little chippy on both sides of the Cambridge-Isanti contest, with both sides netting three special teams goals. Again, North Branch needs to avoid falling into this trap against better opposition. The run of 5A games continues, and it's safe to say that this week is the biggest of the Vikings' regular season; the clashes with presumptive section favorite Monticello and surging Princeton will be telling as to whether NB has another tournament run in them.
Next: Tue vs Chisago, Fri @ Monticello, Sat @ Princeton

17. Greenway (7-12-0) [LW 16]
L 1-4 vs Wayzata
The Raiders hung around with a strong Wayzata squad before finally succumbing to the Trojans' depth and physicality. Greenway should collect two section wins this week before traveling to the Cities for two more interesting matchups. The Johnson game will be helpful for ranking purposes, if nothing else.
Tue vs Hibbing, Thu vs Int'l Falls, Fri @ SP Johnson, Sat @ Totino Grace

18. Hutchinson (13-7-1) [LW 19]
W 8-1 vs Redwood Valley, L 1-3 vs Delano
The Tigers romped over lowly Redwood Valley and gave Delano a close battle. That's more than most teams in this range accomplished, and showed that Hutch can compete with some of the top teams. The upcoming schedule is no joke, and we'll see if the Tigers are worthy of sticking around in the rankings.
Next: Tue @ River Lakes, Fri vs Orono

19. Mankato West (13-8-0) [LW NR]
W 4-3 vs Mankato East, W 5-1 vs Faribault, L 1-3 @ Sartell
I had written up so many nice things about West prior to the loss to Sartell. Still, we finally have a clear frontrunner in 1A after the Scarlets avenged an earlier loss to their crosstown rivals, and then emphatically swept the season series from a feisty Faribault group. West doesn't have an obvious strength, but is a well-rounded, experienced group with balanced scoring across two lines. The only upcoming action is a trip to a decent AA Owatonna team.
Next: Tue @ Owatonna

20. Dodge County (16-5-0) [LW 20]
W 5-3 vs Hopkins, W 6-1 vs Windom
While neither victory was particularly noteworthy, the Wildcats extended their winning streak to nine games. Brody Lamb is now tied as the leading goal scorer in Class A with 34, which is impressive in his debut season. The friendly stretch run schedule continues with two more winnable contests.
Next: Tue vs Austin, Sat vs Southwest Christian

Out: Pine City (16-5-0) [LW 18]

Others Considered: Armstrong/Cooper (9-10-1), Breck (10-9-0), Faribault (13-6-2), Princeton (9-10-1), River Lakes (11-8-1), South St. Paul (9-10-3)
Last edited by Stang5280 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

Stang will do a better Write-up

Here is my thoughts:

Section 1A
Favorite: Dodge County
Challengers: Mankato West, Mankato East & Fairbault

Dodge County got Lamb's running mate back in Donovon from Injury should help. The team will have 20 wins by playoffs but haven't really played anyone great. However, what else is there. West just lost to a 5 win Sartell, East is a total mess and Fairbault just doesn't have the resume. Lamb and crew arrive early at the X

Section 2A
Favorite: Orono
Challengers: Delano, Breck, AC Wings

Orono has been very good all year. However, the slip up to Delano shows they can be beat in Section play. Breck is sneaky but I can't see them winning 3 games in a row. AC Wings play an AA Schedule but lost to Breck who they will most likely play in the 4/5 game. Big game for AC Wings this week vs. Orono yet. This Section should be Orono's to win at 18-2-1 right now.

Section 3A
Favorite: Hutchinson
Challengers: New Ulm, LDC & Marshall

Hutch is in the worst spot when it comes to 3A the Favorite. Rarely does the #1 seed win here. I like New Ulm Scoring and LDC's Goalie and Marshall has been disappointing this year but still a player. I could see Marshall being the 4 seed and returning the favor to Hutch and upsetting them in the Semis as Hutch did to them a year ago. I think when the dust settles New Ulm returns to state and gets destroyed in the first round by Hermantown.

Section 4A
Favorite: Mahtomedi
Challengers: St. Paul Johnson, Gentry Academy, Tartan

I think Mahtomedi will roll here. Gentry is too young this year yet to make a run. Dream State Govs what a story but their loss to South St Paul shows flaws. Tartan so inconsistent ... However what a scary semi-final game for the Zephyrs! I think in the end 4A belongs to Mahtomedi like is has every other year.

Section 5A
Favorite: Monticello
Challengers: North Branch, Pine City, Princeton

Monticello is a heavy favorite here. They play a tougher schedule and have been able to dominate Section 5A Teams. North Branch is sneaky but no depth and lack D to make a run at Monti. Pine City doesn't have the goal scorers and Princeton is well dangerous but not gonna win 3 in a row. The Moose return and will be a scary non-seeded team at the X.

Section 6A
Favorite: Cathedral
Challengers: Alexandria, Little Falls and River Lakes

The is Cathedral's Section to lose and they have shown they can do that. Both Alex and Little Falls proved they can play with the Crusaders over the last two weeks. Alex was right there with them missing their top gun and LF outplayed Cathedral for Stretches. I think this is one of those Sections that is a tossup. I will Take Cathedral but won't be surprised to see Alex. The Cardinals seem to have Cathedral's number.

Section 7A
Favorite: Hermantown
Challengers: Duluth Denfeld, Eveleth and Greenway

Hermantown will win. Eveleth great senior core and Denfeld is Young a year away yet and Greenway way to thin. Hermantown needs to win a Title for Bondi and Coach Andrews needs to gain some credibility after a rough go of it in his first two years. Hawks out of 7A or Hermantown might burn down. The Virginia, Proctor, Ely, Hayward etc kids didnt leave their buddies to sit at home come March this time around.

Section 8A
Favorite: None
Challengers: Warroad, EGF and TRF

This is gonna be fun!! 3 very good teams gonna duke it out. #1 Seed is big and will be determined on Tuesday. Warroad needs to beat EGF because TRF has been ultra-close to knocking them off. TRF wants Warroad I am assuming and EGF is playing lights out of late. No idea who wins this. I think in the End its EGF.

State Seeds
1- Hermantown
2- EGF/Warroad
3- SCC
4- Orono
5- Mahtomedi
Unseeded
Monticello
Dodge County
New Ulm

State Quarterfinals
EGF/Warroad vs. Dodge County
Blow out

SCC vs Monticello
Be tight the Moose showed they could play with Crusaders in Stretches.

Hermantown vs New Ulm
UGLY!!!!

Orono vs Mahtomedi
Epic game I think Hagstrom back and Mahtomedi's experience at X pushes them through to Friday.

Semi-Finals
EGF/Warroad vs SCC
Be a great battle will take 8A here.

Hermantown vs. Mahtomedi
Hawks by 4 at least

Championship
EGF/Warroad vs. Hermantown
Hawks win the Small School Title with a bunch of kids from the area small schools!

SHoudl be fun to Watch!!!

Orono vs
kniven

Post by kniven »

Yep
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
knights58

Post by knights58 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 pm Stang will do a better Write-up

Here is my thoughts:

Section 1A

Dodge County got Lamb's running mate back in Donovon from Injury should help. The team will have 20 wins by playoffs but haven't really played anyone great. However, what else is there. West just lost to a 5 win Sartell, East is a total mess and Fairbault just doesn't have the resume. Lamb and crew arrive early at the X

Section 2A

Orono has been very good all year. However, the slip up to Delano shows they can be beat in Section play. Breck is sneaky but I can't see them winning 3 games in a row. AC Wings play an AA Schedule but lost to Breck who they will most likely play in the 4/5 game. Big game for AC Wings this week vs. Orono yet. This Section should be Orono's to win at 18-2-1 right now.

Section 3A

Hutch is in the worst spot when it comes to 3A the Favorite. Rarely does the #1 seed win here. I like New Ulm Scoring and LDC's Goalie and Marshall has been disappointing this year but still a player. I could see Marshall being the 4 seed and returning the favor to Hutch and upsetting them in the Semis as Hutch did to them a year ago. I think when the dust settles New Ulm returns to state and gets destroyed in the first round by Hermantown.

Section 4A

I think Mahtomedi will roll here. Gentry is too young this year yet to make a run. Dream State Govs what a story but their loss to South St Paul shows flaws. Tartan so inconsistent ... However what a scary semi-final game for the Zephyrs! I think in the end 4A belongs to Mahtomedi like is has every other year.

Section 5A

Monticello is a heavy favorite here. They play a tougher schedule and have been able to dominate Section 5A Teams. North Branch is sneaky but no depth and lack D to make a run at Monti. Pine City doesn't have the goal scorers and Princeton is well dangerous but not gonna win 3 in a row. The Moose return and will be a scary non-seeded team at the X.

Section 6A

The is Cathedral's Section to lose and they have shown they can do that. Both Alex and Little Falls proved they can play with the Crusaders over the last two weeks. Alex was right there with them missing their top gun and LF outplayed Cathedral for Stretches. I think this is one of those Sections that is a tossup. I will Take Cathedral but won't be surprised to see Alex. The Cardinals seem to have Cathedral's number.

Section 7A

Hermantown will win. Eveleth great senior core and Denfeld is Young a year away yet and Greenway way to thin. Hermantown needs to win a Title for Bondi and Coach Andrews needs to gain some credibility after a rough go of it in his first two years. Hawks out of 7A or Hermantown might burn down. The Virginia, Proctor, Ely, Hayward etc kids didnt leave their buddies to sit at home come March this time around.

Section 8A

This is gonna be fun!! 3 very good teams gonna duke it out. #1 Seed is big and will be determined on Tuesday. Warroad needs to beat EGF because TRF has been ultra-close to knocking them off. TRF wants Warroad I am assuming and EGF is playing lights out of late. No idea who wins this. I think in the End its EGF.

State Seeds
1- Hermantown
2- EGF/Warroad
3- SCC
4- Orono
5- Mahtomedi
Unseeded
Monticello
Dodge County
New Ulm

State Quarterfinals
Blow out

SCC vs Monticello

Hermantown vs New Ulm
UGLY!!!!

Orono vs Mahtomedi
Epic game I think Hagstrom back and Mahtomedi's experience at X pushes them through to Friday.

Semi-Finals
EGF/Warroad vs SCC

Hermantown vs. Mahtomedi
Hawks by 4 at least

Championship
Hawks win the Small School Title with a bunch of kids from the area small schools!

Orono vs
Alex has Scc’s number? One win, in ot, in four years is having their number???? Let’s put the game in perspective in alex...they outplayed SCC for 7 minutes and were dominated the rest. They had ONE SHOT the first period. were outshot 2 to 1 for the game , at home. Played without their best player? ummmm SCC was missing a future NHL draft pic and a potential mr hockey nominee in Jack smith...who’s coming back this week
No dis respect meant at all to LF or Alex...but cmon. Just start every prediction with “ i really really want them to lose to LF or Alex”.

could alex, lf, river lakes, etc upset SCC? Absolutely. But to honestly put in analysis this is a “toss up”?
ClassAGuy

Post by ClassAGuy »

knights58 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:32 pm
ClassAGuy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 pm Stang will do a better Write-up

Here is my thoughts:

Section 1A

Section 2A

Section 3A

Section 4A

Section 5A

Section 6A

Section 7A

Section 8A

State Seeds
1- Hermantown
2- EGF/Warroad
3- SCC
4- Orono
5- Mahtomedi
Unseeded
Monticello
Dodge County
New Ulm

State Quarterfinals
Blow out

SCC vs Monticello

Hermantown vs New Ulm
UGLY!!!!

Orono vs Mahtomedi

Semi-Finals
EGF/Warroad vs SCC

Hermantown vs. Mahtomedi
Hawks by 4 at least

Championship

Orono vs
Alex has Scc’s number? One win, in ot, in four years is having their number???? Let’s put the game in perspective in alex...they outplayed SCC for 7 minutes and were dominated the rest. They had ONE SHOT the first period. were outshot 2 to 1 for the game , at home. Played without their best player? ummmm SCC was missing a future NHL draft pic and a potential mr hockey nominee in Jack smith...who’s coming back this week
No dis respect meant at all to LF or Alex...but cmon. Just start every prediction with “ i really really want them to lose to LF or Alex”.

could alex, lf, river lakes, etc upset SCC? Absolutely. But to honestly put in analysis this is a “toss up”?
RELAX I still picked your Crusaders to make it to the X and get to Friday. I do feel Hermantown, EGF and Warroad are better than them.

I am just saying it was shocking Alexandria missing their one of two sources of Offense in Strong was tied 2-2 after 2 periods. If I am Alexandria that gives you hope that you can definitely play with them. Yes 1 win but its always close when Alex Plays SCC. In a Section Final if Alex is tied 2-2 after 2 going to the third period and they have shown they can hang with the Crusaders it will be an epic finish.

That said Little Falls will have plenty to say and River Lakes has a goalie who has been unreal numbers-wise. Anything can happen in 6A there is more parity then I would of thought to start the year.

I do think its a Toss Up because both Little Falls and Alex have stuck with SCC quite well in the last 2 weeks. Scc handed the flyers a 2 goal lead in the 2nd and they let Alex back in the game last week. Both those teams now have a better understanding and know they can play with them. Come Playoff time it's Going to be more interesting then I would of thought to start the year.

To me the only run away favorite is Hermantown they have literally destroyed the 7A teams and they should they Have Ely's, Virginia's, Proctor's and etc who they play best players on their team.

It should be a fun Sectional!
knights58

Post by knights58 »

i’m relaxed...just think your logic is interesting. I mean teams losing at home by a combined score of 12-5...and both being out shot 2-1...with SCC missing a future NHL draft pick...makes it a toss up? Anything can happen for sure...but it would be a HUGE upset...
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

Yeah, I'd be surprised if anyone can stay within three goals of Cathedral in Sections. I don't see an upset occurring here. They are that good. When LF was up 2-0 and then 3-1, there was no panic. In fact J Smith and the coach were smiling and laughing as they walked around to the locker room between periods. Plus they get to play Sections at home.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

PageStat Top 20 2/2/20

1. (4) HERMANTOWN 7A
2. (8) ST CLOUD CATHEDRAL 6A
3. (18) EAST GRAND FORKS 8A (+1)
4. (20) WARROAD 8A (-1)
5. (26) ORONO 2A
6. (34) MAHTOMEDI 4A
7. (42) DELANO 2A (+2)
8. (45) THIEF RIVER FALLS 8A (-1)
9. (47) DULUTH DENFELD 7A
10. (49) LITTLE FALLS 6A
11. (51) GENTRY ACADEMY 4A
12. (55) ALEXANDRIA 6A (+2)
13. (57) ROBB ARMSTRONG/COOPER 2A (+2)
14. (58) GREENWAY 7A (-2)
15. (60) MONTICELLO 5A (-2)
16. (64) ST PAUL JOHNSON 4A (+1)
17. (65) EVELETH GILBERT 7A (-1)
18. (66) PINE CITY 5A (+1)
19. (68) NORTH BRANCH 5A (-1)
20. (69) BRECK 2A (+1)

The love for Armstrong/Cooper still baffles me, but I guess their schedule gives them major points, even if they aren’t winning many of those games. I imagine that is also the case for Alex rising back up after losing to the two St. Cloud teams.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

ClassAGuy wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:31 pm Section 1A

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss Mankato West based on the Sartell loss. Sartell has actually been decent lately, with a win over River Lakes and one-goal losses to Little Falls and Monticello. Not a good loss, to be sure, but West outshot Sartell by a 2:1 margin and just couldn’t find the back of the net. The Scarlets are 9-1 in section, with the only loss coming to East on Jan 7. They will almost certainly be the top seed in 1A.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section 1A TOSS UP
Dodge County, Mankato West, Mankato East & Fairbault

Section 2A TWO TEAM RACE WITH A DARKHORSE
Favorite: Orono, Delano
Breck

Section 3A FAVORITE AND 2 DARK HORSES
Hutchinson
New Ulm, Marshall

Section 4A LOCK
Mahtomedi

Section 5A LOCK
Monticello

Section 6A LOCK
Cathedral

Section 7A LOCK
Hermantown

Section 8A TWO POSSIBLE
Warroad AND East Grand Forks

State Tournament LOCK
St Cloud Cathedral and Hermantown in final
Puck8

Post by Puck8 »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am
Section 4A LOCK
Mahtomedi
Disagree that they are a LOCK. I would say Favorite, but I would add Johnson and Gentry as legit challengers. The argument for Mahtomedi is that they’ve played a more difficult schedule and are better prepared. But it’s one thing to play AA and another to play and win those games. They’ve won a couple, but they are not as dominating vs those teams as they’ve been in the past. In addition, they have fumbled against a few teams they should have beaten (Tartan, STA, Stillwater). Gentry has been fairly consistent with some decent wins, and their losses are against legit teams that have all been close (1st game vs TRF notwithstanding). Johnson has some solid wins and comes in with extra motivation (Dream State).

This will be a very fun section to watch and I think someone other than Mahto comes out of this dust storm.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am Section 5A LOCK
Monticello
I agree that Monticello is a heavy favorite, but I don’t think I would ever consider 5A to be locked up given how weird that section tournament tends to be. I wouldn’t be too surprised if North Branch or Pine City emerged as the winner, or possibly even Princeton with how they have played lately.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Puck8 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:15 pm
elliott70 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:38 am
Section 4A LOCK
Mahtomedi
Disagree that they are a LOCK. I would say Favorite, but I would add Johnson and Gentry as legit challengers. The argument for Mahtomedi is that they’ve played a more difficult schedule and are better prepared. But it’s one thing to play AA and another to play and win those games. They’ve won a couple, but they are not as dominating vs those teams as they’ve been in the past. In addition, they have fumbled against a few teams they should have beaten (Tartan, STA, Stillwater). Gentry has been fairly consistent with some decent wins, and their losses are against legit teams that have all been close (1st game vs TRF notwithstanding). Johnson has some solid wins and comes in with extra motivation (Dream State).

This will be a very fun section to watch and I think someone other than Mahto comes out of this dust storm.
There are definitely contenders but as a betting man, this is the way I would go.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Stang5280 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Monticello
I agree that Monticello is a heavy favorite, but I don’t think I would ever consider 5A to be locked up given how weird that section tournament tends to be. I wouldn’t be too surprised if North Branch or Pine City emerged as the winner, or possibly even Princeton with how they have played lately.
Nope, I have this one from a reliable sources that Monticello cannot possibly lose.

Head cheerleader's mother has booked a room at the Holiday Inn in St. Paul.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:46 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:23 pm
Monticello
Nope, I have this one from a reliable sources that Monticello cannot possibly lose.

Head cheerleader's mother has booked a room at the Holiday Inn in St. Paul.
Ha, I may be a spring chicken compared to some of the board denizens, but you are giving my declining eyesight a lot of credit with that tiny text :wink:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Class 1A | Feb. 6, 2020
rank team record prev

1. St. Cloud Cathedral 18-1-1 1
2. Hermantown 16-1-4 2
3. Warroad 20-2-0 3
4. Orono 18-2-1 4
5. East Grand Forks 15-4-2 5

6. Mahtomedi 14-8-0 6
7. Duluth Denfeld 16-4-1 7
8. Delano 14-6-0 9
9. Alexandria 15-7-0 8
10. Little Falls 17-5-1 10

Only change is Delano and Alexandria
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:45 am Class 1A | Feb. 6, 2020
rank team record prev

2. Hermantown 16-1-4 2
3. Warroad 20-2-0 3
4. Orono 18-2-1 4

6. Mahtomedi 14-8-0 6
8. Delano 14-6-0 9
9. Alexandria 15-7-0 8

I realize that Alexandria lost to St. Cloud and struggled to defeat Fergus Falls, but it seems odd to drop Alex a spot after pasting Little Falls. If nothing else, at least drop LF out of the top 10.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Stang5280 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:35 pm
rank team record prev

2. Hermantown 16-1-4 2
3. Warroad 20-2-0 3
4. Orono 18-2-1 4

6. Mahtomedi 14-8-0 6
8. Delano 14-6-0 9
9. Alexandria 15-7-0 8

I realize that Alexandria lost to St. Cloud and struggled to defeat Fergus Falls, but it seems odd to drop Alex a spot after pasting Little Falls. If nothing else, at least drop LF out of the top 10.
Elliot always has Alex a few spots lower than most people. He once told me we could be considered 218, but he rates us as a 507. Sometimes he is right and sometimes he is wrong. :lol:
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

zooomx wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:47 pm
Stang5280 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:35 pm
rank team record prev

2. Hermantown 16-1-4 2
3. Warroad 20-2-0 3
4. Orono 18-2-1 4

6. Mahtomedi 14-8-0 6
8. Delano 14-6-0 9
9. Alexandria 15-7-0 8

Elliot always has Alex a few spots lower than most people. He once told me we could be considered 218, but he rates us as a 507. Sometimes he is right and sometimes he is wrong. :lol:
I think he was just posting the LPH/Hub rankings, but that was still good for a laugh at Elliott’s expense!