"Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
HockeyStorm
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:42 pm

"Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by HockeyStorm » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Last edited by HockeyStorm on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corn Cobb
Posts: 409
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:16 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: "Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by Corn Cobb » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Perhaps, they could petition for a sales tax bump from all of the communities that they pull their high school roster from.........

warriors41
Posts: 656
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:40 pm

Re: "Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by warriors41 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Hermantown is not asking the state to pitch in $28M for an arena. It’s asking for permission to raise the sales tax in their own city to fund the stadium over 20 years, and if permission is granted they will ask the residents to vote on the measure. It is not remotely the same thing that you are suggesting. They are trying to fund it themselves, but need to permission from the state to add the additional sales tax of 0.5%.

Edit to add: this funding also includes upgrades to baseball fields, a basketball court, walking trails, and an existing arena. Read the article and be objective.

nu2hockey
Posts: 641
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Re: "Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by nu2hockey » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Nothing special about this...good for them...New Ulm used sales tax money to build their rink....the only thing is that the special sales tax assessment is still being collected even after receipts had surpassed the amount needed for rink...city now puts those receipts into general fund so they can be spent however they want


The title of this stream is misleading....

ShakestheClown
Posts: 124
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: "Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by ShakestheClown » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:52 pm

nu2hockey wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:59 pm
Nothing special about this...good for them...New Ulm used sales tax money to build their rink....the only thing is that the special sales tax assessment is still being collected even after receipts had surpassed the amount needed for rink...city now puts those receipts into general fund so they can be spent however they want


The title of this stream is misleading....
=D>

I'm not a fan of how Hermantown chases banners, but I am a fan of letting the populace decide how to spend its money. If they decide to spend it on an arena then so be it.

Potatohead9
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:36 pm
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes

Re: "Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by Potatohead9 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 am

warriors41 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 pm
Hermantown is not asking the state to pitch in $28M for an arena. It’s asking for permission to raise the sales tax in their own city to fund the stadium over 20 years, and if permission is granted they will ask the residents to vote on the measure. It is not remotely the same thing that you are suggesting. They are trying to fund it themselves, but need to permission from the state to add the additional sales tax of 0.5%.

Edit to add: this funding also includes upgrades to baseball fields, a basketball court, walking trails, and an existing arena. Read the article and be objective.
I hope they are successful with their sales tax. Moorhead has 5 indoor rinks (two built by the city-now owned by Moorhead Public Schools) and three rinks at the Cullen Hockey Center, two rinks built with the State's Mighty ducks money and the third recently completed with Matt Cullen's support. Moorhead has a strong community support for their program.

kniven
Posts: 2979
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: "Single A" school asks state to help fund $28M Arena

Post by kniven » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Potatohead9 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:54 am
warriors41 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:45 pm
Hermantown is not asking the state to pitch in $28M for an arena. It’s asking for permission to raise the sales tax in their own city to fund the stadium over 20 years, and if permission is granted they will ask the residents to vote on the measure. It is not remotely the same thing that you are suggesting. They are trying to fund it themselves, but need to permission from the state to add the additional sales tax of 0.5%.

Edit to add: this funding also includes upgrades to baseball fields, a basketball court, walking trails, and an existing arena. Read the article and be objective.
I hope they are successful with their sales tax. Moorhead has 5 indoor rinks (two built by the city-now owned by Moorhead Public Schools) and three rinks at the Cullen Hockey Center, two rinks built with the State's Mighty ducks money and the third recently completed with Matt Cullen's support. Moorhead has a strong community support for their program.
5 indoor rinks. That’s amazing!! And good for Hermantown 🥅🥅.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Post Reply